Breakdown on the 7 sacks, and more.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
XxXdragonXxX":2ok6sppi said:
I'd also like to see a breakdown of the plays where Russell escaped pressure to make a play.
You mean all the great plays he's made over the last two and a half Seasons when he "Should Have Just Thrown The Ball Away? ;)

Natethegreat

Reaction score
scutterhawk":39n5v1st said:
XxXdragonXxX":39n5v1st said:
I'd also like to see a breakdown of the plays where Russell escaped pressure to make a play.
You mean all the great plays he's made over the last two and a half Seasons when he "Should Have Just Thrown The Ball Away? ;)
Exactly

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Scottemojo":x0mwoxck said:
Jeremy517":x0mwoxck said:
Whenever you have a Houdini-ish quarterback, they're sometimes going to take some sacks in situations where other QBs might throw the ball away, because they're still trying to make their great escape and find someone open. You can't have the rewards without the risks, so you have to decide whether you think the crazy escape plays are worth the sacks.
Perfectly stated.

This, again. I don't think there's really much else more important to consider.

nanomoz

Reaction score
Your post made my day, Scotte.

Do you think the errors you attribute to Russell can be corrected somewhat over the rest of the remainder of the season?

Are they more common lately, and maybe caused by him being a bit shell-shocked? It seems like those sorts of failures occurred less towards the end of last season.

CurryStopstheRuns

Reaction score
Mojambo":1ifxy5mq said:
CurryStopstheRuns":1ifxy5mq said:
The infallible Russell Defense Squad has bee alerted. Please stand by.....

No offense, but this type of post hardly serves to elevate the discourse.

I find this, perhaps inevitable, factionalization around Russell Wilson depressing.

Then you should have just left it alone instead of quoting it. You depress easily.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
HansGruber":23dklc0f said:
Scottemojo":23dklc0f said:
MontanaHawk05":23dklc0f said:
BTW, in an epic endorsement of your analysis skillz, Scotte, Fieldgulls pretty much agrees with you.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... even-sacks
Yeah, but players and coaches say that if we aren't on the field, we don't know nothing, Montana!

I'm disappointed in this response. It clearly serves no purpose other than to mock and berate.

And one thing I've learned as a doctor is that the good ones embrace rather than discourage skepticism. Skepticism offers an opportunity to both learn and teach. The only people who resist this opportunity are those who question their own knowledge and therefore see any challenge as threatening.

I never intended any insult so you're talking it that way is disappointing and really takes away from the good stuff.
It was unneeded snark. My apologies. You are still free to disregard as you see fit.

I am as cynical as anyone can be about what I see I see and what it means. I looked at the play where Britt lets the RDE rush free 20 times before I linked Helfet's hot route to just letting the RDE go at Russell that easy. I could still be wrong about the play, and Britt is so awful that he lets the guy in front of him go so he can block the guy to his left that is already being blocked, but his down block making a lane to throw to Helfet is a better explanation. If that isn't what happened, we need a new RT, because the one we have has zero, nay, less than zero brains.

If it's true that it's impossible for us to know what is actually going on simply by watching, this whole forum is a total waste of time because none of us can actually ever be right. Right?

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
nanomoz":3kp23148 said:
Your post made my day, Scotte.

Do you think the errors you attribute to Russell can be corrected somewhat over the rest of the remainder of the season?

Are they more common lately, and maybe caused by him being a bit shell-shocked? It seems like those sorts of failures occurred less towards the end of last season.
The errors Russ has that lead to sacks are the same errors he has had for his entire career. Russ holds the ball. Good and bad things come from it. He is the coolest sumbish this side of Captain Kirk when it's all going to shit, even if the shit is his fault, which is why he doesn't often panic and chuck it up to covered guys. He struggles with blitzes, but that isn't new either. When you hold the ball longer than the rest of the QBs in the NFL you will struggle with blitzes. You will also give time to your average group of WRs to get open. I think of it as the cost of business in Seattle.

