Black Monday Impact?

BlueTalons

Reaction score
BlueTalon":2qj9dqy8 said:
I'll be surprised if Cable is not here next year. He might interview, but I think he'll decide to stay here for a year or two. We're on the cusp of something great here, and I think he'll choose to be part of it, at least for a while. Remember, he came here after being the head coach of a dysfunctional franchise. Given the juxtaposition of that experience with this one, I can't help but think he won't be all that eager to jump into another reclamation project.
Cable is a local guy...not seeing him going anywhere. Isn't he also "Assistant Head Coach"?

Atradees

Reaction score
i would like to see Gus Bradley get some serious offer and take it.

The hire Wisenhut as our DC. That would be beautiful.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
Atradees":3sxx7s5t said:

Except that Whisenhunt is an OC.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
If we lost Bradley or Bevell I would promote Norton and Cable up to DC and OC, or just let Pete call the defense and Cable to call the offense. Hope we can keep everyone at least one more season but Cable probably deserves another shot somewhere, and at a premium location this time, like Chicago or San Diego that already have QB's.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Not likely Bevell will get his first HC gig over the growing numbers of candidates out there. If any team wants to fleece us of coaches it'd be for Cable who has had HC experience. Cable is the mind behind our rushing attack and offensive line schemes. We got two offensive linemen and a RB to the pro-bowl because of his efforts. Bevell is a decent OC but he's still green. People credit Bevell for implementing the option read in Seattle even though he's never ran it before. The answer to that riddle is Cable.

SharkHawk

Reaction score
Pete is the one who went with the option read. I am sure Cable figured out the particulars, but Pete was the one who got it implemented into the gameplan. Cable never ran it before, so it isn't like it was his baby or something. He's a darn good coach though, but I think he and Pete work very well together. Notice Cable isn't standing 2 feet from Pete like a lapdog at all times. One really interesting thing that is a bit off-topic, but sort of on, is that if you compare how Hawk coaches are even aligned on the sideline it is different than most teams. Most teams have a bunch of guys milling around the head coach. Not the Hawks. They are seemingly assigned places to be, and move out of that spot to talk to specific players, but notice how quickly Pete knows where to run when he wants to talk to Cable, Bevell, Bradley, or specific players? I seriously think part of his "doing things better than they've ever been done before" involves a map for where people are to prevent big communication miscues and such.

I think this benefits coaches and really prepares them for their own head jobs, because they are in charge of something. They are a mini-head-coach in a way and handle their business, and Pete is the CEO and his office is right on the sidelines in the middle with space around him to do his thing. He has a full view of everybody and I've seen him eschew the headset and run have discussions with Cable and Bevell many times, and knew where they were. The whole system works well. I'm ok if they lose a playoff game if they play well and give it 100%, because they are way on the right track. I have nothing but 100% praise for this staff and want them all back next year for certain. I just don't want Whisenunt as our defensive coordinator as somebody suggested earlier.

TDOTSEAHAWK

Reaction score
I think Cable would actually be least likely to leave. He had a head coaching gig already with a couple incidents and as long as he is getting paid well here - I don't see why he would want to leave. He strikes me as a guy who just loves to coach olineman and he has all the freedom to coach the running game.

Bevell just doesn't strike me as a head coach. He seems like a career co-ordinator. He has never been a Head Coach of a team as a professional. Moreover, who would want to pass up the opportunity to work with Wilson for the next couple of years and bide your time until a big pay day. He, like Cable, has full reign over the passing game. The job seems ideal for him.

Once again - the previous two are definitely predicated on money but if we are paying them well - I don't see a great reason for either of them to leave.

I think Bradley would be the most likely to leave - been through a couple regimes - probably has his own ideas on head coaching at this point. Moreover, because it is Pete's scheme they are running - he probably doesn't have as much freedom to run what he wants.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
I think the most likely to leave is Ken Norton Jr. Not for a head coaching job, but for a coordinator job somewhere. Although he has been pretty loyal to Pete Carroll, so maybe that will keep him here.

I dont see Bevell, Cable or Bradley getting head coaching offers this year. Maybe next year if we're really good.

sc85sis

Reaction score
When Ken was trying to get into coaching at the college level, he went to his alma mater (UCLA) and reportedly was snubbed. So then he went to Pete who was willing to take him on as a GA. He's been coaching for Pete ever since.

