DK Metcalf needs to go after Jump Balls like Dennis Rodman

Tokadub

Reaction score
In my opinion DK is VERY soft when it comes to contested catches. He does not utilize his superior size, athleticism, vertical leap, and overall strength to win these contested balls. It seems like whenever he could make a heroic catch fighting through a defender he kinda just gives up on the play.

DK seems to be more bark than bite. He has no problem jawing away all game with the enemy team but when it comes to jump balls he turns into a little puppy dog.

[youtube]U0Y7brwz6fA[/youtube]

In a game like this with no Tyler Lockett I really would of liked to see DK use his physical ability to the full potential instead of getting mad every time our injured QB doesn't throw a perfect ball.

Wilson's accuracy has been very obviously worst ever since his finger injury. He has a long career history of throwing 1 high ball (to the sideline) on his first or 2nd drive when he's getting settled in. He tends to play better by the end of the game.

But after Wilson's injury he is throwing terrible balls from start to finish. This is a big deal and extremely uncharacteristic of his entire career.

Generally when Wilson threw "bad balls" it was his receivers got beat (or couldn't catch it) like Jermaine Kearse etc... but now he's legit throwing bad balls.

I'd still like to see Metcalf understand how to attack the ball (high point it) with this understanding Wilson isn't as accurate anymore. Imagine if Metcalf played as hard for jump balls as Dennis Rodman played for rebounds. Metcalf should be able to VASTLY improve in this aspect of his game. If the coaches aren't making that a point of emphasis in development well I don't know what to say.

There is no reason to believe Wilson will improve at this point, he relies so much on mobility and any great team can contain him like the Rams. I don't see how he can win another Super Bowl under these conditions.

It's quite a shame because the team was good enough to win 3 Super Bowls in my opinion 2012-2014

nwHawk

Reaction score
DK has been told for the past year that he is the best thing since sliced bread. And he falls victim of that trap. He needs to attack the ball and not wait for it to travel to him.

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Hes gone in 2 years anyway...he won't re sign here. Guess we will see how does elsewhere.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I think we've seen Metcalfs ceiling. An absolute athletic freak, so-so hands, plays softer than he should, and an immaturity i'm not sure he'll ever grow out of. I also do not believe he will resign once his rookie deal is up.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
He is often more interested in picking fights with CBs.

jeremiah

Reaction score
nwHawk":1tyrjrdg said:
DK has been told for the past year that he is the best thing since sliced bread. And he falls victim of that trap. He needs to attack the ball and not wait for it to travel to him.

He is like that receiver who I shall not name, that played for the NY Giants, and makes players drool to have his physical attributes. All hat, no cattle. Give me a Jerry Rice who is in great shape, but has a drive to be the best on every play. DK wants to be the best in every gym, at every weight lifting session. He gets his jollies being the baddest looking dude in the room. He has much in common with the girls (including the boys) in the Jenner family.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Tokadub":1ixtl6p6 said:
In my opinion DK is VERY soft when it comes to contested catches. He does not utilize his superior size, athleticism, vertical leap, and overall strength to win these contested balls. It seems like whenever he could make a heroic catch fighting through a defender he kinda just gives up on the play.

DK seems to be more bark than bite. He has no problem jawing away all game with the enemy team but when it comes to jump balls he turns into a little puppy dog.

In a game like this with no Tyler Lockett I really would of liked to see DK use his physical ability to the full potential instead of getting mad every time our injured QB doesn't throw a perfect ball.

Wilson's accuracy has been very obviously worst ever since his finger injury. He has a long career history of throwing 1 high ball (to the sideline) on his first or 2nd drive when he's getting settled in. He tends to play better by the end of the game.

But after Wilson's injury he is throwing terrible balls from start to finish. This is a big deal and extremely uncharacteristic of his entire career.

Generally when Wilson threw "bad balls" it was his receivers got beat (or couldn't catch it) like Jermaine Kearse etc... but now he's legit throwing bad balls.

