Candidates to be extended this offseason

AgentDib

Reaction score
Here are the candidates for contract extensions, their cap hit this year, and their age next season. Would you extend any of them?

OT Stone Forsythe: $0.9m age 27
WR D'Wayne Eskridge: $1.5m age 28
LB Jon Rhattigan: $3.0m age 26
DE Jarran Reed $4.5m age 32
CB Michael Jackson $3.1m age 28
CB Tre Brown $1.0m age 27
S Julian Love $6.0m age 27

I'd consider extensions for Forsythe and Brown this summer assuming we could get decent contracts.

Forsythe is a plus backup at a cheap rate. We could use tackle depth and Forsythe provides versatility with 213 LT snaps and 283 RT snaps last year. He was badly abused in the Steelers game but asking him to block Watt and Golden largely on his own was an unrealistic ask.

Brown wasn't good in 2022 coming off major knee surgery but he was solid the first half of last season. He did miss weeks 4 and 5 with a concussion, and then had a few rough games at the end. However, he was playing through a heel injury and the entire defense was bad. One drawback is his lack of participation on special teams or in the slot, but he did play at both outside corner positions.

sutz

Reaction score
Now? Definitely not. The team is pretty much set in pre-draft mode. Many (all? ) of those players will be fighting for roster spots come training camp. Set aside that the new coaching regime have been working with JS and picking over current players and making these kinds of decisions. They've had some time to talk to players and review film.

It seems to me that most of the guys on your list are in the "well, let's give them a shot and see how it works out" category where the coaches decided not to outright cut now. Bring in 8-10 rookies and a crop of UDFAs and see who is the best 53 guys come Labor Day. Last time I recall hearing we had quite a few slots on the off-season 90 man roster.

Besides, it's a little late in the game to be massaging the salary cap to free up FA money.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Brown would probably be the only one but if he has a good year we might get priced out.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
JS has to do something pretty darn soon.

According to OTC.com, we have a measly $2.37M left in cap space after all of our recent additions have been accounted for cap-wise... but, we're currently short $1.0M to sign all of our draft picks assuming we stay put... and there's absolutely no cap space for the PS and Injured Reserve players.

Something has to give.

xray

Reaction score
Balancing that checkbook can be a bitch at times .

sutz

Reaction score
Right now, it's not a major concern. We're under the rule of 51 anyway. Most of the guys on the list probably aren't worth re-structuring. They'd just start cutting people. 🤷‍♂️

toffee

Reaction score
Here are the candidates for contract extensions, their cap hit this year, and their age next season. Would you extend any of them?

OT Stone Forsythe: $0.9m age 27
WR D'Wayne Eskridge: $1.5m age 28
LB Jon Rhattigan: $3.0m age 26
DE Jarran Reed $4.5m age 32
CB Michael Jackson $3.1m age 28
CB Tre Brown $1.0m age 27
S Julian Love $6.0m age 27

I'd consider extensions for Forsythe and Brown this summer assuming we could get decent contracts.

Forsythe is a plus backup at a cheap rate. We could use tackle depth and Forsythe provides versatility with 213 LT snaps and 283 RT snaps last year. He was badly abused in the Steelers game but asking him to block Watt and Golden largely on his own was an unrealistic ask.

Brown wasn't good in 2022 coming off major knee surgery but he was solid the first half of last season. He did miss weeks 4 and 5 with a concussion, and then had a few rough games at the end. However, he was playing through a heel injury and the entire defense was bad. One drawback is his lack of participation on special teams or in the slot, but he did play at both outside corner positions.
Reading this list saddens me, other than Reed that we drafted years ago, just how poorly we drafted in the past few years, and how poorly we developed the guys we drafted. None of them, has much trade value.

We haven't drafted or developed stars other than Metcalf.

Ok I am done venting, going to mix myself a cocktail now

OP
OP
AgentDib

AgentDib

Reaction score
One of the benefits of drafting players is the opportunity to sign extensions for those players going into their final artificially cheap year. Upfront guaranteed dollars are highly coveted and it's a win-win for player and team to work out a decent deal. For example, RW's cap hit in year six was still a very reasonable $14.6m and it wasn't until the second extension where his value started to become questionable.

Reading this list saddens me, other than Reed that we drafted years ago, just how poorly we drafted in the past few years, and how poorly we developed the guys we drafted. None of them, has much trade value.
Hopefully this list looks better as early as next off-season. While not exciting, it leads to better depth if you can get discounts on backups.

Besides, it's a little late in the game to be massaging the salary cap to free up FA money.
In my view any salary cap benefit of extensions is secondary, and if you're being prudent and avoiding heavily backlogged extensions then it could even be fiscally negative in the current year. However, on balance they should be positive because we are spreading the bonus out for cap purposes even though the player is receiving it immediately.

nanomoz

Reaction score
I'd actually look at locking up Tre Brown for a couple more years on a reasonable deal.

If he progresses like he did last year, he will get expensive. He is a tough-nosed dude.