Brock Huard Made an Interesting Point this Morning

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":w3pw54hm said:
Of course that means he doesn't trust them with anticipation routes, though I think Carroll wants Russell to avoid those kind of throws due to turnover potential. He showed the aptitude for making them in college.

To be a top tier QB in this league you need receivers you can trust with anticipation throws. NFL defenses are simply too good to rely on beating anyone in a foot race or solving the zone. If the personnel and coaching isn't lending itself to making those kinds of throws viable, that's not on Wilson. I also think though that some of the anticipation stuff just hasn't developed as it should due to the offensive line play and an offense that was initially designed around getting harvin the ball in the short game. Going to take time to get it going.

Bamzi58

Reaction score
Has anyone considered that it isn't all Russell's fault. If his receivers would catch more of the balls maybe, just maybe, Russell wouldn't feel the need to try so hard. To play really well, Russell needs to play relaxed, he hasn't been able to do that. Football is a team sport, if more of the team showed up then Russell would be hailed as the next Andrew Luck. However, in my opinion, Russell is a better QB than Luck. Russell is able to keep the Seahawks in winning range, no matter which team he goes up against. If the other players on our team would step up to make some of those plays that in effect caused us to lose those games, then this discussion wouldn't happen.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Spin Doctor":3fpd3vjc said:
I know that I've been very critical of Wilson, but in actuality I think he's a good player. That being said he is currently playing the worst football of his NFL career thus far.

I have to disagree with this for one specific reason - he may be playing the worst he has from the pocket (I wouldn't say his career but lets agree he hasn't been good lately, no one will argue that) but because he doesn't fit the mold of "immobile pocket passer" you have to take into account his running, and what the threat of the run does to a defense. In that way he has had an incredible impact on games ... that is why I think he is so damn good. Even when he struggles in one phase, he can still impact a game in other ways.

Yesterday - in a game he struggled throwing he still accounts for 279 total yards and one TD and was absolutely killing the Giants D with his legs, which opened things up for the RB's ,etc.

He doesn't fit the mold of the traditional NFL QB and I am fine with that, because when he doesn't have "it" in the passing game like he normally does, defenses still need to account for him or he will just beat you another way.

He is a true, new age dual threat QB. And when he puts both of those pieces together (running and passing), and he will, you have a guy that is incredibly hard to game plan for.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
Bamzi58":2onna6gb said:
Has anyone considered that it isn't all Russell's fault. If his receivers would catch more of the balls maybe, just maybe, Russell wouldn't feel the need to try so hard. To play really well, Russell needs to play relaxed, he hasn't been able to do that. Football is a team sport, if more of the team showed up then Russell would be hailed as the next Andrew Luck. However, in my opinion, Russell is a better QB than Luck. Russell is able to keep the Seahawks in winning range, no matter which team he goes up against. If the other players on our team would step up to make some of those plays that in effect caused us to lose those games, then this discussion wouldn't happen.

Our receivers have been awful this year. Doug Baldwin is our #1 receiver and he ranks 45th in DYAR and has a -2% DVOA (40th). And that is our best guy!

To put that in context last year he was 13th in the league in DYAR and 2nd in DVOA. Last year we also had Tate in the top 25 in both categories ... this year nobody is above 40th.

Its not all RW and the OL.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
kearly":16yj3p30 said:
In the Rams game, Wilson was fired up. But in the three games since, he's had the body language of Eeyore. In the past, Wilson has typically remained upbeat even when playing poorly, but recently this has not been the case. The last three weeks it's almost looked like there was a death in the family for him.

I have no idea what is causing the problems, or if it's nothing more than a prolonged slump. But it does appear fairly obvious to be a mental issue. Something hasn't been right in his mind the past three games.

Russell's been in a slump since kearly stopped sharing random thoughts.

Think about it.

Exittium

Reaction score
marymoorhawk":1qkbfur6 said:
Bamzi58":1qkbfur6 said:

Our receivers have been awful this year. Doug Baldwin is our #1 receiver and he ranks 45th in DYAR and has a -2% DVOA (40th). And that is our best guy!

To put that in context last year he was 13th in the league in DYAR and 2nd in DVOA. Last year we also had Tate in the top 25 in both categories ... this year nobody is above 40th.

Its not all RW and the OL.

Its not all on our receivers as people like to say either, I understand our receivers are putting up the aww inspiring fantasy numbers people want, but face it, that will never happen, run 1st team. I think wilson has a lack of trust or confidence in the pocket and gets happy feet too early throwing off his throwing mechanics.

