Another Geno Smith Topic.

QWERTY

Reaction score
February 21st- March 7 Teams can place an

• Non-exclusive franchise tag. ...
  • Exclusive franchise tag. ...
  • Transition tag.

The non-franchise tag for QB's for 2023 is $32.416 mill. ( But other teams can try to convince Geno Smith to a sign a deal with them.)

The exclusive franchise tag will mean 45 Mill. ( I believe teams can't negotiate an contract with Geno).

I believe that the Seahawks have around 31-33mill of cap available. Maybe it went down with the re-signing of FB and Guard, but if I'm not mistaken once the Hawks management gives Geno a Non-exclusive or a exclusive franchise tag, that 32 mill will be on hold for Geno, and the Hawks will not have any money to re-sign their other players as they have to put the money available on hold.

Can someone verify if ^^^^^ is true?

I believe that the QB market of signing will take a long process, because everything starts with Lamar, and then Carr, Rodgers ( If he gets traded or not), Daniel Jones, Geno, Jimmy G, Baker, and then the rest.

I'm sure that Geno is probably wishing and hoping that Carr and Jimmy gets paid very high. Then he would know how much he is worth.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Over the Cap is your friend with all cap related questions.

Yes signing Geno to a 30+ salary would take up most of that, depending on how it's structured, length, guaranteed money, etc.

But this also fails to take into account numerous players being cut that'll free up another 15-20M of cap, as well as a couple big restructures that happen every off season to free up even more cap.

I honestly don't think we'll use any tags on Geno. Schneider's pretty damn good at knowing what the market will pay the players he's negotiating with.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
The only franchise tag that makes any sense to use on Geno is the Non-Exclusive one, which is projected to be $32.4M.

If Geno is tagged with the Non-Exclusive tag, he is free to negotiate with other clubs, but Seattle would have the right of first refusal... and if he signs elsewhere, the Hawks would receive two 1st round drafts picks as compensation.

And I believe that once a team designates a player to be franchised, the amount of the tag must be accounted for in the team's salary cap space.

So, if Geno were to be tagged, the Hawks would first have to create cap space by cutting players and/or re-structuring some players' contracts to free up cap space.

To date, that hasn't been the case, which suggests that the team doesn't plan to franchise Geno, which I personally endorse..

scutterhawk

Reaction score
For me it's a >NO on the Franchise Tag<, I Love the guy's Grit and get where he's earned a chance to prove that 2022 wasn't a 'One Hit'/ Fluke, BUT IF it's all about just Ca$hing in RIGHT NOW? NO, some blokes think that hey, it's not my problem IF a team hamstrings itself, because they've fed me the Lions Share of the CAP.

sdog1981

Reaction score
Can we get a Geno Smith super-topic sticky? Just an idea for the mods.