Schneider tried to trade up for Penix

WarHawks

Reaction score
Howell is still basically our backup, so it may be a moot point anyway if they draft a qb next year. Although, the likelihood of Howell becoming the starter due to injury is probably at least 25%.

GemCity

Reaction score
I wish I shared your optimism about Howell. The likelihood he goes from well below average to well above average is probably less than 5%.
A couple of factors that I hope attributed to his rough start:

Wash had a bad O-line. The organization ranks high on the “shit show” scale. May change with new management and owner.

Their O-coordinator had a rookie attempt the most passes in the league.

He threw for almost 4000 yards with 21 TDs and an equal amount of INTs. The physical ability IS there. Thats difficult if it’s not (at least, at this level). No doubt he needs lots and lots of work on decision making.

Factor 3: Drake Maye went 3rd. While I’m hesitant to predict who is going to be the next CJ Stroud, Maye went before Penix. Dice roll when selecting QBs right? Compare Maye’s college stats to Howell’s. Not bad!!

Now final ‘test’…without using Google or any other search engine, name more than one Washington receiver. Can you do it? If so, you’re better than me. I only knew of one because he went to my favorite college team..OSU.

I DO understand the hesitation with Howell. You may be spot on War. We simply don’t know yet.

This is undoubtedly a “glass half full” perspective. Filled with a lot of hope….

Reality may be different.

GemCity

Reaction score
I think Gem's point is that there's a high likelihood that 4-5 of those QBs fall on their face. Yesterday was all glitz, this fall is going to be mostly ugly. Howell still threw for almost 4000 yards last year.
Spot on Jac.

Yesterday was record setting. It hasn’t happened before. We just nabbed the #1 DT at SIXTEEN. The #2 overall defensive player imo (I have Turner at one).

I never mentioned Turner in the pre draft threads because I was sure he’d be long off the board….

Even with Turner being an arguably #1 defensive guy and available at 16, what did the Hawks need more? We’ve given up the most run yards the last two seasons.

Edges are nice. I have high hopes for Mafe. Nwosu is a very solid guy.

But plugging up the middle and then having Murphy drop into a 3 tech? Wooooot

Big question mark at Safety though. It looks like we’re solid but, I think we need Kam Chan…I mean, an intimidator that can synch with Spoon.

I know LB had been talked about….but part of me wants ‘that guy’ patrolling back there.

Last edited:

Jac

Reaction score
I wonder if they're in play to wait out Rattler at #81. The QB-needy teams overplayed their hand yesterday. There are probably 5-6 teams that have an older/experienced vet that could use a development prospect. The Raiders could be interested, though.

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
The Leonard Williams trade may have seriously hamstrung our long term future. Next year's qb class isn't nearly as good.
I didn’t think Jayden Daniels was anything great when he was at ASU and then he goes to LSU and wins the Heisman…

This day and age with college football, and the NIL, etc, you never know how “good” players, especially QBs are….sometimes it just takes a certain offensive coordinator and QB coach that takes possibly a 2 or 3 star unknown recruit and he has a sensational year and goes to the Natty with your local college team.

Michael Penix wasn’t largely known nationally, until he came to UW. He beat quite a few teams at Indiana but he was only a 3 star QB I believe and no one thought anything of UW this last year, much, less UW going to the Natty.

So, there is a possibility a QB emerges out of nowhere and becomes a star, somewhat overnight in college football. It can happen.

GemCity

Reaction score
We couldn't get from #16 to #8 with a second rounder. It would have taken at least next year's 1st (and who knows if Atlanta would even deal given how out of left field that pick was). I want to draft a QBOTF as well (the prior regime's decision making was negligent in that regard), but that's too much for Penix. Plus, QBs always emerge so who knows what next year looks like.
I had my fingers crossed for Penix. He’s special man..stays healthy and he’ll be gtg.

ATL screwed folks plans up and damn…it still doesn’t register in my mind as to why they went that high on a QB.

They know he’ll be special….a la Love getting drafted when they still had Ayahuasca Aaron

Jac

Reaction score
Spot on Jac.

Yesterday was record setting. It hasn’t happened before. We just nabbed the #1 DT at SIXTEEN. The #2 overall defensive player imo (I have Turner at one).

I never mentioned Turner in the pre draft threads because I was sure he’d be long off the board….

Even with Turner being an arguably #1 defensive guy and available at 16, what did the Hawks need more? We’ve given up the most run yards the last two seasons.

