Does anyone else think Seattle won the trade?

Did the Seahawks win the RW trade?

• Yes

Votes: 101 90.2%
  • No

Votes: 11 9.8%

• Total voters

Palmegranite

Reaction score
Big Ben's style is very different from Russ'. One could argue Ben's style ages better as it rely less on athleticism.
Not sure why you're even discussing age. Aaron Rodgers is old. Big Ben older. Brady is really old. Age isn't really relevant in this discussion though.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
We have a team where some of our biggest strengths require a fantastic QB, in a league where if you don't have a great QB, you don't have a chance.

We win the trade when or if we find another top-tier QB to win with...not before.

It is too early to make a judgment on it. Because yes we escaped a giant cap hit, but had we had that cap hit...we would have had the QB to go with it. Which would mean we would have a chance to attract a better coach and we would have still been a playoff team. Now, we have to hope that Carroll can win with average QBs and what looks like a barely average roster. Or hope we can get fortunate again and find an overlooked QB in a league that is turning over every rock to find great QBs.

Wilson was a bit insufferable, self-centered, and even embarrassing. But as long as we had him we still had a chance. Now we don't (unless we can find another QB).
The last three years+ proves that Mr. 3 & out-master Wilson wasn't the answer, & didn't fill the role as the "Fantastic QB" that you speak of, and besides, Denver is the 'Big Market' that Wilson coveted.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Only time will tell the whole story. I think the Hawks made a reasonable trade and solidified it with what appears to be a great draft. Yet even with that the only outcome that will qualify as a win to most posters here is for the team to play for a championship. Which is the same measurement used the last 10 years.

As for Denver they get an immediate win with the amped up hype surrounding the addition of a HOF QB. Aside from that I think they are in a losing situation. Much like this fan base the broncos faithful will be underwhelmed with even one SB win. Expecting multiple SB’s to justify winning the trade is improbable for many reasons.

The idea that the Hawks are better off not paying a QB $50 mil a year seems like a path to Jets level ineptitude. If they do find the next franchise QB should they move on the minute he deserves to be paid? The next generation of star QB’s will be looking for 70mil a year. It will always be expensive to have the best and without the best they have a very small chance of winning the prize.

On a side note…could you imagine if the NFL didn’t limit a players earning potential with the salary cap, they would be paying top QB’s 100 mil a year.
If Wilson had been showing even incremental GROWTH, advancing past all those damned 3 & outs, and could have shown improvement while playing against all those better Rams type Defenses, then yes, you reward him, trouble is, he was NOT, and it dumped all the 'Time of Possession' pressures, right back onto the Seahawks Defense, wearing them down to the nub.
Russell Wilson = All the accolades, None of the blame....Pete Carroll & the rest of the Coaches & team-mates = All the blame, None of the accolades...I don't think so.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Lost a aging QB who wants 5 yrs and $50 million per-Win
Lost a QB who's brand TeamRuss is the team he plays for-Win
Gained 3 players AND 2 more players this year for only one-Win
Gained extra first and second round picks next year also-Win
I can't see anything we lost besides the dead money for a year.
Enjoy your "Let's Ride" Denver..He's taking you for one!

Own The West

Reaction score
Russ was an anchor preventing the team from evolving. I think the front office played it perfectly; last year they gave him one last chance to get his @&$# together and this year they turned the page on the 2012 team to start anew.

Lots of folks had been lamenting our string of first round playoff exits, and now the same ol same ol cycle has been broken! Some here want to say Pete’s too old or you can’t win without an elite QB — well guess what? Pete just spent the last decade winning the toughest division in football and went to two Super Bowls with a good, not great, QB.

I’m stoked! We did the surgery and it will take a little time to recover, but the patient finally has a chance to get better.

rcaido

Reaction score
I always thought Wilson was going to play majority if not all of his career as a Seahawk. I still cant believe he is gone. With that said, no we did not win in this trade. You dont giveup a HOF QB or changing a playoff team to a below bottom tier team, as winning a trade. We are gambling to find a qb for several years maybe decade to find one if not more. Meanwhile our highest paid players will be our wide receivers and we have two backup QBs to throw to them. We have one of the oldest head coach & a predictable one that wont change his ways, who is relying on an often injured RBs & rookie RB to carry the team for the future. The only superstar on defense is Adams and we have no idea how to use him.

