Cardinals new coach to allow "cell phone breaks"

chris98251

Reaction score
knownone":jxe8cdab said:
As someone who's hired a bunch recent college grads over the years, I've noticed a trend that most of them have very poor interpersonal skills and it seems to translate in someways to cellphone usage in the office. It's gotten to the point where we have a strict no cellphone policy during office hours, and by that, I mean you can't even have your cellphone on your person with very few exceptions. We even have cellphone free lunches twice a week.

The thing is, I need my employees and my coworkers to build relationships outside of social media; I need them to communicate with each other without the convenience of looking things up to facilitate an understanding and the level of trust that comes from TALKING to your peers and knowing that no one knows everything, and everyone can learn something from somebody else. That way they'll ask for help instead of trying to google everything.

The internet does not make people smarter. Information is not knowledge it's access to knowledge, and the convenience of having it everywhere you go can hamper your ability to understand concepts because it acts as a buffer memory between your working memory and long-term memory. You need to work through these things and hold them in your mind in order for them to make connections in your brain in such a way that you can apply it abstractly to other situations.

Kids should have limited access to cellphones with the internet. Teams and organizations should not be giving cellphone breaks. I honestly believe they are detrimental too many aspects of our society and we should not be trying to enable this behavior by rewarding or encouraging its use in a job or learning environment.

I agree with this 100 percent, if you don't have keep something filed away and choose to absorb it, and I think this is a subconscious thing as far as information. When you read and have to physically research something you are filing it away in your brain in memory. When you adapt the mentality all I have to do is google you are not filing it away, you are depending on a device to bring it up.

Socially we have been getting slowly broken over the years, the closure of areas of Teenage intermingling, lets say beaches, cruising areas parties etc that past generations used to gather and learn to associate with each other outside of a school where they learned communication, and behavior in a group etc has hurt them as they become adults. They become more reclusive and withdrawn from those that did not have the privilege of a Cell phone all the time.

In fact Schools are starting and have been using computers and Cells now in leu of books due to costs in many districts which I think hampers peoples ability to research and find information as well. Ask someone to find a place in the yellow pages or a encyclopedia, or a manual of some type and they have issues. Table of contents, Whats that?

mrt144

Reaction score
It's one thing to look back and say "Hey, we did a lot of cool things without having this tool in our hands 24/7" but it's another to have a solid plan to navigate the status quo where much of society from geriatric to toddler have a borderline crippling addiction to that tool.

At the very highest level, is it a football coach's job to stem the societal bleeding of attention or manage it?

As much as I enjoy stories of yore, the idea that we can put the ink back in the bottle with complete denial of usage seems far fetched. You have a cohort that can't imagine life without this thing because they never had much of a shot of having many formative experiences outside of this thing. We can foist the agency on the individual but with so many systemic societal things, it's not solely an individual's problem if over half the nation is exhibiting the same damn perplexing thrall of their tech usage

Like, the time to really reach people about this isn't when they're getting their first or second job of their life, it's much earlier and there is the full weight of economic actors fighting against not being plugged in 24/7.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":1utze14b said:
knownone":1utze14b said:
In fact Schools are starting and have been using computers and Cells now in leu of books due to costs in many districts which I think hampers peoples ability to research and find information as well. Ask someone to find a place in the yellow pages or a encyclopedia, or a manual of some type and they have issues. Table of contents, Whats that?

Well, it's not a great solution to a self inflicted problem of an individualist consumerist society.

Here we all are lamenting the station technology has occupied, subverting valuable methods to gain knowledge and wisdom and yet, when the bill comes due to do it 'right', almost everyone balks that those are the costs to doing it 'right'. Especially when there are tools available that can seemingly replace those other tools and the costs are paid by the individual themselves...

I could go over this all day 7 days a week but suffice to say - this is the rotten fruit of blithe individualist consumerism. We are convinced we are starving and yet dutifully stuff our maws with sweets that only further increase the sense of starvation and isolation. And there is no going back because so much is vested in making sure we stay on this rail towards hell.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
As a person who works with scores of teenaged and college aged players, im overwhelmed by their personalities, sense of accountability, ambition, affability, sociability, and confidence.

