Carpenter out of starting line up (Opinion)

Largent80

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":11b2i736 said:
Largent80":11b2i736 said:
NorthDallas40oz":11b2i736 said:
That's a dubious article. He states that the line play was improved with Bailey at LT and McQ at LG, but he doesn't quantify or qualify how.

Ummm....They were blocking better, no quantifying needed.
Ummm....yes there is. How did they grade out individually? What was the success rate on running plays to their side compared to the McQ/Carpenter tandem? What percentage of pass drops by RW resulted in pressures coming from their side of the line compared to the other tandem? Simply saying "they blocked better" is an empty subjective statement if not supported with some element of objective fact, which that writer (and you) failed to do. Nice try.

Ummm 4 snaps isn't a large enough sample. Mmmm-kay Postradamus?

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
chevelle03":2qwjyrp5 said:
So if Bailey played LT when Bowie went down, who was playing RT?
Bowie got hurt on the TD pass to Kearse, McCoy blasted RW on that play and rolled into the back of Bowie's leg.

Pie Romania

Reaction score
When Okung and Breno are back, I'd like to see something along the lines of....

Okung - Bailey/McQ - Unger - Carp/Sweezy - Breno

Neither of the Guards really as "back ups" though....more along the lines of getting Bailey some reps to see how he handles being thrown into the game here and there at guard (his best position) and then with Carpenter lacking stamina, throwing Sweezy in to inject some life when it's needed. Continuity would be nice, but I just don't see any consistency in that regard this season.

Oh, and I like Bailey better at LG due to his movement. I watched Bailey a fair bit in college and while this clip is against college competition, I'm high on Bailey being able to provide similar results in the pros. He plays LG and RG in the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq0_ImCJAGA

oasis

Reaction score
chevelle03":h1txyvxf said:
This. I'm trying to figure out if I should get uber-giddy again about hawk games, and the concept of having a somewhat respectable O-line is more than enough for me. If I would make a guess about future Pre-Okung game(s), since Bowie came back, I'd say our book end tackles would be some solid rookies. Huzzah.

Largent80

Reaction score
Bailey has the best last name on the planet. I should know.

I want to get his/my jersey.

chevelle03

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":2r0b1e1i said:
chevelle03":2r0b1e1i said:
Bowie got hurt on the TD pass to Kearse, McCoy blasted RW on that play and rolled into the back of Bowie's leg.

So Bowie missed one snap then? The last play before half? Who played RT on that snap?

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
chevelle03":26zzj0d6 said:
BAllenHawk":26zzj0d6 said:
chevelle03":26zzj0d6 said:

So Bowie missed one snap then? The last play before half? Who played RT on that snap?
No, that was their last offensive snap of the half, I don't believe Bowie missed a play.

Basis4day

Reaction score
This thread is a great illustration that we don't really know at all what would make the o-line improve, nor do we have much of a clue about who is playing on the line at any given time with attributable success.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
I re-watched the second half, paying some attention to the O-line. Carpenter is getting even better as a run blocker. The way he gets movement at the line of scrimmage, just rooting out DTs, is really fun to watch. There's a lot to like there. Unfortunately like all of our interior lineman, he's inconsistent in pass protection. Carp and Pierre weren't even traffic cones on Wilson's late TD throw to Baldwin. The pressure up the middle was immediate from two Buccaneers and Russell was a magician making that throw. Like on a lot of plays, he also took a hit from the lackluster protection. I'm still putting some blame on Cable. These guys should be better with their technique and assignments. They struggle against stunts and there always seems to be free runners.

I've been an advocate of getting Bailey some more reps, but he was barely in on Sunday. I'd prefer a Carpenter/Bailey pairing, but maybe they think MQuistan will be a little more assignment sound on the inside.

razgriz737

Reaction score
BAllenHawk":460ah5uo said:
chevelle03":460ah5uo said:
BAllenHawk":460ah5uo said:
chevelle03":460ah5uo said:

No, that was their last offensive snap of the half, I don't believe Bowie missed a play.
Oooooh. I was wondering the same thing as chevelle03. Thanks.

OrFan

Reaction score
Largent80":14y9s33b said:
Bailey has the best last name on the planet. I should know.

I want to get his/my jersey.

I wish I could say the same. The guy wearing my last name on his jersey was the one who intercepted Wilson's pass on the goal line.

Hey, maybe we could get him here! (not likely)

sedrohawk

Reaction score
Pie Romania":3m7iz3oo said:
When Okung and Breno are back, I'd like to see something along the lines of....

Okung - Bailey/McQ - Unger - Carp/Sweezy - Breno

Neither of the Guards really as "back ups" though....more along the lines of getting Bailey some reps to see how he handles being thrown into the game here and there at guard (his best position) and then with Carpenter lacking stamina, throwing Sweezy in to inject some life when it's needed. Continuity would be nice, but I just don't see any consistency in that regard this season.

Oh, and I like Bailey better at LG due to his movement. I watched Bailey a fair bit in college and while this clip is against college competition, I'm high on Bailey being able to provide similar results in the pros. He plays LG and RG in the following video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq0_ImCJAGA

i dont think switching carp form lg to rg is a good idea at this point. i think just him getting playing time is the best thing for him right now. remember he hasnt played in alot of games in his career.

Latest posts