EDIT: Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate....

kearly

Reaction score
Scottemojo":3fjnt86u said:
Already, 2 defenses are going to try and replicate Seattle, Jacksonville and Dallas. Our unique player profile is the future. Will they be successful? Anybodies guess.

2nd, ours is not the only way to stop it. My guess is that Tomlin would stop it the same way a slowish defense like the Ravens did: just hit the QB everytime he runs the option, and make the refs protect the QB.

My guess is more teams will do the 2nd option.

I think that is very well what might happen, but I don't think it will work. Sure, RG3 is made of glass. But Wilson takes few hits and when he does, he always seems to avoid the worst of it. Newton and Kaepernick are nearly comparable to Megatron in terms of size/speed but at quarterback. You could smack Kaepernick and then watch him run for a 60 yard TD a few plays later if your defense isn't fast enough. I didn't watch a ton of Calorina/49ers games, but I don't really remember either of those guys ever being shaken up from a hit and playing scared afterwards.

As far as Dallas and Jacksonville, they are both a long, long ways away. I think the next team that will stop the read option might be Chicago if they replace their old veteran LBs with young, quick ones. Perhaps the Rams as well- they seemed to have Seattle contained decently well in that week 17 game. Bottom line, I don't think we'll ever see more than 5-10 defenses in the league that can consistently contain it. The reason Seattle can stop it is mostly because they have the most talented defense in the NFL.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
themunn":1ngfyoin said:
"Russell" and "Wilson" are the very first two words in the article title, let alone in the actual article.. What Tomlin said is irrelevant right now. You accused the OP of linking to an article that doesn't MENTION Russell Wilson (those are your exact words quoted above), when it's quite clear he's linked to an article digesting Tomlin's quotes and applying them to Russell Wilson.
The only thing the OP has suggested himself is that Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson. And that's not wrong.
If Richard Sherman said he thought the Hawks will win every game next year (hardly a reach considering his confidence) and on one of the niner boards someone said "Sherman thinks the Seahawks will sweep the Niners" it wouldn't be a misquote. It's simply a smaller part of a greater whole,
Now if you said "the OP linked to an OPINION piece that suggests Mike Tomlin wants to eliminate Russell Wilson, good show OP", maybe then I wouldn't have said anything.
My bad, what I meant wasn't never came up in the article, I meant never came up in the interview. Typo there. Wilson never came up in the discussion with Tomlin.

And no, that does NOT equate to eliminating Russell Wilson, your analogy with going undefeated is not legitimate, as undefeated results in a sweep. Eliminating the Read Option does not result in eliminating Russell Wilson. Read Option is but a small facet of what he does.

Anyways, I got a big kick out of this thread. So many people getting all puffed up and out of joint defending RW.

themunn

Reaction score
themunn":3a7o35yh said:
My bad, what I meant wasn't never came up in the article, I meant never came up in the interview. Typo there. Wilson never came up in the discussion with Tomlin.

And no, that does NOT equate to eliminating Russell Wilson, your analogy with going undefeated is not legitimate, as undefeated results in a sweep. Eliminating the Read Option does not result in eliminating Russell Wilson. Read Option is but a small facet of what he does.

Anyways, I got a big kick out of this thread. So many people getting all puffed up and out of joint defending RW.

Oops, my apologies for jumping on a typo then (which was never my intention!), it just came across as if you hadn't bothered to click on the article.

And that's a far better worded point, which I agree with totally. Wilson didn't start implementing the read-option stuff properly until the Chicago game - he was 1 incomplete pass from tying the franchise record for consecutive complete passes just 1 week earlier in his rookie season, set by a Hall of Famer with 20 years of experience in professional football.

I guess the misunderstanding comes from what we believe Tomlin/Rosenthal/the OP mean by eliminate. I would consider taking away the read option as making Wilson "1 dimensional", which is pretty muh the best defenses can hope for. The problem for them is that he's still very good at that dimension.

nfcwizard

Reaction score
Tomlin couldn't eliminate a rapist on his own team, no way he comes close to eliminating dangeruss.

Latest posts