Can we thank Geno?

chrispy

Reaction score
Haters gunna hate....

Geno is quickly becoming a Seahawk great. His play last year was record breaking. His attitude has been genuine and exemplary. His contract was more what's-in-it-for-us, than ...for-me, and therefore, very refreshing. I hope he continues to break the mold. The way he has overcome may lend itself to coaching and, if so, I hope he continues to contribute to the Seahawks for a long time.

Thank You Geno!

SNDavidson

Reaction score
I was also tempted to start a can we thank the Allen Family and Vulcan inc. thread, wow. They used logic. Jody enforced logic, I'm so proud of the organization and I'm just some guy but, there are 20 other teams that don't know what good leadership feels like, soak it in guys and gals.

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
We can thank him. I'm no cap expert, but I also think that the total number for the contract is skewed a bit high with it being incentive laden.

One thing I do know: Last year we were hamstrung by both a lower cap and a 26MM dead cap charge from Mr. Wonderful.

So, there's kind of a 3 prong situation of wonderfullness happening; geno reasonable contract, Mr. Wonderful's dead cap being cleared, and the cap itself rising.

BUT I will still thank Geno, and the newly liberated - able to manage the team the way they see fit without a crybaby in the background calling his PR guy everytime he thought they were committing micro-agressions against him - Pete and John.

They are slaying it. And they should be thanked.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
....and this is better than good leadership, if this past 18 months was an inning of baseball it would be something from the 95 m's where they just kept knocking it out of the park, we're witnessing greatness.

Hollandhawk

Reaction score
I want to believe....

View attachment 58300

Any legit sources other than Geno himself? Any rumors of teams ready to make a huge push for his services ect?
Well… look at what Daniel Jones signed for? Geno is better, so I don’t have a hard time believing other teams would have been willing to sign him for a good chunk of cash.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting he took a "team friendly deal"? Didn't he just take the best offer after his agent found out no other teams were willing to break the bank for him?

Given that his agent wasn't allowed to talk to teams about him until free agency started, which was a week after Smith had already agreed to his contract, I'd say the answer is a clear "no."

He took a team-friendly deal.

AgentDib

Reaction score
I'd say this is being understated if anything and Geno deserves enormous credit. It's a good deal from the FO but they are always trying to get reasonable deals and it's ultimately up to the player if they are going to include team success in their priorities.

There have been a few other team friendly deals going around at non-QB positions this off-season, like Cox and Slay back to the Eagles at a discount trying to extend a championship window.

However, you never see team friendly deals like this at QB other than Brady who was an outlier for everything. QBs always pursue the maximum dollars for some reason. I don't blame them but it's become an obvious detriment to so many teams that I love seeing Geno factoring in on-field success as well.

Attachments

• 1679094065351.png
    1679094065351.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 4

Weadoption

Reaction score
Over the last 8 seasons, Geno has started 22 games. He’s pushing 33.
I think sample size and age are more of a factor for his compensation than “team friendly”, although it’s not as warm and fuzzy of a narrative.

massari

Reaction score
Given that his agent wasn't allowed to talk to teams about him until free agency started, which was a week after Smith had already agreed to his contract, I'd say the answer is a clear "no."

He took a team-friendly deal.
Agents talk to teams well before the legal tampering period. It's why so many players are signed minutes after legal tampering period begins.

Last edited:

morgulon1

Reaction score
Add: Thank You Russell Wilson for forcing your way out, getting us all of those draft picks, cutting our Salary Cap numbers, and removing a declining QB from the equation.

Last summer Geno tweeted "Somebody's job is going to get took!" Well, it was
Russell's job got took! And I think the reason RW came back so early after his finger injury was because Geno was playing so well.

You may ask, how did Russell get back so quick from that finger injury? All he had to do was "Soak it in Cider."
Soaked it in virgin cat piss 🤔

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Whatever, it's all bizzaro world to me now. Thirty million dollars a year and it's a "bargain"? None of this stuff will never compute in my brain. I could live my whole life with one year of that kind of money and never need any other income. I could live thirty lives, sixty lives with one year of that kind of income.