I see young nen and women of tremendous ethic, creativity and individuality. They arent rule followers but path setters.

Maybe its just who you work with.

Largent80

Reaction score
PERFECT. It's already comical that people are running into poles with their stupid phones in their faces and now NFL players will be looking at them.

Christ on a friggin Bike......We've reached the bottom.

mrt144

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3qw7p8j5 said:
As a person who works with scores of teenaged and college aged players, im overwhelmed by their personalities, sense of accountability, ambition, affability, sociability, and confidence.

I see young nen and women of tremendous ethic, creativity and individuality. They arent rule followers but path setters.

Surely the guy goofing around on his phone when he should be fork-lifting palettes onto a truck is cut from the same cloth as someone designing a potable water stopgap for people in Flint at the age of 20. Clearly!

mrt144

Reaction score
Largent80":3j6i1sbc said:
PERFECT. It's already comical that people are running into poles with their stupid phones in their faces and now NFL players will be looking at them.

If we've reached bottom, why are all you olds still hanging on? Spite?

Largent80

Reaction score
mrt144":1dtpeau5 said:
Largent80":1dtpeau5 said:

Check your phone for the answer Einstein.

knownone

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3p642pn9 said:

The internet has done a great job of teaching young adults how they are expected to act which makes it a lot harder to identify those who are genuine from those who are great at looking genuine. I didn't mean to imply that every kid suffers from these issues. Some show all of those attributes and turn out to be great employees. Others show all the desired attributes early on, but struggle with basic communication because they are seemingly too ambitious and over confident to admit they don't know something. These are the people who've never built up the relationship and respect for their peers to realize that maybe they can learn something from these perceived non-trailblazers.

Here's the kicker, some of my best employees showed terrible confidence and didn't have the best communication skills early on. Plug them into a problem-solving situation and they are among the first people to ask questions, and typically the fastest at finding solutions. I've learned in the last 10 years that appearances mean little. Anyone can say all the right things and act the right way, but that doesn't always translate on the job.

Having the internet with you at all times can lend itself to devaluing the knowledge and experiences of those around you. Which devalues the sense of community in the office or family environment. It's very difficult to build lasting relationships with young adults these days because they've become fixated on a fantasy world in their hands rather than the people and things going on around them.

Cellphones and social media cater to our selfish desires. To be successful professionally requires a certain level of selflessness and trust in the relationships you've built. If you spend most of your free time at work on your phone or social media, you are missing out on those opportunities to build these relationships and learn from the experience of your peers.

Now, sports is the inverse of most businesses in this respect. You are relying more on physical ability and work ethic, and less on innate leadership and interpersonal skills on the field. You need on field chemistry, but chemistry off the field is of less importance. It's also easier to look impressive and get away with being selfish. You can be a nut ball like Antonio Brown and still be successful in sports. Try that stuff in my line of work and you'll quickly find yourself out of a job wondering why no one will hire you.

mrt144

Reaction score
Largent80":3atsytu6 said:
mrt144":3atsytu6 said:
Largent80":3atsytu6 said:

Check your phone for the answer Einstein.

I find asking an old person a question satisfies my curiosities much better, at least when the old person in question remembers what they're so riled up about.

mrt144

Reaction score
knownone":2pcvy127 said:
Uncle Si":2pcvy127 said:

The internet has done a great job of teaching young adults how they are expected to act which makes it a lot harder to identify those who are genuine from those who are great at looking genuine. I didn't mean to imply that every kid suffers from these issues. Some show all of those attributes and turn out to be great employees. Others show all the desired attributes early on, but struggle with basic communication because they are seemingly too ambitious and over confident to admit they don't know something. These are the people who've never built up the relationship and respect for their peers to realize that maybe they can learn something from these perceived non-trailblazers.

