Bear with me. Is/was Adams the problem on D?

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
Okay - a few weeks ago, when Adams returned, my wife made a comments about him being like a retarded attack snake. Fast as F, but misses all the time and can't wrap up tackles. Another poster chalked it up to his shoulders and not wanting them to be re-injured. At the time, I thought "well if he's not willing and able, WTF is he doing on the field?". But, that aside.

We used to tackle. Tackling on D was a POINT OF PRIDE for many years under the PC era. Then it stopped. I haven't seen anyone wrap up a tackle, or series of tackles since..... oh, I don't know: ADAMS got here.

Now with the D looking like they've pretty much given up except Bobby, I'm wondering if Adams broke our D. Basically he was the lead dog, and didn't do shit properly, and infected the rest as the 'standard'. Now, with the latest spat/end of the Adams era looming - I can't help but wonder if the D is pissed at the team for perceived injustices against Adams, and are protesting.

Won't go on about it - just a thought that occurred to me.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Okay - a few weeks ago, when Adams returned, my wife made a comments about him being like a retarded attack snake. Fast as F, but misses all the time and can't wrap up tackles. Another poster chalked it up to his shoulders and not wanting them to be re-injured. At the time, I thought "well if he's not willing and able, WTF is he doing on the field?". But, that aside.

We used to tackle. Tackling on D was a POINT OF PRIDE for many years under the PC era. Then it stopped. I haven't seen anyone wrap up a tackle, or series of tackles since..... oh, I don't know: ADAMS got here.

Now with the D looking like they've pretty much given up except Bobby, I'm wondering if Adams broke our D. Basically he was the lead dog, and didn't do shit properly, and infected the rest as the 'standard'. Now, with the latest spat/end of the Adams era looming - I can't help but wonder if the D is pissed at the team for perceived injustices against Adams, and are protesting.

Won't go on about it - just a thought that occurred to me.
I seriously doubt that, not unless a player had the equivalent of a death wish on the future of his career.

OP
OP
CalgaryFan05

CalgaryFan05

Reaction score
I seriously doubt that, not unless a player had the equivalent of a death wish on the future of his career.
oh i dunno about that - i remember the Kam holdout with 24 wearing his jersey in solidarity -

not that far fetched..... IMO

hawkfan68

Reaction score
I believe tackling issues are stemming more from Diggs than Adams. Diggs is a team captain. They had tackling issues last season when Adams was out for most of the season too. So while Adams hasn’t helped, this was an ongoing problem. Once Diggs started becoming a leader the tackling issues came to the front. It could also be Hurtt not doing his job as DC too. But Adams effect is farther down my list of problems as the cause of poor tackling and run defense.

Last edited:

Dallashawksfan

Reaction score
I didn’t see him yesterday so no, he is not the main problem. Just a problem.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
A much larger proportion of our defense is made up of free agents than it was when Pete's defense was dominant. Been that way for years. Adams, Diggs, Love, Bush, D. Jones, Edwards, Burns, and in previous years Harris, Woods, Coleman, McDougald, S. Jones, D.J. Reed, Dunlap, Hyder, Clowney, Dunbar, Ansah, Kendricks, Jordan, Mingo, Richardon, Garvin, Wilhoite...I mean yeesh. If you want to blame PC, go after his drafting, not his culture. A whole bunch of this defense hasn't even grown up in his culture. A lot likelier to be cynical about it.

That's not to say we haven't succeeded with free agents before...Clemons, Avril, Bennett, McDonald, McDaniel, Farwell, and last year Nwosu. But that's a short list. I would like to see a homegrown, cohesive defense again. It really highlights how bad our drafting was from 2014 to 2021 (I exclude 2013 because nobody had a good draft that year) - we've been having to rely on free agents because NONE of our defensive picks over that span, short of Clark and Reed off the top of my head, ever played at a really high level.

Last edited:

hinton

Reaction score
I didn’t see him yesterday so no, he is not the main problem. Just a problem.
This.

Our D in the last 2 games was brutal and he wasn't a part of it.

