Calijah Kancey a reach at #20?

bsuhawk

Reaction score
He looks like an absolute beast but at 6' 0 and 280 will it translate to the NFL? He's also #9 on Bruce Feldman's freak list so he'll tear up the combine. Risky but might be worth pick 20.

olyfan63

Reaction score
He looks like an absolute beast but at 6' 0 and 280 will it translate to the NFL? He's also #9 on Bruce Feldman's freak list so he'll tear up the combine. Risky but might be worth pick 20.
Aaron Donald is said to be 6'1" 280. Absolute game-wrecker. Ever heard of Curley Culp? Different era, but similar body type, and also a game-disrupter who helped usher in the 3-4 defense. Culp was an NCAA wrestling champion, but I didn't see anything like that in Kancey's bio.

Anyway, Kancey seems like a big reach at 20, unless Pete and John have the scoop on him that draftniks don't have. Would be a nice pickup at #56.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Yes, I remember Curley Culp. Hall of famer for the Houston Oilers and Kansas City Chiefs back in the seventies.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Kancey is one of those players with a non-standard distribution where the consensus rank (#53) still represents the average value, but the values themselves are either a lot lower or much higher. PFF just had him at #18 in a recent mock, PFN had him at #19, and CBS at #23. At the same time, there are a lot of recent mocks with him in the third or fourth rounds.

While the average equals a mid-second round pick, very few people are predicting that's where he's actually going to go. As a result, if you're basing your opinion on mocks then you shouldn't be surprised if he goes at #20 or at #97 because both are being predicted.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Someone will have to have him. Probably in the teens or twenties. He's really, really good. His chances for success are probably better in a traditional 4-man front, but I've read he is long for his height.

A-Dog

Reaction score
I don't think it's a great idea to compare him to probably the best 3-tech of all time in terms of what we can expect - I think a rotational (not necessarily 1st choice on mixed downs) 3-tech and 1st choice on passing downs is probably more reasonable. Do we have any confirmed measureables for him? Donald has decently long arms (32 5/8") for his height and incredible strength for his size (35 reps) along with his athleticism (4.68 40-yd dash is elite for a DT). Any idea on how Kancey will measure/test? I also wonder how he would fit into Seattle's scheme if the stick with more 3-4/Bear fronts - Poona hasn't done great in that front.

BASF

Reaction score
I don't think it's a great idea to compare him to probably the best 3-tech of all time in terms of what we can expect - I think a rotational (not necessarily 1st choice on mixed downs) 3-tech and 1st choice on passing downs is probably more reasonable. Do we have any confirmed measureables for him? Donald has decently long arms (32 5/8") for his height and incredible strength for his size (35 reps) along with his athleticism (4.68 40-yd dash is elite for a DT). Any idea on how Kancey will measure/test? I also wonder how he would fit into Seattle's scheme if the stick with more 3-4/Bear fronts - Poona hasn't done great in that front.
He would be 4i/5tech for us. He is a disruptor and we absolutely need two of them from this draft.

knownone

Reaction score
Kancey is listed at 280 pounds, but he doesn't look anywhere close to that weight from what I've seen. He'll need to play alongside a dominant NT to be successful in our scheme.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
NFL Draft Buzz has his 40 time at 4.69, vertical at 31.5, and bench press at 425. The thing is, it only takes one team that thinks he's Aaron Donald 2.0 for him to land in the first round. I would be fine with the Hawks taking him at 20. In fact, in my perfect first round the Hawks take Jalen Carter at 5 and Kancy at 20. Not likely but I can hope.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
I don't know what his squat is... but its a lot. The power he has in his legs for his size is ridiculous. His first move is powerful and even when he gets held up he can push through violently guys much bigger than him.

I can't say I knew too much about him, but after reviewing some highlights I see why you're impressed. This guy is absurdly quick and powerful and he stays low. He's the type of guy who would be formidable against QBs who can run.

Can you imagine plopping him and Jalen Carter into our interior? Holy crap.

While his average seems to be mid/late 2nd... I do see someone picking him up sooner.

SchadenfreudeHawk

Reaction score
The newest CBS mock has Kancey going at pick 10 to the Eagles. If Kancey does as well at the combine as everyone imagines, I highly doubt that he will be there at #20. I think that the perception of him as a late first/second-round pick is changing.

morgulon1

Reaction score
I don't know what his squat is... but its a lot. The power he has in his legs for his size is ridiculous. His first move is powerful and even when he gets held up he can push through violently guys much bigger than him.

I can't say I knew too much about him, but after reviewing some highlights I see why you're impressed. This guy is absurdly quick and powerful and he stays low. He's the type of guy who would be formidable against QBs who can run.

Can you imagine plopping him and Jalen Carter into our interior? Holy crap.

While his average seems to be mid/late 2nd... I do see someone picking him up sooner.
As Bill cowher would say :

" heeth a spethal player"

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
The newest CBS mock has Kancey going at pick 10 to the Eagles. If Kancey does as well at the combine as everyone imagines, I highly doubt that he will be there at #20. I think that the perception of him as a late first/second-round pick is changing.
That wouldn't surprise me, especially if Kancey tests well at the combine. A 4.69 40 time for a 280 pound DT is silly. If I remember correctly, Aaron Donald ran a 4.68.

OP
OP
B

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Another thing that might push Kancey into the first round is the apparent poor quality of this draft. I watched a YouTube video the other day where Todd McShay was talking about some NFL front-office guy complaining about the number of players in the 1st round of his mock with a 2nd/3rd round grade. McShay said he agreed with him, but it's tough putting together a mock draft when you have only 14 players with a first-round grade. If a team doesn't like the player value at their pick, they might be more likely to take a chance on someone like Kancey.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Man, his tape reminds me so much of Fletcher Cox. I know Cancey is a lot smaller, but damn. He disengages so well. As well as anyone that's come out in the last few years.