Derek Carr better QB than Russell Wilson

toffee

Reaction score
According a three time all-pro running back, Derek Carr has been a better QB, better than prime Russ not just Russ of 2022. Maurice jones-Drew said after studying Russ's tapes, he came to the conclusion that Russ missed a lot of his first reads, Pete helped Russ by having WR/RBs practice scramble drills, but it's hard to win that way consistently.

Should Maurice be right, one could argue that Pete Carroll waste Pete Carroll's prime by appeasing Russell Wilson.

LastRideOut

Reaction score
"If you want to play an individual sport, go play golf or tennis", Maurice on Russell Wilson seperating himself from the team via his 2nd floor office and working with his personal staff off to the side during practice. Ouch. Yeah, I agree with Maurice.

If it's glory Russ wants, go play golf or go swimming. Those are individual sports.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
"If you want to play an individual sport, go play golf or tennis", Maurice on Russell Wilson seperating himself from the team via his 2nd floor office and working with his personal staff off to the side during practice. Ouch. Yeah, I agree with Maurice.

If it's glory Russ wants, go play golf or go swimming. Those are individual sports.
Maurice credited Pete for developing a system that helped Russ.

Last edited:

Hockey Guy

Reaction score
It's getting to the point that this hindsight analysis is just piling on.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
It's getting to the point that this hindsight analysis is just piling on.

Pretty much. I'm all for taking jabs at him in good fun, since he left our team in such a bad way, but almost every season he was here, he was a top 10, hell usually a top 5 QB in the league.

flv2

Reaction score
MJD has a lot of contrarian points of view. Not my favourite Rams guy, or MNF broadcaster.

nwHawk

Reaction score
You do realize MJD played 8seasons as a Jag and ended his career with a season in Oakland - never played for the Rams.

When Russ painted a target on his back trying to be better that Brady or Jordan at the expense of the team, and he then pushed his way out, Russ created his own coffin. MJD is just kicking dirt on it.

Aircrew

Reaction score
As soon as the last game of the season was played and the draft order was solidified, I stopped caring about what was going on with Russell Wilson. Having said that, I'll listen to what media personalities have to say about him. I will do this because he was a Seahawk for a decade, he held the team hostage for years, his "team" manipulated the media to spin a narrative that Pete Carroll was holding him back and that in the end he proved to be a phony, back stabbing, underhanded piece of s**t. I don't care about Russell Wilson, but I genuinely don't like him and I will quietly enjoy his fall from grace and public humiliation. Because he did that and worse to the team that drafted him to further his own career and agenda. And there isn't a thing wrong with that.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
I was a diehard Russ fanboy, supported the disband of LOB to appease Wilson. All changed after his 2019 contract, I start seeing a different person, I advocated to trade Wilson in 2020, and 2021, mostly in 2021.

chrispy

Reaction score
A)MJD has always been an "eh" tv personality. He must have a great agent because he rarely contributes anything noteworthy.
B)This thread proves the point. After all that's unfolded in the last season, it's like saying a good QB is better than a bad QB. Get the man a Pulitzer.....

flv2

Reaction score
You do realize MJD played 8seasons as a Jag and ended his career with a season in Oakland - never played for the Rams...
MJD has been with the Rams since 2016 as a broadcaster and ambassador. The MNF feed is broadcast to the UK on free to air tv from the Rams media centre at Sofi Stadium. During adverts we get MJD's views and analysis.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
The same system helped Smith go from bust to looking good last year.
Yes and no. The "system" Pete developed for Russ was the scramble drill, practiced regularly. That's why people knew what to do when things broke down, and why Russ was able to capitalize so often when it happened.

Geno doesn't need that, because he just runs the system.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Yes and no. The "system" Pete developed for Russ was the scramble drill, practiced regularly. That's why people knew what to do when things broke down, and why Russ was able to capitalize so often when it happened.

Geno doesn't need that, because he just runs the system.
It was Maurice's opinion that Carr has always been a better QB than Wilson, that got me thinking: Could Carr won one or two super bowls with '13 and '14 Hawks?

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Speaking as someone who watches Total Access 365 days a year (don’t judge) I can tell you that MJD is an insufferable blowhard who loves himself a bit too much.

Not that I disagree with every word that comes out of his mouth but man, talk about someone who loves him some him. One of his catch phrases is “Where’s my single?” Which means where’s the camera that is meant to focus on him.

So I can’t take what he says about anyone too seriously. Russell was a Top 5 QB more or less for the time he was here with us. I cannot nor will not disparage the man simply because he’s an easy punching bag these days.

keasley45

Reaction score
According a three time all-pro running back, Derek Carr has been a better QB, better than prime Russ not just Russ of 2022. Maurice jones-Drew said after studying Russ's tapes, he came to the conclusion that Russ missed a lot of his first reads, Pete helped Russ by having WR/RBs practice scramble drills, but it's hard to win that way consistently.

Should Maurice be right, one could argue that Pete Carroll waste Pete Carroll's prime by appeasing Russell Wilson.

Russ was far more talented football player than Carr and he had a killer instinct unlike few others in the league. And those two facts brought him and the team success.

But Carr, as far as the ability to play the position from an xs and os perspective is the 'better' qb. He's plenty accurate, mobile, and has shown the ability to execute an offense. The difference between the two has been coaching.

Russ was able to apply his talents within a system that amplified what he was good at and minimized what he couldn't do.

Carr never had a consistent system nor a coach or FO the caliber of ours and instead, was spun from coach to coach and coordinator to coordinator, with an ever-changing cast if character supporting him.

Can never really know what Carr might have been in another system, but it's telling to see how much Pete helped Russ, now that he's been asked to just straight up execute plays. Do I think Derek would have been a better player than he has been at the Raiders if he'd played for us his whole career? Absolutkey. Do I think Russ would have been worse if he'd played for the Raiders? No doubt.

They both played crap ball last year. This year, they'll both benefit from a fresh start.

We will see what they'll do from here forward.

MjD isn't exactly a tower of insight and knowledge, but the question he poses and position he's taken isn't far fetched. And pointing a finger at the blatant truth that Russ has never been able to really just play the position 'correctly', in a traditional way isn't piling on. It's just the truth. And the truth has been unjustly twisted to favor #3 his whole career. God forbid someone shines a light on the fact.

hawker84

Reaction score

You mean the notorious seahawk hater Maurice Jones Drew? Has he ever had one positive thing to say about the Seahawks or any of their players?