Chip Kelly hired by sf

rideaducati

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3puj81rt said:
rideaducati":3puj81rt said:
Scottemojo":3puj81rt said:
The curious thing to me will be the QBs. They have two spread guys now. And I could see Gabbert challenging for the job.

If the competition is Kaepernick, Gabbert won't even be challenged.
That depends on if Chip gets to make the call, or the guy writing big checks makes the call.

And that is the real job Chip took. Doing as he is told. Not his strength.

I doubt Chip would prefer Kaepernick. Kaepernick doesn't have the lateral quickness to make a man miss in open space, he is just fast in basically a straight line. Kaepernick doesn't have touch on passes and routinely misses guys on five yard passes by more than five yards. Chip seems to like guys with a quick release. I've seen bass pros with quicker releases.

If Kaepernick was Baalke's guy, I doubt he would have allowed JimTom to bench him.

I don't think Kaepernick makes the team unless he can't pass a physical by April 1st.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
This hire and he last one prove that Jed York is a guy you would want to play poker with. Last year showed that he can't resist goin with his sentiments, and this year proves that he'll bet big on any pot. You could fleece this guy all night in Texas Hold 'em.

theENGLISHseahawk":3npr9q7i said:
I love how suddenly this is good news for Kaepernick. Yeah -- that's just what he needs. A third offensive coordinator in three years. A front office that was bad mouthing him to the national media during the season. A team that put all his jersey's on sale (and have now bumped up the price again because... Chip). And because Kelly used mobile quarterbacks at Oregon -- that means Kaepernick is suddenly going to be able to read a defense and make good decisions.

If anything, Kelly's rocket pace offense will be a hindrance. He has to think even quicker than ever. Anyone who thinks he'll just be able to play one-read and run stuff like they do in college is having a laugh. Teams will just take away the run and force him to throw.

Meanwhile that defense will be exhausted by week 6.

What an absolute circus of a franchise. Stumbling and bumbling along.

I'd be absolutely devastated if Jed owned my team.
Actually Kaepernick has by far been most successful when in a hurry up situation.

And as for his issues as a quarterback, it isn't reading defenses that is the biggest problem. The real problem is his post snap ANTICIPATION, which is non-existent at times, and his hesitation due to not trusting his wrs, line, and his own eyes. (Note: a former 49er coach anonymously said that reading defenses wasn't his problem. Rather, it was throwing anticipation passes prior to the wr being open, which destroyed all timing and made it easy for defenders to make plays on the ball).

Often it has been said that while Kap has played inconsistently or even horribly at times, when he's at his best he can make ridiculous throws no one else really can. However, a quarterback like Wilson or Brady or Palmer WOULDNT HAVE TO make an amazing play because they would have gotten the ball out on time and in the right location to begin with. Kaepernick has shown himself to be fools gold. Great for a few amazing highlights every year, but so inconsistent that it erases that upside.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Marvin49":q20og8w5 said:
I just said the offense might help Kap because its simple. How am I spinning. that's not exactly a compliment to Kap. Do you disagree with the concept that a simplified offense would help kap?

I'm pretty sure they simplified things this season. Didn't seem to.

rideaducati

Reaction score
Laloosh":1hlp1mxb said:
Marvin49":1hlp1mxb said:
I just said the offense might help Kap because its simple. How am I spinning. that's not exactly a compliment to Kap. Do you disagree with the concept that a simplified offense would help kap?

I'm pretty sure they simplified things this season. Didn't seem to.

Simplifying the offense wasn't Kaepernick's downfall, expecting Kaepernick to hit a moving target was. Harbaugh knew Kaepernick couldn't, can't, won't, wouldn't hit a moving target very often, so Harbaugh implemented a lot of routes where the receiver would stop somewhere in a soft spot in a zone or at the top of a route and Kaepernick would throw the fastball.

taco40

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1ch6yy5o said:
This isn't good. Chip Kelly is a damn good coach, and I have a feeling he's gonna be as successful as Harbaugh was when he was their coach. Well, I guess if that's how it plays out then it won't be so bad for us.
Agreed.
Kelly has the ability to grate on the nerves of his employer after a while in a similar fashion as the previous grating personality in the HC position. However, they almost got used to it and would still have that dirtbag if things hadn't fallen apart in the locker room which turned out to be a stopping place before residency at the county jail. Kelly won't put up with that and he's not quite (somewhat close ) as grating to the admin and the fans will like him. The admin will put up with him longer since he's not nearly as awful to endure as Harbum. sF will have to be reconned with more quickly than we had thought and for longer.

chris98251

Reaction score
taco40":2vfc2w2u said:
fenderbender123":2vfc2w2u said:
This isn't good. Chip Kelly is a damn good coach, and I have a feeling he's gonna be as successful as Harbaugh was when he was their coach. Well, I guess if that's how it plays out then it won't be so bad for us.
Agreed.
Kelly has the ability to grate on the nerves of his employer after a while in a similar fashion as the previous grating personality in the HC position. However, they almost got used to it and would still have that dirtbag if things hadn't fallen apart in the locker room which turned out to be a stopping place before residency at the county jail. Kelly won't put up with that and he's not quite (somewhat close ) as grating to the admin and the fans will like him. The admin will put up with him longer since he's not nearly as awful to endure as Harbum. sF will have to be reconned with more quickly than we had thought and for longer.

