Bruce Irvin

jake206

Reaction score
Game was an utter mess, but there were a few bright spots. Bruce Irvin was one of them: 9 tackles, INT, PD and a sack. No wonder Ken Norton Jr. was so excited talking about his potential. #morethere

ensett

Reaction score
he was flying around like a jumbo version of ET

Tical21

Reaction score
I expected an Irvin thread, but not exactly for the same reasons.

He was reason #1 that we got ran all over tonight. Rather than taking on blocks and setting and caving the edge, he tried to run around blocks. You can do that when rushing the passer, but not against the run. He spent all night getting sucked into the wrong gap while Stacy went right past him.

He did some good things tonight, but continually being sucked inside creating canyons to run through needs to be fixed by the time we play other good running teams.

scakfan

Reaction score
One almost has to rewind tape for each player to get an appreciation for their individual play.

Tical21

Reaction score
scakfan":l4vytgtr said:
One almost has to rewind tape for each player to get an appreciation for their individual play.
Very true. You can group some players in certain situations, but grading a full roster would literally take you all day, or sometimes two. As I find Irvin to be the most intriguing player on out defense this season, I tend to focus on him during most plays, unless I decide I want to watch Brandon Browner maul somebody.

TwilightError

Reaction score
The interception made me think that Irvin is exactly what we need. On offence. A guy with his built and speed who could also catch the ball, playing receiver with Wilson....

A

Anonymous

I saw more than a few instances where Irvin did his job in coverage quite nicely. That pick was heads up and his effort returning it was excellent.

It's clear the Rams tried to isolate him a few times early but abandoned the efforts altogether in the 4th.

largenutz

Reaction score
I was watching him close too and to me, it looked like he was missing alot in the run game, always looked like he was running backwards away from the run play, just a little late to make the play. Of course he did hold his own on int, ff. To me he looks like he just needs more snaps.

LawHawk

Reaction score
He said after the game that ET alerted him to the wheel route, and that's how he got the pick. Credit to him for making the play, but credit to #29 for setting it up. Praise Earl! All things are possible through Him!

But seriously, I agree that he still hasn't put together a superstar kind of game where he's solid against the run and the pass. But I'll put last night firmly into the "great" category rather than "bad" or "mediocre."

Seeker

Reaction score
when he caught clemmons and caused that fumble, I said "I never seen a faster LB."
He is like a safety at lb.

jlwaters1

Reaction score
To be fair, Irvin made several plays in the run game and a few others he got push only for Stacey to cut outside and there was no fill behind him.

bestfightstory

Reaction score
Joey13091":ldxfp9z9 said:
Player of the game.

Not so sure about that. ET gets my vote.

But I was very very happy for him when I saw him make that INT. He did it with grace, too. Quite an athlete.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
I was worried about him as a LB and dropping into coverage. But he looks smooth and comfortable doing it. Not worried anymore!

Sure there's room for improvement in the run game, but I think the dude's a beast, he's going to get better.

Lynch Mob

Reaction score
Can you imagine how pist the forty whiners are seeing Bruce play like that last night. if the Rumors were true during the draft the whiners GM was boasting about how they knew who they were gonna take but we snagged him a round early on everyones projections.

mikeak

Reaction score
Irvin does show how the coaching staff and Schneider not only drafts the right guys but can develop them. Many a possible star has entered the NFL and become nobody in a year largely due to coaching.

Atradees

Reaction score
i wasn't a fan of the Irvin pick. Moving him to LB- he looked really good on the coverage/pick.

Only room to get better.