Cardinals new coach to allow "cell phone breaks"

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Heres the thing..
You see idiots on the road driving like a drunk because they cannot put the phone
down..
At work you see a lot who cannot focus because they worry about the stupid phone
more than doing their job..
Focus and paying attention to detail(s) is lost by those said worrying about their
phones..
How are you going to be sucessful in football or most jobs when you cannot do the
above?

mrt144

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1t7ps1n3 said:
How are you going to be sucessful in football or most jobs when you cannot do the
above?

How do you think people currently do it? I can already name 3 people within my org who are total phone monkeys and yet they are more productive than their peers in their respective departments who are not.

chris98251

Reaction score
mrt144":2cl8jz1x said:
IndyHawk":2cl8jz1x said:
above?

How do you think people currently do it? I can already name 3 people within my org who are total phone monkeys and yet they are more productive than their peers in their respective departments who are not.

There is always a few that can be outliers, but then again multitasking continuously will also have other effects that you may not see, lack of good sleep, higher stress levels that can lead to heart issues or blood pressure etc. The closest thing I can think of is people that work excessive hours and then burn out from fatigue since the brain and body need a relax state to recharge properly.

Lets look at the Vaping trend, it was marketed as no chemicals just flavors and nicotine non tobacco, now they are finding issues there as well.

Granted there is a lot of money behind trying to dispel the SAFE aspect from Tobacco and others calling it a gateway to smoking etc.

But we have a lot of evidence that Phone use and texting while trying to do another task is worse then being legally drunk as far as attention and reaction time from just driving incidents. That same crossover has to be true in other aspects of life as well.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":3ee0ltf5 said:
mrt144":3ee0ltf5 said:
IndyHawk":3ee0ltf5 said:
above?

There is always a few that can be outliers, but then again multitasking continuously will also have other effects that you may not see, lack of good sleep, higher stress levels that can lead to heart issues or blood pressure etc. The closest thing I can think of is people that work excessive hours and then burn out from fatigue since the brain and body need a relax state to recharge properly.

Lets look at the Vaping trend, it was marketed as no chemicals just flavors and nicotine non tobacco, now they are finding issues there as well.

Granted there is a lot of money behind trying to dispel the SAFE aspect from Tobacco and others calling it a gateway to smoking etc.

But we have a lot of evidence that Phone use and texting while trying to do another task is worse then being legally drunk as far as attention and reaction time from just driving incidents. That same crossover has to be true in other aspects of life as well.

Which leads to this attempt to collect it in sanctioned place. I have no idea how you even factor this in to their aggregate performance though

chris98251

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3lcc843z said:
In This Thread: Old People Yelling at Clouds

And if I was your boss and caught you texting and streaming or playing games on your phone on company time I would fire you.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not to point out the obvious, but this is probably beneficial.

In a typical 1 hour presentation, you are going to recall roughly 15 min of the content.

Breaking up the content into smaller segments and then walking away for short periods from it, actually helps you digest it faster. There is actually a system of study that works well, where you basically take a short break every 20 to 40 minutes. (depending on where in the cycle you are.)

This will probably end up working.

Because it prevents the distractions and then creates the breaks you need to digest.

I used something like this to learn Russian in 6 mo. (Which I no longer need or remember but at the time it got me fluent enough I could read Russian trade pubs)

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
chris98251":368kepxo said:
bmorepunk":368kepxo said:
In This Thread: Old People Yelling at Clouds

And if I was your boss and caught you texting and streaming or playing games on your phone on company time I would fire you.
I am a boss and would tell him once..Phone or job?Pick one..

ivotuk

Reaction score
So people can't focus without their phone? A piece of electronic hardware is so important to their life that they can't function without it?

In a sport that demands focus and discipline, this idea requires neither. And the argument that "cell phone breaks help people focus" is a joke. What happens when they're out of cell phone range? Does life end? Or, do they schedule their whole life around cell phone towers? If so, that's pathetic.

They're getting paid millions of dollars. And they hardly practice as it is. But let's not disturb their psyche by demanding that they work between the lunch, water, and bathroom breaks.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The message here is more than "cell phone breaks" and is a pretty astute assessment by the coach.

Hes giving a break of 30 minutes for whatever reason because he sees thats about as long as he expects his players to be focused before some trail off. Like TH stated.

Attend any corporate training development and the same understanding is built in.