Harbaugh didn't like that stuff either, but like Kelly he didn't have a say in it, it was Baalke hanging on to them and because the coach doesn't control the personnel you have to work around it. Kelly has no say in who the 49ers bring in on paper, he may try to give insight to what he needs to be successful, but it still comes back to Baalke, why do you think nobody else wanted the job?

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
A lot of Kaep bashing and rightfully so on a Seahawks board, but not one mention of the fact that he had a torn ligament in his thumb on throwing hand, or that he had a shredded labrum on shoulder , or that he had a bad knee that required surgery. This dude never once complained, just kept playing until they benched him an blamed everything on him. Never said a word, let the O-line do their thing an keep bashing him. Was a consummate pro. As for Kelly, a lot of his offense was and is based in watching Chris Ault an CK do their thing. He spent countless hours with Ault asking him everything about the zone read so to say Kaep can only run in a straight line is crazy. Marionta as well? Give him a chance to compete for the job. If he loses it then it was fair and square. Kelly offense is simple? So simple that his first three years in the NFL it was 2nd , 5th & 12th. So it's a super simple almost top 5 avg offense. Just doesn't make any sense.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":364mpnxk said:
A lot of Kaep bashing and rightfully so on a Seahawks board, but not one mention of the fact that he had a torn ligament in his thumb on throwing hand, or that he had a shredded labrum on shoulder , or that he had a bad knee that required surgery. This dude never once complained, just kept playing until they benched him an blamed everything on him. Never said a word, let the O-line do their thing an keep bashing him. Was a consummate pro. As for Kelly, a lot of his offense was and is based in watching Chris Ault an CK do their thing. He spent countless hours with Ault asking him everything about the zone read so to say Kaep can only run in a straight line is crazy. Marionta as well? Give him a chance to compete for the job. If he loses it then it was fair and square. Kelly offense is simple? So simple that his first three years in the NFL it was 2nd , 5th & 12th. So it's a super simple almost top 5 avg offense. Just doesn't make any sense.

Did Kap have a torn ligament and a shredded labrum from 2012-14, when Kaepernick went 1-5 as a starter (including playoffs) against the Seahawks and posted a passing line of 88/165/961/3/9/54.1?

Bob Loblaw

Reaction score
What in the Sam Hell does that have to do with what we are talking about now? His play this year an if he fits well in Chip Kelly system? Very weird, an a terrible attempt to try an point out he has lost to the Seahawks a lot. This is something everyone knows. You need better material. Sorry but exit stage left

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
EverydayImRusselin":gowcqhld said:
The only thing that worries me is Kaepernick is light years better than Foles/Sanchez/Bradford and I think Chip can build an offense around him.
I've always thought he would be effective in a read-option offense. Although the crucial element here is actually READING THE DEFENSE -- something Wilson is a genius at, and Kaep is...
...unknown at this time.

Maulbert

Reaction score
Bob Loblaw":wsjj4bb6 said:
What in the Sam Hell does that have to do with what we are talking about now? His play this year an if he fits well in Chip Kelly system? Very weird, an a terrible attempt to try an point out he has lost to the Seahawks a lot. This is something everyone knows. You need better material. Sorry but exit stage left

You're making excuses for his bad play this season. I'm saying he always played bad.

chris98251

Reaction score
Gabbert makes decisions much faster then Kaep, that's the problem, Kaep can go one place fine but reading a defense and reacting seems to be his problem. Once he sees what he has the processing time to see, react and then do whats needed takes to long. When he does actually react the window for success has already started to close because the defense see's his reaction.

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Whatever Kaepernick's issues are pre-snap (and whatever injuries he had last year)...

You see the same thing time and time again -- and did so even when the 49ers were winning. He panics under pressure -- and that's when the boom or bust begins. He's capable of pulling off a 20-yard scramble. When he rolls out and sticks with the pass that's when every Niners fan in the world probably watches through their fingers. He telegraphs throws.

If the plan is to quicken things up and simplify things -- what happens when teams just say -- spy and watch the QB run, take our chances with him throwing on the move. He'll either resort to throwing to the first read and force it or he'll take off and have the kind of picks/mistakes he's had vs Seattle in the last two seasons.

There's an assumption I think by the general NFL observer that Kaepernick is a great fit for Kelly just because he's mobile. Like Kelly's system has to have a mobile QB -- basically because Kelly won at Oregon with guys like Mariota. The Oregon Ducks aren't being re-created in the NFL and I think Kelly understands that.

The Niners are going through a massive transition that'll take at least 2-3 years IMO to re-stock and reload. And I think Jed thinks he can plug in Kelly and start winning quickly. You've lost too many good players (and possibly more of the old guard to go too eg Boone) to think that way. If he thinks Kelly and Baalke share a vision or can work to rebuild this roster -- does anyone believe in that plan?? It really does look like he's panicked a bit after a general lack of buzz around the vacancy and he's gone after one of the big names showing interest.

In all seriousness -- I don't take any great joy out of this. Same with the other teams with awful owner situations (I can't imagine being a Titans fan right now). As a NFL fan you can't really avoid thinking, 'imagine if that was us??'. You had a good thing going with Harbaugh who always felt like a genuinely brilliant coach. Can't help but think if he'd won the power struggle with Baalke and you'd built around him -- you'd be trending in a very different direction. Even if Harbaugh is a pain in the backside to be around for the front office members. You tolerate it IMO for a guy who produces results.

hawk45

Reaction score
Kaepernick, the guy who fires rockets at his receivers at any distance, is a for Kelly's offense? The only thing funnier than the rockets are when he tried to put touch on his passes this year. Pure comedy.

NINEster

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3bmhyr1m said:
rlkats":3bmhyr1m said:
Even IF there was a hire that was perfect or the niners did something correct you wouldn't give credit where it would be due.

Several posters, ENGLISH included, stated that Hue Jackson would be a great hire for the 49ers. And this is when all signs were pointing to him being hired.

Easy to say that now that Jackson will not be the 49er head coach.

You guys notice how all the Harbaugh praise around here happened immediately after he was let go by the 49ers?

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
NINEster":2ta5z3u3 said:
Easy to say that now that Jackson will not be the 49er head coach.

You guys notice how all the Harbaugh praise around here happened immediately after he was let go by the 49ers?

1. We said Jackson would be a good hire when all the talk was he was going to San Fran. Not after he took the Cleveland job. Go check the threads on here. I started one saying it'd be a great hire, linking to a report stating he was the main candidate.

2. We all disliked Harbaugh because he was the arch-nemesis. But nobody... NOBODY... ever suggested for a second the guy couldn't coach.

NINEster

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":2a4qvsa6 said:
Whatever Kaepernick's issues are pre-snap (and whatever injuries he had last year)...

You see the same thing time and time again -- and did so even when the 49ers were winning. He panics under pressure -- and that's when the boom or bust begins. He's capable of pulling off a 20-yard scramble. When he rolls out and sticks with the pass that's when every Niners fan in the world probably watches through their fingers. He telegraphs throws.

If the plan is to quicken things up and simplify things -- what happens when teams just say -- spy and watch the QB run, take our chances with him throwing on the move. He'll either resort to throwing to the first read and force it or he'll take off and have the kind of picks/mistakes he's had vs Seattle in the last two seasons.

There's an assumption I think by the general NFL observer that Kaepernick is a great fit for Kelly just because he's mobile. Like Kelly's system has to have a mobile QB -- basically because Kelly won at Oregon with guys like Mariota. The Oregon Ducks aren't being re-created in the NFL and I think Kelly understands that.

The Niners are going through a massive transition that'll take at least 2-3 years IMO to re-stock and reload. And I think Jed thinks he can plug in Kelly and start winning quickly. You've lost too many good players (and possibly more of the old guard to go too eg Boone) to think that way. If he thinks Kelly and Baalke share a vision or can work to rebuild this roster -- does anyone believe in that plan?? It really does look like he's panicked a bit after a general lack of buzz around the vacancy and he's gone after one of the big names showing interest.

In all seriousness -- I don't take any great joy out of this. Same with the other teams with awful owner situations (I can't imagine being a Titans fan right now). As a NFL fan you can't really avoid thinking, 'imagine if that was us??'. You had a good thing going with Harbaugh who always felt like a genuinely brilliant coach. Can't help but think if he'd won the power struggle with Baalke and you'd built around him -- you'd be trending in a very different direction. Even if Harbaugh is a pain in the backside to be around for the front office members. You tolerate it IMO for a guy who produces results.

Keeping Harbaugh is fair.

But honestly, if Harbaugh would never relinquish his offense to someone else, he could go for all I care.

It's trendy to say that Kaepernick regressed, but 49er run blocking and run game in general dropped a bit in 2014. The defense also dropped off a bit.

I'd like to see Kaepernick in a new offense. It's a fair request.

We've seen Cam Newton suck with subpar conditions. Robert Griffin IIII.

When Wilson has had garbage games, the Seahawk D and run game have always been there to bail him out.

What happens when the defense bails you out?

You get Ws while other QBs get Ls.

Meanwhile you're regarded as good and they are not.

Latest posts