$20 million plus for Clowney

HawkGA

Reaction score
xray":8w4gybhg said:
I wish he would stay too ; but $20-22 million ? If he decides to stay ; I wonder how many years he wants and how much guaranteed $ he would ask . This could be a very expensive commitment for the long term .

I assume he's getting more than $20 mil from somebody. My guess is his number will be closer to the mid-twenties. Maybe not 25, but closer to 25 than to 20.

massari

Reaction score
We should've signed Phillip Rivers instead of Wilson because he's cheaper, just think what they could've gotten with that extra few million!

jeremiah

Reaction score
HawkGA":1wrco7qw said:
xray":1wrco7qw said:
I wish he would stay too ; but $20-22 million ? If he decides to stay ; I wonder how many years he wants and how much guaranteed $ he would ask . This could be a very expensive commitment for the long term .

I assume he's getting more than $20 mil from somebody. My guess is his number will be closer to the mid-twenties. Maybe not 25, but closer to 25 than to 20.

Too bad too sad, but sorry Clowney. Frankly you are too old and broken down to get that much. I always ask, what would the Patriots do? Answer is, bring in youth and fill holes with cheaper rentals.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
jeremiah":3k4h8c1m said:
HawkGA":3k4h8c1m said:
xray":3k4h8c1m said:

Too bad too sad, but sorry Clowney. Frankly you are too old and broken down to get that much. I always ask, what would the Patriots do? Answer is, bring in youth and fill holes with cheaper rentals.

Too old? He’s 26 bruh

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":2xiwk0id said:
jeremiah":2xiwk0id said:
HawkGA":2xiwk0id said:
xray":2xiwk0id said:

Too old? He’s 26 bruh

Sorry, turned 27 3 days ago...lol

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
Cyrus12":1xswnvwt said:
My biggest concern is his health. A lot of money to pay a guy that has had some injury history.

Same he has some injury problems and Mack is making almost 24mil a year . So were looking at 25mil a year for Clowney .

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1zud80lk said:
LoneHawkFan":1zud80lk said:
jeremiah":1zud80lk said:
HawkGA":1zud80lk said:

Too old? He’s 26 bruh

Sorry, turned 27 3 days ago...lol

From what team context matters.

Largent80

Reaction score
Once again, productive DE's or EDGE rushers are a premium and they get paid. If he doesn't sign here then the Hawks may need 3 dynamic new players on the DL.

They can free up 10 mil by cutting Wright, another 3 with Dixon.

Some heads are gonna roll.

OP
OP
xray

xray

Reaction score
The more I think about this I doubt that the Hawks will pay Clowney the $ he will likely ask . Most likely they will let him walk just like they did with Clark . If they can't keep him ; hopefully Schneider can get lucky in free agency and the draft .

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":2yf4k37q said:
What most people are missing is that we can afford it. Judging his sack ability by 2019 isn't conclusive given the total lack of other pass-rushing threats. Get Clowney and a couple more guys going and watch him blossom.

We need someone of his caliber, and they aren't coming cheap. Someone will overpay for Quinn and Fowler same as someone will for Clowney.

You mean like JJ Watt?

Even with Watt he has NEVER even hit double digit sacks in 6 seasons and has averaged 5.5 sacks so scratch that argument. :177692:

I think he is worth 16-18 MAX given his injury history, and that means I let him go because someone will pay more than that.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Lawrence in Dallas got 21M per year, so that range is just fine with me if you wanna go to 22M so Clowney can brag about being the highest paid DE..............which seems to be very important to all these guys, to be the NEXT biggest contract.

4-5 year deals can be front loaded for the first two years when we have a ton o cap space, so it's fine. Then if Clowney doesn't produce in years 3-5, cut him, cap hit won't be that high.

Bottom line is unless John's going to go find another Clowney type deal in the off season, then we desperately need this signing. We actually need this AND another DE, so IMO it's not even a question. This line was bad with him, it'll be downright abysmal without him.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
People are WAY too obsessed with sack numbers. This guy brings so much more to the table. He gets double teamed all the time, he creates so much pressure on the defense that it helps other guys on the line. IF they can get him signed and another guy on the opposite side who can get to the QB? yes please.
You don't let guys like Clowney go, pay the man.

Seymour

Reaction score
I'm not obsessed with sacks, but they sure can be game changing plays! My point is, help shows it will not raise his numbers.

Like I said...."given the injury history" (21 missed games over 6 years and just 1 FULL season) I go 18 MAX.

Last year everyone freaked out we let Clark go for 22M, then we find Clowney from under $8M. :roll:

Seymour

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":gcjb9qqd said:
Nah, it's not our money. 21 a year, make it happen.

So last year we paid Clowney $8M and our defense was horrid, this year we pay him $21M and expect it to improve?

Explain please.

Correct, not our money, but our team. Less to spend elsewhere on "our team".

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Just my opinion that he's worth the big contract he is going to get. He fits her and he's a flat out game changer.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
First...injury history. EVERY guy playing NFL football is going to deal with injury at some point. That's why the average career is about 4 years. Thing is these guys are exceptional specimens. They get better care and heal better than the average joe. His injury history is not lengthy, or severe, given the torque and speed at which he plays.
I'm good with 22M.
As I have said many times football is a TEAM game. No one guy is good enough to deserve all the money because no one guy can get the job done without sufficient support from other positions. So if we pay him 22 and it costs us another 15 for 2 other DEs, we've used up more than half out available money and have at least 6 other positions of need to deal with.
Needing some Schneider magic is an understatement. But if anyone can pull it off it's Schneider and Carroll.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Plenty on here will likely jump in and tell you that Pete and John have no clue what they are doing. It's like clockwork.
And a few others will tell you that Russ shouldn't get what he got, his contract ruined it for the rest of the team, he's ruining Pete's career or vice versa blah blah blah.
Let 'em do their jobs and see how it pans out. Every front office is gonna' have hit or misses, it happens.
I like the thought of them having a huge chunk of cap space, it's been a very long time since they had this kind of coin to work with.

Honestly, I can see both sides of it. I want them to re-sign him big time. But if they don't, hopefully they use the money for another beast on the D Line. I just go by what my eyes see, and I saw a guy who creates a ton of problems for an offense. He is one of the best lineman in the NFL, period. And he seems to love it here.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seymour":1g9ux9zl said:
SoulfishHawk":1g9ux9zl said:
Nah, it's not our money. 21 a year, make it happen.

So last year we paid Clowney $8M and our defense was horrid, this year we pay him $21M and expect it to improve?

Explain please.

Correct, not our money, but our team. Less to spend elsewhere on "our team".

Good to great D-lines have;

- two good or one great edge rusher
- two good or one great inside tackle
- 2-3 good to great versatile three techs

So no Clowney doesn't come close to fixing our D-line problems, but please explain to me how we're better off saving the money with no Clowney then we are with him as a piece to getting the D-line back to where it needs to be.

If we can get a couple of the younger healthier dominate FA's? Then I'm fine with that, but this thread is about Clowney. So yes for me........unless like I said we're in the mix for getting someone else. If we're not? Then god help us going into camp next July with the stiffs we've got now and no Clowney.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Pay the man, he deserves it. Just my own opinion. He is a game changer on a line that have very little of that.

Latest posts