People are hung up (pun) on cell phones but thats not the important facet of the break. Players can do whatever with the time. Point is, expect your adult students to get antsy after 30 minutes. He thinks he found a solution

Also... people shouldn't be surprised by this. Its fairly commin for people to have cellphones out in meetings now and almost a given to see people using them while being presented information. Some of you bosses may not like it, but its where the workforce is going.

Its 2019.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1jle4e12 said:
The message here is more than "cell phone breaks" and is a pretty astute assessment by the coach.

Hes giving a break of 30 minutes for whatever reason because he sees thats about as long as he expects his players to be focused before some trail off. Like TH stated.

Attend any corporate training development and the same understanding is built in.

People are hung up (pun) on cell phones but thats not the important facet of the break. Players can do whatever with the time. Point is, expect your adult students to get antsy after 30 minutes. He thinks he found a solution

Also... people shouldn't be surprised by this. Its fairly commin for people to have cellphones out in meetings now and almost a given to see people using them while being presented information. Some of you bosses may not like it, but its where the workforce is going.

Its 2019.

All true, but being able to focus is a learned trait, something the last two generations have not been taught very well, patience, focus and due diligence and follow through.

How many can't read a book because it takes to long, or a thread post here even, our instant gratification system has built in some issues that are going to raise their ugly heads in the not to distant future.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Thats not really the concern of the AZ Cardinals football coach though. Hes just reacting to the situation

bmorepunk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2tehq7kv said:

Its 2019.

Pretending to do work like a machine is not doing real work. Anybody can sit at a computer or stare at a presentation and look like they are doing something while their brain isn't there. Life's different when you do widgets, but if you do something that requires significant cognitive engagement, there are few people who can sit there and blast away all day without coming away from it.

If you want to can people who seem like they're goofing off but get just as much if not more done than the people who are "working" steady then you probably work in something where people are easily replaceable. Use them out and kick them out, I guess.

If you work in an environment where they are not easily replaceable (and the NFL is an extreme version of this), it would be in your best interest to find a good balance in doing things that make them happier and getting the job done. It turns out that if you just make people miserable to be old school "principled" they actually tend to not do a very good job or hang around.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
bmorepunk":3iqa84zs said:
Uncle Si":3iqa84zs said:

Its 2019.

Pretending to do work like a machine is not doing real work. Anybody can sit at a computer or stare at a presentation and look like they are doing something while their brain isn't there. Life's different when you do widgets, but if you do something that requires significant cognitive engagement, there are few people who can sit there and blast away all day without coming away from it.

If you want to can people who seem like they're goofing off but get just as much if not more done than the people who are "working" steady then you probably work in something where people are easily replaceable. Use them out and kick them out, I guess.

If you work in an environment where they are not easily replaceable (and the NFL is an extreme version of this), it would be in your best interest to find a good balance in doing things that make them happier and getting the job done. It turns out that if you just make people miserable to be old school "principled" they actually tend to not do a very good job or hang around.

Yes.

OP
OP
IndyHawk

IndyHawk

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":2sxwcfxo said:
I hate cell phones -- mine is about 5 years old and hardly works -- which shows you how interested in it I am.

I've got one neighbor who walks back and forth to her car with her cell phone stuck in her face, she texts and drives, she's texting when she goes to get her mail. She's about 20 years old, super pretty face, long black hair, but she's already 300+ pounds and I have never seen without that ))$(*@#@&)(@*# phone.

She came out to the pool to swim with her grandmother one day, she sat in the shallow end of the pool in her freaking street clothes and typed on her cell phone and utterly ignored her grandmother. The old lady kept trying to talk to her, get her attention, but she was completely entranced by that little glowing screen.

I wanted to grab the phone and smash it to pieces and yell, "HEY, MARSHMALLOW, YOU'RE PISSING YOUR LIFE AWAY!"

They're worse than slot machines. They've turned an entire generation into complete spit drooling morons.

We need another solar flare like the one in 1859 to save the human race.
:lol: :2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Can I tell the 2000 stories I have about people putting down their cellphones to help random strangers, or spend time with their family... or use those cellphones for good: video taping and reporting crimes, making fun, life long videos or pictures of their family, using them to bring up information to assist in professional settings, placing a bet on an upcoming game when the lineups are announced (maybe not that one).

