Chances of retaining Sherman better or worse with Revis deal

WmHBonney

Reaction score
Carmon1274":3c8rhxxx said:
False. RW's contract won't be that high. The reason because is that he has to fit in the right scheme, to be a sucessful QB. If he doesn't go read-option play, he will be an average QB. + The Seahawks OL is pretty above average, it helps RW move around in the pocket for a long time.

For Sherman, he is someone who would want a max contract, higher than anyone's deal. So yes he won't stay with Seattle for a long time. I think JS will use the franchise tag 2x on Sherman.

Say what? :34853_doh:

NinerLifer

Reaction score
Bakergirl":15wdlbhp said:
I think Sherman would stay. Where else does he get to be a part of history in the making. This team is on the road to at least one Super Bowl if not more. I think he is going to keep his wagon hitched to that rising star.

Sherman strikes me as the type that will follow the money. And if RW continues to improve until then, you guys face the real possibility of having to watch Sherman leave Seattle.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
As previously stated - no guaranteed money is odd and definitely inflates the total size.

As it relates to Sherman, I see us extending him in a 5-6 year deal that looks much like what Harvin has right now - worth approximately 10-13 million a year with somewhere between 20-30 million guaranteed in the first two years. Afterwards, just base salary in the $10 million range. How long that stays will be up to his play and our ability to draft a replacement.

Overall, I do not see us not resigning him unless he was injured. Even if we draft well - it'll be Browner that gets replaced.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
The best solution I have for any players that may leave for more money in 2-3 years...win the whole thing now and often!

Dirty Bird

Reaction score
He is going to get PAID, plus Seattle will have to start pinching pennies in order to save up for that Russell Wilson contract the following year. Whether it be in Seattle or somewhere else he will get top market value, Sherman will not take a large discount to stay in Seattle and some fans will resent him for that.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
If a contract can't be reached just franchise him and trade him for a couple of 1st round picks. But I think he'll be re-signed.

cesame

Reaction score
I really have no doubt the Seahawks retain Sherman. None.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
WmHBonney":a3tj9tld said:
Carmon1274":a3tj9tld said:
False. RW's contract won't be that high. The reason because is that he has to fit in the right scheme, to be a sucessful QB. If he doesn't go read-option play, he will be an average QB. + The Seahawks OL is pretty above average, it helps RW move around in the pocket for a long time.

For Sherman, he is someone who would want a max contract, higher than anyone's deal. So yes he won't stay with Seattle for a long time. I think JS will use the franchise tag 2x on Sherman.

Say what? :34853_doh:

Happens all the time. People who obviously haven't done their homework on RW. He's excelled in the WCO at NC State, the PA at Wisconsin and now is excelling in our hybrid system. But. Yeah, he's a 'system QB'.... of nearly every system in existence.

Hawkstorian

Reaction score
cesame":1gg9mpup said:
I really have no doubt the Seahawks retain Sherman. None.

I wish I had your confidence on the matter, but I don't. I don't think we'll pay Sherman what he expects to get paid.

Laloosh

Reaction score
HawkWow":1k3m3t5x said:
... RS is a master of media manipulation and I believe his objective clear...

Sorry but I stopped reading your post right there.

He's a big mouth. A really great big mouth to have on your team, but he's a big mouth and sometimes he looks like a fool when he speaks. Still love 'em though.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Carmon1274":2jpie1rt said:
If he doesn't go read-option play, he will be an average QB. + The Seahawks OL is pretty above average, it helps RW move around in the pocket for a long time.

Arguably the worst post I've ever seen on this site.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Rat":2da53gr1 said:
Cartire":2da53gr1 said:
Okung and thomas already has a decent contract thanks to his deal being done prior new cba, so all though it will be bigger, it wont be such a massive difference then it is now.
Why are their current deals relevant to what their next one will be? Thomas is an elite player, while Okung is a very good player at a premium position. They're not going to take lesser deals just because the guys drafted in first round the past two years are making less than they did.

I believe Okung already makes 7 million this year, an elite LT makes 9-10 million - his point is that his raise will be minimal compared to a guy like RW who will go from 500K to 15-20 million (or more).

Hawks46

Reaction score
My thought process went along the lines of Hawkwow's. Sherman wants to be seen as the best CB in the NFL, and he will want to be paid accordingly, as that's part of the "respect" thing.

A couple of things could change this:

Seahawks could offer Sherman the largest contract ever, then Sherman would pull a Brady and take less than was offered. This appeases the respect issue, and also makes Sherm look even better for being a team player. Kind of fantastical, but I could see both sides orchestrating this beforehand. If a team goes out of it's way to make a player look this good to the rest of the league, it would probably appease that player's ego.