Russ has stopped pressing the last couple of weeks. The only real hard hit he took in that game was the fake to a screen play, he got banged good on that one. He definitely isn't shell shocked. Our receivers simply are not winning one on one jumps, so if he tucks and runs from a lack of faith it is well founded on his part.

I don't recall the end of last season that way. We lost two late in the year, and looked really bad in week 16, a bit rough in week 17, Russ struggled a lot in that windy game vs the Saints, and the game vs the NIners was plenty up and down, began with fumble, couldn't put the game away with multiple chances in the 4th. But the big plays were there, the scrambles to extend plays were there, the things Russ does best even though they sometimes go wrong were there.

I want to add one thing. Russ rips hearts out of teams with his running. It isn't like the cheap 1st downs that Rodgers gets when he runs the occasional 3rd down run right to the sticks. Russ can break a 40 yarder at any time, and the teams we play all know it. Look at the body language of these guys when it happens, they start looking at each other to see who effed up, it embarasses teams. Those yards never count when they tally MVP votes, but to me every one of his rushing yards could be counted as 3 passing yards and it would be an accurate view of how other teams fear what he does with his legs. A bunch of pictures may exonerate his linemen of whiffing on some sacks, but his measure is so much more holistic than most QBs. When he hands the ball off to Lynch on RO but still runs out his play fake, there is almost always a player who ignored Lynch to follow Russell. How many other QBs can say that? He commands attention without the ball. How do you measure that?

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Scottemojo, I applaud you sir, for all Russell's fault, he's the most dangerous QB to game plan for because sometimes you can't gameplan improv. He's not going to be a Manning, Brady, Brees, or Rodgers, he's Russell Wilson. While fans want him to be any of those guys, he's just isn't that guy, he has his own style of football. Sure there's going to be rough games with him, but I love watching the kid play. Could he be better, sure, he still has a lot to learn and I have no doubt that he will rise to the occasion.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Scottemojo":22a1wqfo said:
HansGruber":22a1wqfo said:
Scottemojo":22a1wqfo said:
MontanaHawk05":22a1wqfo said:
BTW, in an epic endorsement of your analysis skillz, Scotte, Fieldgulls pretty much agrees with you.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/football-brea ... even-sacks
Yeah, but players and coaches say that if we aren't on the field, we don't know nothing, Montana!

I'm disappointed in this response. It clearly serves no purpose other than to mock and berate.

And one thing I've learned as a doctor is that the good ones embrace rather than discourage skepticism. Skepticism offers an opportunity to both learn and teach. The only people who resist this opportunity are those who question their own knowledge and therefore see any challenge as threatening.

I never intended any insult so you're talking it that way is disappointing and really takes away from the good stuff.
It was unneeded snark. My apologies. You are still free to disregard as you see fit.

I am as cynical as anyone can be about what I see I see and what it means. I looked at the play where Britt lets the RDE rush free 20 times before I linked Helfet's hot route to just letting the RDE go at Russell that easy. I could still be wrong about the play, and Britt is so awful that he lets the guy in front of him go so he can block the guy to his left that is already being blocked, but his down block making a lane to throw to Helfet is a better explanation. If that isn't what happened, we need a new RT, because the one we have has zero, nay, less than zero brains.

If it's true that it's impossible for us to know what is actually going on simply by watching, this whole forum is a total waste of time because none of us can actually ever be right. Right?
Being right isn't the point. We're here to learn what's going on with the team, to talk about it and try to make educated guesses as best we can. And let's face it: blind squirrels find nuts, monkeys, given enough typewriters and time, write Shakespeare. From time to time we WILL be right.

It's the journey not the destination. Learning new things about football, trying our best to understand the game, keeping up to date on what's going on with the team, all those things make this place NOT a waste of time.

It's when we argue about the definition of jawing...j/k. It's when we actually get angry at others for having a different opinion when in fact, most of us are wrong most of the time that is when we waste our time here.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2xt1ft7j said:
hawksfansinceday1":2xt1ft7j said:
"..........our first TD came on a drive with a lot more quick passes".

