Could the Seahawks have went to the SB two years in a row

korboko

Reaction score
If this team didn't select Russell Wilson and had Matt Flynn as the starter quarterback? There's a theory that any quarterback could have taken this team to the Super Bowl with this defense.

SmokinHawk

Reaction score
Anyone who thinks we could get here relying upon defense alone has NOT BEEN WATCHING. We are a 6-10 to 9-7 team without Russ. His rare elusiveness allows us to play with an offensive line that is replacement level at best for pass blocking. Take Russ away and we have '08 Hasselbeck with anyone who is not a superstar. *shudder*

kidhawk

Reaction score
Russel Wilson has more yards total than Tom Brady. Sure some come from his feet, but that doesn't really matter when it comes down to the actual games, just in the way most of the world grade a quarterback.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
The defense has kept comebacks within Russell's range, but Russell is the one who's pulled them off.

Flynn is Matt Hasselbeck. System-confined, receiver-dependent, early peak.

Smoke

Reaction score
Look at our 2011 compared to our 2012 squad. Yes we did get Wags and Irvin Starting on D as rookies in 2012, but the reason we got 5 more wins (Plus a Playoff win) in 2012 then we did in 2011 is soley because of Russ. I seem to remember a few times in 2011 were TJ could have brought us back and just failed. Russ is a baller and Neither Matt Flynn or Matt Hasselbeck could have brought us as far as RW

White Devil

Reaction score
One of the most tiresome narratives on the Seahawks and their current success is that any QB would love to play with this defense.

That statement isn't entirely untrue, but it's wrong nonetheless.

The benefit of having a great defense to any QB means that QB doesn't have long fields and isn't behind in many games. The problem saying any QB would be great on this team however, is laughable.

Could you imagine Peyton with this offensive line? He would have been carted off opening day.

That sounds pretty harsh towards the Hawks o-line, but the truth hurts. These guys are horrible at pass protection. We know it. The Hawks know it. But for some reason nobody else seems to understand this.

No other QB could survive the season with this offensive line. Which means that no other QB could take this team to back to back Super Bowls. Russ does this because he plays within the limits of his team on offense. He runs if he needs to. He gets down and protects himself when he needs to. He gets out of the collapsing pocket and keeps plays alive. And he's not afraid to fail, which means he bounces back when times are rough and doesn't get discouraged that he's not putting up obscene passing numbers.

He plays within himself.

So to answer your question. No. The Seahawks could not have gone to 2 Super Bowls with Flynn as the QB.

OregonMAX

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2gkuiyz0 said:
The defense has kept comebacks within Russell's range, but Russell is the one who's pulled them off.

I think that's a bit unfair to Matt Hassebleck to say. Flynn is a career backup, Hasselbeck is a 3 time pro-bowler who led the NFC in TD Passes in 2005 and also brought us to our first ever Super Bowl.

Meeker

Reaction score
Assuming the same talent, but with an offense more suited for their talents...

Flynn? No
Tarvaris Jackson? No

Rodgers? He certainly has the talent, but he has been injured the last 2 season and he would get hit even more behind our line...idk
Brady? Possible
Manning? Last year...this year, he saw a significant decline in his arm.
Roethlisberger? Possible
Rivers? No
Luck? Maybe
Matt Ryan? No
Tony Romo? Maybe

themunn

Reaction score
Would we have come back from 21-0 down against Tampa Bay with Matt Flynn or won in overtime against the Broncos?

No homefield advantage without theose wins.

I still think Jackson is a better QB than Flynn

idahawks

Reaction score
No, and with Rick Mirer we'd be 1-15. What kind of a stupid question is this.

DeSeahawk

Reaction score
OregonMAX":3gfjon5a said:
MontanaHawk05":3gfjon5a said:

I think that's a bit unfair to Matt Hassebleck to say. Flynn is a career backup, Hasselbeck is a 3 time pro-bowler who led the NFC in TD Passes in 2005 and also brought us to our first ever Super Bowl.

I agree. I think Hass did great for us. He didn't have All Pro recievers either. An incredible line, yes, but he kicked ass for us back then.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Meeker":1rh94lse said:
Assuming the same talent, but with an offense more suited for their talents...

Flynn? No
Tarvaris Jackson? No

Rodgers? He certainly has the talent, but he has been injured the last 2 season and he would get hit even more behind our line...idk
Brady? Possible
Manning? Last year...this year, he saw a significant decline in his arm.
Roethlisberger? Possible
Rivers? No
Luck? Maybe
Matt Ryan? No
Tony Romo? Maybe

Because of our offensive line in 2012, I think Rothlisberger is the only one that would have had a snowball's chance. cLUCK can take similar abuse, but his propensity to throw pLUCKs would have put us at 8-8 in a perfect world. I really don't think any QB in the league could have pulled off an 11-5 season, much less gave us a serious shot at going to the NFCC game. Not behind that OL.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
iigakusei":enrho8y6 said:
Flynn no. Whitehurst yes.

Whitehurst only if you have Julius Jones...Christ, I can't even finish this sentence as a joke.

evergreen

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":35ql99qp said:

Uh...Hughm...Bull sh@t! Matt Flynn is no Matt Hasselbeck! Hasselbeck was a freaking probowler dude! He played in and was robbed a Super Bowl. What are you smoking? Flynn can't do anything without a GB jersey on.

Latest posts