Here's the kicker, some of my best employees showed terrible confidence and didn't have the best communication skills early on. Plug them into a problem-solving situation and they are among the first people to ask questions, and typically the fastest at finding solutions. I've learned in the last 10 years that appearances mean little. Anyone can say all the right things and act the right way, but that doesn't always translate on the job.

Having the internet with you at all times can lend itself to devaluing the knowledge and experiences of those around you. Which devalues the sense of community in the office or family environment. It's very difficult to build lasting relationships with young adults these days because they've become fixated on a fantasy world in their hands rather than the people and things going on around them.

Cellphones and social media cater to our selfish desires. To be successful professionally requires a certain level of selflessness and trust in the relationships you've built. If you spend most of your free time at work on your phone or social media, you are missing out on those opportunities to build these relationships and learn from the experience of your peers.

Now, sports is the inverse of most businesses in this respect. You are relying more on physical ability and work ethic, and less on innate leadership and interpersonal skills on the field. You need on field chemistry, but chemistry off the field is of less importance. It's also easier to look impressive and get away with being selfish. You can be a nut ball like Antonio Brown and still be successful in sports. Try that stuff in my line of work and you'll quickly find yourself out of a job wondering why no one will hire you.

I am feeling this right now at 35 - I have made a few choices in the course of my life which have amplified what little I have to be more than enough for me and my wife. With those choices have come a lot of turmoil where I have lost connections with more people than I'd like while I'm simultaneously not filling the void in other ways that perhaps those younger than I do consistently.

I enjoy a good amount of online socialization but there's maybe only 5 people over 2 decades where I've really 'connected' with someone cognitively and emotionally over a hobby, interest, art, etc etc. It is just so much harder having the kind of rapid fire 1 on 1 or small groups conversations I really enjoy online. For the most part the choices I've made and the tools I've had, have made for a precarious situation where I am not for want of social interaction if I choose, I just can't get the exact social interaction I enjoy most.

Yet, when I go to a weeklong conference or seminar related to work, I am clicking with so many people from all over the world on very fundamental things that I kick myself for not forcing myself out more to socialize. In a larger meta sense, I feel that the impact on my life specifically has been that I've become overly choosy in who I associate with because there is a prospect, however dim in reality, that I don't have to deal with the lumps and imperfections along the way. I have some sort of delusion that the possibility of perfect fits can be met and that's changed my rubric drastically in what is worth undertaking. I really weep for the folks younger than me who think the only way to date is through online arrangement because I think it's very likely they wind up in a similar spot as myself for platonic friendships - overqualifying prospects out of contention.

Here's the odd thing though - my job as an IT admin and helpdesk operator is all about being selfless and getting the job done for the benefit of another person's work. I am almost at my most effusive when I am helping my coworkers out with their issues de jour because I really hold onto the notion that I am a servant and steward for other people in my job role. And curiously, my work role has informed my non work roles far more than vice versa. In one of my primary gaming hobbies I have overtaken an commissioner role and taken to organizing our gaming seasons - I am a steward and servant to 31 other people. I have also taken to arranging weekly tournies on the site - I am a steward and servant to at least 100 other people. I have taken up various civic minded things on a lark like registering homeless people to vote - I am a steward and servant to the people who haven't made it because self inflicted and circumstantial setbacks.

I like to think that this is what the path to maturity is - seeing yourself as something bigger than yourself and doing what you can where you can to improve the lot of others - but am circumspect of my own vanity there. Other people can and do depend on you and vice versa and those relationships aren't just nominal creations to facilitate profit although they in fact do that as well.

As a larger point though, my fear is already realized personally - I am losing out on meaningful social connections I could have because not only am I operating in a mode of finding perfect fits, a sizable number of other people my age and younger are ALSO doing the same damn thing, probably more successfully than I am, but at the exclusion of myself.

It's not all bad but it takes more conscious thought to navigate than I think many of us realize, especially as a cohort that has mostly ever known the status quo and there's no frame of reference for existence without these things. And more than anything, I think it's the folks who aren't fully conscious of the dynamics and the tradeoffs that drive some of us wild. I said it before, it drives me wild situationally but that's also some aspect of self loathing at play methinks.

