EDIT: Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate....

ivotuk

Reaction score
AgentDib":30xqfa90 said:
I guess as long as you link an article you can pretend it says whatever you want and nobody will bother to check?

Pete Carroll may have said the exact same thing as Tomlin did if asked. Of course defensive minded head coaches want to figure out how to stop the read option. The only difference is then everybody would be talking about how wise Pete is rather than how lame another head coach is.

Tomlin said he was going to "eliminate the read option." That is boastful and imaho, ignorant. I think it's here to stay and will become one of many variations on the offense. It may not always be a significant part of an offense, out certainly isn't for the Seahawks.

And I agree with the poster above, Tomlin inherited a Superbowl contender with an elite defense. He stool has a lot to prove.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
razor150":5putz5ce said:
Tomlin says nothing about the Seahawks or Wilson. Calls the read option a fad, which I agree with, and he looks forward to stopping and eliminating it. The only thing that what he said has anything to do with Wilson is that the read option is apart of our offense. Oh the horror.

IMO, the read option is a great wrinkle to add to your offense during a game, but it is an option that if relied to heavily on is going to get your QB hurt. Defenses will adjust to it just like they did for the Wildcat, so it is better not to make it a staple of your offense anyways.

According to the original poster that must mean I want Wilson cut.

It's not that simple. Comparing the Wildcat to the read option doesn't wash. You can't just say "defenses will adjust" in a vacuum...because they still need to have the right kind of players to implement the adjustment. That's more important than schematically designing something.

And FYI, it's not like defenses didn't try to adjust or plan for it from about the midpoint of last season. They had plenty of film and chances to stop it, and we still steamrolled teams for it. The Rams were definitely the best at defending it down the stretch, and they have the right kind of defense for it.

However, our version of the read option will evolve and take a new shape with Harvin in the mix. If teams spend so much time and energy worrying about the read option, we will kill them with other facets of our offense.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Tomlin isn't wrong. There will probably never be a time when more than a handful of guys can run a good option/pistol look.

We faced it three times last year and our defense killed it. The template for stopping it is already out there.

razor150

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2y87c5qx said:
razor150":2y87c5qx said:
Tomlin says nothing about the Seahawks or Wilson. Calls the read option a fad, which I agree with, and he looks forward to stopping and eliminating it. The only thing that what he said has anything to do with Wilson is that the read option is apart of our offense. Oh the horror.

IMO, the read option is a great wrinkle to add to your offense during a game, but it is an option that if relied to heavily on is going to get your QB hurt. Defenses will adjust to it just like they did for the Wildcat, so it is better not to make it a staple of your offense anyways.

It's not that simple. Comparing the Wildcat to the read option doesn't wash. You can't just say "defenses will adjust" in a vacuum...because they still need to have the right kind of players to implement the adjustment. That's more important than schematically designing something.

And FYI, it's not like defenses didn't try to adjust or plan for it from about the midpoint of last season. They had plenty of film and chances to stop it, and we still steamrolled teams for it. The Rams were definitely the best at defending it down the stretch, and they have the right kind of defense for it.

However, our version of the read option will evolve and take a new shape with Harvin in the mix. If teams spend so much time and energy worrying about the read option, we will kill them with other facets of our offense.

The Miami Dolphins got into the playoffs and had a great record all because of the Wildcat. It wasn't as if the teams the Dolphins beat weren't trying to stop it either. I will freely admit this isn't quite an apples to apples comparison, but the comparison isn't that outlandish either. We still see versions of the Wildcat in offenses today, which will be the read options future. IMO, the Redskins were last years Dolphins.

The Rams were the best at defending it likely because they faced the 3 teams that used it, which gave them more experience defending it then anybody else. Defensive Coordinators through out the league right now are watching game film to see what worked and what didn't, with the Rams being required viewing material.

