Depth is concerning? What games have you guys been watching?

Fade

Reaction score
I keep hearing and reading in hawkville that the depth is concerning. And I am confused. I couldn't disagree more.

The depth looks great, except for QB & CB of course. And that 6th string TE that committed 5 penalties, (cut him). Trash QB play is going to lead to ugly results on the scoreboard. Good thing Wilson doesn't miss games.

I like what I've seen from the rest of the backups and am very encouraged.

D-Line has guys like Mone & Robinson that can rotate in and make plays. Darrell Taylor who will moonlight at LBer is really athletic and can add an element they haven't had since young Bruce Irvin. Rasheem Green looks like he wants to get paid next offseason and will have 6-8 sacks from the interior.

LB; Cody Barton appears to have figured it out and looks way better than he's been. Shame BBK got hurt, I really like his game.

DB; They are loaded at Safety and Nickel. Outside corner (boundary corner is you want to sound smart) leaves a lot to be desired. It's DJ Reed and a bunch of nothing. Witherspoon is going to win the overpaid JAG award. They may need to explore playing Amadi or Blair outside in the short term until they can find a viable replacement.

I like the youth they have on the O-Line and Stone Foresythe will be a starter eventually.

RB; When Carson gets hurt again they got 2 guys in Dallas & Collins + Penny who can fill in and do a fine job.

WR; haven't seen Eskridge yet, but the guys that have played I really like Cade Johnson & Cody Thompson, and those guys will probably just be on the practice squad. Penny Hart looked great in camp, but hurt his ankle.

TE; with Parkinson going down for a bit maybe the depth is bad, but I like the top 2 guys they have in Everett & Dissly. Parkinson will be back eventually.

QB; It's bad, sure. No denying it. But how many games has Wilson missed in his career? Wilson is closing in on top 5 all-time for consecutive QB starts for those that don't know. I really liked Alex McGough as a prospect and then last night happened. The kid puked all over himself. He had his shot and he blew it.

Don't get too focused on the results, and look at the process. Pete has avoided any established players getting hurt in these meaningless games, and the young guys and backups got a ton of playing time and some guys flashed if you were paying attention.

The offensive scheme is great. I like the tempo, I like the pre-snap movement, I like the screen game, I like the short easy throws that have been implemented. Wilson and Co. are going to tear this league a new one this year. The other side of the ball I feel the complete opposite. Ken Norton still scares the hell out of me. They don't disguise anything they do. QBs are too comfortable and know exactly where to go with the football.

Week 3 is the dress rehearsal. The starters are going to play, we'll see what it looks like then.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I think the depth looks bad argument comes from the 2nd and 3rd stringers playing the first two games and getting destroyed by score.

QB, interior D line and outside CB are awful in terms of depth

AgentDib

Reaction score
Except it hasn't been just 2nd and 3rd stringers, but 4th+ stringers who are not likely to make the team. The players who are mostly responsible for us getting blown out in our two games so far are practice squad candidates for a reason.

Our QB depth is fine. It would be a luxury to have a good developmental guy, but what we need is a veteran who can come in and spell Russ for a handful of plays if something minor happens. We have that guy in Smith and a third roster spot can be better spent elsewhere.

We may only keep four DTs this season due to having Collier and Green shift inside on passing downs. We have three locks and then I think they are comfortable with the competition there for the fourth spot (Nkemdiche, Adams, Lattimore, Hewitt). If none of those players turn out suitable there are still a handful of veteran DTs kicking around out there and about to be a bunch more after cut downs.

The competition at cornerback is the most interesting position battle right now and I don't think anybody outside of the building actually knows that much about how it's going. The broadcast coverage doesn't tell you much and they aren't releasing all-22 angles for the pre-season games.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
Where's the confidence that ol' Geno can pick it up if "something minor happens"?

Serious question, has Geno played a snap in the regular season since he has been here, including clear garbage time? How about outside of garbage time?

He couldn't last a quarter through the first preseason game, and he missed the second one. Put him in to start the third one and rotate him and Mannion.

