Cowherd on Mahomes and Wilson

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I’m gonna say what I’ve said to Chiefs fans on their forum. Why do you think defensive coaches prefer a run game???

Rex Ryan, John Harbaugh, Pete Carroll, Mike Zimmer. They prefer a run game because they KNOW how much it helps a defense. Defenses can go all out instead of taking plays off, get more rest, etc.

A quick strike Touchdown can be just as exhausting to a defense as a 3 & out. Again, a Chip Kelly dilemma

Go rewatch the film, and look at how many easy short throws Mahomes gave up. Mahomes is greedy, and in love with his arm. That leads to scoring sure, but it also leads to 3 and outs and exhausted defenses on your own team. Mahomes isn’t going to methodically pick you apart like a Brees or Brady. Kind of like Rodgers, he’s mostly amazing talent. Pair that with someone like Andy Reid, who’s also greedy, and you get a struggling defense

If Alex Smith was still on the Chiefs, he wouldn’t light it up like Mahomes, but their defense would be better. Stats are not everything. Russell clearly outplayed Mahomes. He surveyed the defense and checked into run plays, he took the check down, and he made super tight coverage throws where only the receiver could get it. Mahomes may have put up 31 but he still has growing to do when it comes to timely throws and in game situations. I feel like a lot of casual football fans truly believe Great football = Pass Pass Pass and Score Score Score. Those fans are usually disappointed come playoff time. Chiefs defense will get a lot of blame but their style of play is an issue

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
"The media is so desperate to find the shiny new toy...."

SO true!

While we can all agree Mahomes is a phenom and has ridiculous stats this year, the media conveniently seems to forget Wilson has been there done it for 7 YEARS!

Wilson was Mahomes before Mahomes was Mahomes.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
BTW, I always liked Cowherd even though I know he has plenty of detractors. Maybe it's because he has always been a Wilson fan/Seahawks friendly but I just love his style and frankness. Dude speaks truth.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I love Mahomes and he’s my favorite of the young QB’s but couldn’t agree more with Colin on how underrated RW is. Heck we have a 7 page thread with people who are Seahawks fans trying to tell us he’s overrated. Figure that one out.

Seafan

Reaction score
Pro Bowl is a popularity contest. Sherm was snubbed after SB but made first team All Pro. It doesn't matter.

However, it seems that a team with as little talent as the Hawks should get Pete COY.

OpHawk

Reaction score
Coug_Hawk08":1jvclgh3 said:
The pro bowl snub was borderline disgusting. Rodgers and Goff lol.

Considering our losses, Russ should definitely be in the MVP conversation (alongside Brees imo), but I doubt he even gets a single vote when it comes down to it.

Also agree with SeaWolv. I don’t know if there has ever been a more underrated or overlooked guy than Russ. Massive, consistent success under all circumstances, but for whatever reason, his name doesn’t carry the weight like Rodgers, Brady and Brees.

Like Colin said, volume.

chris98251

Reaction score
Hawkpower":19rrvedh said:
Trrrroy":19rrvedh said:
Scorpion05":19rrvedh said:
Trrrroy":19rrvedh said:
That whole argument is flawed. Like saying Dilfer is better than Moon because he won the big game. Mahomes lost the big games this year because that defense is damn near the worst in the league.

Now, i agree with the premise but the logic to get there is flawed. This isn't tennis. It's not one on one. It's a team sport.

Mahomes was not going against the Bears defense. He was going against what by all numbers is supposed to be an average Seahawks defense. With Hill, Kelce, and an offensive genius at head coach

Mahomes did not make some of the throws late that Wilson did. Wilson had several wide throws. People are talking about the Chiefs defense as if guys were running wide open

Yeah, but he also put up 31 points in a prime time game in Seattle. What more is he supposed to do? It's not his fault that his defense gave up 38. He scored 51 against the Rams and 40 against the Pats, but somehow it's his fault they lost? The Only loss where he performed poorly was against the Bears and the best defense in the NFL. And guess what, Russell struggled there, too.

