Adams to come off pup list

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
When he is on his game he is a game wrecker to opposing offences. In answer to your question check out the dead cap hit.

Trading him prior to him proving he's back would be selling low.

If he returns to form he's worth the money.

Hate to be negative Nelly, but neither is happening.

No GM is going to take on that contract, even for a sack of footballs............and Adam's hasn't been healthy and "on form" for over two seasons, and if we're being honest even in 2021 when he played 12 games in 2021 he was noticeably compromised. Thus the zero sacks, arm tackles and business decisions at the goal line pulling up instead of hitting people like he normally would.

IMO Adam's can still be a disruptive force if his leg is fully healed and he still has the burst and quickness back. But I can't see in any recovery world that he's back to pre-2021 form with what he's had to recover from the past two seasons.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Healthy or not, Pete is going to have to change how he uses Adams if our defense is to improve.

In Adams first season with us in 2020, in 12 games he recorded 9.5 sacks, 14 QB hits, and 11 tackles for loss. In 2021 while again appearing in 12 games, Adams recorded zero sacks, just two QB hits, and 4 tackles for loss. Defenses had figured him out. Add to that the fact that he's not a ball hawk, recording just two interceptions in 25 games, a liability in pass coverage, and not a great run stopper, it's apparent that we're going to have to figure out how best to employ him so as to take advantage of his one strength, rushing the passer.

It may not be a fair comparison as there's a lot of other factors besides Adams' presence or absence, but the fact is that our defense was never great with him in there (ranked 28th in 2021, 22nd in 2020) and our team did much better without him in 2021 (9-8) than we did with him in 2020 (4-8 in games he started).

So yea, it's nice to see him return, but we're going to have to temper our expectations until we see how he's utilized and what the results are.

Last edited:

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Saying teams figured him out is wrong. He was employed differently then in his first season here. He played more deep safety than usual and less in the box. Where there were using Neal in a more swiss army knife fashion. This is why Neal showed well Everytime he was on the field. Adams is constantly disrupting pass plays or in good coverage. Because he can't catch doesn't mean he is a liability in coverage, because he isn't. He makes plays all over the field. People need to get over the dam trade, because in reality it worked out for us. He has helped win us more games than causing losses.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Saying teams figured him out is wrong. He was employed differently then in his first season here. He played more deep safety than usual and less in the box. Where there were using Neal in a more swiss army knife fashion. This is why Neal showed well Everytime he was on the field. Adams is constantly disrupting pass plays or in good coverage. Because he can't catch doesn't mean he is a liability in coverage, because he isn't. He makes plays all over the field. People need to get over the dam trade, because in reality it worked out for us. He has helped win us more games than causing losses.

In no world did the trade work out for us. The draft capital and salary committed to Adams for basically one good season is nowhere near "worked out."

Maybe some of that can be salvaged if he somehow comes back and plays well and helps the Hawks go deep into the playoffs? But sorry, as of now it's one of the worst trades in the NFL in the past decade.

Hell, if it wasn't for us fleecing the Broncos, it'd probably be the #1 worst trade.

Last edited:

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
In no world did the trade work out for us. The draft capital and salary committed to Adams for basically one good season is nowhere near "worked out."

Maybe some of that can be salvaged if he somehow comes back and plays well and helps the Hawks go deep into the playoffs? But sorry, as of now it's one of the worst trades in the NFL in the past decade.
Out of your mind per usual. Him being on the Seahawks has helped and not hindered. More wins than losses. Besides... those picks would have amounted to what? A bunch of assumptions. Keep being mad about nothing. Instead of accepting it worked out. His first season alone amounted to what he is being paid and covers the trade. Easy. As a team they did nothing either year so...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Out of your mind per usual. Him being on the Seahawks has helped and not hindered. More wins than losses. Besides... those picks would have amounted to what? A bunch of assumptions. Keep being mad about nothing. Instead of accepting it worked out. His first season alone amounted to what he is being paid and covers the trade. Easy. As a team they did nothing either year so...

I'm not mad. I'm disappointed.

