Best O vs. Best D

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
A totally ridiculous comparison here, but I'm wondering...

If you could recreate a Seahawks dream team on both Offense and Defense from the best players in our history all in their prime, which would be the stronger side? And I realize the game has changed over the years, too... but we've had many fantastic players at every position.

Take our O-Line from 2005, younger Russ at QB, Largent/DK/Tyler/ADB at WR, Mack Strong at FB, Miller/Milli/Carlson at TE, Lynch/Alexander combo at RB...

vs.

The LOB (but what about Easley? Trufant instead of Browner? Dave Brown?) Tez, Nash, Green, Bennett, Sinclair, Brown (others) on the line, Wagner, Wright and... whom (Lofa? Brooks?) for LBers.

Another interesting comparison might be our best single year's offense vs. defense. 2005 Offense vs. 2013 Defense?

It's still offseason. I'd love to hear your thoughts.

toffee

Reaction score
The LOB (but what about Easley? Trufant instead of Browner? Dave Brown?) Tez, Nash, Green, Bennett, Sinclair, Brown (others) on the line, Wagner, Wright and... whom (Lofa? Brooks?) for LBers.
2013 defense earned the titled of league's all time great, if the roster got boosted with a additional stars. No offense, ok few offense can have their ways with them.
Take our O-Line from 2005, younger Russ at QB, Largent/DK/Tyler/ADB at WR, Mack Strong at FB, Miller/Milli/Carlson at TE, Lynch/Alexander combo at RB...
A good to very good offense, except on one of those rare 4-5 INTs days.

Spohawks

Reaction score
All Pros...
Defence = 11
Offence = 7
The defence would probably win and you can blame the right side of the O-line for that.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Have the Hawks never had good-to-great players to plug into RG and RT? Always just mediocre?

BASF

Reaction score
Bennett and Avril would chew Chris Gray up and spit him out if we are talking 05 O vs 13 defense. Stevens would probably start short arming passes against Chancellor. As much as I enjoyed watching the precision from the 05 team on O, they were rattled against the Steelers defense and they were no where near as good as our 13 defense.

Spohawks

Reaction score
Have the Hawks never had good-to-great players to plug into RG and RT? Always just mediocre?
Only 1 year of Pro Bowl play has ever came from the RG or RT position....2005 Robbie Tobeck.

OP
OP
Ad Hawk

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Tobeck played center.

It was Chris Gray at RG and Sean Locklear at RT that year. Not a pro-bowl tandem, but solid. Would Bennett and Avril have beaten them like a drum? Maybe... I don't know a better right side than those two, sadly. Breno Giacomini was a mauler with a mean streak, but not technical enough to pin down the speed and moves of our best D ends.

sdog1981

Reaction score
The Seahawks Olines have been really bad for a really long time. The team's first-ever pro bowl O-linemen was Walter Jones in 1999. Since 1999 only 5 other linemen have made the Pro Bowl from the Seahawks and 3 of them have played on the team from 2010 to 2014. If the hawks would have kept Kevin Mawae that number would still be 5 and 1999.

toffee

Reaction score
It was Chris Gray at RG and Sean Locklear at RT that year. Not a pro-bowl tandem, but solid. Would Bennett and Avril have beaten them like a drum? Maybe... I don't know a better right side than those two, sadly. Breno Giacomini was a mauler with a mean streak, but not technical enough to pin down the speed and moves of our best D ends.
Lucas and Lewis :)

Ozzy

Reaction score
I say the defense but Wilson at his best was top 1-2 QB in the league and that mitigates some of the talent differences. I still give the defense an edge because it was arguably the greatest defense every assembled when you factor in what it did against the best offense of all time, the rule changes etc.