FWIW, I think Antonio Brown would be fine if his father had a business he could get hitched onto. Seen it too many times not to be that cynical.

HawkFan72

Reaction score
You gotta give the players some time to go online and complain about how their contracts aren't paying enough. That's just common sense.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
knownone":2wx17ilt said:
Uncle Si":2wx17ilt said:

Thats your line of work, not mine.

Your experiences with young adults are far different, and cynical, than mine.

The internet hasnt taught the young men and women i work with how to interact. Its enhanced it. Kids i see every day are outgoing. They are collaborative. They are both self reliant and quite capable and aware of team chemistry. They are problem solvers and ambitious on their own. You have attributed that as a negative. Im sitting in a fully functioning office setting of a fortune 500 tech company right now while dozens of millennials balance multiple projects working with team members from around the globe to service a volatile client population. They are pretty good at it. More so, they can relate their work to tech illiterate clients with sensibility and directness while avoiding condescension. These people are high functioning young professionals. Theyre on their phones all the time too.

It just seems like youre mirroring disassociative sterotypes youve built in and dismissing someone elses experiences. maybe youre interviewing the wrong people. We should talk off the forums sometime in more detail. Really interested in your perspective

Either way, back to the OP, any decent instructor will cut lecturing into shorter increments to reset the audiences focus. This wouldn't be news of the coach just sqid he gives 5 minute breaks every 30 minutes. Thats all thats really being done here.

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2m0dx0jv said:
knownone":2m0dx0jv said:
Uncle Si":2m0dx0jv said:

The internet hasnt taught the young men and women i work with how to interact. Its enhanced it. Kids i see every day are outgoing. They are collaborative. They are both self reliant and quite capable and aware of team chemistry. They are problem solvers and ambitious on their own. You have attributed that as a negative. Im sitting in a fully functioning office setting of a fortune 500 tech company right now while dozens of millennials balance multiple projects working with team members from around the globe to service a volatile client population. They are pretty good at it. More so, they can relate their work to tech illiterate clients with sensibility and directness while avoiding condescension. These people are high functioning young professionals. Theyre on their phones all the time too.

It just seems like youre mirroring disassociative sterotypes youve built in and dismissing someone elses experiences. maybe youre interviewing the wrong people. We should talk off the forums sometime in more detail. Really interested in your perspective

Either way, back to the OP, any decent instructor will cut lecturing into shorter increments to reset the audiences focus. This wouldn't be news of the coach just sqid he gives 5 minute breaks every 30 minutes. Thats all thats really being done here.

All because we have not taught the last two or three generations to focus, play vid games, don't need to read we have audio books and the internet to surmise a book, little oversight of day to day stuff, Latch Key kids were the first bunch of these as divorce rates went up and then the two income households were needed. In the real world you don't get a break every thirty minutes either. Feed them some Monster and some Adderall and they are good to go these days.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":ws2yawg6 said:
Uncle Si":ws2yawg6 said:
knownone":ws2yawg6 said:
Uncle Si":ws2yawg6 said:

All because we have not taught the last two or three generations to focus, play vid games, don't need to read we have audio books and the internet to surmise a book, little oversight of day to day stuff, Latch Key kids were the first bunch of these as divorce rates went up and then the two income households were needed. In the real world you don't get a break every thirty minutes either. Feed them some Monster and some Adderall and they are good to go these days.

I feel like we're talking past one another and speaking about two very different types of people here.

Uncle Si, myself and a few others see that there are folks who are quite capable and adept with functioning with the tools available and available to them since birth.

Folks such as yourself and Knowone seem to be speaking about the swath of folks that don't have any sense of...propriety or inhibition or awareness of how enthralled they are with various web devices. And no doubt that encompasses a lot of people.

