Can we thank Geno?

BigMeach

Reaction score
As the title asks, can we thank Geno?

We've just gone on a free agent tear and it's all possible thanks to Geno taking such a team friendly deal. He could have probably held us up and gotten more money but he took a deal that got him generational wealth but also allowed us the flexibility to go out and sign a bunch of free agents to allow this team to get better.

I know not everyone likes Geno and some think last year was a fluke. But whether you believe in his ability going forward or not, he has allowed us to be in a position to win a lot of games next year.

Thank you Geno!

ivotuk

Reaction score
Geno is da Man! We Love you Geno!! I get chills when I remember the crowd after Geno and Crew beat the Broncos, and the crowd was chanting "Geno! Geno! Geno!"

When Geno said "I Love this City!" He meant it!

One thing Geno knows better than anyone else, when the story is written, nobody's going to remember how much money he made, but they will remember if he won a SuperB Owl.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Add: Thank You Russell Wilson for forcing your way out, getting us all of those draft picks, cutting our Salary Cap numbers, and removing a declining QB from the equation.

Last summer Geno tweeted "Somebody's job is going to get took!" Well, it was
Russell's job got took! And I think the reason RW came back so early after his finger injury was because Geno was playing so well.

You may ask, how did Russell get back so quick from that finger injury? All he had to do was "Soak it in Cider."

OP
OP
BigMeach

BigMeach

Reaction score
Add: Thank You Russell Wilson for forcing your way out, getting us all of those draft picks, cutting our Salary Cap numbers, and removing a declining QB from the equation.

Last summer Geno tweeted "Somebody's job is going to get took!" Well, it was
Russell's job got took! And I think the reason RW came back so early after his finger injury was because Geno was playing so well.

You may ask, how did Russell get back so quick from that finger injury? All he had to do was "Soak it in Cider."
I absolutely agree and have always thought RW decided to come back after that 3rd game Geno played that year. Geno started looking like a viable starter and I think that worried RW due to how much leverage he felt he had (and thus would lose if Geno did play well). This is all speculation of course, but that's how I've felt.

toffee

Reaction score
As the title asks, can we thank Geno?

We've just gone on a free agent tear and it's all possible thanks to Geno taking such a team friendly deal. He could have probably held us up and gotten more money but he took a deal that got him generational wealth but also allowed us the flexibility to go out and sign a bunch of free agents to allow this team to get better.

I know not everyone likes Geno and some think last year was a fluke. But whether you believe in his ability going forward or not, he has allowed us to be in a position to win a lot of games next year.

Thank you Geno!
Amen

toffee

Reaction score
Compare to Wilson, Geno is a more coachable player, and a better team player. Let's just say more players will show up at Geno's birthday party than Wilson's which claim to have half the team even with Ciara inviting.

massari

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting he took a "team friendly deal"? Didn't he just take the best offer after his agent found out no other teams were willing to break the bank for him?

"football is a business. It's always a business first, and I've gotta handle my business" was his quote before signing

Last edited:

FattyKnuckle

Reaction score
Geno is da Man! We Love you Geno!! I get chills when I remember the crowd after Geno and Crew beat the Broncos, and the crowd was chanting "Geno! Geno! Geno!"

When Geno said "I Love this City!" He meant it!

One thing Geno knows better than anyone else, when the story is written, nobody's going to remember how much money he made, but they will remember if he won a SuperB Owl.
I went up there for the Giants game and he had a huge 3rd down conversion scramble late in the game and the crowd erupted into the chant. I think it was the play called back on a penalty on the Mariners but in the moment it was awesome to hear.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Thank you to the front office for such a great deal that not only worked for both sides, but gives them an out if they decide to move on after 1 or 2 seasons.

ZornLargentPatera

Reaction score
Whatever, it's all bizzaro world to me now. Thirty million dollars a year and it's a "bargain"? None of this stuff will never compute in my brain. I could live my whole life with one year of that kind of money and never need any other income. I could live thirty lives, sixty lives with one year of that kind of income.

I still remember when Steve Young got the very first ever one-million-dollar-per-year contract (from the USFL) back in the 80s and it was the news of the century and no one could believe it at the time.

Mick063

Reaction score
Internet has made the vocal minority a thing. But it really doesn't reflect real life.

We can thank the financial acumen of the Seahawk organization's "capologist". He has laid out the quantifiable parameters. It is up to the players and their agents to fit within them. It is good to know a player's market value ahead of time (in other words, knowing how coveted any given player is by other teams). It gives you negotiation leverage. Regardless, Geno got fair market value.

Seattle would have gone with Lock as an alternative. He would have been productive and competent. Not a star, but definitely a competent bus driver.

Last edited:

Mase

Reaction score
-- Remember, how a deal is structured has as much to do with it team/player friendliness as the actual numbers. Agent numbers are what you see publicly, the details are the player and club numbers. Usually a huge difference.

Mase

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I still remember when Steve Young got the very first ever one-million-dollar-per-year contract (from the USFL) back in the 80s and it was the news of the century and no one could believe it at the time.

And I remember when Mickey Mantle signed a contract to make him the highest paid MLB player at $100,000/year.

Times change.

OP
OP
BigMeach

BigMeach

Reaction score
I'm kind of shocked by some of these comments. If you think Geno couldn't have held out for more guarantees and less incentives then I don't know what to tell you. Look around the league at the other contracts being signed. Hell look at what Daniel Jones just signed. Geno's deal is VERY team friendly. There's a reason we're able to go out and sign a mass amount of free agents this year and it's not just the cap changes. When have we ever done this?

Hawk4life

Reaction score
I think Geno's situational awareness is awesome. He knows that this is his opportunity to achieve something amazing and he structured his contract with that in mind. It could happen, and of course as fans we would all love it.

Afterall, we did win a super bowl with a one dimensional 5' 10" QB, why not give it a go with a veteran back up?

With all the FA signings and the draft yet to come it is getting very interesting. We might be alright even if we don't get Wags back.

Last edited: