After Senior Bowl Seahawks 2023 mock draft

Chevy

Reaction score
I have the Seahawks trading down in the 1st round with the Panthers. Seahawks acquire #9 in the 1st round and additional 2nd round pick. This is with the assumption Coach Carroll and John resign Geno.

1st round #9 (from Panthers) - (OLB/DE) Will McDonald IV 6'3" 241 lbs. Iowa State:
As you may already know I consider McDonald the best pass rusher in the draft, and after the Senior Bowl he is getting bumped up into the 1st round by draft analysts. McDonald will be a menace at OLB in a 3-4 with his elite pass rushing traits. He is not another Bruce Irvin, Bruce tried to win with elite quickness and then tried to bull rush at a little brother size (for DE). McDonald is a more refined pass rusher than Bruce, although he is still not a finished product. McDonald has an amazing spin move, which very few pass rushers have coming into the NFL or even develop into their pass rushing repertoire. McDonald has the best turn the corner bend in the last couple of drafts. He has 35-inch arm length! He will probably blow up the combine with his testing numbers, so I project him being a top-10 pick. I've seen so many comments as to why his production wasn't good, all I have to say is look at how he was played in the Iowa State scheme. He was a majority of the time playing DE in a 3-4 scheme! So yeah, bad fit, 50 lbs. too light for the position. If Will Anderson (Alabama) was playing mostly DE in a 3-4 for scheme, stat scouts would be asking the same question about him.

1st round #20 - (OT) Dawand Jones 6'8" 375 lbs. Ohio State: Jones is an elite prospect but is a one position only (RT) offensive lineman, which is why I think he could last to #20. He is a bully in the running game. In pass pro he has 36-inch arm length and a huge wingspan, so good luck trying to try to rush past him on the outside. I love Abraham Lucas, but Jones is such a stud at RT that I could see the Seahawks moving Lucas to RG. Lucas I believe could be a great RG with his athleticism and alpha dog demeanor. This pick of Jones would make us a right-handed team, so any time we wanted to impose our will on a defense...we'd run it to the right side of the offensive line. I was going to change this pick after I had seen Rob Staaton had made the same pick at #20 in his latest mock, but I feel it makes too much sense after the Senior Bowl & our need on the offensive line. Watch the RT in the video below, thats Jones.

2nd round #37 - (OC/LG) Steve Avila 6'3" 332 lbs. TCU: Aviala was a player I liked in round 3 before the Senior Bowl, but as of now I consider him a top of the 2nd round prospect. He took snaps at Center and that is where I have him playing for the Seahawks. The big man is a decent athlete and has a great anchor. He has ideal size for a Center and can play in both man and zone schemes. These last two picks would give the Seahawks an elite offensive line, so we could crush in the running game and give an average to above average QB chance to succeed as a game manager.

Steve Avila 7

2nd round #39 (from Panthers) - (NT/DT) Gervon Dexter 6'6" 315 lbs. Florida: Dexter has amazing play strength and looks to have good arm length. I think he is more of a linear athlete, which is fine for a NT. He sheds blocks like a big brother disengaging from his little brother. With a supporting cast of pass rushers, he could contribute to sack/pressures. I think he is an elite run defender with upside as a pass rusher.

2nd round #52 - (DE/DT) Karl Brooks 6'3" 303 lbs. Bowling Green: Brooks is an athletic big man that can apply pressure. He has high upside and would be a great fit for the size and athleticism the Seahawks want at DE on their 3-4 defensive line.

OIF

3rd round #83 - (FS/SS/nickle CB) Sydney Brown 5'10" 213 lbs. Illinois: Brown isn't an elite athlete, but he is a baller. I think he could be a much cheaper version of Diggs and just as good as Diggs prime.

4th round #123 - (RB) Kendre Miller 6'0" 220 lbs. TCU: Miller has good size, power, and athleticism. For us he would be a legit backup RB or even really good starting RB if K-9 went down with an injury.

MillervsKSU1

5th round #153 - (CB) Chamarri Conner 6'0" 205 lbs. Virginia Tech: Conner has good size although a bit short in arm length. He would compete for CB and Safety for us. He played both at VT.