I'd still like to see Metcalf understand how to attack the ball (high point it) with this understanding Wilson isn't as accurate anymore. Imagine if Metcalf played as hard for jump balls as Dennis Rodman played for rebounds. Metcalf should be able to VASTLY improve in this aspect of his game. If the coaches aren't making that a point of emphasis in development well I don't know what to say.

There is no reason to believe Wilson will improve at this point, he relies so much on mobility and any great team can contain him like the Rams. I don't see how he can win another Super Bowl under these conditions.

It's quite a shame because the team was good enough to win 3 Super Bowls in my opinion 2012-2014

The reason that Brady and Belicik both succeed is that they break people down, including themselves to the lowest ego wise, then build back on a basis of effort and heart. Much like special forces and their trainers. You ain't Shi'ite until you understand it is all a gift that can be taken from you at any second. PC used to mean "always compete", but that means allowing superior athletes to fail if they are not perfect in form and function. BAD COACH for the me too time we live in, in fact maybe the worst. He definitely accumulated a mass of superior players and got the bare minimum out of them. Give that group of players to Belichik and he wins more Superb Owls than PC did for sure.

nutluck

Reaction score
I think DK can still learn to be great. The only question is, is he willing to suck up his pride and ego and put in the work to be great. No one can know that but him and time will tell. I still hold out hope he will mature and become a student of the game and work on all the little things beyond athletic talent that goes into being a great WR in the NFL.

edogg23

Reaction score
So our WR absolutely torches one of the games best dbs by about 5 yards for a sure td and our 35 million dollar a year qb throws an absolute turd his way in an indoor stadium with no wind and somehow this is DK’s fault? The narrative is out of control on this board!

hoxrox

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1473463341033000963[/tweet]

jeremiah

Reaction score
edogg23":12ugvpjz said:
So our WR absolutely torches one of the games best dbs by about 5 yards for a sure td and our 35 million dollar a year qb throws an absolute turd his way in an indoor stadium with no wind and somehow this is DK’s fault? The narrative is out of control on this board!

You are not wrong.

jeremiah

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3byektnm said:
I'm tired of his whining about touches if we can get two firsts for him i'd ship him.

I would happily do so. 2 firsts in the right hands, brings in a class that makes the superb owl

BamKam

Reaction score
God forbid your $35 million a year QB makes a throw where your WR has a 5 yard advantage on the best CB in the league.

NINEster

Reaction score
Tokadub":3rztbif8 said:

Nobody ever 3peated and those Hawks certainly wouldn't either.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
He’s not a great route runner, which means he needs to basically be Brandon Marshall lite. He isn’t that either.

Yea Russ under threw some balls. But what we absolutely do know is that DK isn’t going to come down with a tough catch. In fact, can we name one play where DK saved Russ’ ass? Seems like every DK highlight, even the ones with Geno required a perfect throw

OP
OP
Tokadub

Tokadub

Reaction score
Well if all this is the case, maybe we should blame the coaches for not getting receivers who can fight for contested tough balls on broken plays...

As far as I remember... THAT IS THE ONLY FORMULA THAT EVER WORKED WITH WILSON!

Now our 2 best receivers are great in their own respect but they do not have the kind of physicality to ever compete for another Super Bowl with Wilson (think Marshawn Lynch, Doug Baldwin, Golden Tate)...

All 3 of those old players were 10x more physical than anyone on this offensive roster.

Wilson needs some Beast Mode. Not necessarily "the Beastmode"... but our soft ass offense isn't even close to working... Just look at our results since 2014.

Chris Carson was the last Beast we got but he can't stay healthy go figure... Dwayne Eskridge is the exact opposite of a tough player who fights for the ball. He got injured so much in high school/college he changed his number out of superstition... give me a break.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
hoxrox":qqp6op4n said:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/gbellseattle/status/1473463341033000963[/tweet]

And this is why I wouldnt be sad to see him go. Wilson throws a bad pass (heaven forbid a QB throw an errant pass sometimes) and wants to talk about it, maybe even apologize, and Metcalf throws a tantrum like a 2 year old. Dudes one of the biggest head cases in the league and will never change.