2023 QB possibilitys

Rat

Reaction score
I go back and forth on paying Geno, but in my mind, it's either pay Geno or use the #5 on a QB. QBs taken in mid rounds have an extremely low hit rate, unless you want a backup. Russ was the last franchise QB taken in the third round and that was an unusual situation 11 years ago. Before that, you have to go all the way back to Matt Schaub in 2004. Letting Geno go and expecting to find our next guy later in the draft would be foolish. Maybe we could trade up from #20 if someone surprising drops, ala Justin Fields a few years ago.

The FA market is pretty bad, which sucks because it gives Geno more leverage. Tom Brady ain't coming here, zero chance Lamar goes anywhere, and I don't trust Baker, Jimmy G, or Daniel Jones, the latter of whom has an outside shot at the franchise tag, despite his performance against the Eagles. If we re-sign Lock, he better have some damn good competition.

Last edited:

getnasty

Reaction score
Tyler Huntley, Taylor Heinicke, Gardner Minshew, Jarred Stidham are all potenial options.

UK_Seahawk

Reaction score
I'd double dip in the draft.

Take whoever at 5 or Richardson ideally at 20. Then take a later round flyer on BYU's Jaren Hall. Tie Drew Lock or a cheap vet to a contract and let them fight it out. Best man wins.

bileever

Reaction score
I think we'd be lucky if we can sign Geno for $25 million a year. I think the deal is going to be closer to $30 million.

As for Lock, I think we have a decent shot at signing him for a reasonable amount. Hopefully, he likes it here, and feels that he might get a shot at some point in the future. Also, he's not getting a real shot to start anywhere else, just a backup deal with a chance to compete. I think free agent QBs like Brissett, Bridgewater, Baker, Mariota, Mike White, Tannehill (not technically a FA but likely to be released), Darnold, Heinecke and Huntley are all in line ahead of Drew and are likely to get bigger contracts and a more realistic shot at a starting job. I'm not even including FAs like Derek Carr, Daniel Jones, and Jimmy Garappolo. Pete and John are in the minority in their evaluation of Lock.

There's a lot we don't know yet, especially regarding John and Pete's evaluation of the available QBs in the draft. If there's someone they're excited about, that changes the equation. They're going to play that very close to the vest, and we won't have an inkling until the draft is over. There's also a chance they sign one of the available FA QBs as backup instead of Lock. That could be interesting. Anyway, all will soon be revealed.

toffee

Reaction score
Quite sure Geno wants multiyear contract 4years or so. otherwise, don't mind to pay him if it's 2 years?

WarHawks

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more Hooker makes sense with our 35th pick or thereabouts. There are a number of sites projecting him to the Hawks in the 2nd. Unless of course JS thinks one of the top 4 is the next Mahomes.

OP
OP
Chawker

Chawker

Reaction score
I believe drafting a QB at 5 and signing Smith would be a logical move for the Seahawks. With Geno's age, we need to develop a feature QB 1 at some point.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I think we'd be lucky if we can sign Geno for $25 million a year. I think the deal is going to be closer to $30 million.

As for Lock, I think we have a decent shot at signing him for a reasonable amount. Hopefully, he likes it here, and feels that he might get a shot at some point in the future. Also, he's not getting a real shot to start anywhere else, just a backup deal with a chance to compete. I think free agent QBs like Brissett, Bridgewater, Baker, Mariota, Mike White, Tannehill (not technically a FA but likely to be released), Darnold, Heinecke and Huntley are all in line ahead of Drew and are likely to get bigger contracts and a more realistic shot at a starting job. I'm not even including FAs like Derek Carr, Daniel Jones, and Jimmy Garappolo. Pete and John are in the minority in their evaluation of Lock.

There's a lot we don't know yet, especially regarding John and Pete's evaluation of the available QBs in the draft. If there's someone they're excited about, that changes the equation. They're going to play that very close to the vest, and we won't have an inkling until the draft is over. There's also a chance they sign one of the available FA QBs as backup instead of Lock. That could be interesting. Anyway, all will soon be revealed.
Yeah, I'm not buying that "Pete and John" being in a "minority" in evaluating Lock, I mean who else has had the last 10 months or so to see almost all his upsides/downsides and whether or not they think he can run the Waldron packages?
I think a lot of people get caught up in the 'Flavor of The Day', but, when it comes to actually KNOWING what upsides of other Quarterbacks that JUST SO HAPPEN TO BE AVAILABLE, and what the cost is going to be to take a chance on someone outside the desired measurables that Pete & John are looking for.

toffee

Reaction score
Pete and John, these two had good QB record. These two powered Geno and his second coming, without Pete and John, Geno still on some team's bench. Afterall, John found Wilson, and Pete made it work. John scouted Mahomes and Allen, before they were Mahome and Allen, of course the idea was dead on arrival with Wilson. Before the Hawks, Pete found a string of QBs in USC and made them stars. Now sure about you guys on dot net, I totally accept those two knew more about QB than I do lol,