1st Round - 27th pick Jordyn Brooks LB Texas Tech

Teahawks

Reaction score
My buddy and I do a big draft party each year since 2012, really make a day of it with contests and mocks and such. We always try to predict the Hawks pick, giving ourselves 10 picks a piece, and never come close.

Gut reactions: The last two or three years, as we've watched each other's faces react (my wife has had to see this too), and our initial reactions are always letdown and confusion. Throwing arms up in the air, faceplam, etc.

This year I will say it happened again, but not nearly as bad as Collier and Penny reactions. There was shock, then a little intrigue, then coming to terms, then rationalizing (am I just describing the stages of grieving? Lol).

Overall I'm giving the pick a B- because I think we're in a SB push window this year, and I don't know if this position will have an instant impact unless they cut KJ. But, we'll see!

jeremiah

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":3kd3we6o said:
TheLegendOfBoom":3kd3we6o said:
Patrick Queen is more athletic than Brooks.

Did y’all see Queen play? He drops back into coverage and LSU makes linebackers!

Smh at Pete Carroll and Schneider.

Reach.

Brooks was a second/third round player.

Queen is 6ft 229 Brooks is 6ft 240 . Queen played at LSU he had better talent around him making him look good he was a one year starter . Queen has shorter arms when you really break it down Brooks checks more boxes.

Brooks cannot drop and cover...he is a limited player. I hope they didn't sheet the bed, but I think they did.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/DanHellie/status/1253528271594983424[/tweet]

Atradees

Reaction score
225lb "Mikes" usually dont last. I am surprised we took a LB. I like his arms. I hope we can grab a DE with juice still. He tackles just like Bobby.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
Atradees":17n29iek said:
225lb "Mikes" usually dont last. I am surprised we took a LB. I like his arms. I hope we can grab a DE with juice still. He tackles just like Bobby.

I was noticing the tackling form -- Hawk tackles, wide reach, wrap up, roll using body weight to down the opponent, safe, but brutally efficient.

Jville

Reaction score
[tweet]https://twitter.com/RedRaiderSports/status/1253534004348891138[/tweet]

xray

Reaction score
The transition from college ball to the pros is brutal reality for most rookies ; even for 1st round picks . Brooks might be a stud or a dud when he puts on big boy pads . Nobody really knows at this point . Educated guesswork .

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Northwest Seahawk":2shqkzfn said:
Well they better be right because the consensus was Patrick Queen was a top 5 LB and they passed on him and a few others for Brooks . Now Brooks was on the list of top ten LB's this draft but he was in the bottom half of the top ten available of most scouts. So while I still think we got a really good LB and I do think LB was a serious need I do think they should have taken Queen after taking a closer look at this decision . So for those that say Patrick Queen should have been the pick there if taking a LB at 27 maybe they should have I still think Brooks is a good player though. For what it's worth Patrick Mahomes knows Brooks was at Texas Tech in 2016 he says the Brooks was a steal congratulated the Seahawks on the pick.

Queen is a coverage LB from what I understand. I think the Seahawks see the league gradually becoming going back to the run, and having elite linebackers now is actually the more scarce asset. That plus fast quick LB.

The league is actually shifting back towards run. The pass heavy league talk isn't really based entirely in reality. All the old elite QBs are really nearly done: Big Ben is 38, Brady is 43, Brees is 41, Rivers is 38, Rodgers 36. And then there are a lot of 1st to 3rd year QBs that haven't yet really proven themselves to be elite passers. Then there are the running QBs like Lamar Jackson.

The only truly elite passing QBs now are Mahommes & Wilson. Jackson is great because he's dynamic and offers a different style, he's not really known for his passing even though it was very good last year. The league is actually a lot less efficient right now in QB play, which means teams will go back to the run a lot more. You need great linebackers when that happens.

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
jeremiah":39tozz3w said:
Northwest Seahawk":39tozz3w said:
TheLegendOfBoom":39tozz3w said:
Patrick Queen is more athletic than Brooks.

