Colin kaepernick gets contract extension

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
I tip my cap to Baalke and the Niners' front office. If Kaepernick takes the next step in his development, they have him locked up for years in a contract that will look better and better as the salary cap continues to rise. If Kaepernick plateaus or chokes, they can cut bait with little dead money to worry about. Win-win for the team. I'm impressed, unfortunately.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
The Outfield":2ewzwany said:
Now Kaepy can buy Papaki the turtle all the toys he wants!

Say that ten times fast. :laugh:

Regarding this contract, though, the more details that come out, the more I think it's a good thing for the NFL. You may say he's getting fleeced by the 49ers, but he's making a crap-ton of cash regardless, and all for some pretty iffy quarterback play when it counts. That seems a pretty reasonable trade-out when viewed in light of his overall performance.

And this does nothing but help the Seahawks for next year when we negotiate with Russell Wilson. This type of contract template allows us to consider ways to pay him a lot of money while still not breaking the bank and forcing our hand with other player negotiations.

Bottom line is, if this had been a record-breaking, monumental deal for Kaepernick, it would have done two things: first, put the 49ers in a horrible position money-wise over the next few years (good for us), but second, set the precedent for an earth-shattering deal for Russell Wilson (bad for us). If he'd been grossly underpaid, it would have left the 49ers well off money-wise over the next few years (bad for us), but set precedent for a much more team-friendly deal with Russell Wilson (good for us). Those types of contracts are win-lose/lose-win scenarios either way you look at them. This one also so, but less so in my opinion.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2y2dz6ra said:
I have to give it to Trent Baalke; he fleeced the hell out of Kaepernick and his agents on this one.

Kaepernick could have walked after this year and got that conditional money (and probably more) guaranteed by some QB needy team. He really had little reason to take a deal like this.

I think the 49ers leveraged the fact that Kap didn't really HAVE any leverage.

He was set to make 1 mil this year. The signing bonus gives him 13 mil this year. HUGE raise.

The rest of the deal is good money, but below market and locks him up for 7 full years.

IF he pans out the way 49er fans hope, then this deal is a total steal. If he doesn't, they can let him walk fairly cheaply.

The funny part to me tho is the de-escalators. He losses 2 mil every year he doesn't take 80% or the snaps AND either be all-pro or go to a Super Bowl. Why make them de-escalators? Why not just make them bonuses? My guess is so that the agent can talk about those base salaries.

All and all, a much better deal for the 49ers than I had been expecting.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Shadowhawk":h4rryexf said:
I tip my cap to Baalke and the Niners' front office. If Kaepernick takes the next step in his development, they have him locked up for years in a contract that will look better and better as the salary cap continues to rise. If Kaepernick plateaus or chokes, they can cut bait with little dead money to worry about. Win-win for the team. I'm impressed, unfortunately.

Exactly.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":3350jf34 said:
It's very simple, they held the threat of waiting a year to give him a deal over his head. "Take what we offer, and we'll do it now."

This.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Marvin49":36nylzr8 said:
Smelly McUgly":36nylzr8 said:
I have to give it to Trent Baalke; he fleeced the hell out of Kaepernick and his agents on this one.

Kaepernick could have walked after this year and got that conditional money (and probably more) guaranteed by some QB needy team. He really had little reason to take a deal like this.

I think the 49ers leveraged the fact that Kap didn't really HAVE any leverage.

Um, his impending free agency was his leverage. He could play out this year, force the 49ers to franchise him, which would earn him a cool 16.1M as of this year (and would be more than that next year), and force the 49ers not to franchise him again to agree to sign the franchise contract.

Instead, he took a below market deal that essentially pays him 18M/yr, but he can be cut at any time if he gets injured without seeing a lot of that money, assuming he gets injured at some point in the next two or three years.

Were I him, I'd take my 1M this year and dare the 49ers to franchise me, knowing that I could get a team to go 7/150 at some point with the rising salary cap over the next couple years. Awful deal for Kaepernick, but shrewd fleecing by Baalke. It makes me wonder if Marty Hurney is now Kaepernick's agent or something.

Reaction score
I know it's the cool thing to just hate on him and find whatever negative you can with the news, but Kaepernick actually went to his agent and to the 49ers FO saying to make his contract have flexibility to re-sign veterans like Crabtree and the OLine.

I'd imagine he's pretty happy with the result. Especially since the deal was done in a ridiculously short period of time once the cap room freed up.