Suffice to say that there are sinkers and swimmers with the tools at hand. Not everyone sinks but the ones who do are tiresome. The ones who are swimming though, you don't even notice because they're doing exactly what you'd hope for just perhaps not in the way you'd expect or respect.

mrt144

Reaction score
I keep coming back to that Antonio Brown jab and thinking

"Yeah, Antonio Brown wouldn't swim in a lotta places but aren't kinda glad he has a space he CAN operate in with his talents and ability and not be a societal burden? Aren't you glad there are professions outside of 'normalcy' that can gather the wild eyed lunatics together and let them put on a spectacle for the rest of us? What exactly is there to gain in pointing out the abnormalcy of AB or to an extent Marshawn Lynch, and chiding them for finding a pathway to not just survive but thrive in their abnormalcy?"

I mean, I'm sitting here thinking, I'm glad that AB isn't at my office because he has more lucrative things to do in spite of himself. I don't resent non conformists working a racket that can deal with their personality. I'm glad there is the honeypot of the entertainment industry to scoop these goofs up and cordon them off from me.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
chris98251":3364fm8j said:
Uncle Si":3364fm8j said:
knownone":3364fm8j said:
Uncle Si":3364fm8j said:

All because?

With everything, time passes and better ways are created. You think people arent taught to focus when in reality they are being taught how to maximize their focus. The people i work with are extremely intelligent and focused and ambitious. We are still smart enough to break up learning environments to get the most of the people involved.

Real world is full of breaks, flexible tasks, independent time management, confidence in the person as well as the process. Its pretty refreshing

chris98251

Reaction score
Uncle Si":x8zzjckf said:
chris98251":x8zzjckf said:
Uncle Si":x8zzjckf said:
knownone":x8zzjckf said:

All because?

With everything, time passes and better ways are created. You think people arent taught to focus when in reality they are being taught how to maximize their focus. The people i work with are extremely intelligent and focused and ambitious. We are still smart enough to break up learning environments to get the most of the people involved.

Real world is full of breaks, flexible tasks, independent time management, confidence in the person as well as the process. Its pretty refreshing

Well you must be in Xaviers school for the gifted, I find most people are awkward when in a face to face environment get offended easily and have issues when confronted and held accountable, spend a lot of time worried about their social media, when told to do something they are not trained on have issues researching it if it can't be found easily on a search engine and need to actually go to paper resources, they don't know how to use a Index, table of contents or appendix. Looking for an address without a GPS device forget it or if it is wrong. In fact most get frustrated really easy when in a confront situation about anything and either get angry or break down when held accountable for something gone wrong and have issues with abstract ideas.

Granted I focus on problems and not people in the work environment, and that puts some people off, not a lot of chit chat, but even is arenas not work related you go places and so many can't even listen to a order for food without screwing it up or directions on how you want something, they simply don't engage well in conversations, very few read back something to confirm, or get offended when you question something and they have to rephrase.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Almost every issue you just named isnt some new phenomenon.

Like people in the 70s or 80s werent distracted? Annoyed? Dismissive? Lazy?

Like Mrt144 said... there are sinkers and swimmers. Always have been.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":2qlpkgae said:
Uncle Si":2qlpkgae said:
chris98251":2qlpkgae said:
Uncle Si":2qlpkgae said:

All because?

Well you must be in Xaviers school for the gifted, I find most people are awkward when in a face to face environment get offended easily and have issues when confronted and held accountable, spend a lot of time worried about their social media, when told to do something they are not trained on have issues researching it if it can't be found easily on a search engine and need to actually go to paper resources, they don't know how to use a Index, table of contents or appendix. Looking for an address without a GPS device forget it or if it is wrong. In fact most get frustrated really easy when in a confront situation about anything and either get angry or break down when held accountable for something gone wrong and have issues with abstract ideas.

Granted I focus on problems and not people in the work environment, and that puts some people off, not a lot of chit chat, but even is arenas not work related you go places and so many can't even listen to a order for food without screwing it up or directions on how you want something, they simply don't engage well in conversations, very few read back something to confirm, or get offended when you question something and they have to rephrase.

So we are on an old timey customer service rant now.