Peter King on Matt Flynn

mikeak

Reaction score
Forgot

1) AS proven that he can't make the superbowl comment? Attacking the post and not the poster but that is one string of words that doesn't rank up there with the better ones I have read on this board......... :) -- AS is a system qb - no doubt about it. With that said just like Flacco last year AS and Flacco did what they needed to have played in the Superbowl last year. Other players on the team failed

2) Flynn - no way ever he restructures. Bears gave Jason Campbell a $2 million signing bonus and $1.4 million base salary and $100,000 workout bonus. $3.5 million for Jason Campbell!!!!!!! Flynn is hoping he gets cut and nobody picks him off the waiver. Keep signing bonus, keep guaranteed money and get another signing bonus - holy smokes that would be fantastic. Who cares about winning superbowls if you are on the sideline doing NOTHING. It is one thing if you are the backup left guard or something but backup qb - you do nothing

OP
OP
theENGLISHseahawk

theENGLISHseahawk

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1ug5wjty said:
Yeah, Quarterbacks like Wilson are all over the Nation :roll: You really, really, REALLY believe that?

Did I say that?

No.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
Exactly, why would Flynn take less money to stay here and keep warming the bench? He's been in the league four years and only got his first chance to compete for a starting job last season. If he gets released he gets another shot to start somewhere, and if he doesn't get released he at least gets the big contract for another year.

None of us know where his head is at right now but he came to Seattle last year because he thought he could win the starting job. I can't see him giving up and accepting backup money without at least taking another shot at it.

pinksheets

Reaction score
Does anyone think Flynn wants to be on this team?

Do you want anyone on this team that straight up doesn't want to be?

I'd answer no to both.

mikeak

Reaction score
Just to add one more thought on this

So SF is trading AS. Apparently a "done deal". So if we had any ideas about a guy that could fit as backup to RW would slip to where he becomes a value pick lets forget about it. Why? Because SF is looking for the identical player. Not similiar but IDENTICAL.

I would also expect Carolina to play much more to Newton's strenghts this season as that started to win them games and the Redskins know they need another backup to RG3

So I seriously think there are four teams that are looking for a backup with the same skillset. This is in ADDITION to any team that think this is the future of the NFL and are looking for a starter with those skillsets.....

Just saying

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
mikeak":13fe8cbv said:

So SF is trading AS. Apparently a "done deal". So if we had any ideas about a guy that could fit as backup to RW would slip to where he becomes a value pick lets forget about it. Why? Because SF is looking for the identical player. Not similiar but IDENTICAL.
Don't we pick before SF in just about every round?

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
People refuse to give up on Flynn for the same reason as they wouldn't let go of Hasselbeck. Fear of the unknown.

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":29irtlix said:
mikeak":29irtlix said:

Don't we pick before SF in just about every round?

Yes but if we are going to use a 4th rounder for some guy and the SF team thinks he is a 3rd rounder he isn't falling. And did you note the other teams I listed? We have draft picks from several other teams so they will all be around other teams that is typically how the draft works......

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":27259sm8 said:
Makes no sense to release him. Pete's had one too many lattes.

It does make sense if you find your backup QB in the draft and you're planning on spending some money in free agency.

If you find a QB in the draft that fits the RW mold, it makes no sense to pay a guy that's not in your long term plans 4-5 million a year to hold a clipboard and runs a different style of offense than your starter.

Recon_Hawk

Reaction score
Just my opinion, but I think fact SF and SEA are both willing to trade away their backup and go younger/cheaper tells me the value of the #2 QB is not as high as fans may think.

mikeak

Reaction score
Recon_Hawk":13qyed2p said:
Just my opinion, but I think fact SF and SEA are both willing to trade away their backup and go younger/cheaper tells me the value of the #2 QB is not as high as fans may think.

It tells me that Seahawks and SF think they have their starter and don't need to be spending starter money on the backup......

If you have Tom Brady starting and Matt Ryan on the bench and they are both in their prime you simply don't keep both..... Not saying that is the situation here but it doesn't matter how good Flynn and AS are if they are not as good as the guy starting.

Remember Kaepernick is going to hit his resigning next year whereas RW has 2 years left to get there. 49ers need to create room for a $15-$20million / year contract right now

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
mikeak":100q06xy said:
We have draft picks from several other teams so they will all be around other teams that is typically how the draft works......
No way is it how the draft works?? Thanks for your wonderful insight!!

:roll:

Want to know how else the draft works? Teams overdraft guys you covet...you are honestly worried about SF drafting a QB before us later in the draft...THAT'S THE DRAFT! Other teams draft guys we want...why is backup QB different?

mikeak

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2rajopc5 said:
mikeak":2rajopc5 said:
We have draft picks from several other teams so they will all be around other teams that is typically how the draft works......
No way is it how the draft works?? Thanks for your wonderful insight!!