As far as McGough, no reason to prolong this. Cut the kid today.

massari

Reaction score
If all those guys actually pan out to form legit depth, Ken Norton Jr might actually have a D that finishes in the top half of the league! Crazy!

toffee

Reaction score
Fade":229qu1wt said:
LB; Cody Barton appears to have figured it out and looks way better than he's been. Shame BBK got hurt, I really like his game.

DB; They are loaded at Safety and Nickel. Outside corner (boundary corner is you want to sound smart) leaves a lot to be desired. It's DJ Reed and a bunch of nothing. Witherspoon is going to win the overpaid JAG award. They may need to explore playing Amadi or Blair outside in the short term until they can find a viable replacement.

I like the youth they have on the O-Line and Stone Foresythe will be a starter eventually.

WR; haven't seen Eskridge yet, but the guys that have played I really like Cade Johnson & Cody Thompson, and those guys will probably just be on the practice squad. Penny Hart looked great in camp, but hurt his ankle..
Think Barton could be a starter this season? Also, Cody Thomson could develop into some sort of procession WR?

Sent from my IN2017 using Tapatalk

AgentDib

Reaction score
SantaClaraHawk":2ipziefq said:
Where's the confidence that ol' Geno can pick it up if "something minor happens"? Serious question, has Geno played a snap in the regular season since he has been here, including clear garbage time? How about outside of garbage time?
Geno played well in the 2019 preseason and there was no preseason last year. He also was fine in the one regular season game we've needed him for (80% completion in half a quarter/we went on to win).

The fact that we haven't needed him much is an argument for our backup depth being fine. He's played in 41 NFL games, doesn't need to take practice snaps away from Russ to learn the position, and is cheap. If something serious happens to Russ we are not going to be contenders anyway, so our resources are better spent elsewhere (for now).

SantaClaraHawk":2ipziefq said:
He couldn't last a quarter through the first preseason game, and he missed the second one. Put him in to start the third one and rotate him and Mannion.
Is this an honest opinion or are you just throwing it in to make your point look better? Geno hasn't shown a lack of availability; he was body slammed and got a concussion. Is that how you would describe it if the same thing had happened to Russ?

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
AgentDib":18uuy36i said:
SantaClaraHawk":18uuy36i said:
Where's the confidence that ol' Geno can pick it up if "something minor happens"? Serious question, has Geno played a snap in the regular season since he has been here, including clear garbage time? How about outside of garbage time?
Geno played well in the 2019 preseason and there was no preseason last year. He also was fine in the one regular season game we've needed him for (80% completion in half a quarter/we went on to win).

The fact that we haven't needed him much is an argument for our backup depth being fine. He's played in 41 NFL games, doesn't need to take practice snaps away from Russ to learn the position, and is cheap. If something serious happens to Russ we are not going to be contenders anyway, so our resources are better spent elsewhere (for now).

SantaClaraHawk":18uuy36i said:
Is this an honest opinion or are you just throwing it in to make your point look better? Geno hasn't shown a lack of availability; he was body slammed and got a concussion. Is that how you would describe it if the same thing had happened to Russ?

K, now that I know that it's easier to see the point of progressing with him a year. However, I do have durability concerns given this: https://www.draftsharks.com/fantasy/inj ... smith/6653

In any case, next week it's either split time between Mannion and Geno.

Or, if Geno is still out, then just award him the QB2 without him playing 90 percent of the preseason.

If Mannion has to play the whole game because no Geno, and fails spectacularly, maybe the second possibility could be considered. If and only then.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is nice to get talked off the ledge.

That said, what is the news on BBK? Is he done for the year? or we still waiting on something from the team regarding his injury?

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That performance against Denver was even more disappointing than the failure to appear by the team against Las Vegas. It's certainly been ugly!

The deep depth on the team looks to be quite weak. The QB play by both Manion and McGough was awful with Manion proving to be a tad better but nothing to write home about. The interior DLine play was sure weak and the OLine looked to be missing a few pieces. The depth at CB has surely got to be a critical team concern, perhaps when the starters play the pass rush pressure may help them but for now I'm concerned. I have to say there was little that was encouraging from that game.