Did y’all see Queen play? He drops back into coverage and LSU makes linebackers!

Smh at Pete Carroll and Schneider.

Reach.

Brooks was a second/third round player.

Queen is 6ft 229 Brooks is 6ft 240 . Queen played at LSU he had better talent around him making him look good he was a one year starter . Queen has shorter arms when you really break it down Brooks checks more boxes.

Brooks cannot drop and cover...he is a limited player. I hope they didn't sheet the bed, but I think they did.

Yeah but look at how many fast speedy running QBs there are now in the NFL. You need fast linebackers who can tackel well to combat Jackson, Watson, Murray, Mahomes, etc. The trend is actually not in pass coverage, it's in being able to match speed with speed.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
I'm curious why people keep slotting him as the Mike. He seems like a good fit at Will, Will is where we have the biggest LB need right now, and I don't see how any rookie could effectively step in and make the Mike calls after a truncated off-season.

Maybe he takes over the Mike after a year or two, but I think he could make a big impact for us right away as the Will.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
I still think we needed a safety. Desperately.

Was shocked we didn't get one, but LB was a need.

Usually when you see a team draft a guy X because he reminds them of Y (a former or current player), it rarely works out. There is only one Russell Wilson, one Marshawn Lynch, or one Kam Chancellor. I have seen a number of teams make mistakes bringing in guys that 'looked' like someone else but never panned out. So the Wagner comparison doesn't get me excited.

But

How many Seahawk fans even expected them to USE a 1st round pick? Most of us are almost conditioned to either not expect a pick or not expect it to turn into anything. Given that, the handwringing is odd.

I am more shocked we got a player in the 1st round at all.

We will wait to see on this one but it doesn't upset me like the Collier pick did. At least this guy can be a contributing player in an area of need, we needed help at LB.

More of a B or C grade than an A or F though. So the negative reaction is puzzling. We get most of our good players in the later rounds. 1st round almost had become an afterthought.

toffee

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":1dquftwr said:
I still think we needed a safety. Desperately.

Was shocked we didn't get one, but LB was a need.

Usually when you see a team draft a guy X because he reminds them of Y (a former or current player), it rarely works out. There is only one Russell Wilson, one Marshawn Lynch, or one Kam Chancellor. I have seen a number of teams make mistakes bringing in guys that 'looked' like someone else but never panned out. So the Wagner comparison doesn't get me excited.

But

How many Seahawk fans even expected them to USE a 1st round pick? Most of us are almost conditioned to either not expect a pick or not expect it to turn into anything. Given that, the handwringing is odd.

I am more shocked we got a player in the 1st round at all.

We will wait to see on this one but it doesn't upset me like the Collier pick did. At least this guy can be a contributing player in an area of need, we needed help at LB.

More of a B or C grade than an A or F though. So the negative reaction is puzzling. We get most of our good players in the later rounds. 1st round almost had become an afterthought.
DE ain’t an area of need? If courier delivered 5 sacks or 10 hurries, wouldn’t our defense be better and less urgent need for DE help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Uncle Si

Reaction score
There are really good Safeties, Dtackles, WRs, Olinemen , and two good RBs left for rounds 2 and 3. Can see them going BPA with one of the 2nds and trading down into the 3rd with the other

hieroglyphics

Reaction score
Also wondering if this year was just harder to pull off these trades. They may have had offers, but the urgency for other teams to trade up may not have been there, especially because other GMs maybe not feeling as confident about their decisions to trade up to get players. I'm thinking the Seahawks probably really tried to trade down to the early 2nd round to get Brooks, but instead the offers weren't there or weren't great, and they just went with their guy 15-20 picks earlier than they hoped.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
They could see him at SAM role vacated by Kendricks. Kendricks isn't signed yet and Barton wasn't up to speed as his replacement. Brooks is faster than Barton so he may be the replacement there. Usually it's the SAM that also rushes the qb (Kendricks did that quite a bit). Maybe they feel Brooks is versatile enough to do that too.

morgulon1

Reaction score
Maelstrom787":ajnamjs1 said:
toffee":ajnamjs1 said:
Maelstrom787":ajnamjs1 said:
Elemas":ajnamjs1 said:
The fans don't have to be experts with draft analysis. There's plenty of scouting reports out there. There's plenty of resources and one has to use their best judgement in trusting a source. That trust is built over time. Everyone gets it wrong at some point.