HawksSoc

Reaction score
AgentDib":3faiuw74 said:
I guess as long as you link an article you can pretend it says whatever you want and nobody will bother to check?

Thank you, was going to post the same thing, he said nothing of the sort, he doesn't want to eliminate Russ, nor teams that use it, just the concept itself as he doesn't believe it has staying power. Maybe fix the title broskie ;)

Blitzer88

Reaction score
OH well, let him try and stop Russell. Russell is way more than just a runner thats for sure.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
razor150":1bks2es2 said:
FlyingGreg":1bks2es2 said:
razor150":1bks2es2 said:

The Miami Dolphins got into the playoffs and had a great record all because of the Wildcat. It wasn't as if the teams the Dolphins beat weren't trying to stop it either. I will freely admit this isn't quite an apples to apples comparison, but the comparison isn't that outlandish either. We still see versions of the Wildcat in offenses today, which will be the read options future. IMO, the Redskins were last years Dolphins.

The Rams were the best at defending it likely because they faced the 3 teams that used it, which gave them more experience defending it then anybody else. Defensive Coordinators through out the league right now are watching game film to see what worked and what didn't, with the Rams being required viewing material.

...and we will roll out wrinkles and variations from the way we ran it last season as well.

Our offensive flexibility is key. We can pound the rock, throw short, throw deep, feature the tight end, move Harvin all over the place to create formation mismatches, throw screens...we can run the pistol and read option...and you always have to account for our QB on every snap.

IMO, our offense creates too many problems to be shut down or "figured out".

mikeak

Reaction score
The read option can be COMPLETELY eliminated

Just a shame that you will be giving up a lot of passing yards in those games...............

Everything can be game planned for but it comes at a cost. The read option w pistol setup offense has all the options of a regular offense plus running the qb. You eliminate running the qb at a cost and that is enough to keep the read option there even if you never run the qb because you just bought something....

Carolina will be super dangerous this year - just wait and watch. I am (hypothetically of course) putting money on them winning their division. They will be all out committed to read option this year and Cam is going to have a field day down there

sc85sis

Reaction score
I always thought it was a little gimmicky too. The reason I am OK with us running it is because it's a wrinkle, not the focus.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":3v9afukg said:
Side story, I'm waiting for the light rail this morning. Guy was there in full Stealer gear, with a James Harrison jersey, James Harrison??? In addition to the jeans around his knees and the hat barely sitting on his head and tilted sideways.

Why is it when I see Stealer fans they're always D-bags? I took a pic, I should upload it.

Photo1 zpsae4731e5

every time i see a steelers fan in a jersey or with a sticker on their car or some dumb hat I just automatically assume they are a bad person.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
This is turning out to be quite an entertaining hit and run by the OP. Still waiting for him to return to the scene of the crime and change the title of this thread.

Afterall, the OP is inferring that if they stop the read option, they stop Wilson. Since Wilson's name never even came up in the article he linked to, the OP is the one making that outlandish claim, not Tomlin. But it is funny watching people comment on an article they obviously never even read. It's like a domino effect of knee jerk reactions.

Well played sir. Well played.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Shaz":ias8ryzt said:
Thread title is seriously misleading

Other QB's run the Read Option

Tomlin didn't specifically single out any QB

He's stating that he wants to be the one to stop the Read Option, it's not a knock on Wilson
Seriously misleading?
You mean to tell us that Russell doesn't run the "Read Option" ?, um, okay.
Just like Worthlisbuger doesn't run around to buy time, or runs with the ball himself to get first/touch downs either.
Tomlin is talking out his rectal orfice.

themunn

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":2v0qehsf said:
This is turning out to be quite an entertaining hit and run by the OP. Still waiting for him to return to the scene of the crime and change the title of this thread.

Afterall, the OP is inferring that if they stop the read option, they stop Wilson. Since Wilson's name never even came up in the article he linked to, the OP is the one making that outlandish claim, not Tomlin. But it is funny watching people comment on an article they obviously never even read. It's like a domino effect of knee jerk reactions.

