Best draft in years

AK49Hawk

Reaction score
As fans, let's not lose sight of what the draft means to these players and their families. Imagine your child getting a call from a NFL franchise on draft day...

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
Drafting a QB is like buying lottery ticket. I remember when Payton Manning was drafted, and people Ryan Leaf was almost on the same level, and there was debate about which one was better.
True, but you can’t win the lottery if you don’t buy a ticket.

Seahawks haven’t drafted a QB in 12 years. Are we going on forever playing with Lock, Smith, Howell QBs cast off by other teams?

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I don't know about best draft in years. I love Murphy, and am very hopeful about Haynes. The rest of the guys it's wait and see for me. If we get a couple of starters and some more depth out of the rest, I'll be fine with the draft.

But I never want to hear again about how JS is committed to reloading at the QB position, like they did with his former organization in Green Bay. All I've heard for years is how he liked this QB and that QB in the draft but it always comes to nothing. I've got to see it to believe it now.
they wanted Penix and tried to trade up to get him. Not sure what you were expecting after a historic run on QB's.

bsuhawk

Reaction score
Yes, I'm talking about actually drafting QB's and having them for significant developmental time on their rookie contracts. JS got Howell as a cheaper quality backup QB to replace Drew Lock, and, I believe, actually traded a higher draft pick for him than where he went in the draft.

I know this might sound like splitting hairs, but when I have to go back like twenty years and only can come up with one QB drafted in the first 4-5 rounds, I think it's fair to say that they haven't been good forward looking custodians of the position in the draft.

Anyway, I'm just very concerned about by far the most important position in all team sports.
I think JS would agree with you. He's said a couple of times that the late great Ted Thompson taught him to always draft a QB and that he (JS) needs to do a better job of this. This year's QB is Sam Howell for a third or fourth round pick (depending on the chart you use). He has a ton of arm talent, is an above-average athlete, and can escape the pocket and make plays down field. He also holds the ball too long, tends to lock on to his primary receiver, is slow with his reads, and doesn't handle pressure well (especially up the middle). The team now has a two year window to see if he develops into a quality NFL QB.

Will he develop? Probably not, but I like his chances more than any QB drafted after Nix.

Jerhawk

Reaction score
I think JS would agree with you. He's said a couple of times that the late great Ted Thompson taught him to always draft a QB and that he (JS) needs to do a better job of this. This year's QB is Sam Howell for a third or fourth round pick (depending on the chart you use). He has a ton of arm talent, is an above-average athlete, and can escape the pocket and make plays down field. He also holds the ball too long, tends to lock on to his primary receiver, is slow with his reads, and doesn't handle pressure well (especially up the middle). The team now has a two year window to see if he develops into a quality NFL QB.

Will he develop? Probably not, but I like his chances more than any QB drafted after Nix.
Very well said. Agreed 100%

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score

Seahawks haven’t drafted a QB in 12 years. Are we going on forever playing with Lock, Smith, Howell QBs cast off by other teams?
I want us to try to get a quarterback of the future, but not with a high pick. We would be set at that position for a decade, but it's a crap shoot.

RiverDog

Reaction score
2023? Charbonnet is a good back, Jerrick is a core special teamer and Olu is our presumptive starting center. Morris was also playing very well initially before his injury. There are some unknowns and there will surely be some flameouts, but the above alone in addition to two hits in the first round is an OUTSTANDING draft compared to the average.

2023 is the type of draft that teams aim for. It's not something that teams do very often.

Bradford was a bit rough, yes, but he was also a fourth rounder. We got starting snaps out of him. That's more than you can generally expect from fourth rounders, and it is very likely more than we're going to get from our 2024 fourth rounders

2022 was also an excellent draft. Cross is competent at a premium spot, we got a stud RT (injury luck aside...), a productive edge rusher, a bellcow RB, and a CB who was a phenom year 1 and... well, we'll see going forward.

2024 is just... probably not going to live up to that. I expect the top 2 to be some degree of hit, and I expect Byron to be a Pro Bowler. I don't think the rest of the draft hits at the level of 2022/2023. Thats just me.
I'm not at all sold on Olu. He played in just 4 games last season, didn't perform well in the limited time he did play, couldn't beat out a journeyman in Evan Brown on an offensive line ranked in the bottom 5 in the league, and now we're tossing him in as a starter without any real competition.

Having said that, I like the way we approached our draft. There was no way that we were going to fill all the holes on our squad without having to compromise on the strategy of taking the BPA.

WarHawks

Reaction score
If they are laying all their cards on Howell being the QBotF then Macdonald was a bad hire. Howell is not the answer at QB. He is solid backup material. QB wasn't going to be handled this year, but it needs to be soon and i'm not sure how they are going to do it.
This. Pretending that a guy who threw 21 int's last year is going to win a sb for us is pie in the sky thinking. He's a solid backup, and yes, he might improve, but he might not. In my opinion, we're never going to sniff a sb until they acquire a top qb. As Saban said during the draft, "without a great qb, you've got nothing. You can have the best defense in the league and go nowhere if you don't have a great qb."

All that said, I actually am intrigued by the udfa qb they invited to camp. Very accurate and athletic, 140 qb rating, only 4 int's, can make all the throws, dual threat, and quite possibly more upside than Howell. I guess we'll see. If neither work out however, they have to draft a qb and stop kicking the can down the road. It's really getting old.

WarHawks

Reaction score

Exactly!!! 💯

Lords of Scythia

Reaction score
Then he would have been a bust. Again, i've said Seattle wasn't in any position to search for their QBotF this draft, but it sure isn't going to be Howell. The guy has played in the league already and has thrown as many int's as td's. Great QB's don't do that. He's not the QB that's going to take Seattle to the next level.

Seattle is going to have to figure out how to get in position to draft their QB and I don't know how that's going to work out, but it needs to be in the next couple years.
Schneider is not an idiot.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Leaf

NoGain

Reaction score
they wanted Penix and tried to trade up to get him. Not sure what you were expecting after a historic run on QB's.
I'm always hearing about how much they wanted someone, about how in it they were. But then I see teams that actually make the moves to make it happen and we don't.

12AngryHawks

Reaction score
All that said, I actually am intrigued by the udfa qb they invited to camp. Very accurate and athletic, 140 qb rating, only 4 int's, can make all the throws, dual threat, and quite possibly more upside than Howell. I guess we'll see. If neither work out however, they have to draft a qb and stop kicking the can down the road. It's really getting old.

Bear-Hawk

Reaction score
I want us to try to get a quarterback of the future, but not with a high pick. We would be set at that position for a decade, but it's a crap shoot.
I wouldn’t do a Trey Lance deal, but I would offer a second round pick to move up for a QB I really want.

CPHawk

Reaction score
That's simple. Jayden Daniels is better.
For 1 year after 4 years of being below average in college. Daniels is like if DJ U goes out and throws for 4000 yards, 40tds and runs for 15 tds next year.

SNDavidson

Reaction score
You see enough to form a pretty good opinion. Great QB's get things done and win. Howell isnt that. Even if you fix some areas of his game, he'll be nothing more than a game manager like Geno. A super bowl hopeful team needs more than that.
I think JS sees otherwise. Howell demonstrated fortitude and grit in tough games against tough teams. He's displayed a will and ability that might blossom. Almost all qb choices are expensive and boom/bust, I like Howell in 1-2 years.