Please show me one, just one NFL pundit who agrees with you. No one with any respectable football knowledge within or outside the Hawks media or organization thinks the Adams trade is anywhere near a success.

In fact, it's been making the rounds as I said, as one of the worst trades ever.

RiverDog

Reaction score
The reason he played less in the box in 2021 is because he wasn't getting pressure like he was in 2020. When teams saw him lurking around the LOS, they'd account for him.

And I completely disagree that he was "constantly disrupting pass plays". In 2021, our pass defense was ranked 31st. How could he be "constantly disrupting pass plays" when our pass defense was the 2nd worst in the league?

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score

Please show me one, just one NFL pundit who agrees with you. No one with any respectable football knowledge within or outside the Hawks media or organization thinks the Adams trade is anywhere near a success.

In fact, it's been making the rounds as I said, as one of the worst trades ever.

The reason why it hasn't received even more rounds as one of the worst trades ever is because he's still on the roster, and as such, there's still a chance that we can reap some benefits from it.

But at this point, you're exactly right. There is no one outside of Renton who is anything more than a fanboy who feels that the Adams trade was a net plus for us. To this point, it's at least the worst trade of the Pete Carroll regime, if not in all of franchise history.

Last edited:

jamescasey1124

Reaction score

Maybe that is the problem. You look for "pundits", experts or analysts to tell you how to feel and form opinions. I go off of my eye and watching games. Your absolutely braindead if you think I give a shit about a pundits opinion on the Adams trade or how he has played.

NoGain

Reaction score
In hindsight, it was obviously a horrible trade. Even at the time it was an ill-advised trade in terms of the draft capital we gave up for a box safety. To me, the only way that trade was going to be justifiable was if it led to deep playoff runs in the first two seasons he was with us. It didn't. We're just managing the mistake as best we can now.

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
The reason he played less in the box in 2021 is because he wasn't getting pressure like he was in 2020. When teams saw him lurking around the LOS, they'd account for him.

And I completely disagree that he was "constantly disrupting pass plays". In 2021, our pass defense was ranked 31st. How could he be "constantly disrupting pass plays" when our pass defense was the 2nd worst in the league?

https://www.espn.com/nfl/stats/team...rt/netPassingYardsPerGame/dir/desc[/UR [/URL

The whole defensive backfield was terrible. That is a team effort, not just Adams. All of our coverage including lbs were not good. Adams may have been one of the bright spots that year. If he is not in coverage...we lose more than we did. Also, lining up in deeper safety territory has nothing to do with opponents ability to block you or prepare for you if it was already schemed to be deep secondary. At that point teams weren't worried about him blitzing. Hawks d just stop using him in the box as frequently. Not because teams figured him out, because his role changed.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Maybe that is the problem. You look for "pundits", experts or analysts to tell you how to feel and form opinions. I go off of my eye and watching games. Your absolutely braindead if you think I give a shit about a pundits opinion on the Adams trade or how he has played.

Not sure how can go off your eyes for a player who's played in less than 50% of the snaps since he's been here. But you go on with your bad Hawk colored glasses self, you're on an island with this opinion.

Mick063

Reaction score
Could you imagine the thoughts going through Bobby Wagner's head, as he negotiated his own contract, and basically endured the ridiculous notion of being asked to take a pay cut so that Jamaal Adams could get paid instead? I would feel so damn disrespected. I give mad props to BWagz for being an adult about it and coming back home. Mad props indeed. It has elevated my perception of Wagner to a whole new level. He rose above it. I seriously doubt that any other player from that Super Bowl team could have swallowed his pride like that.

If I had my druthers, the Adams deal would have never been done and BWagz would have been given that contract instead. The real boon would have been keeping the draft capital on top of deservedly paying a Hall of Fame, Madden-99-rated, top-100-voted-by-the-players, Ring of Honor Seahawk. Further, this whole argument goes beyond the fact that Wagner still delivers at a high level. This is also about the message sent to the locker room as well as potential free agents throughout the entire league.