I simply don't understand why Bevell/Pete don't incorporate more of this type of approach into our team's offense. That one sack that was obviously on Russ where he clearly had a guy open crossing underneath and didn't throw it to him was just exactly what I'm talking about. That's what a hot routs adjustment usually looks like.

I still worry that Wilson is just not seeing the middle of the field very effectively, because of, yes, his height. His ability to get the ball there isn't a concern, given his textbook-high release point. But perhaps Bevell doesn't send receivers there because Wilson's limited vision makes it a low-percentage area.

Another theory I've been considering - Seattle's offensive line is not the appalling mess that some make it out to be, but perhaps Wilson still needs more. He had an above-average line at Wisconsin. Perhaps some dominantly-established passing lanes and moving-pocket-savvy linemen are needed to really bring the most out of pocket-passer-Wilson. I personally don't see the easy connection people make between outstanding offensive line and Super Bowl dynasty (it hasn't been in evidence since the mid-00's), but Wilson may honestly be a more demanding QB in that aspect.

You gotta be shitt'n me :177692:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":yw1ciix1 said:
This is a great topic and thread, thank you.

So, I think we can all agree that the screen pass was horrific situational football? Bad play design, against worst possible team, and a play that's obviously not taught well. I'm of the opinion Bevell is good for minimum 3-5 of those a game. Vut, let's just say one for arguments sake. What would the reaction be if it was a player doing at minimum one negligent thing a game? What would Pete do ( See Cmike)? Something that leads to a hit on Wilson?

That screen play is Bevell. That's not me scapegoating are acting like a reactionary rube, this is what he is. He will throw out plays that simply aren't high-standard NFL coordinating. At least it's safe to say in this thread without a mouth breather coming in and assuming the criticism is ill informed.

Edit to Montana; No one needs validation via field gulls, that's not some magical credibility. If that's the case, then I'm Mike Mayock with as much stuff of mine they favorite or retweet.
Well, Vut matters to me, is that Wilson pulls the damned thing out in the end, and we handily win this damned game, eh?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
pehawk":wpg4ds61 said:
Well, apparently you must have pictures coupled with criticisms, or else the Bevell brigade will come in saying it's execution. But, throw down and distance out, it's week 11, an offense still shouldn't be working out kinks on plays they stink at by now. They're just an abysmally coached screen team. Again, no pictures, but the Seahawks running a screen looks like lemurs dry humping an invalid.
Yeah, and GOD I wish we'd have won this game. :roll:

scutterhawk

Reaction score
seedhawk":1ntiwnaq said:
Seems to me we all need to chill a bit, and just accept things for what they are. Maybe our line truly sucks, perhaps our Wr's are indeed pedestrian, then again, maybe they just look like they do the way they do because of our Qb. What I do know is, we are 35-13 with Rw as our Qb. That is Brady-esque!
Because of our Quarterback?....Okay..Erase this Year, and focus on 2012, & 2013, do a couple of additions, and several takeaways,
That's what Russell Wilson has to work with, but let's blame RW and let everyone else off the hook.
Does anyone else remember all the drops by our Receivers, and how many times we all got pissed off with our stone handed Receivers (all of them except Bobby Engram that is)

olyfan63

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3exlkgbb said:
I simply don't understand why Bevell/Pete don't incorporate more of this type of approach into our team's offense. That one sack that was obviously on Russ where he clearly had a guy open crossing underneath and didn't throw it to him was just exactly what I'm talking about. That's what a hot routs adjustment usually looks like.
-snip-

Anyone remember THE biggest play* of last year's Super Bowl Run, and what happened on that play?

