DLine Prospects for 2nd/3rd Rounds

Seattle Person

Reaction score
Edge Players: There are some legit talent here in the 2nd and 3rd rounds. That's even after some of the top 5-6 guys...That's insane how many potential edge players there are in this range. We'll have to see about several variables such as 40-yd dash, 10-yd split, and see how guys bend around the corner. These are guys I thinking might go in the 2nd and beyond.

(Jermaine Jones out of Florida State is absolutely tearing up the Senior Bowl. He's going in the top 15 and maybe in the top 10. Complete player and he's going to make some team really happy.)

(Players like Cameron Thomas and Logan Hall will probably go in the first round. The Seahawks could use this hybrid inside/outside type of player but I don't think they'll be around.)

MyJai Sanders: Cincinnati: 6-4. 242 lbs. 33 in & 2/8 arms. He wins with speed but has some pretty good moves with good hand play. He's a fringe 1st rounder but can blow up after the pre-draft process. Long, lean, and came in little lighter than his listed weight. Not as polished as the top guys but coaches can teach him to finish. He's doing pretty well in the Senior Bowl drills. He's winning in a variety of ways. He put Daniel Faalele (380 lbs) on his ass with a spin move and then bull rushed him. Pretty impressive player. Might have pushed into the first round.

Kingsley Enagbare: South Carolina. 6-4. 261 lbs. 34 in arms. He seems to win with grit and effort. Never stops and never gives up. He did show a swim move but can use some coaching up to use his hands better. Not really a true twitchy edge player than can come screaming off of an edge. Great speed to power and that's probably his best pass move. Incredible power once he gets the train moving. Mostly likely a 2nd or 3rd round pick. Again, he's having a good Senior Bowl. Reports are he's winning consistently. He might be a better 5T than a true LEO. We'll see how he test.

Arnold Ebiketie: Penn State. 6-4. 250 lbs. 34 in arms. Has a lot of quickness and speed. Unlike Enagbare, he does scream off the edge and has a lot of juice. He also show a lot of different moves and counters. He'll have to learn how to use his length more to ward off the OT in the NFL. I hope he is there at #41 for Seattle but like Sanders he can move up quickly if he test well. Pass rusher for now. Struggles in the run game and can struggle setting an edge. He is showing a lot of twitch with the 1vs1 in the Senior Bowl. He's is dangerous when he's lined up outside in the wide-9 position. He just brings a lot of speed off the edge.

Boye Mafe: Minnesota. 6-4. 255 lbs. 33 in & 3/8 arms. He is my personal favorite. A real technician and he's just getting started. He can come screaming off the edge. He does show evidence of swins, rips, and speed rushes. He can probably use more coaching on how to convert his speed to power and really get into the lineman's chest and drive him back. He also needs to work on counters if his move doesn't hit right away. During the 1v1 drills, he beat Raimann twice with moves and technique. Quickly rising. He was given 3rd grades but he's going to go in the 2nd I strongly infer.

Sam Williams: Ole Miss. 6-3. 260 lbs. Added late to the Senior Bowl. No arm measurement. After Mafe, I am really liking Williams as a 2nd tier rusher. He plays the run pretty well and getting much better at rushing the QB. During the 1v1 drills, he won by dipping and getting around the OT. He also won by doing a nasty spin move to counter. Clearly he has a plan when he is rushing. Needs to develop but not a project. On his highlight videos, he won mostly on effort and grit but it's good to see his moves during the Senior Bowl. He has a high motor and never gives up on a play. He's someone that might sneak into the 2nd round and he is well within the 41st pick for the Seahawks if no other Edge options are left. He might be the best option left that is not a major project. I doubt he last until the 3rd round pick. I think he might even be able to play SAM because he sets the edge so well. I have not seen any evidence of him dropping back in coverage.

Other players to consider. I don't know as much about them. I view these players as major projects that need multiple years to develop. They all have interesting traits.

Drake Jackson: USC

Tyreke Smith: Ohio State

DeAngelo Malone: Western Kentucky: Some are saying he's a better SAM than pass rusher

Dominique Rodgers: Miami (OH)

Interior Players: The top guys are Jordan Davis and DeMarvin Neal. They will be gone before the 41st pick. There is really good value in the 2nd and 3rd here. Some interesting profiles that would be a great 3T for the Seahawks.

Devonte Wyatt: Georgia. 6-2. 307 lbs. 33 in arms. He is my favorite interior DT. Extremely quick off the ball and really explosive. He played on a loaded Georgia defense and stood out. He is beating guys at the Senior Bowl with power, quickness, and violent hands. He is the ideal 3T for the Seahawks. He's not as long as probably most people want but he's a gamer. He suppose to run a sub 5.0 in the 40 as well. Great looking DT that can start and rush the passer from day 1. He is going to go in the bottom of the first and that's a steal IMO. I pray he falls to the 2nd but he wont...

Phildarian Mathis: Alabama.
6-3. 313 lbs. 34 in 5/8 arms. He's going to be a steal in the 2nd. He can do pretty much everything well. He's not going to be quick, explosive, and fast like Wyatt but he's a tier below. He's another ideal 3T with the length to do it well. He has played Nose and 5T but I think his skill set is best suited for 3T where he can isolate for a 1v1. He plays the run well. He can blow up a guard or center. Instant starter from day 1. Some teams are going to be turned off because of his age (already 24) but he's just reall good man. Should be a consider for #41 and he'll probably be there.

Travis Jones: UConn: 6-4. 326 lbs. 34 in arms. He was mostly a Nose in college. Excels in the run game and can take on blockers. He is really strong and powerful. Pretty agile and quick for his size. However at the Senior Bowl he has overpowered anyone and everyone. He has pushed any Olineman he has faced back like a little child. Mostly with bull rushes and one arm moves but they work every time. He has been devastating during 1v1s. I don't know about the fit but he's a really unique player. Probably will be there at #41 and some team might view him as just a run defender.

Perrion Winfrey: Oklahoma. 6-3 1/2. 303 lbs. 35 in 4/8 in arms. Great length and athleticism. On film he shows a lot of upside and ability. More of an athlete at this point of his development. Needs a lot of coaching. Not the most consistent player because of his rawness. He is having a good Senior Bowl. I saw him win with a really clean swim move and a nice bull rush. A lot of media are showing love for him as a rising star but the film still doesn't lie. There is a lot to work with but he's not one of my favorites because there are so many that are better at this point and time. The traits are there but I still have a feeling he is also a big risk to not be who people think he is.

Names to consider in later rounds.

Eric Johnson: Missouri State.
6-4. 300 lbs. 33 in 7/8 arms. Late add to the Senior Bowl. Not much is known about him and he's from a smaller school. He is showing he belongs with the bigger school guys. He did beat multiple guys with hands and moves. He looks quick and explosive. Not sure which round or where his range is but a name to pay attention to.

Matthew Butler: Tennessee. 6-3. 299 lbs. Quick DT and can be used as a rusher. I don't know if he's a Seahawks' fit because multiple reports of his length. This is the same concern with Haskell Garrett: Ohio State.

Yxes1122

Reaction score
Well put together list.

Wyatt, Mathis, Winfrey all seem like strong picks in the 2nd round if they are available. Travis Jones is a different player.. But having Jones, Poona, and Mone on the interior could really solidify the run defense and save us some money in FA.

Mafe is having a strong Senior Bowl week (based on some of the initial reports I've seen) and with a strong combine I think he has the potential to climb into the 1st Round. I think there's a comparison to be made between him and Ojabo (though I'll wait until the combine to say for sure).

Matthew Butler is also an intriguing mid round guy. Good size and a quick first step. Showed up at the Shrine Game based on some observations I've heard (Take it for what its worth).