In my opinion, JS and PC are slowly eroding that trust. Sure, they are experts. Sure, they know what they like. Sure, they thought they could convert projects like Flowers similarly to what they did for Sherman. Sure, in some instances, it's worked great. But, let's be honest, their recent years first round picks have left many scratching their heads.

If you have multiple reports and a general OVERALL consensus that player A is better, rated higher, etc...than Player B and you select the lower rated player, YOU ARE REACHING. Sometimes it works out....sometimes it doesn't.

If they were absolutely intent on taking a LB here, they should've drafted Queen just like they should've drafted Chubb just like they should've drafted Sweat just like they should've drafted.....

Assuming that they target an Edge within the next two picks, I'm going to laugh (more like cry) when they get cute and think they can nab a solid RB in later rounds.

The only pick that made me scratch my head more than taking Brooks over Queen is GB's. I guess we have that going for us.

Absolutely hate this crap argument.

Literally an endorsement of drafting purely based on the internets consensus best available at the position.

If you weren't scratching your head at the Raiders pick, that's interesting. He wasn't the consensus best available, so that's an unforgivable reach too. Conversely, you should be fine with Green Bay's selection, Jordan Love was the consensus best quarterback available, so its ok!

Plenty of sources had Brooks rising into this range, CBS had him going 28th. I am confident Brooks was gone at 33 to Cincinnati, which I've been saying, and that's now backed up by info from Trey Wingo and Dave Lapham. Brooks checks more boxes for Seattle than Queen.
How so? Like to know why our boy check more boxes than queen?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brooks is a 4 year all conference player. Queen is a 9 game starter.

Brooks is a better run defender, with a worse defensive line.

Queen is 229 lbs. Brooks is a solid 240, with longer arms.

Brooks has the same speed despite being actual linebacker size.

Not sure about Queen, but Brooks has positive leadership qualities and is a versatile quick learner, which is a specific focus for prospects this year per PC/JS.

Brooks haters * *crickets**

reddmmann

Reaction score
Crizilla":27wa9ucf said:
I'm liking this pick. Most people had Brooks a 2nd/3rd rounder but Pete and John see more stuff than the average analyst.

"Texas Tech head coach Matt Wells called Jordyn Brooks the "next Bobby Wagner" which he would know since he coached Wagner at Utah State"

Gary Patterson(TCU head coach) was singing the praises of LJ Collier. I do not think a player's coach gives the most unbiased opinions..

reddmmann

Reaction score
Seahwkgal":fpate49d said:
What a bunch of crybaby Negative Nancys. :177692:

After Rashad Penny and LJ Collier, you must understand fans' skepticism? :?

flmmkrz

Reaction score
reddmmann":1i07kmnw said:
Crizilla":1i07kmnw said:
I'm liking this pick. Most people had Brooks a 2nd/3rd rounder but Pete and John see more stuff than the average analyst.

"Texas Tech head coach Matt Wells called Jordyn Brooks the "next Bobby Wagner" which he would know since he coached Wagner at Utah State"

Gary Patterson(TCU head coach) was singing the praises of LJ Collier. I do not think a player's coach gives the most unbiased opinions..

Coaches are biased but there is something to seeing both players day in day out and saying they remind you of each other that has to carry more weight than just a coach picking a rando superstar and saying he's like him.

CamanoIslandJQ

Reaction score
NOTE: This post has been deleted 5/22/20, this comes after multiple unprovoked attacks on me by acer1240. I will never post here again. This site has officially gone to hell & I'll never return.