:roll:

Want to know how else the draft works? Teams overdraft guys you covet...you are honestly worried about SF drafting a QB before us later in the draft...THAT'S THE DRAFT! Other teams draft guys we want...why is backup QB different?

You know - your post led to having to be so blatant about how the draft works. Remember where you stated that SF drafts after the Seahawks?

And then ignoring this part of my post: So I seriously think there are four teams that are looking for a backup with the same skillset. This is in ADDITION to any team that think this is the future of the NFL and are looking for a starter with those skillsets.....

I didn't say we need to be worried about drafting a backup. But some people here are suggesting that you just cut Flynn to save money and pick up a replacement guy in the draft.

Lets see - how did the backup work out that first year when Dilfer went down? How did the backup work out for Chicago Bears the past two years? - NOT SO FREAKING GOOD

On the other hand how did a CAPABLE - not great but a guy that knew the system - work out for NE? Pretty decent the one year Brady went down

If you have a team that wants to make the superbowl then you better make sure the backup can come in and NOT lose games. He doesn't have to win them but if you are loosing games because of the backup sucking then you should have spent the money on someone else. Flynn right now will most likely not cost us games and if lucky he wins them. That is one heck of an insurance policy. If you can get something adequate for less then it becomes interesting.

Don't make stupid posts on chopped up quotes from me and play smart when I call out the BS that you wrote please

impacthawk

Reaction score
I think we will see a small restructure so it makes a draft day trade more palatable. It is in Flynn's best interest to be traded to a team that want's to give him a competitive chance at a starting role. In that scenario, I could see Flynn accepting a restructured deal packaged with a trade. That will be the most mutually beneficial outcome and allow something to happen this season. Then the Seahawks will use a mid-round draft pick on a QB......and maybe a vet minimum deal to add to the competition in camp. If that doesn't happen, Flynn will return this year and they try the same thing next off-season or gets cut.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3v1z7tf1 said:
FlyingGreg":3v1z7tf1 said:
Makes no sense to release him. Pete's had one too many lattes.

It does make sense if you find your backup QB in the draft and you're planning on spending some money in free agency.

If you find a QB in the draft that fits the RW mold, it makes no sense to pay a guy that's not in your long term plans 4-5 million a year to hold a clipboard and runs a different style of offense than your starter.

Who? People keep talking about the "Russell Wilson like QB" in the draft we can get to replace Flynn. Nobody has produced a name as of yet.

Nope, still doesn't make sense to release. Trade for compensation is Door #1, but you still need to have Russell's back-up identified, and I'm not so sure there is one. Unless you are willing to go all in on Wilson being healthy all next season.

mikeak

Reaction score
^ You can like it or dislike it but my name was Vince Young. He is broke so should be motivated. He can run and he can pass the ball better than Tebow. He has won games in the NFL for a couple of years and he should be able to come in.

Not sure if he has the brain power to do the read option which is my big negative.

Upside - not signed with anybody so he is cheap AND he saves a draft pick.

I would be fine with him AS backup and trade Flynn even for a 7th rounder to get the money off the books

Now lots of people are going to chime in and say no way Vince Young. Many of those will be the same people that said cut Flynn we just need someone to hold the clipboard.......... :roll:

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
mikeak":g7yhfw8e said:
^ You can like it or dislike it but my name was Vince Young. He is broke so should be motivated. He can run and he can pass the ball better than Tebow. He has won games in the NFL for a couple of years and he should be able to come in.

Not sure if he has the brain power to do the read option which is my big negative.

Upside - not signed with anybody so he is cheap AND he saves a draft pick.

I would be fine with him AS backup and trade Flynn even for a 7th rounder to get the money off the books

Now lots of people are going to chime in and say no way Vince Young. Many of those will be the same people that said cut Flynn we just need someone to hold the clipboard.......... :roll:
Count me as one person that would like to see the Hawks signs Vince Young. An athletic QB with a big arm who has proven he can win in this league. He won't cost anything. If he doesn't work out, cut him. But if he does, then we have a cheap backup QB who won't cost anywhere near what Flynn does.

AgentDib

Reaction score
theENGLISHseahawk":1vn85vj5 said:
Here's a poser for you... What if Seattle has found another QB they like in the rounds 3-7 range?
How many of Wilson's snaps would you want to give this rookie in training camp? A veteran QB is valuable to us this year in particular as it would let us give Wilson a full offseason getting starter+ reps. I think we all agree that a large reason for Wilson improvement over the season was the lack of reps last offseason that he overcame as he got more playing time.

I think this also has implications down the road. If we draft a QB as a #2 this year we put a premium on mobility, intelligence and a high floor (Matt Scott?). If we draft a QB as a #3 we can put the premium entirely on a high ceiling instead (Tyler Bray?). I see more value longterm in the second option because real trade value will come from a hit on a QBOTF rather then a reliable backup.