2014 Seattle Mariners

davidonmi

Reaction score
I am also cautiously optimistic on ackley. I think he can breakout this year but he needs to show me.
A guy being written off is Saunders and I think with better coaching he could also improve. His problem has always been approach, he takes way too many pitches and doesn't attack the ball

CPHawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3ryhp2jp said:
Blitzer88":3ryhp2jp said:
Nice to see Cano speaking out. And he is right! The M's need another righty bat.
I
He's right but wrong for saying it... This isn't the NBA

Normally I would agree, but the Ms brass has needed a kick in the pants since Lou left.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
davidonmi":3hnl2odi said:
I am also cautiously optimistic on ackley. I think he can breakout this year but he needs to show me.
A guy being written off is Saunders and I think with better coaching he could also improve. His problem has always been approach, he takes way too many pitches and doesn't attack the ball

Honestly, I'm more worried about Ackely as an outfielder than anything else. I think he will come good at the plate (atleast wont be awful).

Almonte and now James Jones seem to be making a push to also take an outfield spot (or two). A little light in the bat, but both can cover ground out there.

Atradees

Reaction score
Felix Hernandez remains the club’s No. 1 starter. He is followed by Erasmo Ramirez, James Paxton, Roenis Elias and the recently acquired Chris Young.

Young looked good! This rotation has good potential. I will risk getting excited. Miller, Ackley, Cano, Elias, Romero, it could be a good team.

All you need is good pitchin.....

Hart has not looked good. Sadness.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
davidonmi":lwsp7aat said:
That and his swing gets wayyyyyy to long and loopy. When he is hitting well his swing is shorter. Unfortunately that long loopy swing is his default setting not the exception.

davidonmi

Reaction score
That too. He needs to do a lot but the talent is there, he still doesn't have his hands back and his swing is still too long.
I would cut bait l

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2vhzr6zf said:
The Ms are mathematically out of the postseason already.

well... this year they are projected to be within a couple games of the top spot.

It should be an interesting year for the Ms and their fans. If they can survive April, get their rotation in order and get a bit more from certain young players (Ackely, Zunino, Franklin... and sure, Smoak) and the continuing development of Seager and Miller we could be watching meaningul baseball in August.

Subzero717

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1d0mvfeu said:
CALIHAWK1":1d0mvfeu said:

well... this year they are projected to be within a couple games of the top spot.

It should be an interesting year for the Ms and their fans. If they can survive April, get their rotation in order and get a bit more from certain young players (Ackely, Zunino, Franklin... and sure, Smoak) and the continuing development of Seager and Miller we could be watching meaningul baseball in August.

Thats the same song and dance going into almost every season. The only diffence between this year is the fact that they have Cano. He is batting in a line up with no one around him so, I dont expect much of a difference. On top of that having Iwkuma and Walker out isnt helping matters. Its the same old sorry arsed Ms.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2mfqtrwl said:
Uncle Si":2mfqtrwl said:
CALIHAWK1":2mfqtrwl said:

Thats the same song and dance going into almost every season. The only diffence between this year is the fact that they have Cano. He is batting in a line up with no one around him so, I dont expect much of a difference. On top of that having Iwkuma and Walker out isnt helping matters. Its the same old sorry arsed Ms.

well its just not the same old song and dance.... but you're welcome to believe it is. A better Seager, Ackely, Iwa than was projected last year, including better options such as Hart and LoMo, high projections for Miller, and ofcourse Cano.

This teams projected win total is far closer to playoff contention than it has been in years. Aware of whose missing, thus the "surviving April" part.

Dont quite care if you're on board or not. But it doesnt take much to see the difference right now
Im not saying we're going to make the playoffs. but theirs obviously reasons to be a bit more excited than anything this team has put out over the last few years

bigtrain21

Reaction score
I say this as one of the most disgruntled fans around so it's not like I just am blindly hopeful but I am looking forward to the Mariners season for the first time in years and it really has nothing to do with Cano. Some of the young pitching we have is finally going to reach the rotation and we have a young nucleus of bats that are starting to mature as well.

I wish we would add one more bat. I would like to add Morales but it seems like he is willing to wait until June 1st to sign with someone so we don't get a draft pick.

I go into this year just wanting to see them grow and compete this year and next year I expect them to win. If it happens a year early it would be great, but isn't going to determine whether I enjoy the season.

Subzero717

Reaction score
What is supposed to change to give hope? Pointing to guys that were supposed to hit last year and didnt as stepping uo this year isnt realistic.

bigtrain21

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":2xhcoxpg said:
What is supposed to change to give hope? Pointing to guys that were supposed to hit last year and didnt as stepping uo this year isnt realistic.

No one has been a bigger critic of the Mariners than me, trust me. I have been pissed at them mainly because of Bill Bavasi who set back the organization for years with stupid contracts. They Mariners spent money but they didn't spend it wisely. My least favorite was the incredibly stupid 4 year 48 million dollar contract to Carlos Silva which still boggles my mind. There was a huge mess to clean up.

The reason I feel promise is we are adding 2 promising pitchers to our rotation this year in Walker and Paxton. Both have been in the top 25 prospects in all of baseball. When you add them to Felix and Iwakuma along with Ramirez it is not that bad of a rotation. Definitely should be fun to watch and Paxton and Walker have electric stuff.

On offense we added Cano which should help quite a bit and we should get a better Seager, Ackley, Miller, & Zunino since they wull all be a year older. It has the makings of a cheap nucleus even when you include Cano's salary since the other 4 are cheap.

They should be significantly more fun to watch, that's for sure. I don't blame you for being down on them, but there is some promising things going on and I don't just say that as a biased fan. I really have been down on the Mariners just as much as you have.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":6f1x6mo4 said:

And the top 2 starters in the AL...and Cano. And a better Seager, a very improved Miller, a better bullpen..

I mean have you paid much attention to their off season and spring training or is this just an annual "Ms suck" ritual for you?

davidonmi

Reaction score
Love the optimism uncle si, there will be plenty of time to complain, but for now let's just enjoy the beginning of spring and a blank slate.
At least this year there isn't a clear cut favorite in the west due to injuries to the a's and the rangers

mbtitleist

Reaction score
Mike Trout continues his dominance over King Felix with a two run home run in the bottom of the first. I am not looking forward to playing against him for the next decade.