I still remember when Steve Young got the very first ever one-million-dollar-per-year contract (from the USFL) back in the 80s and it was the news of the century and no one could believe it at the time.

The market supports current ticket prices, advertising rates, broadcast-rights prices, and licensed-merchandise prices. As long as all that money's rolling in, I'm glad a piece of it is going to the players everyone wants to see on TV (and so be exposed to the advertising) or in the stadium (and therefore buy tickets), the players who are professionals in the top 0.2% of the top 1% of the top 1% of the world population at what they do, the ones who make the sport happen, the ones who are collectively irreplaceable.

In terms of the on-the-field return expected, and how that translates into expected financial returns because on-the-field success is a major driver of sports-team revenues, yes, Smith's $27M per year is a bargain.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
I want this dude (and new order 'Hawks aswell) to get a ring so bad. He's been through some $#!7 and has bounced back with class. Respect.

If the Seahawks are going to make a real push, they need something to offer the NFL (story wise). Give me Jalen Carter redemption arc, BWagz last ride into the sunset before the HOF and Mr. Smith "Come Up" player of the year (elbows deep in an MVP race) this season. Add in new throwback unis and were printing money.

Get some.

Lagartixa

Reaction score
Agents talk to teams well before they're allowed to. It's why players are signed minutes after free agency begins.

If you have a specific accusation and evidence, make the accusation to the NFL.
Ask the Dolphins if the NFL enforces the anti-tampering rule. There's a reason the first round of the 2023 draft will consist of only 31 picks. The Dolphins are also out a third-round pick, the owner is suspended, and there are restrictions on other key members of Dolphins management.
Those rules exist because under those circumstances, every team has good reasons to avoid tampering. The reason that rule exists is because the owners wanted it.

toffee

Reaction score
I was also tempted to start a can we thank the Allen Family and Vulcan inc. thread, wow. They used logic. Jody enforced logic, I'm so proud of the organization and I'm just some guy but, there are 20 other teams that don't know what good leadership feels like, soak it in guys and gals.
Close your eyes and imagined that Ms Allen fired Pete and John, let Wilson brought in his 'people' to man the HC and GM post; Wilson's GM gave Wilson a quarter billion dollar contract. OK, open your eyes to a Hawks team with no draft capital, no cap, and 24x7 Ciara doing stripper twists.

massari

Reaction score
If you have a specific accusation and evidence, make the accusation to the NFL.
Ask the Dolphins if the NFL enforces the anti-tampering rule. There's a reason the first round of the 2023 draft will consist of only 31 picks. The Dolphins are also out a third-round pick, the owner is suspended, and there are restrictions on other key members of Dolphins management.
Those rules exist because under those circumstances, every team has good reasons to avoid tampering. The reason that rule exists is because the owners wanted it.
Yup, the Dolphins were caught tampering just like some others have been in the past. Even then, they were only caught because of the leagues investigation into Brian Flores.

News starts to break minutes into the legal tampering period that players have signed. You don't think Geno's agent contacts teams he already has on speed dial to get ideas on how interested they are in his client?

toffee

Reaction score
Geno Smith signed with Seattle was as heart warming as Mr. Smith goes to Washington. James Stewart Mr Smith Goes to Washington

OP
OP
BigMeach

BigMeach

Reaction score
Over the last 8 seasons, Geno has started 22 games. He’s pushing 33.
I think sample size and age are more of a factor for his compensation than “team friendly”, although it’s not as warm and fuzzy of a narrative

It's a fair point. But let's make a comparison of another recent QB signing.

And Geno's

One of these is 40m guaranteed w/ 25m a year avg and the other is 80m guaranteed w/ 40m a year avg.

Also, if 20 games isn't a big enough sample size (+1 playoff game) I don't know what is.

Nunya

Reaction score
Agents talk to teams well before the legal tampering period. It's why so many players are signed minutes after legal tampering period begins.
So your argument is that Geno's agent did something illegal and unethical in order to determine something that only you claim is reality (that no other team would give him a better deal)? Make crap up much?