Completely Conservative and Pointless Gameplan

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
falcongoggles":1kudz6a5 said:
When Seattle needed to score quickly - they did, against a prevent defense...so maybe we should have done that, eh?
*allas wasn’t in prevent, that is their normal defense.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Dallas showed early that they were going to keep a spy on Wilson in case he decided to run the ball. Wouldn’t that same spy already be in place to stop those inside runs we kept trying and also thwart the RO concept we refused to abandon? In return though doesn’t that “spy” pretty much insure one on one pass coverage as well as an uncovered TE or RB? Of course none of that matters if we run right into the spy....Am I missing something? Am I wrong?

mrt144

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3oii4dkv said:
Dallas showed early that they were going to keep a spy on Wilson in case he decided to run the ball. Wouldn’t that same spy already be in place to stop those inside runs we kept trying and also thwart the RO concept we refused to abandon? In return though doesn’t that “spy” pretty much insure one on one pass coverage as well as an uncovered TE or RB? Of course none of that matters if we run right into the spy....Am I missing something? Am I wrong?

Makes some sort of sense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1vwbhwe7 said:
Pete was an idiot for firing Kris Richard. That is the first thing.

But the offense was exactly the garbage I expected all year when they hired Schotty.

However, he produced all year until the 1st playoff game when he failed to understand that if you did not score 30 in this game (or ANY game with this defense) you are going to lose. And yet, here we were committing to a stupid and ineffective run game that clearly was not workking.

Notably, when they did that stupid dump off on something like 3rd and 17 (it was in the first half), I knew they were losing this game.

Not that Russell Wilson has a great record in the playoffs ever since he lost Lynch anyway, but a lot of that was because his team was missing so many pieces. Now, with a decent line and something of a run game - it made sense to bet on your best horse.

But no, we kept running the ball even though Carson was not finding holes, even though our kicker was down and so a low scoring game was stupid, we still insisted on trying to grind our offense forward. When our best weapon just sat there as a decoy.

And when I saw Mike Davis running, even though it worked, it was another sign we were screwed. Mike Davis is going to get you 4-6 yards maybe. We knew we had a middling defense and still insisted in keeping the game close.

The number of 3 and outs courtesy of running into a brick wall was pretty indicative we were stuck.

But hey we looked good in the regular season. It wasn't until the playoffs that we looked like garbage...so I guess we are the NFL version of the Atlanta Hawks (back when they were 'good' every year until they flamed out in the playoffs).

I know youre trying to make a point... but the offense wasnt always effective in the regular season either

This is why im frustrated with yesreday. We saw warning signs against the Vikings, 9ers and cards to end tge season but regardless saw no adjustments in the playoffs.

I know most offenses dont change much from game to game. But the hawks fairly simple offense gave them the chance to.

They didnt

Mad Dog

Reaction score
bighawk":2wnjr1aj said:
This game isn't on the defense they played well considering the offense stunk it up. We should of won this game if we threw the ball more. Come on Pete let Russell be the man.

This succinctly states the biggest fallacy on the forum today. No one knows what would have happened if we abandoned the run. We could have gone Sack/Sack/screen/punt. Defenses are typically trying to make you one dimensional, abandon the run early and unleash the hounds.

But it's entirely possible Wilson could have been a difference maker. Or he could have failed. We will never know. But it's irrational to assume an alternate strategy would have been more successful. we only passed well on play action and against a prevent defense. Take that away and we might have gotten in worse trouble.

John63

Reaction score
Mad Dog":16f57gxu said:
bighawk":16f57gxu said:
This game isn't on the defense they played well considering the offense stunk it up. We should of won this game if we threw the ball more. Come on Pete let Russell be the man.

This succinctly states the biggest fallacy on the forum today. No one knows what would have happened if we abandoned the run. We could have gone Sack/Sack/screen/punt. Defenses are typically trying to make you one dimensional, abandon the run early and unleash the hounds.

But it's entirely possible Wilson could have been a difference maker. Or he could have failed. We will never know. But it's irrational to assume an alternate strategy would have been more successful. we only passed well on play action and against a prevent defense. Take that away and we might have gotten in worse trouble.

This is not entirely true at all. Example our first scoring drive we passed first and got 26, then we passed again and got 12, the score was 3-0 at that point. Then we went run, run, 3rd and long and got a FG no prevent there. 2nd scoring drive that gave us a lead we started pass, pass and moved the ball got a FG. The first TD drive which gave us a lead again we scored because of a 4th and 5 pass, after going run, run, run and 4th and 5, again no prevent.

The point is they were stopping the run but whenever we mixed it up and passed first we moved the ball and that was well before they started playing prevent.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Unfortunately they didn't do enough of the things that got them to 10 wins and a playoff spot. Did David Moore even play? He was a ghost yesterday. Dallas DBs aren't that good that they completely throttled the Seahawks passing game.

John63

Reaction score
hawkfan68":1lmz2ekb said:
Unfortunately they didn't do enough of the things that got them to 10 wins and a playoff spot. Did David Moore even play? He was a ghost yesterday. Dallas DBs aren't that good that they completely throttled the Seahawks passing game.

The facts don't support that though we were avg 8.6 yard per attempt in the passing game compared to under 3 in the run (without QB runs), we threw for 233 yards and completed 67%. The passing game was what was working when sprinkled in with the run on non 3rd and long plays. But we never stayed with it.

Latest posts