Paying Adams instead of Wagner was the dumbest decision of Pete Carroll's entire career and I'm probably the biggest Pete Carroll fanboy on the planet. Seriously. I sincerely hope that Carroll eventually leaves the team entirely on his own terms with another championship to cement his legacy, but damn that was a bonehead move. Carroll earned forgiveness for his mistake with his championship cache, but I hope he learned from his mistake as well.

Last edited:

jamescasey1124

Reaction score
Not sure how can go off your eyes for a player who's played in less than 50% of the snaps since he's been here. But you go on with your bad Hawk colored glasses self, you're on an island with this opinion.
Ok what are we talking about the amount of time he has missed or how well he plays when he is on the field? No I'm not alone. Others know your crazy too! Don't trip.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Ok what are we talking about the amount of time he has missed or how well he plays when he is on the field? No I'm not alone. Others know your crazy too! Don't trip.

You are in the VAST minority. Please show me even one other post by anyone who thinks Adam's been amazing here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Could you imagine the thoughts going through Bobby Wagner's head, as he negotiated his own contract, and basically endured the ridiculous notion of being asked to take a pay cut so that Jamaal Adams could get paid instead? I would feel so damn disrespected. I give mad props to BWagz for being an adult about it and coming back home. Mad props indeed. It has elevated my perception of Wagner to a whole new level. He rose above it. I seriously doubt that any other player from that Super Bowl team could have swallowed his pride like that.

If I had my druthers, the Adams deal would have never been done and BWagz would have been given that contract instead. The real boon would have been keeping the draft capital on top of deservedly paying a Hall of Fame, Madden-99-rated, top-100-voted-by-the-players, Ring of Honor Seahawk. Further, this whole argument goes beyond the fact that Wagner still delivers at a high level. This is also about the message sent to the locker room as well as potential free agents throughout the entire league.

Paying Adams instead of Wagner was the dumbest decision of Pete Carroll's entire career and I'm probably the biggest Pete Carroll fanboy on the planet. Seriously. I sincerely hope that Carroll eventually leaves the team entirely on his own terms with another championship to cement his legacy, but damn that was a bonehead move. Carroll earned forgiveness for his mistake with his championship cache, but I hope he learned from his mistake as well.

This is pretty accurate, Adam's is exactly the reason the Hawks couldn't afford to pay Bobby his 18M last year, or renegotiate to try to keep him.

In hindsight, John and Pete probably should have just cut the cord after 2022, but they held out hope that he'd rebound from the rotator injury.......and with so much draft capital sunk into Adams, they almost had to do it or admit they made a huge mistake.

And you know damn well he was going to hold out if he didn't get his new deal. So don't forget that part.

RiverDog

Reaction score

The whole defensive backfield was terrible. That is a team effort, not just Adams. All of our coverage including lbs were not good. Adams may have been one of the bright spots that year. If he is not in coverage...we lose more than we did. Also, lining up in deeper safety territory has nothing to do with opponents ability to block you or prepare for you if it was already schemed to be deep secondary. At that point teams weren't worried about him blitzing. Hawks d just stop using him in the box as frequently. Not because teams figured him out, because his role changed.
I don't disagree at all, and I won't stop with the secondary. Our whole defense sucked.

But you were arguing that Adams was "constantly disrupting pass plays", which by definition was absolutely not the case as there would be no way that we would have been that bad of a defense, ranked 31st out of 32 against the pass, if Adams was even half as disruptive as you are making him out to be. Adams was horrible in coverage, and I remember much being made about the fact that he had more surgeries with us than he had interceptions.

I see that Pete is trying to convert Adams into some sort of hybrid safety/linebacker. IMO this is an admission that Adams is not well suited for a conventional safety role. They're trying to create a position for him because he's failed at what they had him doing in 2021. It's an attempt to salvage what little they can at what now stands as a total bust of a trade and an even worse decision to re-sign him to an enormous albatross of a contract.

Last edited:

RiverDog

Reaction score

I wasn't too bummed that they didn't resign Bobby. Even though his tackle numbers looked very good, they were grossly inflated because our defense was on the field so much. The more plays your defense has to defend, the more opportunities for tackles.

But you're exactly right about the contrast of letting Bobby go and resigning Adams. Horrible decision. Adams would be gone had we not been horse collared by that contract.