What? The title of the article is "Russell Wilson: Mobile QBs add new dimension to NFL"

The first 3 lines read:

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called the read-option offense the "flavor of the day" in the NFL. He doesn't believe it will have lasting success in the NFL.

"We look forward to stopping it," Tomlin said. "We look forward to eliminating it."

Quarterback Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks didn't lean on the read-option until late last season, but they were very effective when they broke it out.

Tomlin might not have said the exact quote "I want to eliminate Russell Wilson", but it's hardly a reach by the OP to suggest it considering the context of the article. The OP has just parroted the words of Gregg Rosenthal

Scottemojo

Reaction score
SalishHawkFan":12m9iz4s said:

You should probably click the link in the OP again. Then read the article's title. Then read the article. Wilson is mentioned.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
razor150":rhh1g4gc said:
FlyingGreg":rhh1g4gc said:
razor150":rhh1g4gc said:

True, but then the Rams only partially figgured out a way to slow it down for awhile, and then Bevel/RW just dialed up a couple more options, and the Rams came up empty again.
Having Harvin in the mix now, will open up a whole new can of worms to account for in the Seahawks RO.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
themunn":1r83vy17 said:
SalishHawkFan":1r83vy17 said:

What? The title of the article is "Russell Wilson: Mobile QBs add new dimension to NFL"

The first 3 lines read:

Pittsburgh Steelers coach Mike Tomlin called the read-option offense the "flavor of the day" in the NFL. He doesn't believe it will have lasting success in the NFL.

"We look forward to stopping it," Tomlin said. "We look forward to eliminating it."

Quarterback Russell Wilson and the Seattle Seahawks didn't lean on the read-option until late last season, but they were very effective when they broke it out.

Tomlin might not have said the exact quote "I want to eliminate Russell Wilson", but it's hardly a reach by the OP to suggest it considering the context of the article. The OP has just parroted the words of Gregg Rosenthal
The title of THIS thread is: Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson....

Tomlin is only talking about eliminating the read option. Rosenthal, not Tomlin, uses Russell Wilson as an example. It is Rosenthal who is equating the read option with Russell Wilson.

Everyone on here is getting all worked up at Tomlin as if he said he was going to eliminate Russell Wilson.

You all are acting with knee jerk reactions to the title of the thread. The title of the thread is misleading. The article by Rosenthal is about Tomlin stopping the read option, not eliminating russell wilson.

Let's look at those first three lines. This is how Bush led our country into war with Iraq, by talking about Saddam and Iraq, then throwing in something totally extraneous about the threat of nuclear war, etc. All the while saying he never actually said Iraq had WMD's.

It's a game of "which one doesn't belong?". I bolded the sentence that has no logic structure with the rest of the sentences. In the first two, Tomlin is discussing the READ OPTION. In the last sentence, Rosenthal is discussing RUSSELL WILSON. The result? Idiots equating Tomlin stopping the read option with Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson.

It infers that Russell Wilson's entire game IS the read option.

As I said, well played OP, well played.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Russell Wilson DOES run the RO at times, so Tomlin was refering to ANY and ALL teams that utilize it, INCLUDING Russell Wilson, and the Seahawks.
Pretty obvious to me that, that was his intention/insinuation of this particular matter.
Some of Y'all do understand, that way back when, Football was primarily played almost exclusively by RUNNING the ball, and that throwing the ball was rare as hens teeth.
So when the passing sensation (new option) was added, it forever changed how Defenses had to adapt, or fall hopelessly behind because of the new trend spreading like a wild fire.
The RO is just one more facet of the game, that forces Defenses to re-calibrate, and re-adjust for, and RW will use it to his advantage as he perfects some of the mental elements of what makes it work, and he'll throw out the elements of the option that don't.
It isn't just about tucking the ball and running willy nilly (old school)