NFCCG, 4th quarter, 4th down and 3, Seahawks trailing, ball near midfield, Seattle goes for it. Wilson hard-counts the 49ers into jumping offsides. Get this: All 3 Seattle receivers notice SF's offsides, and ALL 3 RECEIVERS INSTANTLY ADJUST THEIR ROUTES TO "GO" ROUTES. Wilson gets enough of a pocket and enough time to launch the ball deep, Baldwin sees that Kearse has the best shot, and lets the ball go through to Kearse, who catches it, TD, Seahawks now lead, Superb Owl Baby!

I'm sure I mangled a technical point or two in my description, but the larger point is this: The Seattle offense had the chemistry and in-sync-ness for everyone to instantly read and silently auto-adjust based on what the SF defense did, and ALL 3 RECEIVERS read it and did the exact right thing at the most crucial moment in the game, and Russell knew exactly what would happen and knew exactly where to go with the ball! Click, click, click, BOOM!!

To me, that was the signature play of the game, maybe the season; Seattle's collective mental sharpness and execution executed the 49ers.

That was actually a Darrell Bevell offense that did that. (Not that I'm defending this year's Bevell here, not my intent). So maybe there is a lot to be said for having receivers and QB that have worked together a couple years. Baldwin + Tate + Kearse + Wilson together two years, counting Kearse's year on the practice squad. The current group, and offense as a whole, just aint there yet. with the quickness of recognition and execution. I'm sure we get steadily closer each week. Maybe by playoff time? (Cue Jim Mora Sr.: "Playoffs??!!")

* I'll acknowledge "The Tip" as a big play, but, *at the time it occurred* "The Bomb" was the then-biggest play.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Scottemojo":39on7ug4 said:
I want to add one thing. Russ rips hearts out of teams with his running. It isn't like the cheap 1st downs that Rodgers gets when he runs the occasional 3rd down run right to the sticks. Russ can break a 40 yarder at any time, and the teams we play all know it. Look at the body language of these guys when it happens, they start looking at each other to see who effed up, it embarasses teams. Those yards never count when they tally MVP votes, but to me every one of his rushing yards could be counted as 3 passing yards and it would be an accurate view of how other teams fear what he does with his legs. A bunch of pictures may exonerate his linemen of whiffing on some sacks, but his measure is so much more holistic than most QBs. When he hands the ball off to Lynch on RO but still runs out his play fake, there is almost always a player who ignored Lynch to follow Russell. How many other QBs can say that? He commands attention without the ball. How do you measure that?

This is such a key point, and so compellingly stated. Just when a defense has accounted for everything, thrown the kitchen sink at Russell to get him to make bad reads, confused him, frustrated him, he pulls a Houdini out of his ass, and all their effort is for naught. The defense has done everything right, and they still lose. It has to be so frustrating and demoralizing for them. It has to rip their heart out, get them pointing fingers at each other. Not only that, now they're all gassed from chasing Russell, and dammit, here comes the little $h!t up to the line again to run the next play.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Scottemojo":2g1oltux said:

Saw that play where Britt did that as well and I don't get it. Maybe he was supposed to take the inside block? Maybe Cable is trying to compensate for what he sees as poor play by the guard or maybe the guard is playing injured? Or maybe Britt just blew it. I don't know. I do like reading your stuff because at least it's something, even if it's not what Carroll has written down on his clipboard (or in his tablet). Maybe it is, though. I just don't think we have any way to really tell.

It'd sure be nice to know if those sacks really were the result of poor blocking, poor decision making by Wilson, stars not being in alignment, whatever. Too bad the coaches won't tell us. Pete does give some clues about certain things, but he also seems to love laughing at Brock Huard when he tries to break down film and makes no attempt to hide his amusement at their reads. That has always been frustrating to me.

olyfan63

Reaction score
To me, Huard's our guy, trustworthy Pac Northwesterner from Puyallup HS through Seahawks pro, sincere, and knowledgeable, if anyone can break down a play and explain it to the masses, it seems Brock's the guy. And Pete laughs at his best efforts. It's gotta be one damn complicated and/or confusing offense for the players to run.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1mi6o9xm said:

Fantastic. Totally agreed. I was at the game this last Sunday, and you could literally see what you're talking about in that Arizona defense. On the drive where Wilson escaped the two pass rushers, and then picked up like 5 yards. Not sure, but I think we scored on that drive. Anyway, during the TV break, Arizona's LBs and DBs were literally down on the field yelling at each other and just looked worn out and confused.