Your grandparents said the same thing about TVs. Its a constantly evolving/adjusting distraction that no generation since the moving pictures were invented has avoided. Atleast cell phones can provide a great deal of asset as well.

Yes, it can be a problem... like any vice. A well placed solar flare will just change the vice.

For me.. props to the Cardinals coach for at least acknowledging his audience and making adjustments he thinks will benefit everyone.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":jg7lc7g7 said:
Can I tell the 2000 stories I have about people putting down their cellphones to help random strangers, or spend time with their family... or use those cellphones for good: video taping and reporting crimes, making fun, life long videos or pictures of their family, using them to bring up information to assist in professional settings, placing a bet on an upcoming game when the lineups are announced (maybe not that one).

Your grandparents said the same thing about TVs. Its a constantly evolving/adjusting distraction that no generation since the moving pictures were invented has avoided. Atleast cell phones can provide a great deal of asset as well.

Yes, it can be a problem... like any vice. A well placed solar flare will just change the vice.

For me.. props to the Cardinals coach for at least acknowledging his audience and making adjustments he thinks will benefit everyone.

You have 2000 stories, the DOT has 100,000's of stories, why they more focused on Cell usage then drunk driving now.

All the other vices you also speak about were not a mobile distraction, you chose to play vids, or watch TV by placing yourself in that location, now you're everywhere doing anything and being pulled into that cyber world., much like gambling some people cannot pull themselves out of doing it even when they know they shouldn't.

To me this is another we have our priority's messed up again situation.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Comparing a cell phone to a video game isnt the point but how people viewed them. People make the same choices now they did 35 years ago... and vices are vices. Gambling, alcohol, cell phones, whatever.

Except this vice, while distracting in some ways is connecting us to whatever information we need, can use, and its opportunities are just being scratched. Its not a toy, even if it can be.

Your measure of priorities isnt the same as another. You see being mobile as a condition, when in essence its an advantage.

The world changes (which is the point... your grandparents had the same fears about tvs, games, music, etc.

Anyways.. i get you. Raising kids in this world is a constant challenge with phones. Alot of power given to those who havent learned restraint or accountability. But.. its also prwtty cool

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2ckz61zd said:
Comparing a cell phone to a video game isnt the point but how people viewed them. People make the same choices now they did 35 years ago... and vices are vices. Gambling, alcohol, cell phones, whatever.

Except this vice, while distracting in some ways is connecting us to whatever information we need, can use, and its opportunities are just being scratched. Its not a toy, even if it can be.

Your measure of priorities isnt the same as another. You see being mobile as a condition, when in essence its an advantage.

The world changes (which is the point... your grandparents had the same fears about tvs, games, music, etc.

Anyways.. i get you. Raising kids in this world is a constant challenge with phones. Alot of power given to those who havent learned restraint or accountability. But.. its also prwtty cool

It's not the kids I worry about it's the adults that have no control. But that's as I said the parents of two generations allowing the kids to be watched by Video games and Cell Phones instead of interaction and doing things with them. That was their babysitter, Their social life, their escape and now used for their education as well as you said for information and resources.

Grandparents said TV granted, but life wasn't as convenient yet then, the more convenient and ease the more disciplined we need to be I think.

knownone

Reaction score
As someone who's hired a bunch recent college grads over the years, I've noticed a trend that most of them have very poor interpersonal skills and it seems to translate in someways to cellphone usage in the office. It's gotten to the point where we have a strict no cellphone policy during office hours, and by that, I mean you can't even have your cellphone on your person with very few exceptions. We even have cellphone free lunches twice a week.

The thing is, I need my employees and my coworkers to build relationships outside of social media; I need them to communicate with each other without the convenience of looking things up to facilitate an understanding and the level of trust that comes from TALKING to your peers and knowing that no one knows everything, and everyone can learn something from somebody else. That way they'll ask for help instead of trying to google everything.

The internet does not make people smarter. Information is not knowledge it's access to knowledge, and the convenience of having it everywhere you go can hamper your ability to understand concepts because it acts as a buffer memory between your working memory and long-term memory. You need to work through these things and hold them in your mind in order for them to make connections in your brain in such a way that you can apply it abstractly to other situations.

Kids should have limited access to cellphones with the internet. Teams and organizations should not be giving cellphone breaks. I honestly believe they are detrimental too many aspects of our society and we should not be trying to enable this behavior by rewarding or encouraging its use in a job or learning environment.