If Sherman gets repeated media and league accolades as the undisputed best CB in the NFL, then he might have his ego stroked enough to be amenable to a team friendly deal. After all, if it's common knowledge that he's the best, his contract wouldn't necessarily have to reflect that.

If Russell Wilson keeps going at his pace from the last half of last year (without much improvement, just keeping that level) he'll be considered a top 5 QB in the league and would command 16-18 million a year. I have no doubt about Wilson's character that he'll get paid well, but won't hold the Hawks' feet to the fire; he'll take a team friendly deal to not crush our salary cap.

From what I've read, Miller's contract is much more cap friendly after this year. Coincidentally, there are guys like Thomas and Sherman that will need to get paid. Gee, wonder if the FO did this on purpose ? Rice, on the other hand, might have to restructure.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
BocciHawk":vrgvu7j9 said:
I think Sherman will get a $100 million deal, but I think it'll be structured in a cap friendly and team friendly way.

Win win, he gets the biggest contract ever for a defensive player, and we keep him.

(Ex: tacking on years that will never get paid at that rate, giving him incentives he'll never reach, and something like $30-$40 million guaranteed plus $6 to $12 million per season, on a six year deal, with the small numbers at the front...)

There is no cap friendly/team friendly 100 million dollar deal. It's stupid to pay any defensive player that kind of money when you need 10 other defenders (see Mario Williams)

I think the Hawks will franchise Sherman after his contract expires, the franchise tag for a cornerback was 10.7 million this year, I'd pay 11 million for a year Sherman. We'll see what kind of player he is in 2015.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
Navyhawkfan187":2o8owmep said:
Ian on with Kam last week after the first mini-camp and Kam has said all the guy's (LOB) have talked about things, they all know how the cap works, and would all love to stay together for as long as possible. Guys on this team are actually really friends, they hang out all the time in the off season. When Sherman was throwing out the first pitch at Safeco, Kam and Earl were there with him along with his brother Branton. These guys truly enjoy each other's company. That factors in to an extent to where, say Earl deserves to be the highest paid FS in the NFL, the team does that deal, the other guys get that and know that there are only so many dollars to go around. I wouldn't be surprised if Sherman and Earl and possibly Kam if he gets his restructure done this off season all retire as Seahawks.

Guys "talk" like that all the time, a different story when it's time to negotiate.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
I really want to keep Sherman even if it ment letting Kam and Browner go, but 6/$96 is isnane. Only QB's should be anywhere close to that and only the top 5 QB (Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, and Wilson) deserve that kind of $$$.

We are probably best off franchising him. That would give us 3 full seasons to get All-Pro play from him and to find his replacement. Then we can let him get paid by someone else for his past production and get a comp pick later.

Coug_Hawk08

Reaction score
Definitely helps set trade value, should we not agree on terms for a multi year deal.

I think Sherman will want too much money. He does come across as a person that wants to make a personal point more than anything else. This is where I came from, nobody cared, now I am at the top, look at me now. In your face.

If that ends up being his attitude, he will be franchised. At that point, maybe we trade him, maybe we get something worked out. It is anyone's guess. We aren't going to just let an asset like that walk away with no return, i think we can all agree on that (much to the dismay of 9ers and falcons fans).

DavidSeven

Reaction score
It'll all work itself out. Sherman has said on TV that he wants to keep the LOB together, and I believe he is being sincere when he says stuff like that. He pointed out the need to eventually pay other guys like RW, ET, Okung, Kam, etc. He's a smart guy. He knows how the cap works. If he keeps up his production, Seattle will give him his payday, and I'm sure they already have it mapped out.

Will he take a significant discount? I don't know. But I do feel confident that it'll be worked out at the end of the day.

Personally, I think it's ridiculous that some would just assume he's a money-first guy because of his brash personality (seems to be mostly non-Seahawks fans). He's arguably the biggest "team" guy in Seattle. "You're just one man; we're a team," he once said to Tom Brady.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Say he's worth 11 million a year. You're saying he's worth at least 1st round money right now then. That's a couple million right there. He's getting 500k. That means he's being underpaid about 6-8 million right now for what he's worth. If he demands 17-19 million a year for the next four years after his contract expires, he'd have only been demanding that he got paid what he was worth for the full length of his career. Not being greedy, just fair. He can't get that much, of course, but whatever he can get, he's entitled to. He got ripped off in the draft and deserves to make it up.

There's no guarantees in the NFL. Anyone who would resent him for asking top dollar, even if it means leaving Seattle, is being, well, selfish.

Latest posts