Confirmed.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Nate Burleson just covered it on GMF. Said giants were dropping 8 into coverage to close lanes for Wilson to throw. He had nowhere to go and now the nfl has a blueprint for beating us. Which many teams have already had. Cover our wr without a run game is our achilles.

No more need to look for the excuse of why wilson is playing bad. Is he hurt or sick. Truth is defenses are outperforming our offense and the coaching on that side of the ball. That's it!

BandWagon11Hawk

Reaction score
Well, problem solved!

The unbeatable 8 coverage - may as well just pack up and go home if the defense runs two deep no blitz. Oh, as we've seen, may as well also pack up and go home if they run a blitz.

If we *cannot function* without RB's, perhaps we should invest more in RB's ?

I still have to imagine it's a combination of schotty plus RW, Surely they work together, and RW isn't literally just taking orders. But I've never played even college ball, so I'm sure I could be corrected.

keasley45

Reaction score
BandWagon11Hawk":1kb5yvbm said:
Well, problem solved!

The unbeatable 8 coverage - may as well just pack up and go home if the defense runs two deep no blitz. Oh, as we've seen, may as well also pack up and go home if they run a blitz.

If we *cannot function* without RB's, perhaps we should invest more in RB's ?

I still have to imagine it's a combination of schotty plus RW, Surely they work together, and RW isn't literally just taking orders. But I've never played even college ball, so I'm sure I could be corrected.

Its not whether Russ is sick or hurt. Its why on earth he and schottenheimer can't either at the line or in weekly gameplanning develop a plan to beat what the D is doing. Like the previous poster said, its not THAT complicated. But taking deep drops off play action over and over again when you won't commit to the run ( Carson was averaging 6+ / carry in the first half) and refusing to deploy patterns to beat their zone and hots, their pressure, is baffling.

Somebody is either incredibly stubborn, incapable of developing a coherent offensive strategy, or just not smart enough to adjust in-game and on the fly.

And I get that our running game WAS maligned. And our o-line is hurt. But for Christmas sake, this has been the case now for weeks. And for weeks, we've been incapable of even TRYING to do things in game that might address this.

Instead, same thing every week. Unless of course, the D is weak enough that what we have prescribed works enough to generate points.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Like many team sports, football is like a game of rock-paper-scissors. Based on what the other side of the ball is doing, there is always a counter. Your players still need to execute that counter, but there is ALWAYS a counter. I, along with others, feel like the Seahawks have often (though not always) failed to adjust to what the other team is doing.

One primary example was the Cards blitzing on D the first time we played them. We had no answer.

This Giants D wasn't doing anything crazy hard to counter. Even though they dropped 8, we had WR's open. We could also have run screens, which are really good against teams that aggressively rush and drop back in zone. We ran the ball fairly well at times.

But overall, there was no rhythm to the offense and then there were the sacks. The sacks the sacks the sacks. Russ can not sit back there and take those sacks. He can't throw the ball 20-30yds out of bounds and expect not to get intentional grounding. I've never seen another qb get called for IG like Russ does, and this is the 2nd week in a row he has done that.

Those sacks just crushed our drives. There has been a lot of talk about Russ' decision making during this game and I agree. It was awful. But I don't think the offense adjusted the gameplan to accomodate the way Russ was playing. Run more, run some screens, etc. We just seemed to be outcoached as well as outplayed :(

OP
OP
J

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Grahamhawker":1w4v7t5d said:
Well then, let's just circle the "lack of adjustments" toilet bowl again, shan't we.

That is literally all it comes down to. I would honestly prefer russ to handle the playing calling. I know that sounds crazy, but what you preplan for a play is alot different on the field. How do you know you want to run a three wr set with a smash concept, but when you get on the field the defense has a dime concept and multiple dbs to cover everything. If he can see what the defense is and adjust it's the best way to adapt. Backyard football.

It's one thing I've never understood about football. Why do they make it so complicated for such a simple game?
Spider 2 y banana? Wtf is that? How about...in my best russ voice...dk you run a deep over, tyler run slant to middle and find opening between lbs, moore run a 5 and out and dissly run a seam. Russ reads wr from left to right...pulls trigger on an open wr. Why is that so hard. They make football overly complicated. To many coaches, to many lines of communication and then mistakes start to form.

Let russ read the d. If it wont work...it wont trust me. Audible to a better play in the same formation so d is confused and go from there.

I can't be the only one who thinks russ would absolutely destroy teams if he were just allowed to play his brand of football instead of drawing up plays.

keasley45

Reaction score
jamescasey1124":2scuw6jo said:
Grahamhawker":2scuw6jo said:
Well then, let's just circle the "lack of adjustments" toilet bowl again, shan't we.

That is literally all it comes down to. I would honestly prefer russ to handle the playing calling. I know that sounds crazy, but what you preplan for a play is alot different on the field. How do you know you want to run a three wr set with a smash concept, but when you get on the field the defense has a dime concept and multiple dbs to cover everything. If he can see what the defense is and adjust it's the best way to adapt. Backyard football.

It's one thing I've never understood about football. Why do they make it so complicated for such a simple game?
Spider 2 y banana? Wtf is that? How about...in my best russ voice...dk you run a deep over, tyler run slant to middle and find opening between lbs, moore run a 5 and out and dissly run a seam. Russ reads wr from left to right...pulls trigger on an open wr. Why is that so hard. They make football overly complicated. To many coaches, to many lines of communication and then mistakes start to form.

Let russ read the d. If it wont work...it wont trust me. Audible to a better play in the same formation so d is confused and go from there.

I can't be the only one who thinks russ would absolutely destroy teams if he were just allowed to play his brand of football instead of drawing up plays.

Although I get where you are going, I don't think russ is a bystander in this. And I love Russ. Think he's the best qb we've ever had and one of the best all time. But some of this is on him. How much is hard to say. But I know that he has missed several open receivers, has not been sharp on timing routes, hasn't been helping receivers by throwing them open, and has on many occasions missed line adjustments that would help to slow opposing team's pass rush ( brought up several times by commentators in a few games). Either he isn't being given the tools at the line to defend against or exploit what the defense is doing or he isn't good at it.

He looks lost. He look panicked. He's getting pummeled. And now all of whatever is wrong is worse because it seems as though he is lacking confidence and not trusting what he is seeing.

Elemas

Reaction score
Part of it is stubbornness. I mean, do you recall the playoff game against Dallas a few years back? For the entire week leading up to the game, all you'd hear is about how good Dallas was at stopping the run.

We continued to try and jam it up the middle for not one, but 2 straight halves.

That wasn't adjusting...it was "here's the gameplan and were sticking with it no matter what".

Planning and adjustments are definitely intertwined but, it just seems that far too often, the Hawks pigeonhole themselves into being one dimensional.

Not disagreeing with anyone here. But when you see something happening repeatedly and no change is made, it's frustrating.

John63

Reaction score
keasley45":1f2v53xn said:
jamescasey1124":1f2v53xn said:
Grahamhawker":1f2v53xn said:

Although I get where you are going, I don't think russ is a bystander in this. And I love Russ. Think he's the best qb we've ever had and one of the best all time. But some of this is on him. How much is hard to say. But I know that he has missed several open receivers, has not been sharp on timing routes, hasn't been helping receivers by throwing them open, and has on many occasions missed line adjustments that would help to slow opposing team's pass rush ( brought up several times by commentators in a few games). Either he isn't being given the tools at the line to defend against or exploit what the defense is doing or he isn't good at it.

He looks lost. He look panicked. He's getting pummeled. And now all of whatever is wrong is worse because it seems as though he is lacking confidence and not trusting what he is seeing.

I agree but I don't think it is a lack of confidence in himself or the players. I think it is a lack of confidence in the system, play calling and coaches. There has been a change in the offensive system and it started game 6 and I don't think he likes it, believes in at all.

keasley45

Reaction score
John63":w3l0t360 said:
keasley45":w3l0t360 said:
jamescasey1124":w3l0t360 said:
Grahamhawker":w3l0t360 said:

I agree but I don't think it is a lack of confidence in himself or the players. I think it is a lack of confidence in the system, play calling and coaches. There has been a change in the offensive system and it started game 6 and I don't think he likes it, believes in at all.

That might be, but i also think its moreso that he, for the first time in his career, was targeted as the reason why we lost a handful of games because of his INT's. Russel doesnt do turnovers. He was coached to be ultra conservative and cash in on big plays when they present themselves, either with his scrambling or off of playaction and not by throwing inherently higher risk passes in the context of a pass first offense. The system isnt ultra high risk, its just much moreso than what he;s been accustom to. And i honestly think he's a bit gunshy now to let the ball rip because he's been picked way more than his career average per pass. He's not trusting what he's seeing and his clock is off which is exacerbating the problem. Add to that a bunch of idiotic pass routes that run wr's into coverage and an insistance on passing, what 77% of the time last game?? - that's the issue.

TypeSly

Reaction score
With "Sick and Sicker" as our lead RB's, I guess Schotty better make some adjustments?

We're f***ed.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
They can easily counter the 8 man 2 deep coverage by calling shorter routes and running the ball more. Moving the pocket for Russ and making it a bit easier on him.

But hey, I'm not the coach

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
Well what do you expect? The whole world and their mama knows Seattle wants to “Let Russ Cook”. Couple that with the alleged second coming of Megatron? Of course opposing teams are going to game plan to shut that shit down. Nobody’s afraid of our often injured running backs.

TOPHawk

Reaction score
Jerhawk":rmyrpeq4 said:
They can easily counter the 8 man 2 deep coverage by calling shorter routes and running the ball more. Moving the pocket for Russ and making it a bit easier on him.

But hey, I'm not the coach

Largely agree with this. They need to hit some slants, quicker throws to the slot WR on a skinny post between the LBer lanes and in front of the safeties, or quick vertical routes to the TEs. Wilson threw to the TEs quite a bit yesterday but it seemed they were mostly turned around looking at the QB and standing still. It was impossible to get YAC. For the running game, stop trying to run wide to the right side. It simply will not work.

They did roll or waggle Wilson out quite a bit yesterday. The problem was NY was totally prepared for it.