And no offense to whoever said underthrowing the football is a sign of being tired and overthrowing isn't from running.. but when your tank is getting low on energy its easy to do both. And Wilson has been doing just that, both.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
Our receivers ain't bad. I wish people would stop saying that. Playing receiver with Wilson is a tremendous challenge. There are just some areas of the field he won't throw to, and he pulls the ball down a lot. I have no doubt Baldwin could be a 1,000 yard receiver with Manning or Brady. I bet P-Rich and Norwood could probably shine like some other rookies in other systems.

The problem is that these guys are probably timing and route guys, which is normally what you want in a receiver. Here, however, so many of our targets come on either scramble drills or tightly covered one-on-ones. Part of that is a result of some of Russell's limitations. The guys who will excel in that situation are either big targets (Rice) or improvisational playmakers (Tate). Even then, those guys' numbers are going to come in way under what they would be in a different system. Nevertheless, those are the types we're lacking right now.

We just don't got the best mix right now. Doesn't mean these receivers are bad.

marymoorhawk

Reaction score
DavidSeven":3ayjtkmk said:
Our receivers ain't bad. .

I disagree and I think they are easily the worst position group on the team.

Baldwin - good complimentary receiver and a traditional #2/3
Kearse - fringe starter having an awful year
Richardson - unproven rookie
Norwood - even more unproven rookie
Lockette - excellent gunner, journeyman receiver
Walters - journeyman receiver

That is not a good group, no matter how you slice it.

And both DYAR and DVOA attempt to strip away the noise (huge stats!) and level the playing field by looking at each players contribution and proficiency in the game. They aren't perfect but it does give a point of context to compare all receivers on the same basis. For example, Tate has put up huge stats this year in Detroit but his DVOA is good for 28th in the league. Last year he was in our system, got way less targets, put up less big stats but his DVOA was good for 19th.

Last year Baldwin was great by these metrics ... this year in the same run first system Baldwin in the 40's. Pretty much mirrors what we are seeing on Sundays ... he was a lot better last year. Everyone else is really nowhere to be found, because they just aren't very good.

A

Anonymous

If we'd get our damned Tight End back, we'd all be a LOT less frustrated.

Steve2222

Reaction score
I don't think it's that at all. I think he's pressing right now. For the first time in his career he's faced adversity. With his divorce and alleged jealous teammates he's probably still got all that on his mind. On offense, he probably feels like he has to do it all and make every play be a game breaker. With The emergence of Beastmode again, hopefully this will change. Because outside of Marshawn, Wilson is playing with a JV squad on offense.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
kearly":kmt1hbj3 said:
In the Rams game, Wilson was fired up. But in the three games since, he's had the body language of Eeyore. In the past, Wilson has typically remained upbeat even when playing poorly, but recently this has not been the case. The last three weeks it's almost looked like there was a death in the family for him.

I have no idea what is causing the problems, or if it's nothing more than a prolonged slump. But it does appear fairly obvious to be a mental issue. Something hasn't been right in his mind the past three games.
Kearly, you have an overactive imagination. I'll bet the sideline footage will show him just as upbeat as he has always been. Blow the black cloud off your head. [emoji40]

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
DavidSeven":b0byrjz2 said:
I'm more inclined to say this is more of a combination of (A) defenses figuring him out a bit; and (B) lack of a big receiver/TE and/or playmaker. The escalating chatter about his passing has probably led him to press a bit. I also think the entire Harvin debacle probably pushed back his development several steps.

I think he'll get right. In the long run, I'm not worried about it. However, it might not be pretty this year, and I'm preparing myself for that. Unless Moeaki turns into Gronkowski, we just don't have the right ancillary pieces. O-line is fine, but no TE, no big WR, no field-stretching playmaker. I like the rookies, but they're probably still a little raw. We'll see. I still maintain that Richardson is probably the key here. But if he isn't ready quite yet, it's going to be rough and tumble for the rest of the season on offense. RBBC (Lynch, Turbin, Michael) may legitimately need to carry us the rest of the way until we can re-load in the offseason.
Paragraph 2 I can totally agree with and accept. We've watched Wilson work so many miracles that some have come to expect that as the norm. We've started to think that what affects other QBs won't affect him because of that. There are plenty of contributing factors to why our passing game stinks right now, #1 being lack if experience/any real threat at WR and TE, IMO.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Steve2222":3c08oy0y said:
I don't think it's that at all. I think he's pressing right now. For the first time in his career he's faced adversity. With his divorce and alleged jealous teammates he's probably still got all that on his mind. On offense, he probably feels like he has to do it all and make every play be a game breaker. With The emergence of Beastmode again, hopefully this will change. Because outside of Marshawn, Wilson is playing with a JV squad on offense.
Drama queen much?

chris98251

Reaction score
So if he's tired how come he looked bad early and better late, he get a nap on the sidelines?