Absolutely agree.

I love Russ. But Mahomes is an absolute stud and did everything he could to win that game, just as Wilson did.

Both guys balled out, Wilson's team just happened to be better Sunday.

That shouldn't have any bearing on how a fan regards Mahomes.

As a fan, would love either guy on my side honestly.

Looks at Donovan McNabbs career, yeah he played for Reid also. Seems they have a lot of the same characteristics. Lets see if they have the same post season issues as well.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
He makes some really good points. Clearly one of the most underrated QB's in history. Seems like every time you watch a game, yet another stat pops up about stuff he has done that nobody has. Yet, he's more scrutinized than just about any QB we have seen. Why? Because he doesn't fit their narrative, or he doesn't look a certain way blah blah blah. 7 years of proving people wrong.

MarylandHawk

Reaction score
Trrrroy":uvgim4m5 said:
That whole argument is flawed. Like saying Dilfer is better than Moon because he won the big game. Mahomes lost the big games this year because that defense is damn near the worst in the league.

Now, i agree with the premise but the logic to get there is flawed. This isn't tennis. It's not one on one. It's a team sport.

You are correct, QB's cannot single-handedly win games for the most part, however they can almost certainly lose them singlehandedly. See Goff the last few weeks.

Elemas

Reaction score
Mahomes has a great future ahead of him. That's for sure. It's hard to compare players in this league. Especially QBs. There's so many dynamics to consider.

It's probably safe to say that Hawks fans will chose RW...and rightfully so. There's so many records he sets...it seems like I'm seeing intros to stats, such as Mr. 4th Quarter, every game or so. He's a winner. With the volume (lack thereof) this year, what he is doing...how he has adjusted....not sure many other QBs could handle that.

If I were a Chiefs fan, I'd be ecstatic as far as the QB position in KC. You're in good hands.

As a Hawks fan, you could offer me a 1st rounder + Mahomes...at his current salary cap....for Wilson and I'm turning you down.

Sox-n-Hawks

Reaction score
Aros":6bys2ulm said:
"The media is so desperate to find the shiny new toy...."

SO true!

While we can all agree Mahomes is a phenom and has ridiculous stats this year, the media conveniently seems to forget Wilson has been there done it for 7 YEARS!

Wilson was Mahomes before Mahomes was Mahomes.

This ^^^ Watching KC this season has been fun. Sort of like RWs rookie season. But...... without a defense or a ball control plan. Hopefully he finds a way to succeed despite Reid. He’s got a bright future in this league. I’m glad he’s in the AFC and not the NFC west, that’s for sure.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Trrrroy":14jwg81h said:
My point is Mahomes has played more than well enough to win in every single game he's played this season minus one. For Cowherd to say he's a worse QB than Russell just because he's lost "the big games" is flawed logic.

Like I said, I agree with Cowherd's premise, i just disagree with the logic that got him there.

Agreed.

253hawk

Reaction score
sutz":gmmmg2hq said:
LTH":gmmmg2hq said:
sutz":gmmmg2hq said:
Russ is like the living embodiment of that old saying, "It's not about the size of the dog in the fight, it's about the size of the fight in the dog."

I totally agree... great analogy about the dog... who said that?

LTH

TBH, I don't know, but it goes way back. I think I heard it first in the 80's or so.

Thom Brenneman said it during the BSU/Oklahoma Fiesta Bowl right after The Lateral. Maybe the only time I've ever heard it used outside of a movie.

Nothing against Mahomes, but I don't recall a network ever putting up a picture-in-picture RussellCam™ on the sideline while the opposing offense was on the field. If it wasn't for Mahomes' stats, no one would care. It's all a numbers wankfest because points and yards are all the media and fantasy football morons who can't shut up for 5 seconds about their teams care about.