2018 Seattle Mariners regular season thread

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":2hlub3rw said:
Shanegotyou11":2hlub3rw said:
Our offense is awesome. Please get pitching. What a game.

While I agree that our offense is pretty good, they were just spinning their wheel for the majority of the game. They seem to do this against the better pitchers until we get into their bullpens. There was a stat last night that the Mariners score over 34% of their runs in the 7th inning on. That is not a horrible statistic, but it emphasizes the need for better starting pitching from our guys. A percentage of those runs come in losses. If we get better starting pitching to keep the games closer, then the Mariners are a legit contender.

The offense has also faced the toughest pitching of any team so far in this yr. I believe the stat was 33% were top 20 era and 25% was top 10 era. The offense is also rated #6 in MLB. The pitching is rated 26th in MLB.

All im asking for is the pitching to be in middle of the pack and we have a shot. I mean we play in safeco which is a pitchers park. If this was the kingdome id understand.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3r3tkogo said:
TransGenderHawkFan":3r3tkogo said:
Shanegotyou11":3r3tkogo said:

While I agree that our offense is pretty good, they were just spinning their wheel for the majority of the game. They seem to do this against the better pitchers until we get into their bullpens. There was a stat last night that the Mariners score over 34% of their runs in the 7th inning on. That is not a horrible statistic, but it emphasizes the need for better starting pitching from our guys. A percentage of those runs come in losses. If we get better starting pitching to keep the games closer, then the Mariners are a legit contender.
It's very hard to have both-good hitting with good starting pitchers..
We had great starting pitching for 4-5 years with lousy hitting and now it is reversed.
I think the teams plan is get to 5th and let the bullpen do the rest.
It has worked but then you get Diaz slumping lately or Nicaso ect..It happens
This is what we have unless we get more scraps like Harvey ect and that doen't
mean much as he wasn't doing anything just like our bottom starters

I fully agree with thise however the top teams usually have both. A great defense or great pitching staff will slow down a top Offense. (Just like in NFL) The issue is when we face a Houston team or another elite staff with hitters is we are missing the elite staff that they have. So in those type of matchups our offense isnt going to score 7-8 runs a game. Itll be 2-4 at best.

Our #1 pitcher has era in low 4s. Id bet most teams that are good have starter in low 3s.

I did a research a game ago when angels won 5-0. Teams with our pitching staff or worse(we were #24 at time) were a combined 49-117. They were all bottom feeders. We are blessed to have this O.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":12k40ce7 said:
TransGenderHawkFan":12k40ce7 said:
Shanegotyou11":12k40ce7 said:

The offense has also faced the toughest pitching of any team so far in this yr. I believe the stat was 33% were top 20 era and 25% was top 10 era. The offense is also rated #6 in MLB. The pitching is rated 26th in MLB.

All im asking for is the pitching to be in middle of the pack and we have a shot. I mean we play in safeco which is a pitchers park. If this was the kingdome id understand.

Funny you mention the pitchers park as Felix is serving up batting practice in the 2nd inning.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
TransGenderHawkFan":oeddq3up said:
Shanegotyou11":oeddq3up said:
TransGenderHawkFan":oeddq3up said:
Shanegotyou11":oeddq3up said:

Funny you mention the pitchers park as Felix is serving up batting practice in the 2nd inning.

Yep. Makes it worse.

TransGenderHawkFan

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":3ar6hdkb said:
TransGenderHawkFan":3ar6hdkb said:
Shanegotyou11":3ar6hdkb said:
TransGenderHawkFan":3ar6hdkb said:

Yep. Makes it worse.

Zunino failed to get in front of a pitch letting a K victim a free pass to first. Next pitch was a double and that K victim scored. Felix just got ran after walking a batter. Felix has given up all three runs to the bottom half of the Angel's order.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Ohtani lighting up the M's at the plate and on the mound. Trout is insane. Altuve is too. The AL West is going to be very tough for many years to come.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Crizilla":12i9dty9 said:
Ohtani lighting up the M's at the plate and on the mound. Trout is insane. Altuve is too. The AL West is going to be very tough for many years to come.
Ohtani was helped out today a lot by the M’s hitters swinging at his offspeed pitches in the dirt.
They scout it, and learn from it, they’ll have a better idea of how to attack him. Laying off the low offspeed stuff today and the M’s are still in the game, well at least until Lawrence comes in.

DJrmb

Reaction score
Wow! Amazing game by the whole team really. Great defense but Paxton was ON yet again! Incredible no hitter!!!

sutz

Reaction score
m0ng0":2qq67qxu said:
Did Paxton just throw a no no ?
Yep. 9 innings, 99 pitches. Only 7 K's but the defense was flat out sparkling.

:2thumbs:

Crizilla

Reaction score
So far a triple play, no hitter,.....why not the playoffs? Congrats Paxton.

;)

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/MLB/status/994029370971959296[/tweet][tweet]https://twitter.com/MLBStatoftheDay/status/994036798304157696[/tweet]

sutz

Reaction score
If you missed it, ROOT is airing the replay in just a few minutes.

Helluva game!

Jville

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up. I've scheduled it for recording :2thumbs:
[urltargetblank]https://www.mlb.com/gameday/mariners-vs-blue-jays/2018/05/08/529946#game_state=final,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=529946[/urltargetblank]

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Just watched the highlight of every out on mlb.com. Some incredible defense helped a lot bit man, still throwing 100 in the ninth. Paxton is on fire.

And Zunino, as long as he's playing D like he is, helping the pitchers like he is, and hitting those bombs, he can hit under .200 and Im happy for now.

XxXdragonXxX

Reaction score
Crizilla":1djfw6rz said:
So far a triple play, no hitter,.....why not the playoffs? Congrats Paxton.

;)

That wild card race looks pretty tough. AL Central giving up all the easy wins. Hopefully Cleveland picks it up since we dont play them again but the rest of the WC contenders do.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
This is and the dominating 16 strikeout performance is why I was arguing with someone here that you don’t trade Paxton.
A power lefty that can throw 100mph on occasion that can dominate when healthy. A rare thing.

That diving play that Seager made on that ball that Pillar hit was flat out sick (in a good way).