I think he aiming and not throwing much like a Infielder in baseball, you let it happen naturally and not think about it versus trying to consciously throw it someplace. Or a [Pitcher even, they lose placement when they aim instead of just throwing it at the target and letting their ability work instead of the head.

olyfan63

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":1afug6kz said:
kearly":1afug6kz said:

Kearly, you have an overactive imagination. I'll bet the sideline footage will show him just as upbeat as he has always been. Blow the black cloud off your head. [emoji40]

The shots I have seen of Russell on the sidelines have shown a confused and perplexed body language the last few weeks, especially last game vs. the Giants. Russell's body language and facial expressions were absolutely *screaming* that he had lost confidence in the passing game, in his own ability to make plays in the passing game and deliver the ball on target to receivers. It was "drop back and hope, then run". It stood out because Russell was getting down on himself, which I virtually never see from him.

Both picks were nearly 100% on Russell, for simple throwing accuracy issues. He threw defender side and gave P-Rich essentially no chance on the ball on the first pick. On the second pick, Russell inexplicably threw the ball to the inside shoulder where the defender was, instead of to the outside shoulder.

I really think he has some nagging little injury. I'm sure it could be footwork/mechanics issues, but it doesn't seem to affect his velocity. Something like a wrist or forearm tweak that affects his accuracy. Remember the "throw" against Carolina where he had an open flip to Helfet for a TD, and couldn't get the ball out and down the field?

Sure, all the other stuff is a factor, OL issues, etc. but I say he's either injured (upper body, or some part of lower body that affects throwing motion) or mildly concussed/ill.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I don't know why some of Y'all can't understand that it's probably a culmination of several negatives that are probably at the heart of the problem with RW.
1.> Wilson hasn't had Unger in there to stabilize the O-Line -There's a whole lot more to playing Center than just snapping the ball, and not getting his usual clean snaps, just adds one more mental note that he has to keep in the back of his mind, and you can't expect that it doesn't mess with chemistry.
2.> Who's the blocking TE that he can count on to help take some heat off his ass.
3.> Some in here are laying the blame on Wilson for not recognizing an all out blitz (see # 1.>).
4.> His Receivers have dropped a few VERY CATCHABLE balls, yet it's still Russell's fault and the blame isn't on them?
So..You're getting ready for the ball to be snapped, it's not from your usually sure fire Center, and it feels a little off but your focus has to remain in tact, because now the ball is in your hands, and the split second play is under way, you survey the field for your Receivers, and then B A M !!, down you go.
You have to quickly forget that last play, because there's no time to ponder what the hell just went wrong, and now, you're back in the huddle calling out the next play to your team mates, and hoping that the lambasting you just took from the last play was just a fluke, and your inexperienced O-Linemen will pick up some of the pressure, and you come out with better results, you hand the ball off to your RB, but there's more Defenders in the backfield ,and that play is snuffed out....Shit...another 3 & out.
Rhythm, I'm suppose to make it happen, but, I'm being pummeled and can't get into synch with my Receivers.
Damn you Russell, it's all your fault when things go to shit with the passing game.

MeanBlueGreen

Reaction score
Hawknballs":2rwhaybl said:
I really think it's just a number of things; we all know RW is usually accurate and a pretty good decision maker.

1. RW is forcing throws he normally wouldn't out of frustration
2. Protection hasn't been great; reliable pockets just haven't been there (most of his career)
3. Receivers don't get great separation, meaning RW can't throw with any anticipation
4. Training camp revolved around an offense that featured Harvin; now we have to adjust
5. Penalties were cleaned up against NY, but until yesterday threw off the offense routinely
6. As OP/Huard pointed out, Wilson is having to do much more athletically than a traditional QB
7. TE Injuries have contributed both in terms of pocket protection and in pass catching
8. Play calling hasn't really been impressive or imaginative.

All in all I think it's just a lot of little things adding up; when you look at that list, all those little things add up and equal out to a much bigger issues than just identifying any one thing.

Out of this list, the excessive running/scrambling and lack of reliable TE are the killers here. Lynch has been handling the safety valve passes reliably but that's not the best use of Marshawn...look around the league...TEs are dominating

Seanhawk

Reaction score
kearly":23xu90a5 said:

I would argue that Wilson being fired up in the Rams game was the outlier. I've never seen him that animated before.