I can't see him ever being good at S again. He might make a good LB who plays fast and hits hard, but with his recent injury history I'm not sure his body will handle it.

evergreen

Reaction score
I really thought he was going to be a LOB type player. He was expensive, but had he been LOB quality he would've been worth it.

renofox

Reaction score
Adams is an outstanding player when healthy and when used correctly.

I don't think he was anywhere near healthy enough to play early in the season, and his attempts just kept exacerbating the issue. He may never fully recover his unique athletic abilities.

I do think that he was never used correctly by the Seahawks in a scheme that took advantage of his abilities. 2-3 years in PC was still saying things to the effect of "We just need to figure out how to use him".

My problem has never been with JA. My problem has always been the massive amount of draft capital and cap $$$ spent by PCJS on a player who has not contributed to the success of the defense any more than a $4M/yr average safety would have.

keasley45

Reaction score
To the degree that he was viewed as a key piece in shoring up difficiencies in the front 7, yes.

Jamal was essentially an additional LB. I'm sure the FO thought that if Mafe or Taylor, or Hall couldn't hold down the right side, that bringing Adams up would cover the hole. None of them actually worked, and Adams was shelved.

And... after Nwosu went down, they likely thought Clark and Adams playing to his side could lessen the blow. Clark was well, garbage, and Adams season was cut short.

In hindsight, I'm not sure I buy that he was the cancer in the lockerrom we may have thought he was. I just think, looking back, that there was no way he was going to be able to hold up playing such a significant role at 'LB ' and then also having to switch positions essentially and cover guys like Deebo and Kittle.

It all just went to Sh!+. Quickly.

had2bhawk

Reaction score
Now, with the latest spat/end of the Adams era looming - I can't help but wonder if the D is pissed at the team for perceived injustices against Adams, and are protesting
Protesting- NO.
I think trying to strip the ball rather than take out the legs is the issue

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I'll just say this, I don't think it was a coincidence that the first game Adams was out (Philly) was the game where literally every DB on the Hawk's defense had their best game.

Love
Woolen
Brown
Diggs

All had great games, including Love launching himself with two interceptions to an All Pro.

And that's just ON the field, off the field Adam's was a cap killing Twitter beefing moron who was an A1 ass and distraction to the team, when he should have been the defensive leader and tone setter on and off the field.

So yeah, your wife is right. Give her a high five for me.

giphy.gif

Mase

Reaction score
-- I am one who believes getting Adams off this roster is literally job one this offseason. He is so busy believing he is a great player that he forgets to actually act like one. I have never blamed him for what the front office gave up for him. I had no problem with them taking the risk as I believe they were trying to get a Chancellor like player back on the field. I just think his performance has been so poor, there is no reason to keep other players off the field. The twitter fight with the reporter was the last straw for me. Mocking the man's wife was just beyond the pale.

Mase

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
-- I am one who believes getting Adams off this roster is literally job one this offseason. He is so busy believing he is a great player that he forgets to actually act like one. I have never blamed him for what the front office gave up for him. I had no problem with them taking the risk as I believe they were trying to get a Chancellor like player back on the field. I just think his performance has been so poor, there is no reason to keep other players off the field. The twitter fight with the reporter was the last straw for me. Mocking the man's wife was just beyond the pale.

Mase

Adams was gone after the Philly game.

Thus the mysterious "away from the team" and then when he came back he had the nagging injuries. Dude was cooked, and everyone knew it.

I never fault the FO for taking big swings with free agents, trades and the draft, and Adams looked the part for a season 1/2. But that's when it should have stopped. NEVER should have given him the new contract. But Pete was stubborn and thought he could squeeze another couple of good years out of Adams.

Nope. The End.

toffee

Reaction score
Adam's best years were his time with the Jets, his 2024 was a shell of his former self, whether it was mental or physical we don't know. I suspect a combination of both, he's like a QB that keep hearing footsteps. I also suspect that he problem with Pete was his unwillingness to risk another injury by playing soft.

Fresno Hawk

Reaction score
I dont think he was the problem. He was still hurt this year, and it showed. If he can get back to 85 percent of his abilities than we can still use him effectively.