Edges are nice. I have high hopes for Mafe. Nwosu is a very solid guy.

But plugging up the middle and then having Murphy drop into a 3 tech? Wooooot

Big question mark at Safety though. It looks like we’re solid but, I think we need Kam Chan…I mean, an intimidator that can synch with Spoon.

I know LB had been talked about….but part of me wants ‘that guy’ patrolling back there.
Teams that picked in Seattle’s neighborhood had to be incredulous. Starting around the Raiders at #13 with Bowers, they were all like “we have the choice of anything we want”. It was like having a top-8 pick.

akscoundrel

Reaction score
Been watching college football for over 20 years. Not sure I've seen what Penix did.

He went to Indiana, then somehow got INDIANA #7 in the country.
He also beat Michigan and Penn State back when Penn State was good.

He then went to UW, a team that had won 4 games. He took that team to the NC game, likely got his HC a job at Bama.

That is a QB that carries his team to winning wherever he goes. I figured the Raiders and Vikings would both be all in on Penix (Penix would be a nightmare on the Vikings). Not sure I understand the Saints, but they do know prolific winning QBs when they see it.

The injury risk probably kicked Penix down a bit, but if you wanted a winning QB that puts up big #s - Penix seemed a perfect option. Made total sense the Hawks and Raiders would want him. Probably the Cowboys too if he dropped that far. Hell, Denver grabbed Bo....probably would have grabbed Penix instead if that was an option.

He wouldn't have fallen much farther regardless.

Lol what do the saints know about prolific winning qbs? Aside from brees, what do they know? They saw brees play at san diego and thought what a great qb. But you know what, so did every 12 year old in the country..

Payton the real eye for qb talent #Zachwilson2024

Even blind squirrels find nuts every once in a while..

CPHawk

Reaction score
I look at it like our first and second picks of this years draft are two incredible IDLs.

Additionally, my opinion is that Sam Howell will have a better career than 4-5 of those QBs that were drafted.

I don’t see anything negative about this draft sans our lack of picks.
In reality I’m not excited about any of these QBs. All have things that could make them busts. No sure fire guys IMHO like a Burrows.

If we are going to take a QB, I’d rather it be Travis or Milton later. Both can be as good as anyone, but if not you aren’t spending a ton of draft capital on them.

Jegpeg

Reaction score
With the way teams approach the quarterback position in the draft, we're gonna have to luck into one in the later rounds to get our next star at the position. Let's face it, we're never going 4-13. And even if we did, who's to say it wouldn't be another 2022 draft class.
Or get someone with talent but ended up in a poor fit in the draft that were unable to delvelop that talent. Could Sam Howell be the next Brett Favre? (He is younger than Penix and Nix).

SeaWolv

Reaction score
I don’t belive it. JS just trying to suck up to the UW fan base. What would he offer them? Some old QB and some mid round picks? We had nothing to offer
Are the Saints and Raiders sucking up too?

GemCity

Reaction score
In reality I’m not excited about any of these QBs. All have things that could make them busts. No sure fire guys IMHO like a Burrows.

If we are going to take a QB, I’d rather it be Travis or Milton later. Both can be as good as anyone, but if not you aren’t spending a ton of draft capital on them.
Man…Milton is intriguing for sure!!

WarHawks

Reaction score
I agree but that may be what Howell was for, in case one of this years QB's didn't fall in their lap. Now they either have to take another team's discard or wait until 2026.
Probably true. I have lots of patience, as long as I get everything I want right now. :cool::p

Jegpeg

Reaction score

I am not sure there is such a thing as a sure fire guy. The closest in the last 15 years or so are probably Luck and Lawrence who were pretty much universally regarded as generational talents. Luck was good but was unlucky with injury and shocked evertone retiring at 29, still early to tell about Lawrence.

Burrow, like Caleb Williams are probably the next tier down, clear number one picks in a strong draft class. Can still bust but the odds are in their favour.

The rest probably have a less than 50% chance of getting 5th year extention / 2nd contract as a starter.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
I'm not completely sold on this. Even if they did, it might not have been a serious offer. We just don't know. Also, there's a difference between making an inquiry and actually negotiating for a trade.
While I agree with everything you said, I think it perhaps wasn't a serious offer only because we didn't have enough draft capital to make it work. Like lowballing on eBay or something -- a lot of the time, a lowball offer is just a lowball offer, but sometimes, a lowball offer is the result of the person making the offer just not having any more money than that.

Latest posts