No amount of Pete schmooze can compensate for that rip off of the fans. Twice in a row the team has failed to show up.

Not on the ledge yet but am certainly concerned.

BBK and Ursua are both done for the season.

SantaClaraHawk

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1w2ubppq said:
It is nice to get talked off the ledge.

That said, what is the news on BBK? Is he done for the year? or we still waiting on something from the team regarding his injury?

The Seahawks placed linebacker Ben Burr-Kirven and receiver John Ursua on injured reserve Monday. Both players will miss the season with serious knee injuries that will require surgery.

“It breaks our hearts,” Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said after the game, via the team website. “This is a rough game, and sometimes it takes a toll, and those two kids are hurt.”

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2 ... lattimore/

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Fade":3bt3a7l8 said:
QB; It's bad, sure. No denying it. But how many games has Wilson missed in his career? Wilson is closing in on top 5 all-time for consecutive QB starts for those that don't know. I really liked Alex McGough as a prospect and then last night happened. The kid puked all over himself. He had his shot and he blew it.

Absolutely tempting fate here. Law of averages probably means Wilson is overdue for some sort of injury where he misses games.

We've been rolling the dice every season not taking the backup QB position seriously or developing anyone.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
kf3339":27gyctj6 said:
Aros":27gyctj6 said:
Jerhawk":27gyctj6 said:
QB, interior D line and outside CB are awful in terms of depth

Bingo.

:ditto:

Interior D-LIne?

Interior D-Line is deep. CB at Nickel is deep.

Poona, Mone, and Woods can all be + starters at NT.

3T Poona will start there in the base. Then they will bring in situational rushers on passing downs. Heider & Green. Nkemdiche & Collier are a bonus if they can contribute.

CB - Nickel they have both Amadi & Blair both + starters at the spot.

Outside DJ Reed is very good. Tre Flowers is okay as a backup and special teamer. They are missing a legit #2 Corner.
Witherspoon is no bueno.

I think most on here would be talking about how deep the Seahawks are if they had a really good backup QB lighting it up in the pre-season. Since the opposite has happened fans are freaking out. Results based thinking instead of process based thinking.

flv

Reaction score
Cutting McGough indicates either Smith is ready to play or another QB is being signed. It would be crazy to go into a game with just Mannion. I would have kept McGough for another week to be an unused scrub in the 3rd game if the others stayed healthy.

OP
OP
Fade

Fade

Reaction score
flv":26vlghx0 said:
Cutting McGough indicates either Smith is ready to play or another QB is being signed. It would be crazy to go into a game with just Mannion. I would have kept McGough for another week to be an unused scrub in the 3rd game if the others stayed healthy.

Wilson will start, Smith will be cleared, and Mannion will cleanup in the 4th Quarter.

Mr. McGoo had to be cut, being that careless with the football is unacceptable. All 3 turnovers were on him. They may sign someone else if they feel the need, but it is so late in the process at this point. I am comfortable with those 2 guys behind Wilson, and trimming down to just 2 quarterbacks after Saturday.

flv

Reaction score
Fade":huot1in0 said:
Wilson will start, Smith will be cleared, and Mannion will cleanup in the 4th Quarter.

Mr. McGoo had to be cut, being that careless with the football is unacceptable. All 3 turnovers were on him. They may sign someone else if they feel the need, but it is so late in the process at this point. I am comfortable with those 2 guys behind Wilson, and trimming down to just 2 quarterbacks after Saturday.
If Wilson and Smith are both going to play then fair enough. Personally I don't see any benefit to playing Wilson. I'm not questioning McGough's departure, merely the timing of it. It's never too late to find an alternative to Mannion.

Tical21

Reaction score
Cody Barton? OL depth? WR? Mone is getting pushed to the parking lot.

We do have good depth at nickel.

chris98251

Reaction score
Tical21":t23kq0bu said:
Cody Barton? OL depth? WR? Mone is getting pushed to the parking lot.

We do have good depth at nickel.

So Rosen is going to be signed to the Practice squad.