Status
Not open for further replies.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Marvin49":kk7bnp4w said:
Smelly McUgly":kk7bnp4w said:
Front7vLOB":kk7bnp4w said:
Smelly McUgly":kk7bnp4w said:
Um, his impending free agency was his leverage. He could play out this year, force the 49ers to franchise him, which would earn him a cool 16.1M as of this year (and would be more than that next year), and force the 49ers not to franchise him again to agree to sign the franchise contract.

Instead, he took a below market deal that essentially pays him 18M/yr, but he can be cut at any time if he gets injured without seeing a lot of that money, assuming he gets injured at some point in the next two or three years.

Were I him, I'd take my 1M this year and dare the 49ers to franchise me, knowing that I could get a team to go 7/150 at some point with the rising salary cap over the next couple years. Awful deal for Kaepernick, but shrewd fleecing by Baalke. It makes me wonder if Marty Hurney is now Kaepernick's agent or something.
One thing before I address the rest of your post:

@timkawakami: Looks like Kaepernick's deal could end up at 3 years, $43M if they don't want him in 2017. That's why I said we have to see the real numbers

It's not even an $18m a year deal. It's actually $15m. This is pretty amazing. Either Kap wins a SB or voted All-Pro, which triggers the escalators, or Kap sees a very modest deal that's very-team friendly.. Win-win for the 49ers.

And it's a win for Kap. I think he realized he'd rather be locked in with the 49ers under Jim Harbaugh than sign somewhere like Cleveland or Oakland the following offseason.

If Kap performs the way he has the past 2 seasons, he will see a lot of the money. Thing is, it sounds like money isn't all that big of a deal for him. People can rag on him for the shoes and his showboat attitude, but the guy signed one of the most team-friendly deals in sports history. Yes, I said it.

So, I don't see how people can continue to call him selfish or immature on here.

Obviously he is no RW when it comes to being the ultimate pro, but Kap proved he wants to attain that status

Wanting to be in SF is fine, though I wouldn't necessarily count on Jim Harbaugh being there for the next six years, and that's just because most coaches don't end up like Jeff Fisher in Tennessee even if they ARE successful.

However, you can want to be in SF without rolling over and essentially taking a 3/43 deal that is a huge "prove it" deal. Alex Smith will somehow end up getting 20M from some idiot team for doing much less than Kaepernick has done because the market for legit starting QBs is always hot. Even if you don't want to leave SF, you can leverage Oakland or St. Louis or whoever against SF for more money instead of rolling over and taking this awful-looking deal. I don't even like Kaepernick, and I'm ticked off that he took a deal like this.

This is like a deal you would take if you HAD to prove your worth. Alex Smith took 2/16 from SF when it still wasn't sure that he would live up to being the man there or anywhere at all. Kaepernick would have suitors who would see his ability to run and his two NFCCG appearances and give him 20+M right off the bat. This is just a total misread of the market on the part of his agents...but maybe I underestimate just how much he desperately wants to stay in SF.

Not really even arguing with you....

....but I just have to wonder if that would be the take you'd have if Wilson had signed the exact same deal.

Methinks it would be much more like "how unselfish he is and look how much he wants to help the team win and keep other players".

Exactly, plus, I think everyone can agree Kap is a product of the 49ers system and the tutelage of Jim Harbaugh. Kap knows if he was drafted by another team, he would not have the fame or success he has experienced in his young career.

Regarding Harbaugh's future tenure with the 49ers organization, I think he will be in the Bay Area for another 5+ seasons. The noise coming out this offseason regarding Baalke and he's dispute proved to be of little importance. Look at the draft. Look at the Stevie Johnson trade. Look at the Kap signing.

If these guys are not on the "same page" I am very excited to see what they can do when they do start "working together."

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":2psy9s8g said:
LOL, it never changes with you.... Defend, deflect, repeat...... defend, deflect, repeat.... SMH.
Refer to my post in between yours and this one and tell me where the logic is wrong, or how Marvin is wrong when he says you guys would gladly take this deal with RW.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":swkxhvbo said:
Marvin49":swkxhvbo said:
Not really even arguing with you....

....but I just have to wonder if that would be the take you'd have if Wilson had signed the exact same deal.

Methinks it would be much more like "how unselfish he is and look how much he wants to help the team win and keep other players".

Oh, it would be different, but only in the sense that I would be a little bit happy about it since it would help our team's cap issues.