6th round #156 - (ILB/OLB) Noah Taylor 6'5" 240 lbs. North Carolina: Taylor, when at Virginia, played Safety, nickel CB, ILB, OLB, and DE. He transferred to North Carolina so he could play at one position. So, he obviously has the athleticism, he just needs a position for coaches to stick him at so he can focus on. Givin his size, athleticism, and previous experience I think he would be a ILB for us. At the least he could be a situational pass rusher. Watch Taylor's highlight below!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yuck. No way RT in round 1 that’s just plain dumb. And did you watch the Natty?? Avila was clowned in the regular.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Yuck. No way RT in round 1 that’s just plain dumb. And did you watch the Natty?? Avila was clowned in the regular.
I have no idea what you are talking about! Provide video or real evaluation.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Do you care to elaborate or just troll?
He's not a top 10 player? He'll be available late 1st round if not later. I like him as a player but there's way too much talent at a top 10 pick to use it on him. Anyone whose draft stock goes from 2nd round top 10 because of senior bowl isn't worth it.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
He's not a top 10 player? He'll be available late 1st round if not later. I like him as a player but there's way too much talent at a top 10 pick to use it on him. Anyone whose draft stock goes from 2nd round top 10 because of senior bowl isn't worth it.
That is not the consensus, this is considered a bad draft for blue chip players. This is considered a weak high-end draft.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
Of the drafts you have done this is the one I most agree with. I have loved McDonald the entire mock draft process he is just a tweener. A phenomenal athlete that has a lot of skill I am sure at the combine they will have him go through LB drills to see how he looks in space either he doesn’t do well in space and that the reason Iowa St had him at DE because of this or they just needed him at DE, @#9 is a bit rich for me but I could see him go that high if he tests well in drills and interview.

Until I saw the OL/DL drills at the Senior Bowl I didn’t think much of Jones but he definitely looked like a man among boys the thing I was most impressed about was how well he can move for a 375 lb player I would be on board with him

Dexter is pretty athletic for. 6’6” DT could become close to Chris Jones.

I would prefer Schmitz over Avila

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I question McDonald because is he really better than Mafe, Taylor, or Nwosu? He doesn't strike me as an impactful player. Would that be worth it to trade out of the top 5? I don't think so. I would prefer if the team stayed at #5 and pick the best impactful player left.

#5: Carter still might drop. One of the QBs might drop. I still like Tyree Wilson at this spot. He's better than McDonald and offers more upside.

#20: I actually agree here. If Dawand Jones or Darnell Wright is here -- you should consider taking them. Same thing with Witherspoon/Gonzalez/Porter. Same thing with Michael Mayer. Get the best player at this spot. Make a position group elite with more talent. It's smart drafting.

#38: I like Adetomiwa Adebawore here. Keion White might last until here. John Michael Schmitz might last here. You double down on DT prospects. Would be nice.

#52: If you miss out on Schmitz then I would turn to someone like Cody Mauch. He's a legit guard prospect. Avila is alright but I think Mauch is better. I still would prefer Schimtz here. My dark horse pick is Tank Dell. I would like another WR.

#83: Love this pick. I have been pumping up Sydney Brown for awhile now. I think he's going to be really really good in the NFL. It's a steal at this round. I am afraid he might go in the 2nd.

#123: Daiyan Henley would be nice here but I think he goes earlier now with his huge Senior Bowl week. I think I would pull the trigger on Darius Rush here. Continue to build the depth for CB. He has a chance of starting in the future.

#153: If this happens then we should be really lucky. I think Roschon Johnson is the biggest sleeper at RB in this draft. He has so much in the tank and he got injured on the first day of the Senior Bowl. They might work in our favor.

I need to do more research for the rest of the picks....

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
You are so sure of your evaulation with out facts or scouting takes from you eye.
I question McDonald because is he really better than Mafe, Taylor, or Nwosu? He doesn't strike me as an impactful player. Would that be worth it to trade out of the top 5? I don't think so. I would prefer if the team stayed at #5 and pick the best impactful player left.

#5: Carter still might drop. One of the QBs might drop. I still like Tyree Wilson at this spot. He's better than McDonald and offers more upside.

#20: I actually agree here. If Dawand Jones or Darnell Wright is here -- you should consider taking them. Same thing with Witherspoon/Gonzalez/Porter. Same thing with Michael Mayer. Get the best player at this spot. Make a position group elite with more talent. It's smart drafting.

#38: I like Adetomiwa Adebawore here. Keion White might last until here. John Michael Schmitz might last here. You double down on DT prospects. Would be nice.

#52: If you miss out on Schmitz then I would turn to someone like Cody Mauch. He's a legit guard prospect. Avila is alright but I think Mauch is better. I still would prefer Schimtz here. My dark horse pick is Tank Dell. I would like another WR.

