Boye Mafe is a freak

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I’ve heard the Cliff Avril comparisons but this guy is much quicker than was Cliff and was all over the field. That sack on Pickett was a game changer and if Stone can pick up an easy blitz it’s a W
Boye Mafe is the steal of the draft. I watched a few games of him toward the end of his college career, and he had Seahawks written all over him. I was glad he was there at #40. I thought he would be picked before that.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I’ve heard the Cliff Avril comparisons but this guy is much quicker than was Cliff and was all over the field. That sack on Pickett was a game changer and if Stone can pick up an easy blitz it’s a W
FWIW, Boye is an inch taller and is ~10 lb. heavier than Cliff, but with 2" shorter arms (32 5/8" vs. 34 5/8").

Also, Boye's vertical was 38" and his standing broad jump was 125" vs. Cliff's 32.5" vertical and 117" broad. The difference in their 40 times was only 0.02 sec, with Cliff being the faster of the two.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
FWIW, Boye is an inch taller and is ~10 lb. heavier than Cliff, but with 2" shorter arms (32 5/8" vs. 34 5/8").

Also, Boye's vertical was 38" and his standing broad jump was 125" vs. Cliff's 32.5" vertical and 117" broad. The difference in their 40 times was only 0.02 sec, with Cliff being the faster of the two.
To add to this:

Boye Mafe - 1.56s 10 yard split
Cliff Avril - 1.51s 10 yard split

Both of these big fellas possess elite get-off quickness.

CouchLogic

Reaction score
SO much potential. Now for the real question...

Where will he get traded or sign with when his contract is due? Seattle has a tough time hanging onto their d-linemen as long as they should (for whatever reason).

jammerhawk

Reaction score
That was a negative view, he just got here and you have him leaving already? C’mon man, geez Louise..

The team doesn’t have to work around Wilson’s deal any longer and the cap is expending significantly. Let’s see what things look like in 4 years before waving goodbye.

He

CouchLogic

Reaction score
That was a negative view, he just got here and you have him leaving already? C’mon man, geez Louise..

The team doesn’t have to work around Wilson’s deal any longer and the cap is expending significantly. Let’s see what things look like in 4 years before waving goodbye.

He
All in jest my man, all in jest.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
But in truth, with the exception of Charles Cross, all of our 2022 draft picks are signed through 2025 and are not eligible to be extended until after the 2024 season. Let's enjoy what we have and not stress about something three or four years down the road.

Cross, being a 1st round draft pick, is on a team option for his 5th season, so no rush there either.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
That's the spirit, Couch! Why waste time talking about if a guy will be gone several years from now? Waste of energy. It's ok to enjoy good things. But, I'm assuming that was some good sarcasm :)
I had to keep reminding myself that he's a rookie. Sure didn't look like one to me. Dayum.

Last edited:

hoxrox

Reaction score
Cliff seemed to have more bend and agility than Mafe. He also had a knack for strip sacks too. But Mafe seems to have a bit more power. So they aren't that similar, but good to see Mafe do well in his debut.

OP
OP
FrodosFinger

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
SO much potential. Now for the real question...

Where will he get traded or sign with when his contract is due? Seattle has a tough time hanging onto their d-linemen as long as they should (for whatever reason).
Did you buy your orange #3 jersey yet?

morgulon1

Reaction score
Cliff seemed to have more bend and agility than Mafe. He also had a knack for strip sacks too. But Mafe seems to have a bit more power. So they aren't that similar, but good to see Mafe do well in his debut.
But Avril had some NFL experience before coming to Seattle.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
We haven’t yet seen enough of him to really know how he will play as a pro yet. So far he has looked not too bad in limited appearances.

Is he a freak? Too early to say for sure. He for sure seems to have the physical abilities needed to play rush OLB in a 3-4 scheme.

We thought that Taylor might be special as well, and he could still be, but so far as he now is seeing time on the field his output has been underwhelming.

Last edited: