Breda Report: You Take It With You

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
n[youtube]2cg1UAPGK1Y[/youtube]

I remember watching the movie Ghost in 1990. It was one of those movies you watch because your girlfriend wants you to watch it, not because it's anywhere close to your idea of what makes sense to you as a modern day male to watch.

Two years before, I created this site we all know as Seahawks.NET. Back then, my aspirations for the site was little more than hoping I could sustain a website that could hold 10 or more fans in the forum.

Within one year we had over 100 Seahawks fans. Coming to my little website? It seemed absurd.

I couldn't understand how my little website mattered to more than me. Within one year I realized it did matter to more than just me.

Never in my wildest imaginations could I have foreseen a communion of community that has transpired from that day I started this site. Never.

Never.

But along the way, magic happened. Amazing human beings showed up. We all had one common theme: Our love for this embattled, broken, joke of a team called the Seattle Seahawks. The entire nation looked at us as some kind of joke. As in, "The Seahawks?? Are they really an NFL team???"

This mindset enamored our community all the more.

This site was born from the passion and belief that one day we would be rewarded for our loyalty.

And then one day, I was shown that it wasn't the game that mattered as much as the human beings that made this place so special. Les appeared.

At first I didn't know what to think of him. He seemed almost too engaged. I figured this was a guy who had no life. He attached himself to our community so quickly I just kind of ignored him at first.

Within a year I realized he wasn't going away. I was impressed with his tenacity. It was around this time that I began to understand that he wasn't just a fly-by-night. He was here for the long haul.

And boy was he ever.

Les entrenched himself from that moment forward as a sort of father, no, grandfather figure for the site. From that moment forward he elected himself Granpa of .NET whether he realized it or not. The deed was done and it was the right deed, indeed.

Let me be clear, open and honest here. There were times Les and I didn't see eye-to-eye. Sometimes I thought he was overbearing. Sometimes I thought he was being too harsh with his role as moderator. Eventually we came to terms and we moved on. What I never understood back then was just how much this community meant to him and how much it may have hurt his heart whenever I threatened any kind of repercussions for his actions, warranted or not.

I never quite understood just how much my little website mattered to others back then.

Les was a rock star. He brought such life and love to everyone he touched. I used to think that my legacy was creating a website that could bring Seahawks fans together.

How short-sighted of me.

My legacy, as it turns out, at least I hope, was building a community that could demonstrate the power of love to each other. When one of our own passes, it becomes obvious, the love that follows. When Les passed suddenly, we were all shocked. The sincere outpouring of love underscores the the connection we all felt. His passing hurt our collective hearts.

I am a big believer in the afterlife. I believe when we die we leave our bodies and laugh. Almost like we remember the contract we had with God all along. I also believe that while you can't bring your cars, homes and other material items with you, you very much can bring the love in your life with you.

In my world, Les brings the love home with him. It's the only thing that matters. Every word, every sentence of sincerity about Les' passing becomes all the more energy that Les can take with him. I think somewhere, somehow, Les can feel our love and our thoughts. Those things you take with you.

In your final moments, I promise, it's not the car, the house, the material object, it's love. Love for family and friends and maybe yes, the Seahawks.

In that regard, Les left the earth a very rich man. It's the one thing he could leave this earth with. Love.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
ahem, man is it hay fever season? Always gets to my eyes. Good words Aros.

sutz

Reaction score
Well stated, Todd. I had the pleasure to meet Les a few times FTF. Great man all around. Loved life, and loved our Seahawks.

May he RIP. It is so gratifying that he got to see our first SB win before he passed. Maybe he felt a sense of completion from that that eased his passing. I hope so. We were blessed that he shared his journey with us for a while.

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Shedding a couple of tears here...

I wish I knew him better, glad for the few conversations we had.

This site is like a second home for me. The more fan sites I see, the more and more I realize how lucky we are to have this place, and for what it has become, and will be. Always for the fans, by the fans. And some of the most intelligent, humble, hilarious, charismatic bunch of people I've ever come across.

I don't know what I would do without this place. It's the only way to get my Seahawks fix, and honestly, the best way. Anyone who says different is just blowing smoke.

Aros, thanks for this private view into a man some of us would never know the way you did.
This post hit home in a way that words don't suffice when I say thanks.

Cheers Les :les: :thirishdrinkers: A sincere thank you, for all that you did.

Spread some Hawk love wherever you are, and Godspeed.

HomerJHawk

Reaction score
Thank you. I'm a short-timer here, but I do sense the community. Still trying to wrap my head around it.

Beautiful words. Bless Les.

Trenchbroom

Reaction score
Great share Todd. This site won't be the same without Les, that's for certain. We miss him greatly!

OldWiseHawk

Reaction score
Nice words. I'm a lurker, but im here to read daily. Les was a one of a kind.

Your Breda report came up on a search many years ago when I was hurting for seahawks news. I would print it and read the reports to our brethren who were deployed with me. That one was your best one. Well written.

Back to my cave, thank you.

kidhawk

Reaction score
There really isn't much needed to add to this, as the OP says it all.

We may have our little quibbles here and there, but as Todd noted, this place, this community is one big family. and Les had this special way of connecting with us and thus connecting each of us through him.

A

Anonymous

Hasselbeck":2kc6nueq said:
Great post.. need more Breda Report's. Vintage .NET there.

Not sure I have had the pleasure.

Does an archived Breda Report exist that can be shared?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Aros,you wrote this post on Hawkstorian(s) level ..Very good..I wish I had found the old .NET..I wondered what the history of this site is and I see the biggest part even though it doesn't want to be.. :les: RIP :les:

Evil Dead

Reaction score
Wow, The Breda Report takes me back.

Great job, Aros.

Just one small question...wasn't .NET created in 1998? (seahawks98) You just made it sound like it was 88, back before any of us (at least most of the general public) knew what the internet even was.

Anyways, i've been a lurker forever (I was stormshadow back in the old days) that comes out of hiding every now and then, but it was clear from the beginning that the sense of community was real.

Hope you can find time to drop a Breda Report again every now and then. Back in 99/00, it blew my mind to find quality Seahawks content and fans online after living in Texas my whole life and being the only Seahawks fan i knew from the time Steve Largent became my favorite player around 83 or so. You guys should really create a link or archive to all the old Breda Reports and Hawkstorian articles and stuff.

I'm sure PithyRadish felt the love from this one. Well done. :les:

Latest posts