#83: Love this pick. I have been pumping up Sydney Brown for awhile now. I think he's going to be really really good in the NFL. It's a steal at this round. I am afraid he might go in the 2nd.

#123: Daiyan Henley would be nice here but I think he goes earlier now with his huge Senior Bowl week. I think I would pull the trigger on Darius Rush here. Continue to build the depth for CB. He has a chance of starting in the future.

#153: If this happens then we should be really lucky. I think Roschon Johnson is the biggest sleeper at RB in this draft. He has so much in the tank and he got injured on the first day of the Senior Bowl. They might work in our favor.

I need to do more research for the rest of the picks....
IMO yes McDonald is much better than Mafe, Taylor, and after a year better than Nwsosu. Mafe was a beast in his Senior Bowl but look linear/stiff during game film...which showed his rookie year. Taylor is explosive, but like Bruce Irvin he hasn't improved his pass rushing skillset. McDonnald right now is a better pass rusher than Mafe or Taylor or Irvin, IMO. Mafe is a linear athlete, and Taylor is explosive, but hasn't developed pass rush moves ala Bruce Irvin. McDonnald is a more fluid athlete, can turn the corner better, has a legit spin move, has elite arm length, is used to going against much bigger opponents, and his athleticism looked elite during Senior Bowl drills.

Again I know I am in the minority about McDonald. Come draft day (if he is not top-15) or in a year or two I'll be cool with admitting I was wrong. But I think he could be an amazing 3-4 pass rusher.

I also like Cody, but more as a Center. He is definitely gets after it!

SonicHawk

Reaction score
You are so sure of your evaulation with out facts or scouting takes from you eye.
Why are you allowed to be so confident in your scouting when he is universally not a top 10 pick? He's consistently rated like #8 at his position... and even if he moves up, he's still an over-pick at #9. If you can trade down to ~20 it makes much more sense, there are going to be more talented edge guys at #9.

Seattle Person

Reaction score

IMO yes McDonald is much better than Mafe, Taylor, and after a year better than Nwsosu. Mafe was a beast in his Senior Bowl but look linear/stiff during game film...which showed his rookie year. Taylor is explosive, but like Bruce Irvin he hasn't improved his pass rushing skillset. McDonnald right now is a better pass rusher than Mafe or Taylor or Irvin, IMO. Mafe is a linear athlete, and Taylor is explosive, but hasn't developed pass rush moves ala Bruce Irvin. McDonnald is a more fluid athlete, can turn the corner better, has a legit spin move, has elite arm length, is used to going against much bigger opponents, and his athleticism looked elite during Senior Bowl drills.

Again I know I am in the minority about McDonald. Come draft day (if he is not top-15) or in a year or two I'll be cool with admitting I was wrong. But I think he could be an amazing 3-4 pass rusher.

I also like Cody, but more as a Center. He is definitely gets after it!

We'll have to see. If he blows up the Combine then maybe he will go that high. Bruce Irvin went high despite showing less skill in college. McDonald has rare speed and length. I can see it. I just don't see it right now before the Combine. He has speed, has a spin move, and little else.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
Why are you allowed to be so confident in your scouting when he is universally not a top 10 pick? He's consistently rated like #8 at his position... and even if he moves up, he's still an over-pick at #9. If you can trade down to ~20 it makes much more sense, there are going to be more talented edge guys at #9.
Look at your comments that you made. You made definitive statements about him on other people's opinions that are not on your own evaluation of game tape of the prospect.

Every thought I have on a prospect that doesn't fall in line with the others, I always say IMO. So, it's not definitive as like your statement was with no evaluation.

I suggest you look at his game tape and the position he plays and then watch the other 8 3-4 OLB pass rushers that you have read are better than him (this is what I have done). Then reevaluate your rankings.

OP
OP
C

Chevy

Reaction score
We'll have to see. If he blows up the Combine then maybe he will go that high. Bruce Irvin went high despite showing less skill in college. McDonald has rare speed and length. I can see it. I just don't see it right now before the Combine. He has speed, has a spin move, and little else.
I don't understand then why an outstanding combine will change your opinion of his draft status if you already know he looks like legit athlete at rush OLB.

Seattle Person

Reaction score
I don't understand then why an outstanding combine will change your opinion of his draft status if you already know he looks like legit athlete at rush OLB.

