Deep breath, back to earth..

Mase

Reaction score
-- I know we ebb and flow with every big win and every debacle loss. But this is exactly what we all should have seen coming. It was there in the preseason, it was there on Monday night, and it was in full display yesterday.

-- The negative. This seems obvious, but it has to be said. Smith plays scared. He always has played scared. He had all that momentum after the first half on Monday, but played the second half terrified to screw up. Watch his throwing motion from the first to the second half on Monday. To be clear, and this is just my opinion, moving Russell was the right idea at the right time (maybe even a bit late), but expecting Smith to be something different after 10 years in the league is just pointless. Also, I believe Taylor, not unlike Adams, needs to close the mouth, and focus on the game. You aren't the vocal leader, you are the missed tackles leader. And probably soon the bench leader. I bet Mafe takes his job before long.

-- The positive. I love the young guys. Cross and Lucas have the makings of a great outside tandem. Woolen is already showing signs of real star power, and we'll see on Bryant, don't want to judge a rookie playing out of position in the slot. Already mentioned Mafe. Nwosu isn't a rookie, but he looks like a really good signing.

-- Whether you loved Wilson, or hated, or hate Carroll or love him, I think in your hearts you all knew this year was a building year, especially with someone as limited as Smith at QB. Not saying Lock will be better, but if we go even one more quarter without a single point from the offense, time to at least give the young guy a chance. This will be painful, but necessary.

Onwards and upwards,

Mase

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
-- I know we ebb and flow with every big win and every debacle loss. But this is exactly what we all should have seen coming. It was there in the preseason, it was there on Monday night, and it was in full display yesterday.

-- The negative. This seems obvious, but it has to be said. Smith plays scared. He always has played scared. He had all that momentum after the first half on Monday, but played the second half terrified to screw up. Watch his throwing motion from the first to the second half on Monday. To be clear, and this is just my opinion, moving Russell was the right idea at the right time (maybe even a bit late), but expecting Smith to be something different after 10 years in the league is just pointless. Also, I believe Taylor, not unlike Adams, needs to close the mouth, and focus on the game. You aren't the vocal leader, you are the missed tackles leader. And probably soon the bench leader. I bet Mafe takes his job before long.

-- The positive. I love the young guys. Cross and Lucas have the makings of a great outside tandem. Woolen is already showing signs of real star power, and we'll see on Bryant, don't want to judge a rookie playing out of position in the slot. Already mentioned Mafe. Nwosu isn't a rookie, but he looks like a really good signing.

-- Whether you loved Wilson, or hated, or hate Carroll or love him, I think in your hearts you all knew this year was a building year, especially with someone as limited as Smith at QB. Not saying Lock will be better, but if we go even one more quarter without a single point from the offense, time to at least give the young guy a chance. This will be painful, but necessary.

Onwards and upwards,

Mase
Haaaaaaaaayyyyyyy. You're not allowed to talk about Wilson no more - ;) You're gonna get busted!!!! Everyone's gonna shun you!!!

;)

nanomoz

Reaction score
The negative reaction that is staying and seems to hold up to reflection is that Waldron probably isn't going to work out.

Teams across the league find ways to get the ball to their playmakers. But it's a consistent problem for Seattle. Waldron is unable to get DK Metcalf involved way too often. It's never been easier to score points in the NFL. The majority of rule changes in the past twenty years make it easier to throw the ball.

The Jets were able to scheme an 875-year-old Joe Flacco to a solid line, including 10 catches, 185 yards, and three TDs to Garrett Wilson and Corey Davis. Neither player is as proven as Metcalf or Lockett.

Flacco played against a defense that is at least comparably as talented as the Niners defense.

And if you look around, there's examples across the league of middling-at-best QBs getting the ball to their best players more effectively than the Seahawks do.

It's consistently frustrating the last couple of years.

hoxrox

Reaction score
The negative reaction that is staying and seems to hold up to reflection is that Waldron probably isn't going to work out.

