Carpenter out of starting line up (Opinion)

A

Anonymous

Well they HAD to try something because the last couple of games Wilson has been getting trucked. He shouldn't be taking so many hits. Hopefully Cable and crew can figure this out for the home stretch into the playoffs. We need to be able to produce points offensively and not lean on the defense so much. Only so much that our D can do...and they've been hanging in there (except against the run the past two weeks...but I have faith in Pete and Quinn to get it figured out).

Blitzer88

Reaction score
I thought that Carp actually came back in later in the game? Could be wrong. I knew Bailey came in at LT for our scoring drive before the half, but than in the second half Paul was back at LT and Carp was at LG.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Regarding Unger, remember that Tampa Bay was playing with a lead at that point too which dictated some of what they did on defense. Both score differential and game clock will make our line look slightly better as the game progresses.

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
HawkFan72":1w7ixgac said:
I noticed the change immediately after McQuistan moved. The Offense was almost unstoppable after that. It happened at the beginning of our 2nd TD drive.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201311030 ... &tab=recap

In every highlight on NFL.com McQuistan was playing LT. I can't find Bailey in a single highlight including overtime. Just wondering when/where you saw that. :snack:

Zebulon Dak

Banned
Reaction score
ImTheScientist":1fr3ir0g said:
HawkFan72":1fr3ir0g said:
I noticed the change immediately after McQuistan moved. The Offense was almost unstoppable after that. It happened at the beginning of our 2nd TD drive.

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/201311030 ... &tab=recap

In every highlight on NFL.com McQuistan was playing LT. I can't find Bailey in a single highlight including overtime. Just wondering when/where you saw that. :snack:

Yeah, I'm re-watching now and he really isn't looking all that bad. Last week he was a revolving door. How much of it is him and how much of it is the competition?

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
That's a dubious article. He states that the line play was improved with Bailey at LT and McQ at LG, but he doesn't quantify or qualify how.

Largent80

Reaction score
NorthDallas40oz":2zysni63 said:
That's a dubious article. He states that the line play was improved with Bailey at LT and McQ at LG, but he doesn't quantify or qualify how.

Ummm....They were blocking better, no quantifying needed.

bellingerga

Reaction score
Aros":19gstqlo said:
We better draft OT HEAVY in the 2014 draft!!

yeah im gonna be pretty pissed if we have another front office who thinks offensive line is not very important. Had enough of that with the Ruskellian Dark ages.

I think these guys will make it an emphasis this next draft. I sure hope so.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
Lynch Mob":3hyoujwc said:
don't know how to link the page but on espn.com they reported the line improved when Carpenter was replaced at LG with McQuistan and Alvin Bailey came in at LT.
I did'nt pay enough attention to to the line to notice but i think if they keep going with this rotation then its certain Carpenter won't be back next year in my opinion.

:sarcasm_on: Wow, that's pretty amazing Bailey could have made such a difference considering he only played 4 snaps yesterday and Carpenter only missed 4 snaps. Bailey must have been lights out for those 4 snaps. Yes, I'm sure we can make large judgements on line play based on such a high sample. :sarcasm_off:

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
At what point in the game was the switch? I ask because I now have the game on my computer and would like to know at what point to FF to.

NorthDallas40oz

Reaction score
Largent80":3mntf3fo said:
NorthDallas40oz":3mntf3fo said:

Ummm....They were blocking better, no quantifying needed.
Ummm....yes there is. How did they grade out individually? What was the success rate on running plays to their side compared to the McQ/Carpenter tandem? What percentage of pass drops by RW resulted in pressures coming from their side of the line compared to the other tandem? Simply saying "they blocked better" is an empty subjective statement if not supported with some element of objective fact, which that writer (and you) failed to do. Nice try.

The Outfield

Reaction score
Carpenter was in for 59 of 63 snaps, so I'm not sure how any conclusions can be drawn on 4 snaps.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I think this is more about benching McQ at LT than Carp. McQ is a good guard but an awful LT

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
Bailey was in for one drive at LT at the end of the first half from what I remember.

Subzero717

Reaction score
I'm way confused. Being there makes it difficult and i havent rewatched completely but didn't Bowie go out and Bailey replace him?

Link?? I can't find it anywhere.

Also title very misleading. He started. Until he doesn't start in Atl he is still in starting line up.

BAllenHawk

Reaction score
lukerguy":1p9xyvf2 said:
I think this is more about benching McQ at LT than Carp. McQ is a good guard but an awful LT
It was 4 snaps, but in those 4 snaps, mcq looked as awful at LG as he did at LT. Go back and watch the Kearse TD. MCQ absolutely gets beat like a mule, it was awful. Luckily Russell got the ball out quick, and the refs saw the hit and called roughing the passer. Granted it was Gerald McCoy who can do that to even good guards, but whatever over achieving juju the dude brought from Oakland, he's lost. When we get okung back, the only time MCQ should be in is to spell Carp's big butt for a series or two. Carp is an oustanding run blocker, and nowhere near as bad at pass pro as MCQ. And people doubting his ability to get to the second level, go back and watch his block he put on a LB in OT to get Marshawn Lynch down near the goal line, to set up the game winning field goal.

mikeak

Reaction score
Largent80":3nfrd45g said:
Okung is going to be way out of shape even IF his injury is healed. I LOVE Bailey getting in there and putting McQ at G where he belongs.

He should have been able to do a lot of exercise activities without putting pressure on the toe / foot area. Probably not game shape but not like he was sitting around for 6-8 weeks

Separately - the line may have done better but there were still free guys coming right through and RW buying lots of time moving around. Don't confuse success in the 2nd half with just the O-line getting better vs gameplan and moving by the QB

Latest posts