For a top 10 pick I want everything bro. I want good tape. Good Combine. Good interview. If he goes out and runs a 4.4 or 4.5 with his length then some team out there is going to fall for him. It will justify him going that high. Teams might be willing to overlook how inconsistent he looked in the 2022 season. He had a good Senior Bowl and reminded people why he's a first round pick. That's awesome but to propel him all the way up to #9?

I don't agree. I'm not saying I won't ever agree with you so slow your roll. You don't have to have this attitude that you're always right. I respect the work you do. You have clearly put in a lot of work. We can disagree. Put your mock out there and have a discussion. Don't get your feelings hurt when people want to dissect it or pick at it. That's the nature of a mock.

He checks everything the Hawks want so I'll give you that. It makes sense. It might even come true. To say he's already better than Taylor and Mafe is a little rich. Mafe is a really good run defender and Taylor is a good pass rusher. Yes...DT has work to do but at #9, I want a starter now or in the near future. I'm not sure McDonald is a better run defender than Mafe so he won't start on the strong side. The jury is out if he can displace Taylor. He ain't taking snaps from Nwosu...

KinesProf

Reaction score
I don't dislike McDonald as a player, but I would much prefer they address the trenches/interior of the dline early rather than the edges. I think the Hawks are better than adequate, if not with some decent upside on the edges with Nwosu, Taylor, Mafe - that group is only going to get better with more reps and experience.

I like Dawand Jones, I don't like him as a first round pick for the Hawks. They need to do less moving positions of their young offensive linemen, not more. Let Lucas continue to develop into one of the better RTs in the NFL. Lane Johnson, Jack Conklin, Penei Sewell have been allowed to stick and develop at RT - Abe should be afforded the same opportunity; why derail his development trend? The Hawks have too often gotten cute with their handling of young olinemen - if you want a G/C then draft a G/C.

But really it is hard to give too much of an opinion on a mock draft without knowing who else was available with each pick.

AgentDib

Reaction score
It helps with these kind of threads to interpret "In my opinion..." before every single statement. None of us really know anything, but it would be tiring to preface every single statement with that qualifier.

This draft fills most of what I see our needs to be. I'm not sure that Noah Taylor would be ready to start at ILB and so we'd probably be looking at FA for one or two guys that could play immediately.

McDonald will continue to creep up the boards as we continue the process. He was a good prospect before the season and slipped a lot due to the lack of stats, which as pointed out was partly because he was playing inside. However, picking him at #10 feels like we'd be reaching to address a perceived need when we'd actually be getting another speed OLB for passing downs who needs to improve considerably against the run. Nolan Smith a bit later on would be a more intriguing add to our OLB mix for me as a guy who's a bit smaller but also somehow a really physical run defender.

The Dawand Jones thing is very plausible but I wouldn't like it. Abe showed that he was a bit unexpectedly good in space and in pass pro, and I think with better RG play, a TE, and Walker's speed we can be very effective on stretch right runs without needing a huge road grader. If we want to hit interior stuff more consistently I think the answer is to add a power back.

Kendre Miller could fit that bill as a between the tackles guy, but we might want a guy with more explosion if Miller tests poorly at the combine. Alternatively, a guy like Kenny McIntosh would be pretty interesting as not only a short yardage back but also a third down back with sure hands and the frame to be a strong pass protector.

Jville

Reaction score
I have the Seahawks trading down in the 1st round with the Panthers. Seahawks acquire #9 in the 1st round and additional 2nd round pick. This is with the assumption Coach Carroll and John resign Geno.

1st round #9 (from Panthers) - (OLB/DE) Will McDonald IV 6'3" 241 lbs. Iowa State:
As you may already know I consider McDonald the best pass rusher in the draft, and after the Senior Bowl he is getting bumped up into the 1st round by draft analysts. McDonald will be a menace at OLB in a 3-4 with his elite pass rushing traits. He is not another Bruce Irvin, Bruce tried to win with elite quickness and then tried to bull rush at a little brother size (for DE). McDonald is a more refined pass rusher than Bruce, although he is still not a finished product. McDonald has an amazing spin move, which very few pass rushers have coming into the NFL or even develop into their pass rushing repertoire. McDonald has the best turn the corner bend in the last couple of drafts. He has 35-inch arm length! He will probably blow up the combine with his testing numbers, so I project him being a top-10 pick. I've seen so many comments as to why his production wasn't good, all I have to say is look at how he was played in the Iowa State scheme. He was a majority of the time playing DE in a 3-4 scheme! So yeah, bad fit, 50 lbs. too light for the position. If Will Anderson (Alabama) was playing mostly DE in a 3-4 for scheme, stat scouts would be asking the same question about him.