Who knows, it might prompt Wilson to do the same.

ivotuk

Reaction score
This is a bargain.

The cap will only go up and in 3 - 4 years Kaep will probably be the lowest paid starting QB in the NFL.

Front7vLOB

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":2bfhdioq said:
Um, his impending free agency was his leverage. He could play out this year, force the 49ers to franchise him, which would earn him a cool 16.1M as of this year (and would be more than that next year), and force the 49ers not to franchise him again to agree to sign the franchise contract.

Instead, he took a below market deal that essentially pays him 18M/yr, but he can be cut at any time if he gets injured without seeing a lot of that money, assuming he gets injured at some point in the next two or three years.

Were I him, I'd take my 1M this year and dare the 49ers to franchise me, knowing that I could get a team to go 7/150 at some point with the rising salary cap over the next couple years. Awful deal for Kaepernick, but shrewd fleecing by Baalke. It makes me wonder if Marty Hurney is now Kaepernick's agent or something.
One thing before I address the rest of your post:

@timkawakami: Looks like Kaepernick's deal could end up at 3 years, $43M if they don't want him in 2017. That's why I said we have to see the real numbers

It's not even an $18m a year deal. It's actually $15m. This is pretty amazing. Either Kap wins a SB or voted All-Pro, which triggers the escalators, or Kap sees a very modest deal that's very-team friendly.. Win-win for the 49ers.

And it's a win for Kap. I think he realized he'd rather be locked in with the 49ers under Jim Harbaugh than sign somewhere like Cleveland or Oakland the following offseason.

If Kap performs the way he has the past 2 seasons, he will see a lot of the money. Thing is, it sounds like money isn't all that big of a deal for him. People can rag on him for the shoes and his showboat attitude, but the guy signed one of the most team-friendly deals in sports history. Yes, I said it.

So, I don't see how people can continue to call him selfish or immature on here.

Obviously he is no RW when it comes to being the ultimate pro, but Kap proved he wants to attain that status

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
Largent80":29n2w3w9 said:
I'm just wondering which of those contract years that they cut or trade him.

Exactly what I was thinking. I honestly believe that CK's contract doesn't mean squat and was designed in the interest of SF getting rid of him if needed. I think the guy is erratic and that there is no way SF was stupid enough to make a hard commitment to him. After imploding in last game and running off the field pouting early in the year, KaeperFumble solidified his creepiness by going on WSJ and making up stories.

How long before the full blown meltdown happens? I dunno, but it is gonna happen and the Niners FO will cut ties easily.

Sherminator

Reaction score
Trenchbroom":1yp4cfzb said:
So he signs a contract that gives the team all of the leverage and viewed by most as a below market contract, right before Cam, Russell, RGIII and luck get paid.

Hmm, I wonder if he's the type of player that would, oh, I dunno...hold out for more money? Make waves? Raise a stink like a real Dbag?

Nah, Niners fans have NOTHING to worry about I am sure.

Wilson has it on file saying he wants to be a franchise owner (possibly two at the same time)

Kaep wanted to take less money to bring back guys like Crabs and VD.

But I'm sure you have your sources as well.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Marvin49":ziwkh16n said:
The funny part to me tho is the de-escalators. He losses 2 mil every year he doesn't take 80% or the snaps AND either be all-pro or go to a Super Bowl. Why make them de-escalators? Why not just make them bonuses? My guess is so that the agent can talk about those base salaries.

That's pretty much it, I'm thinking. It makes the deal look more impressive at first glance. Just bragging rights.

Marvin49

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":3q7rbfyu said:
Largent80":3q7rbfyu said:

Exactly what I was thinking. I honestly believe that CK's contract doesn't mean squat and was designed in the interest of SF getting rid of him if needed. I think the guy is erratic and that there is no way SF was stupid enough to make a hard commitment to him. After imploding in last game and running off the field pouting early in the year, KaeperFumble solidified his creepiness by going on WSJ and making up stories.

How long before the full blown meltdown happens? I dunno, but it is gonna happen and the Niners FO will cut ties easily.

hehe. :)

So fun sometimes to read the negative spin on everything. You could very well be right, who knows. I sure don't.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":wshzlmmx said:

Maybe "Captain One Read" ain't that bright?

Sherminator

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":2t5zyaip said:
Largent80":2t5zyaip said:

Do you have a link for this?