Teams across the league find ways to get the ball to their playmakers. But it's a consistent problem for Seattle. Waldron is unable to get DK Metcalf involved way too often. It's never been easier to score points in the NFL. The majority of rule changes in the past twenty years make it easier to throw the ball.

The Jets were able to scheme an 875-year-old Joe Flacco to a solid line, including 10 catches, 185 yards, and three TDs to Garrett Wilson and Corey Davis. Neither player is as proven as Metcalf or Lockett.

Flacco played against a defense that is at least comparably as talented as the Niners defense.

And if you look around, there's examples across the league of middling-at-best QBs getting the ball to their best players more effectively than the Seahawks do.

It's consistently frustrating the last couple of years.
Pete talks about letting Geno cook more.. around the 5:30 mark:

So I'm sure he's gotten in Waldron's ear about that.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Pete talks about letting Geno cook more.. around the 5:30 mark:

So I'm sure he's gotten in Waldron's ear about that.
Great content, thanks for sharing.

Does it ever feel like Pete is spinning circular logic to us, to you? I get that feeling constantly. He seems to say that the offense isn't getting the ball to its playmakers or downfield because they can't get enough first downs. They can't stay on the field.

And it seems like not getting the ball to your playmakers is a key part of why they can't get enough first downs.

You know?

hoxrox

Reaction score
Great content, thanks for sharing.

Does it ever feel like Pete is spinning circular logic to us, to you? I get that feeling constantly. He seems to say that the offense isn't getting the ball to its playmakers or downfield because they can't get enough first downs. They can't stay on the field.

And it seems like not getting the ball to your playmakers is a key part of why they can't get enough first downs.

You know?
Yeah that makes sense, I see what you're saying. I think what Pete saying, and what he believes, is that high percentage plays = more first downs = more opportunities to make big plays. Whereas low percentage plays (deep shots) usually = more 3rd and long situations = more 3 and outs = less possessions and opportunities to make plays.

But now after two games, he said they will "trust" Geno, DK and Goodwin more, so expect we'll see more shots downfield. It's not like Geno is totally incapable of pushing the ball down field. The deep ball to DK called back by penalty is an example.

As a side note, it also depends on the pass rush they are facing. If Bosa is in the backfield all day, it's hard to throw the ball deep downfield.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Give Pete or Waldron some credit.

I thought they were going to try to force the run, and play pass sparingly. The danger is that it is harder to pass when you are only passing on 3rd downs. The defense will pin their ears back and some of the feints don't work.
Run blocking is easier than pass blocking. It is also more enjoyable for the OL. But a mistake is a 10 yard holding call. You don't even need to make the mistake, the ref just has to think you did.
2nd and 20 with a primarily running offense is going to lead to a dead drive.

But they are passing, early and often. Probably by necessity. Remember that stupid illegal contact penalty is going to be called for almost anything now. You can only get that gift if you bother to pass.

Still not sold on Waldron. But at least they are trying.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Give Pete or Waldron some credit.

I thought they were going to try to force the run, and play pass sparingly. The danger is that it is harder to pass when you are only passing on 3rd downs. The defense will pin their ears back and some of the feints don't work.
Run blocking is easier than pass blocking. It is also more enjoyable for the OL. But a mistake is a 10 yard holding call. You don't even need to make the mistake, the ref just has to think you did.
2nd and 20 with a primarily running offense is going to lead to a dead drive.

But they are passing, early and often. Probably by necessity. Remember that stupid illegal contact penalty is going to be called for almost anything now. You can only get that gift if you bother to pass.

Still not sold on Waldron. But at least they are trying.
I get it. I'm real close to shutting the door on Waldron. But I'd love to be surprised.

If this streak without offensive points (1.5 games now) continues, people inside the tent are going to start to get as restless as us savage fans.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Too much gimmickry. Play the game straight up and let the team develop the right way.