Bijan Robinson overrated?

ivotuk

Reaction score
Was watching Top Billin' the other day, and Bijan had all of these great stats, until he played SEC teams, then they dropped to 2.4 (TCU) - 2.7 (Bama) YPC!

Last edited:

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard him say that well.

I’m about 99 percent sure Seattle isn’t drafting Robinson so I’m okay with Seattle drafting possibly Gibbs to supplement Walker.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
Tommy likey. Tommy want wingy.

(I hope we draft this kid somehow. Perhaps move back in the 1st round and take him. Jalen Carter scares the crap out of me at #5.)

olyfan63

Reaction score
Was watching Top Billin' the other day, and Bijan had all of these great stats, until he played SEC teams, then they dropped to 2.4 (TCU) - 2.7 (Bama) YPC!
Here's what's interesting about that... Alabama Edge Will Anderson Jr. was asked who was the toughest player he played against in college.
Anderson's answer? Bijian Robinson.

21 carries for 57 yards against Bama, the ONLY SEC team Texas played. Yet they kept giving Bijian the rock, perhaps because they didn't have much else working either. I'm going with Texas O-Line probably outmanned in that matchup, and/or badly outschemed.

12 carries for 29 yards against TCU, another less-than-superlative statline. The year before, 2021, Bijian roasted TCU for 216 and basically won the game for Texas. I think that stuck in the TCU D-Coordinator's craw all year and he studied game film the whole year and went all-in on stopping Bijian in the 2022 game, rightly believing that stopping Bijian and beating Texas was the key to TCU's entire season.

Top Billin is opinionated on running backs, and many of his points make sense, wear and tear, level of competition, and so forth, but I think he's missing the boat on Bijian. Seems to know trench play fairly well, but on RBs it's mostly just standard pundit party line. Let's check back on Bijian mid-season. IMO he is a generational talent if he stays healthy. TB seems to like Zach Evans, who the Rams drafted with the final pick of the 6th round, about as much as Bijian. We'll get to see Evans a couple times a year if he makes the team.

Also, Carroll's entire philosophy is based around being able to run the ball successfully against *anyone*. Over the years we've seen the huge difference a back like Marshawn Lynch makes, especially in playoff games, and seen just how huge the dropoff is from Lynch to a Robert Turbin. Bijian is a rare talent IMO, and the Falcons clearly agree, selecting him at #8.

Last edited:

Jegpeg

Reaction score
So who knows most about how ot successfuly draft, Top Billin or The Falcons front office?

I was surprised Bijan went in the top 10 but the Falcons picked him at 8 and I am sure they knew all that was on this tape and a WHOLE low more, and made an informed decision he was worth that much.

This time last year they wrere all saying how useless Geno was and our QB situation was a joke. The GMs and HCs don't always get it right but they are better than the media guys.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
I feel Robinson is overrated he will be a good back but when people use the generational title I take that with a grain of salt. A comp I have for Robinson is Lesean McCoy who had a nice career not good enough for the HOF but one I would take for any RB worth drafting

BASF

Reaction score
This time last year they wrere all saying how useless Geno was and our QB situation was a joke. The GMs and HCs don't always get it right but they are better than the media guys.
To be fair, Top Billin' was very supportive of Geno before last season started. A lot of the criticism of his pandering to Seahawks fans stems from the fact that he was on board with Geno while the other media people were panning the decision.

olyfan63

Reaction score
I feel Robinson is overrated he will be a good back but when people use the generational title I take that with a grain of salt. A comp I have for Robinson is Lesean McCoy who had a nice career not good enough for the HOF but one I would take for any RB worth drafting
Well, LeSean McCoy himself has some words about Bijian for you, about that comparison.
Spoiler: LeSean doesn't see the comp, says Bijian is better than he was coming out of college, that LeSean was not a guy to run you over while Bijian is, he can do it all, that God made him special, best RB he's seen coming out of college in the last 5 years, can be successful in any system, and Eagles, go get this man in the draft.

I was not going to be disappointed if we drafted Bijian at #5, but I do love what the Hawks did overall in the draft.