I do like our draft picks probably the best since 2012.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Not sure why you're even discussing age. Aaron Rodgers is old. Big Ben older. Brady is really old. Age isn't really relevant in this discussion though.
If Russ ain't able to scramble like he did when he first came into the League, "Age" absolutely does play a role....Rodgers & Brady play an entirely different System that Wilson does.
I just read an article where some good Defenses named Rodgers & Brady BOTH as the toughest Quarterbacks to play against, as they could read & adjust against their Defenses extremely well....Wilson used to be one of the toughest to bring down as he was both YOUNGER & QUICKER...Age plays a role for scramblers.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
I always thought Wilson was going to play majority if not all of his career as a Seahawk. I still cant believe he is gone. With that said, no we did not win in this trade. You dont giveup a HOF QB or changing a playoff team to a below bottom tier team, as winning a trade. We are gambling to find a qb for several years maybe decade to find one if not more. Meanwhile our highest paid players will be our wide receivers and we have two backup QBs to throw to them. We have one of the oldest head coach & a predictable one that wont change his ways, who is relying on an often injured RBs & rookie RB to carry the team for the future. The only superstar on defense is Adams and we have no idea how to use him.

I do like our draft picks probably the best since 2012.
Diggs and Brooks ain't nothing to sneeze at.

toffee

Reaction score
If Russ ain't able to scramble like he did when he first came into the League, "Age" absolutely does play a role....Rodgers & Brady play an entirely different System that Wilson does.
I just read an article where some good Defenses named Rodgers & Brady BOTH as the toughest Quarterbacks to play against, as they could read & adjust against their Defenses extremely well....Wilson used to be one of the toughest to bring down as he was both YOUNGER & QUICKER...Age plays a role for scramblers.
Nailed it, couldn't say it better.

toffee

Reaction score
The last three years+ proves that Mr. 3 & out-master Wilson wasn't the answer, & didn't fill the role as the "Fantastic QB" that you speak of, and besides, Denver is the 'Big Market' that Wilson coveted.
love how your "" big market, lol, that got me googling:

population for Seattle metro 4.02 million, Denver metro? 2.96 million. We have Portland (2.51 million) and Vancouver BC (2.64 million) close by. Denver? may be Salt Lake City (1.26 mil), Fort Collins (0.36 mil) and Colorado Springs (0.76 mil). No, Seattle is a much bigger market, with more substantial industries .

Torc

Reaction score
I don't think we'll know who "won" for a couple of years.

I'm a huge fan of Russ, and there are few if any QBs I'd want instead of him at the end of the game when you've got to score. But I have to acknowledge that he ignored half of the field (the middle half), that he held on to the ball when he had open receivers in the short/mid ranges in favor of the bomb, and that his Fran Tarkenton spin move now results in devastating sacks more often than miracle getaways. He's still a marvelous QB despite all of that, and if the Broncos really do tailor their offense around his strengths (and why wouldn't they?) then they'll have success with him. That's a win for them.

On the Seahawks side, they got a solid draft haul, and in the first year of that haul made what project to be major improvements on the offensive line as well as some much needed depth in the RB room with a guy that many said was the best RB in the draft. They also drafted some highly rated defensive prospects, maybe even an immediate starter. They got a solid TE prospect in the trade, and a QB that I'd rather kick the tires on than any in this year's draft. If that QB doesn't do well, they're in solid position to get a really good prospect in the next draft, and even the capital to trade up to get a great one. The Hawks also lost a player who was only going to be more expensive than ever to keep (whenever he signs a new contract it'll be the richest QB contract up to that point, until the QB after him signs).

Really, minus a crystal ball, this trade looks to be a solid one for both teams. If I could have a Russell Wilson who was genuinely enthused to be a Seahawk, then maybe I would feel differently. But I don't think that was an option anymore.

rcaido

Reaction score
Have you not seen his stats the past years before the injury? He has been the top 3 each year. He did not have the quickness or elusiveness like his first 5 years but he was throwing tds like a mad man. He had the most tds in a 4 year stretch(2017-2020). He was only behind Mahomes & Brady in wins, but Seahawks had the way tougher division.

Wilson is a true winner and will continue to win wherever he plays. In the next 10 years if no freak injury/early retirement, Wilson will at least double the amount of wins & playoff appearance then the Seahawks.

This will go down as one of the worst trades in recent sports history.

toffee

Reaction score
Have you not seen his stats the past years before the injury? He has been the top 3 each year. He did not have the quickness or elusiveness like his first 5 years but he was throwing tds like a mad man. He had the most tds in a 4 year stretch(2017-2020). He was only behind Mahomes & Brady in wins, but Seahawks had the way tougher division.

Wilson is a true winner and will continue to win wherever he plays. In the next 10 years if no freak injury/early retirement, Wilson will at least double the amount of wins & playoff appearance then the Seahawks.

This will go down as one of the worst trades in recent sports history.
Houdini acts and 3-and-outs, we enjoyed watching both.

Spohawks

Reaction score
I think people forget that Russ wanted OUT! He held the no trade clause and could have shut the whole thing down, but he didn't.
What were the Hawks options?
1)Trade his butt and get what they can.
2) Keep him for 1 more year where he could get hurt mid season and get jack nothing for him when he is a free agent.

Yes, its going to take some time to see who won, however If Russ gets hurt anytime from now to 3 seasons OR the Hawks pull a few Pro Bowlers out of that trade...then the Seahawks easily win.

Cross, Fant and next years 1st has an excellent chance to make it to a Pro-Bowl level.

Smellyman

Reaction score
I don't think we'll know who "won" for a couple of years.

I'm a huge fan of Russ, and there are few if any QBs I'd want instead of him at the end of the game when you've got to score. But I have to acknowledge that he ignored half of the field (the middle half), that he held on to the ball when he had open receivers in the short/mid ranges in favor of the bomb, and that his Fran Tarkenton spin move now results in devastating sacks more often than miracle getaways. He's still a marvelous QB despite all of that, and if the Broncos really do tailor their offense around his strengths (and why wouldn't they?) then they'll have success with him. That's a win for them.

On the Seahawks side, they got a solid draft haul, and in the first year of that haul made what project to be major improvements on the offensive line as well as some much needed depth in the RB room with a guy that many said was the best RB in the draft. They also drafted some highly rated defensive prospects, maybe even an immediate starter. They got a solid TE prospect in the trade, and a QB that I'd rather kick the tires on than any in this year's draft. If that QB doesn't do well, they're in solid position to get a really good prospect in the next draft, and even the capital to trade up to get a great one. The Hawks also lost a player who was only going to be more expensive than ever to keep (whenever he signs a new contract it'll be the richest QB contract up to that point, until the QB after him signs).

Really, minus a crystal ball, this trade looks to be a solid one for both teams. If I could have a Russell Wilson who was genuinely enthused to be a Seahawk, then maybe I would feel differently. But I don't think that was an option anymore.
What is playing to Russell Wilson's strengths? What are they?

For all the coaching crtiscisms I believe we are about to see how much the Seahawks coaches played to his strengths. Russ believes he is Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes and Burrow which he is not. Be interesting to see what Russ forces the Denver coaches into playing into his 'strengths' this year manifests into

Ruminator

Reaction score
Whether we "won" this trade doesn't matter to me because I don't care how well the other team fares, I just care about the Seahawks. Was this trade worth doing, and will it help the team over the next few years? That's an easy "yes" for me because of RW's declining ability to sustain drives, the 2022 and 2023 draft picks we acquired, and the fact we now have four picks in the first two rounds of the 2023 draft that will feature some very interesting QB prospects.

toffee

Reaction score

For all the coaching crtiscisms I believe we are about to see how much the Seahawks coaches played to his strengths. Russ believes he is Brady, Rodgers, Mahomes and Burrow which he is not. Be interesting to see what Russ forces the Denver coaches into playing into his 'strengths' this year manifests into
Lol, let Russ Cook? Which insinuated that he wasn't allowed to play the way he wanted to. That and the abilities to run the front office, ie bring in players that he wants, and decision making on coaching staffs too.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
love how your "" big market, lol, that got me googling:

population for Seattle metro 4.02 million, Denver metro? 2.96 million. We have Portland (2.51 million) and Vancouver BC (2.64 million) close by. Denver? may be Salt Lake City (1.26 mil), Fort Collins (0.36 mil) and Colorado Springs (0.76 mil). No, Seattle is a much bigger market, with more substantial industries .
LOL Yeah, I was wr, wro, wro, Mistaken when speaking of a "Big market", it's more like a NEW "Market" with New folks to fleece+ I'm betting that he won't be losing too many Seattleite Fans.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I think people forget that Russ wanted OUT! He held the no trade clause and could have shut the whole thing down, but he didn't.
This is why the true answer is that this wasn't a trade that we could win or lose.

Russ said he wasn't going to re-sign so we had to trade him. Then the no trade clause meant we had to trade him to the team he wanted. The Seahawks only other options would have been obviously worse.

I'm not going to blame them for it but I'm also not going to give them any credit. How well they use the resources they got is what they should be evaluated on.

toffee

Reaction score

On the field:
Russ' arm is superb, strong and accurate.
Russ' legs are still way above average.
Off the field:
Russ' visits hospital.
Russ' has his own media army.