Abraham Lucas or Jake Curhan, who has edge in Right Tackle competition?

nanomoz

Reaction score
I heard that he didn't do too well as guard? He only started to perform after playing as RT?
They were his first snaps in the NFL. I imagine if they projected him at guard he could still get a chance there. If Lucas ends up starting at RT, especially.

chrispy

Reaction score
Seems likely Curhan starts but hopefully Lucas is ready early in the season. I'd predict Curhan plays pre-season as much as QB1 and Lucas plays the majority. Either way, a quality backup OT is a huge benefit and lots of value.

I think there will be a lot to look at around week 9 (I think that's the trade deadline..??). If the team is over-achieving and there's a solid Tackle on the bench (Curhan starts but Lucas is ready or vice-versa) there could be a mid-season trade for a pass-rusher or another role where injury hits. On the other hand, if the team is completely out of the playoffs already, there could be a lot of changes to set up a big draft (trade for picks) including OT. Depth is great/necessary when you're looking deep into the playoffs. When you're "rebuilding" (or not-rebuilding) it's a luxury you can't afford. The trade scenario could apply to some other areas as well and individual players for different reasons.

DanejaHawk

Reaction score
I heard that he didn't do too well as guard? He only started to perform after playing as RT?
It appears, at least to me, to be less about Curhan individually performing better at RT versus G and more about the overall scheme shift that coincided with Curhan taking over for an injured Shell. The difference in the performance of the whole line after Andy Dickerson sort of took the reigns for those last 5 games was pretty palpable. Once the outside zone stretch stuff was on the menu Penny, Curhan, Jackson and even Pocic were feasting. It's like they were all breathing fresh oxygen for the first time.

nwHawk

Reaction score
Long term it would be great if Curhan and Lucas owned the right side.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Its a case of the heart cheering for Curhan, but the brain is for Lucas.
Totally!!!

I was truly jazzed when the team drafted Lucas who I believed was seriously underrated.

Time will tell.

Would love to see the team finally have an OLine that looks and plays solid football.

ivotuk

Reaction score
IIRC, Curhan would have gone higher if not for a health issue that turned out to be nothing.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
IIRC, Curhan would have gone higher if not for a health issue that turned out to be nothing.
This is what I was going to post..He was being talked up as a 1st rounder
before that health scare which was a false alarm..
I'm happy the Hawks have him and may the very best man win.

Smellyman

Reaction score
So far, Lucas has been getting first team snaps at RT.
and Curhan was been at RG a lot where he was projected by many pre draft and performed well there one game. This could the perfect scenario, a nimble pass blocking and reach blocking combo.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
and Curhan was been at RG a lot where he was projected by many pre draft and performed well there one game. This could the perfect scenario, a nimble pass blocking and reach blocking combo.
Won't rotating them tell the other team what we will pass or run?

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
My boy Jake is leading the pack, feels like he will start the season.

Smellyman

Reaction score
My boy Jake is leading the pack, feels like he will start the season.
Until the pads are on a while and preseason games under the belt, this means nothing.

If you want practices to run smoothly and get ALL players getting quality reps you go with the guy who knows the O. Which is why, I believe, Geno has been going with the 1s more. This will change as younger guys start to know the O (or not).

MyrtleHawk

Can I get a hoyyaaa
Reaction score
I feel like Jake will start through at least half of the season, then I expect Lucas to pick it up and it will be a real battle and a good problem to have.

sc85sis

Reaction score
Jake, Abe and Stone have rotated at RT, with Jake also getting reps at guard. We need another one or two guard/C swing guys and we’ll have nice depth at o-line.

sutz

Reaction score
I believe Curhan has the most experience in the system, and it was pretty good experience down the stretch run last season. I'd say that gives him the edge out of the gate. Abe is about as exciting of a RT prospect as you can imagine, though, so I'd say he has a definite chance, especially considering his high draft status. The staff obviously thought highly of him coming out of college.

Own The West

Reaction score
I believe Curhan has the most experience in the system, and it was pretty good experience down the stretch run last season. I'd say that gives him the edge out of the gate. Abe is about as exciting of a RT prospect as you can imagine, though, so I'd say he has a definite chance, especially considering his high draft status. The staff obviously thought highly of him coming out of college.
It may be Curran starts this year at RT, then slides inside and Lucus starts in year 2. Jackson’s dead cap this year is $12M and drops to $3M next. He’ll also be 34, so if the young guys got, that would be the time to cut him. This might be Lucas’ redshirt year.

OP
OP
toffee

toffee

Reaction score
We could potential have four starting caliber young tackles on our roster, we may have a situation in a few years to decide which one to pay? That will be a good problem to have.