I'd still be utterly riding Wilson's agents for taking a deal that essentially pays him 3/43 and then allows the team to walk away from him. It's stupid. Make your money while you have time! Don't let these billionaire owners off so damn easy.

That's fair.

My question though is did Kap know what he was doing or did his agent kinda get snookered.

Either is possible. The fact that the contract got signed so quickly tells me that the 49ers were like "sign it before he changes his mind!". lol.

Who knows. Maybe he did it on purpose to allow other players to get signed. Maybe he doesn't mind a "prove it" contract. Maybe his agent is an idiot.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":2lhn97co said:
Sports Hernia":2lhn97co said:
LOL, it never changes with you.... Defend, deflect, repeat...... defend, deflect, repeat.... SMH.
Refer to my post in between yours and this one and tell me where the logic is wrong, or how Marvin is wrong when he says you guys would gladly take this deal with RW.

LOL. Is he still talkin?

iigakusei

Reaction score
That is an absolutley amazing deal for the Niners. I still don't get why Kaepernick would possibly agree to that deal - he must really love San Francisco!

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Front7vLOB":jcooa0au said:
I think everyone can agree Kap is a product of the 49ers system and the tutelage of Jim Harbaugh. Kap knows if he was drafted by another team, he would not have the fame or success he has experienced in his young career.

All I have to say is that if Kaepernick doesn't believe in himself apart from Harbaugh's system, a) it's no wonder that he took this deal, and b) he'll never win a Super Bowl for any team.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":11wowz2o said:
Front7vLOB":11wowz2o said:
I think everyone can agree Kap is a product of the 49ers system and the tutelage of Jim Harbaugh. Kap knows if he was drafted by another team, he would not have the fame or success he has experienced in his young career.

All I have to say is that if Kaepernick doesn't believe in himself apart from Harbaugh's system, a) it's no wonder that he took this deal, and b) he'll never win a Super Bowl for any team.
that's fair. especially (a). but, in regards to the SB, Trent Dilfer won a SB.

Plus, I didn't say any and all success was because of the 49ers system. I'm just saying the 49ers put him in the best position to win.

Kaepernick would probably be a mediocre starter, a la Ryan Tannehill, if he was drafted by another team. I think it is smart and prudent for Kap to recognize he is in an ideal situation, so why not let the team dictate the terms.

One last note, while I think Kap took the deal because he knows he probably won't have similar success on another team, I think it is fair to say Kap believes in himself and his ability to satisfy the conditional terms of the contract

DavidSeven

Reaction score
People swing from "overpaid!" to "steal!" pretty quickly, don't they? Is he a franchise quarterback or not?

This deal says more about how San Francisco values Kaepernick than them getting any sort "steal" IMO. They could have given him a deal with more assurances without really altering their cap situation. This deal is built a certain way for a reason. Obviously, they've refused to go "all in" at this point on the idea that Kaep is definitely their guy for the next five years. If they wanted to, they could have made a statement like that without changing their cap much. This deal is all about SF being a bit insecure about Kap as their franchise guy, and that's perhaps fair at this point considering the debate that rages on regarding Kaep's franchise-ness.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
DavidSeven":1c1jtfjk said:
People swing from "overpaid!" to "steal!" pretty quickly, don't they? Is he a franchise quarterback or not?

This deal says more about how San Francisco values Kaepernick than them getting any sort "steal" IMO. They could have given him a deal with more assurances without really altering their cap situation. This deal is built a certain way for a reason. Obviously, they've refused to go "all in" at this point on the idea that Kaep is definitely their guy for the next five years. If they wanted to, they could have made a statement like that without changing their cap much. This deal is all about SF being a bit insecure about Kap as their franchise guy, and that's perhaps fair at this point considering the debate that rages on regarding Kaep's franchise-ness.
I think this is the most unbiased post yet. Spot on. I agree 100%.

I think it's fair to look at it as an extended tryout where he has a 3 year $45m contract. If the 49ers win a SB in that span, you'll probably see a new contract that actually does cripple the 49ers in terms of their ability to retain their star players

Marvin49

Reaction score
DavidSeven":7xkzjrpl said:

Not really.

They do this kinda deal with everyone. They resign guys early on and their reward for that is to structure them in this way. Navorro Bowman has similar clauses in his contract and will lose some money this year because he's out. Ahmad Brooks had a de-escalator hit last year.