Exciting group of players this year. Not to mention some of the off ball LBs that may be available as well.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Thank you for posting. To add to Players you've posted:

Boye Mafe, EDGE, Minnesota

Boye Mafe‘s traits draw eyes wherever he goes, but he expanded on those traits and started to build more consistency on Day 2 of Senior Bowl practices. The Minnesota EDGE has well-documented athleticism. He’s rumored to have a 4.57 40-yard dash and a 40.5-inch vertical jump, even with his powerful frame. Some guys don’t play up to their testing numbers, but Mafe has done it all week.

Eric Johnson, DT, Missouri State

A standout at the NFLPA game, Eric Johnson made the leap to the Senior Bowl this week, and he hasn’t looked any less disruptive. The former Bear has a legit NFL frame and has already showcased a lot of the necessary traits for production at the next level.

He’s explosive off the line and can shoot his pads into contact. He has great straight-line power, and he can drive guys back. On top of all that, he’s flashed impressive agility, highlighted by a devastating spin move levied on an unsuspecting offensive lineman. Johnson went from good to great on Wednesday, and he’s only trending up. — Ian Cummings

Dominique Robinson, EDGE, Miami (OH)

Dominique Robinson came into the Senior Bowl with some of the least name recognition among the edge rushers. He left Day 1 with some of the most buzz. The Miami (OH) pass rusher started the week strong when he measured in with a near 6’5”, 254-pound frame and arms over 33 inches. But he compounded the gains with a stellar first day of practices.

Robinson is long and explosive off the line, with impressive flashes of flexibility. But most impressive was Robinson’s ability to time hand swipes at the apex, then surge inside and capitalize on displacement. He’s still new to the position after transitioning from wide receiver a few years ago, but he’s already morphing into an exciting threat on the edge. — Ian Cummings

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2022 ... wednesday/

https://www.profootballnetwork.com/2022 ... s-tuesday/

ivotuk

Reaction score
Within a deep class of edge-rushers, Kingsley Enagbare made some money in Mobile, Alabama. He came into the week as a potential Round 2-3 pick, but the South Carolina product may have moved into the top 50 after a strong showing in the pass-rushing session between offensive and defensive linemen.

Most notably, Enagbare's power and strength stood out immediately. As Kyle Youmans of Talkin' Cowboys noted, the 6'4", 265-pounder overpowered a tight end who used good technique.

Edge Myjai Sanders' Physical Tools Quell Concerns About Modest Production

Cincinnati's Myjai Sanders showed smooth flexibility with some physicality to turn heads on the second day of practices.

"Myjai Sanders is super lean but packs a punch," Matt Miller of The Draft Scout and ESPN tweeted. "Saw it in pass rush reps and now against the run. I'm a fan."

Former NFL defensive lineman Leger Douzable posted a clip of Sanders in an agility drill, which illustrates the Cincinnati product's ability to dip low and move as he would around the pocket. The 6'5", 255-pounder looked fluid in his movement without wasted steps.

https://twitter.com/LegerDouzable/statu ... KABgUxemPg

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/295 ... raft-class

OP
OP
S

Seattle Person

Reaction score
There isn't a better site for team-focused draft coverage than Seahawks Draft Blog. Check out Rob's big board:

Big fan of Rob's coverage of the Senior Bowl and draft. I agree with most of his selections and round grades. It really influences how I view these prospects. Completely on board about Mafe being a late 1st or early early 2nd. I now think we don't have a shot at him at #41. In addition, I also think Perrion Winfrey goes in the late 1st and before #41. He offers more upside and I think teams might view someone like Travis Jones as more a 2-down player.

I think this leaves us with a bunch of options of Edges and some DTs. The player that has really caught my eye is Sam Williams from Ole Miss. He is flying a bit under the radar. Some mentions of him having a good week at the Senior Bowl. Not that much is being talked about him.

What's better than having 1 Darrell Taylor? How about 2 Darrell Taylors? Out of JuCo, he ran in the 4.4s at The Ole Miss Combin a few years ago. He also had a 40 in. vertical. The athleticism is there. He's 6-4 and is going to be in the 250s or 260s. He reminds a lot of Taylor coming out of Tennessee.