Best current heavy weight boxers?

toffee

Reaction score
Who is the best at the moment?

Anthony Jushua? Certainly the best looking one, almost like a body builder.
Tyson Fury? Biggest mouth, at least biggest mouth since Ali.
Oleksandr Usyk? He beat Jushua

Anyone else? Of these three, all are Europeans, with two from UK. Whatever happened to our heavy weight boxers?

IndyHawk

Reaction score
They look like light heavyweights.
boxing went to shit with huge paydays..
No reason to keep fighting after so many millions.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
They look like light heavyweights.
boxing went to shit with huge paydays..
No reason to keep fighting after so many millions.
They are actually huge, Tyson is 6'9", Jushua 6'6" and Usyk is 6'4".

Cyrus12

Reaction score
Now, that's a name from way back! A Nigerian, right?
Ya. He went crazy and ended up in jail. Was undefeated at the time.

Skip to 19:40. He literally dummied Chris Byrd which at the time wasn't easy to do. I used to love boxing but not so much the last 20 yrs.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
They are actually huge, Tyson is 6'9", Jushua 6'6" and Usyk is 6'4".
I don't watch anymore but figures if they are so tall
they look lighter.
I remember the Ukraine fighters(brothers) who were as tall

m0ng0

Reaction score
Fury is actually one of the best "boxers" I've seen in years, which given the current climate may not be saying much. Most of the new breed have bodies like an Adonis but can't box, they just try and drop bombs all fight until they get gassed and than Fury picks them apart. Should be an interesting fight today!

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Fury just won tonight, with ease. I think we can conclude that he sure can box, and has high boxing IQ. His punch didn't pack overwhelming power, he didn't have the lightning quickness, but he is a complete boxer. I suspect he could do well in other era. I suspect his height, 6'9" could pose problem for shorter boxers like Rocky and Frazier, punching up takes more energy one would assume. Those shorter guys might get tired earlier against someone a foot taller.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Fury just won tonight, with ease. I think we can conclude that he sure can box, and has high boxing IQ. His punch didn't pack overwhelming power, he didn't have the lightning quickness, but he is a complete boxer. I suspect he could do well in other era. I suspect his height, 6'9" could pose problem for shorter boxers like Rocky and Frazier, punching up takes more energy one would assume. Those shorter guys might get tired earlier against someone a foot taller.
Sure..A guy like Mike Tyson would get dropped by guys so tall with
power/big reach advantage.
The one guy who would thrive in any era?George Foreman.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
Sure..A guy like Mike Tyson would get dropped by guys so tall with
power/big reach advantage.
The one guy who would thrive in any era?George Foreman.
Come to think of it, even body shots could need some adjustment, a body punch could land below the belt lol. Rocky, Tyson, and Frazier were all 5'9"-5'10" guys, Fury is 6'9" a whole foot taller.

Boycie

Reaction score
Come to think of it, even body shots could need some adjustment, a body punch could land below the belt lol. Rocky, Tyson, and Frazier were all 5'9"-5'10" guys, Fury is 6'9" a whole foot taller.
That would be an interesting fight. Iron Mike was ferocious when he was in close with body blows and that upper cut. I like Fury, but I still think Mike Tyson would beat him in his prime. I don't know if we will ever see such a dominating fighter as him.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
That would be an interesting fight. Iron Mike was ferocious when he was in close with body blows and that upper cut. I like Fury, but I still think Mike Tyson would beat him in his prime. I don't know if we will ever see such a dominating fighter as him.
I concur, Mike at his prime was very quick and his combination was a work of art. Deadly if you factor in his iron chain.

Come to think of it, both Ali and Tyson had chains of carbon steel, and lightning fast hands. Ali had better footwork,

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Mike could always be beaten just the way Buster did it.
Reach.power and keeping him outside for over 3-4 rounds.
I never understood then why nobody did it..Trying to go
toe to toe with Tyson early was just stupid.
Ali and Foreman would have beaten him..Ali with rope/dope ect
Foreman at 6:5 trees for arms,mad power and a long reach.
Tyson's nightmare match up.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Foreman was the best of all time. He only lost to Ali because he got injured during training leading up to the fight (I think he cut his eye) and having to forgo training (or significantly lighten it up) for the weeks leading up to the fight. This allowed Ali to go into it in peak fighting form and conditioning. He got lucky. Not to mention the people putting on the fight made sure Foreman had to endure the psychological abuse of living in some foreign country where everybody was cheering for Ali.

chris98251

Reaction score
Foreman was the best of all time. He only lost to Ali because he got injured during training leading up to the fight (I think he cut his eye) and having to forgo training (or significantly lighten it up) for the weeks leading up to the fight. This allowed Ali to go into it in peak fighting form and conditioning. He got lucky. Not to mention the people putting on the fight made sure Foreman had to endure the psychological abuse of living in some foreign country where everybody was cheering for Ali.
Did you watch the fight? Foreman was fine, he wind milled his way to exhaustion due to frustration, attempting to punch thru the double hand up defense on the ropes, and Ali then came at him when he had heavy hands, Ali was a bruised and a sore mess for weeks afterwards.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
They never had a rematch, but Foreman's fights post Ali wasn't great. Felt like either Foreman lost some mental edge or Ali showcased how to beat Foreman.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
Did you watch the fight? Foreman was fine, he wind milled his way to exhaustion due to frustration, attempting to punch thru the double hand up defense on the ropes, and Ali then came at him when he had heavy hands, Ali was a bruised and a sore mess for weeks afterwards.

I've watched the fight. Have you read about it? This is documented fact. Foreman was not in peak physical form because of that injury. He had to recover for the six weeks leading up to the fight while Ali trained. This makes all the difference

Foreman didn't train for Jimmy Young. After losing, he realized his heart was no longer in it. And quit.