It has much more to do with the way the 49ers do business than any slight on Kaepernick. They hedge their bets with everyone. Sure, its much more pronounced here because of the size of the contract, but it's still very similar to other deals they have done.

We can debate over whether or not that's a good way to do business, but that's what they do.

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":17fnswxh said:
DavidSeven":17fnswxh said:

I think it's fair to look at it as an extended tryout where he has a 3 year $45m contract. If the 49ers win a SB in that span, you'll probably see a new contract that actually does cripple the 49ers in terms of their ability to retain their star players

Couldn't agree more.

JZ#1

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":3s4cf8tf said:

Maybe because your MO is to slander and twist everything to fit your agenda?

Marvin49

Reaction score
Sourdough #49":33r8orrr said:
Front7vLOB":33r8orrr said:
DavidSeven":33r8orrr said:

Couldn't agree more.

LOL.

I guess I'm the outlier here. :D

mikeak

Reaction score
^ how can you view it any different?

Overall per year - I think it is a fair deal. Lots of money but compared to other QB's he gets per year what he should get

Guaranteed for Injury at over $60 million - so they value him that much, realize that is the market

Pretty much (and I summarize) not guaranteed for any year until that year starts - why do you do that if you don't want assurances that he performs?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Marvin49":1m6vnxqm said:
hehe. :)

So fun sometimes to read the negative spin on everything. You could very well be right, who knows. I sure don't.

I could be right/wrong, who cares?

Did KaeperPuss not do a Super Bowl interview in which he used very inaccurate and favorable stats?

Did he not claim that he looked forward to "exploiting" the very defense that he has not had a sliver of success against in 4 tries, including the Niners home win.

Did the QB not make 3 crucial mistakes in 3 consecutive drives in his most important game of 2013?

Did you SEE the look on his face?

kaeperpissed.jpg

Now that is the look of a stone cold killer right there.

Did KaeperFreak not throw a pick in his only red zone trip of week two? With 2 more 4th quarter INT's, then run off the field pouting?

The contract was made with flexibility leaning heavily towards the Niner FO correct?

Where is the "SPIN" Marvin? The Niner HAD to sign him now, in case the guy had a good year next year, it saved them some money, but the only one spinning things constantly in this area is you. Now climb back in your Jack-In-The-Box and wait for some other unsuspecting fool to turn the lever, but don't be popping out for the regulars, we have all seen the act far too many times.

Marvin49

Reaction score
mikeak":37s5i4sb said:
^ how can you view it any different?

Overall per year - I think it is a fair deal. Lots of money but compared to other QB's he gets per year what he should get

Guaranteed for Injury at over $60 million - so they value him that much, realize that is the market

Pretty much (and I summarize) not guaranteed for any year until that year starts - why do you do that if you don't want assurances that he performs?

They do. My point was that they more or less do that on all contracts, not his alone.

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Missing_Clink":27rzko7p said:
Hopefully he will continue to excitedly throw to Crab 1 on 1 on the outside every time.
Againt the Hawks, he only throws to Crab once per game. ;)

Sourdough #49

Reaction score
Either way I think both sides are happy with the deal otherwise it would not have been completed so quickly. They have probably just been sitting on it waiting for the Carlos Rodgers 6 mill to free up.

FriscosFinest

Reaction score
Marvin49":2w8vq9in said:
Sourdough #49":2w8vq9in said:
Front7vLOB":2w8vq9in said:
DavidSeven":2w8vq9in said:

Couldn't agree more.

LOL.

I guess I'm the outlier here. :D

Yeah sorry marv, i agree with them as well. This deal is very "safe". We as fans may not know everything behind the scenes, but i think we all know that if you stick 70% of any starting qb on this team, you will see moderate to great success. Kaepernick has alot to prove and the 49ers know it.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
http://grantland.com/the-triangle/b-s-r ... aepernick/

IIRC, this is the interview Sports Hernia is talking about, or at least one of them, as I believe he also talked to WSJ and said something about how Denver would exploit Seattle, he was looking forward to exploiting Seattle's weaknesses on D next year, etc.

That sort of one-foot-in, one-foot-out contract making has not hurt the 49ers yet. Suffice it to say that if and when they return to the days of 6-10, it won't work as well. You can get away with a lot when you're winning.

Status
Not open for further replies.