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Front7vLOB":3c1bcibc said:
Smelly McUgly":3c1bcibc said:

@timkawakami: Looks like Kaepernick's deal could end up at 3 years, $43M if they don't want him in 2017. That's why I said we have to see the real numbers

It's not even an $18m a year deal. It's actually $15m. This is pretty amazing. Either Kap wins a SB or voted All-Pro, which triggers the escalators, or Kap sees a very modest deal that's very-team friendly.. Win-win for the 49ers.

And it's a win for Kap. I think he realized he'd rather be locked in with the 49ers under Jim Harbaugh than sign somewhere like Cleveland or Oakland the following offseason.

If Kap performs the way he has the past 2 seasons, he will see a lot of the money. Thing is, it sounds like money isn't all that big of a deal for him. People can rag on him for the shoes and his showboat attitude, but the guy signed one of the most team-friendly deals in sports history. Yes, I said it.

So, I don't see how people can continue to call him selfish or immature on here.

Obviously he is no RW when it comes to being the ultimate pro, but Kap proved he wants to attain that status

Wanting to be in SF is fine, though I wouldn't necessarily count on Jim Harbaugh being there for the next six years, and that's just because most coaches don't end up like Jeff Fisher in Tennessee even if they ARE successful.

However, you can want to be in SF without rolling over and essentially taking a 3/43 deal that is a huge "prove it" deal. Alex Smith will somehow end up getting 20M from some idiot team for doing much less than Kaepernick has done because the market for legit starting QBs is always hot. Even if you don't want to leave SF, you can leverage Oakland or St. Louis or whoever against SF for more money instead of rolling over and taking this awful-looking deal. I don't even like Kaepernick, and I'm ticked off that he took a deal like this.

This is like a deal you would take if you HAD to prove your worth. Alex Smith took 2/16 from SF when it still wasn't sure that he would live up to being the man there or anywhere at all. Kaepernick would have suitors who would see his ability to run and his two NFCCG appearances and give him 20+M right off the bat. This is just a total misread of the market on the part of his agents...but maybe I underestimate just how much he desperately wants to stay in SF.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1k4f5c98 said:
Front7vLOB":1k4f5c98 said:
Smelly McUgly":1k4f5c98 said:

Wanting to be in SF is fine, though I wouldn't necessarily count on Jim Harbaugh being there for the next six years, and that's just because most coaches don't end up like Jeff Fisher in Tennessee even if they ARE successful.

However, you can want to be in SF without rolling over and essentially taking a 3/43 deal that is a huge "prove it" deal. Alex Smith will somehow end up getting 20M from some idiot team for doing much less than Kaepernick has done because the market for legit starting QBs is always hot. Even if you don't want to leave SF, you can leverage Oakland or St. Louis or whoever against SF for more money instead of rolling over and taking this awful-looking deal. I don't even like Kaepernick, and I'm ticked off that he took a deal like this.

This is like a deal you would take if you HAD to prove your worth. Alex Smith took 2/16 from SF when it still wasn't sure that he would live up to being the man there or anywhere at all. Kaepernick would have suitors who would see his ability to run and his two NFCCG appearances and give him 20+M right off the bat. This is just a total misread of the market on the part of his agents...but maybe I underestimate just how much he desperately wants to stay in SF.

Not really even arguing with you....

....but I just have to wonder if that would be the take you'd have if Wilson had signed the exact same deal.

Methinks it would be much more like "how unselfish he is and look how much he wants to help the team win and keep other players".

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Marvin49":2924m8yt said:

....but I just have to wonder if that would be the take you'd have if Wilson had signed the exact same deal.

Methinks it would be much more like "how unselfish he is and look how much he wants to help the team win and keep other players".

Oh, it would be different, but only in the sense that I would be a little bit happy about it since it would help our team's cap issues.

I'd still be utterly riding Wilson's agents for taking a deal that essentially pays him 3/43 and then allows the team to walk away from him. It's stupid. Make your money while you have time! Don't let these billionaire owners off so damn easy.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Marvin49":dv4cfzyu said:
Smelly McUgly":dv4cfzyu said:
Front7vLOB":dv4cfzyu said:
Smelly McUgly":dv4cfzyu said:

LOL, it never changes with you.... Defend, deflect, repeat...... defend, deflect, repeat.... SMH.

Status
Not open for further replies.