I love watching it. I love knowing that even if Russ made mistakes in that game, he was the difference. He tilted the room and gave Seattle the advantage, which we turned into a win. Even after the first three drives ended with 3 points each, and Russ was just getting killed by pass rushers - the dude just stayed calm and kept taking his calculated shots. Just kept throwing body blows at Arizona and it eventually took its toll. I really think of Russell Wilson as one of those boxers who works the body to tire his opponent and THEN goes in for the kill shot - which is why he always looks so awesome in the 4th quarter.

OP
OP
Scottemojo

Scottemojo

Reaction score
olyfan63":r9kqwsq3 said:
hawksfansinceday1":r9kqwsq3 said:
-snip-

Anyone remember THE biggest play* of last year's Super Bowl Run, and what happened on that play?

NFCCG, 4th quarter, 4th down and 3, Seahawks trailing, ball near midfield, Seattle goes for it. Wilson hard-counts the 49ers into jumping offsides. Get this: All 3 Seattle receivers notice SF's offsides, and ALL 3 RECEIVERS INSTANTLY ADJUST THEIR ROUTES TO "GO" ROUTES. Wilson gets enough of a pocket and enough time to launch the ball deep, Baldwin sees that Kearse has the best shot, and lets the ball go through to Kearse, who catches it, TD, Seahawks now lead, Superb Owl Baby!

I'm sure I mangled a technical point or two in my description, but the larger point is this: The Seattle offense had the chemistry and in-sync-ness for everyone to instantly read and silently auto-adjust based on what the SF defense did, and ALL 3 RECEIVERS read it and did the exact right thing at the most crucial moment in the game, and Russell knew exactly what would happen and knew exactly where to go with the ball! Click, click, click, BOOM!!

To me, that was the signature play of the game, maybe the season; Seattle's collective mental sharpness and execution executed the 49ers.

That was actually a Darrell Bevell offense that did that. (Not that I'm defending this year's Bevell here, not my intent). So maybe there is a lot to be said for having receivers and QB that have worked together a couple years. Baldwin + Tate + Kearse + Wilson together two years, counting Kearse's year on the practice squad. The current group, and offense as a whole, just aint there yet. with the quickness of recognition and execution. I'm sure we get steadily closer each week. Maybe by playoff time? (Cue Jim Mora Sr.: "Playoffs??!!")

* I'll acknowledge "The Tip" as a big play, but, *at the time it occurred* "The Bomb" was the then-biggest play.
IIRC, the auto adjust to routes on that play was if they go off sides it's an all go. And Baldwin and Kearse damn near ended up in the same spot, so auto adjusting isn't all good. In fact, on the sack where Russ had max protect and it was only a two man routes, the two route runners just about ended up in the same part of the field. It looked bad.

I have no doubt that a lot of routes are based on defensive alignment, but a bunch can't be. Rub routes, drag routes, smoke screens, which we run a lot of, where receivers work in sync, yeah, they can audible to those, but those receivers have to run a called play, the timing for others relies on it.

The ones that are? Norwood ran a hook right into the hole of the zone Sunday. Russ didn't throw it until he presented a target, so it's pretty easy to assume it was on the receiver to find his spot, not a timing play. But there are plenty of times a play will feature 3 go routes into a quarters secondary and if those are auto adjusted routes based on what the receivers see, the receivers need glasses.

The play you reference, in the NFCCG, is the essence of Russness. In a game he began with a fumble on a bootleg, he was ice in the moment. There were sacks, goal line and red zone woes, just in general not pretty football vs a very good defense, all sprinkled in, but those moments where he is cool and collected are also part of his effect on the game.