I'm sure KNJ will move on at some point, but I don't know that it will be soon.

pehawk

Reaction score
Do people realize Cable went to Snohomish High School? He's taking this over when Pete's gone.

hawks4thewin

Reaction score
i'm fairly confidant that All our coaches will be here as long as pete is.. None of them were anything before him, and there is a good chemistry
It isn't like any of them are in a hurry to go anywhere else.. I don't think so anyhow.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
pehawk":2vbnj2pz said:
Bevell and Bradley could be possibilities for SD only, imo. They go on the cheap and try to reel in naïve types.
I hope SD hires both!

Bigpumpkin

Reaction score
hawks4thewin":6dd1difj said:
i'm fairly confidant that All our coaches will be here as long as pete is.. None of them were anything before him, and there is a good chemistry. Isn't like any of them are in a hurry to go anywhere else.. I don't think so anyhow.

:13: When the team is playing well together, assistant coaches are less likely to leave. It is a great feeling to be on a winning team after what Seattle has been through the past five years. Asst. coaches usually leave when there is dissatisfaction on some level.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
pehawk":7v7f9uwq said:
Do people realize Cable went to Snohomish High School? He's taking this over when Pete's gone.

I've quietly been wondering this, given Tom's asst. head coach title, hometown, and the fact that Pete's approach has always been to promote from within.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SharkHawk":1suarsk4 said:
Read the moronic comments at the end of that Wilson article. Guys are saying that teams didn't miss, it wasn't their fault, that Wilson was "rated a 4th, 5th, or 6th round player". Who the hell do they think is rating those players at those draft positions? It's the teams you idiots. They felt Wilson was a 4th, 5th, 6th round or worse talent. That is why they got fired. They can't see talent. John Schneider actually saw Russ as a 1st round talent but knew he could get him in the 2nd... Pete talked him back to the 3rd. Brilliant move. Got Wagner and Wilson for the price of just Wilson if Schneider had taken him at 2. May have gotten the best offensive and defensive rookie out of that one decision. THAT is why it is black monday for so many front offices and coaches. I think the average NFL fan is getting dumber and dumber with each passing day. They are using draft grades created by those same guys as justification for keeping their jobs by waiting on him in the 5th or 6th where they thought they could pick him, because they said he was only worth a fifth or sixth. That makes zero sense to anybody with a brain.
Great points!

BASF

Reaction score
The only name that I think teams will want to poach has been brought up only once in this thread and mostly because he fits the Rooney rule. Kris Richard has done an absolutely fantastic job with the DB's who are the strength of our defense. Everyone brings up Pete Carroll as being a former DB and him having the huge impact on our DB's, but how many starting defensive backs did Pete Carroll put in the NFL during his tenure at USC? The answer is not as many as you would expect. Currently Polamalu is the only starter from Pete's tenure. Sure, several of his DB's were drafted, but almost none of them started and practically all of them were out of the league in a couple of seasons.

Currently, we have only one player in our defensive back field who people even recognized the potential of when we drafted him in Earl Thomas. Everyone knows that Richard Sherman deserves to be in the Pro Bowl and will probably be an All Pro this season as a fifth round draft pick. Chancellor was also a fifth round draft pick and he has been in the Pro Bowl. Browner was an undrafted free agent and he has made the Pro Bowl. What Richard has done is pretty much unprecedented and I can tell you that teams have taken serious notice. There are going to be teams that are going to talk to him about a higher position this offseason even if it's just assistant defensive coordinator and defensive backs coach. I don't think he would take a position elsewhere just yet, but I guarantee you that if this progress continues with the next man up playing well (Lane was a sixth rounder and has played very well in relief of Browner and Maxwell another sixth rounder has played well in his spots), he will get serious offers in a year or two.

themunn

Reaction score
BASF":3nub1a6c said:
The only name that I think teams will want to poach has been brought up only once in this thread and mostly because he fits the Rooney rule. Kris Richard has done an absolutely fantastic job with the DB's who are the strength of our defense. Everyone brings up Pete Carroll as being a former DB and him having the huge impact on our DB's, but how many starting defensive backs did Pete Carroll put in the NFL during his tenure at USC? The answer is not as many as you would expect. Currently Polamalu is the only starter from Pete's tenure. Sure, several of his DB's were drafted, but almost none of them started and practically all of them were out of the league in a couple of seasons.

Isn't that praising Carroll's coaching of DBs then? I mean, if they looked good at college under Carroll but once you take Carroll out of the equation they suck, doesn't that mean he's good at coaching them?

Atradees

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":hv8u7d7a said:
Atradees":hv8u7d7a said:

Except that Whisenhunt is an OC.

Shows what I know. I had thought the Cards were good defensively.......blah blah. No wonder he got fired.

A bad qb makes everyone look bad.