1st round #20 - (OT) Dawand Jones 6'8" 375 lbs. Ohio State: Jones is an elite prospect but is a one position only (RT) offensive lineman, which is why I think he could last to #20. He is a bully in the running game. In pass pro he has 36-inch arm length and a huge wingspan, so good luck trying to try to rush past him on the outside. I love Abraham Lucas, but Jones is such a stud at RT that I could see the Seahawks moving Lucas to RG. Lucas I believe could be a great RG with his athleticism and alpha dog demeanor. This pick of Jones would make us a right-handed team, so any time we wanted to impose our will on a defense...we'd run it to the right side of the offensive line. I was going to change this pick after I had seen Rob Staaton had made the same pick at #20 in his latest mock, but I feel it makes too much sense after the Senior Bowl & our need on the offensive line. Watch the RT in the video below, thats Jones.

2nd round #37 - (OC/LG) Steve Avila 6'3" 332 lbs. TCU: Aviala was a player I liked in round 3 before the Senior Bowl, but as of now I consider him a top of the 2nd round prospect. He took snaps at Center and that is where I have him playing for the Seahawks. The big man is a decent athlete and has a great anchor. He has ideal size for a Center and can play in both man and zone schemes. These last two picks would give the Seahawks an elite offensive line, so we could crush in the running game and give an average to above average QB chance to succeed as a game manager.

View attachment 57183

2nd round #39 (from Panthers) - (NT/DT) Gervon Dexter 6'6" 315 lbs. Florida: Dexter has amazing play strength and looks to have good arm length. I think he is more of a linear athlete, which is fine for a NT. He sheds blocks like a big brother disengaging from his little brother. With a supporting cast of pass rushers, he could contribute to sack/pressures. I think he is an elite run defender with upside as a pass rusher.

2nd round #52 - (DE/DT) Karl Brooks 6'3" 303 lbs. Bowling Green: Brooks is an athletic big man that can apply pressure. He has high upside and would be a great fit for the size and athleticism the Seahawks want at DE on their 3-4 defensive line.

View attachment 57184

3rd round #83 - (FS/SS/nickle CB) Sydney Brown 5'10" 213 lbs. Illinois: Brown isn't an elite athlete, but he is a baller. I think he could be a much cheaper version of Diggs and just as good as Diggs prime.

4th round #123 - (RB) Kendre Miller 6'0" 220 lbs. TCU: Miller has good size, power, and athleticism. For us he would be a legit backup RB or even really good starting RB if K-9 went down with an injury.

View attachment 57185

5th round #153 - (CB) Chamarri Conner 6'0" 205 lbs. Virginia Tech: Conner has good size although a bit short in arm length. He would compete for CB and Safety for us. He played both at VT.

6th round #156 - (ILB/OLB) Noah Taylor 6'5" 240 lbs. North Carolina: Taylor, when at Virginia, played Safety, nickel CB, ILB, OLB, and DE. He transferred to North Carolina so he could play at one position. So, he obviously has the athleticism, he just needs a position for coaches to stick him at so he can focus on. Givin his size, athleticism, and previous experience I think he would be a ILB for us. At the least he could be a situational pass rusher. Watch Taylor's highlight below!

Appreciate all the trouble you went to to articulate your choices and thoughts.

Though we may not all agree with every point, keep posting. You enrich the forum Chevy. :cool:

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score

Happens all the time.

Schneider (and other GM's) talk about this prospect effect all the time. After the top 6-10 picks, there's usually a dramatic drop off in grade 1 talent.

It's why teams like the Hawks drop down and even drop out of the 1st round, because the grades between middle to late 1st rounders and early 2nd are virtually the same. Lots of guys with potential, but holes in their game.

So yes, there's going to be LOT of moving up and down with most of these guys depending on their combines and things like the Senior Bowl.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Great work, but I don't know about Dawand Jones. He seems more like a late riser due to Senior Bowl practice and "wingspan." As opposed to a long tenured 1st round prospect.

And this worries me: [Dawand Jones] sat out on Wednesday due to undisclosed reasons. It was reported that he was potentially dealing with an injury after the first day of practice on Tuesday, and he was absent from the media breakfast and practice altogether.