How/WHY did you become a Seahawks fan?!

Starrman44

Reaction score
BuddyRyans46":2b9vw2to said:
Starrman44":2b9vw2to said:
I was born in WA and raised in Palmer, AK. My brothers were Cowboy fans. One year my oldest brother accused us all of copying him, so my second oldest brother and I decided we would root for the eagles (that was in 1980). I was the youngest (younger than the oldest by 12 years), and had a natural alliance with my second oldest brother, so I jumped on the bandwagon with him. As fate would have it, the Eagles went to the Super Bowl that year (oldest brother was very dismayed).

In 1980 I was 3 years old and I loved football. I found the Seahawks on the radio on (if memory serves) KABN radio in Alaska. The rest is history. My brothers kind of had the Seahawks as a regional favorite, and they were secondary to the Cowboys (everyone returned to normal after that 1980 season cause oldest brother decided it wasn't so bad if everyone rooted for the same team). My allegiance was wholeheartedly devoted to the Hawks by about age 4.

Dad was a pastor and Sunday afternoons were spent listening with my ear to the radio while the family napped between services. Pete Gross and Steve Raible filled my head with their calls. We didn't have TV, so they created the scene for me. I wrote a letter to Steve Largent, had a couple of Largent jerseys. Spent most of my time throwing a football to myself so I could be Largent. I studied every picture of him so I could mimic his stance at the Line of scrimmage.

I remember being at odds with my brother for a Thanksgiving game (Cowboys vs Seahawks), I came out victorious. So many great memories. Now my two oldest brothers are Seahawks fans first and foremost.

I remember the Seahawks came up to Wasilla, AK for a charity basketball game. I met Manu Tuiasosopo and a bunch of other players. It was awesome. I remember Steve Largent came to Anchorage, AK to sign autographs, but I couldn't talk my parents into taking me to get one. One of my biggest childhood regrets.

Starrman, thank you for the thoughtful AND thought-provoking post. I appreciate it. Why didn't your folks want to Anchorage, AK for the Largent autograph?!

Oh, it wasn't that they didn't want to, we were just a really busy family. My Dad pastored full time and he was Chief of Road Maintenance for the Mat-Su borough (boroughs instead of counties). If they could have, they would have. They were all for going to the charity basketball game the Seahawks put on up there. We used to watch the re-start of the Iditarod in Big Lake, AK (by Wasilla) as well. So, they were all about getting us out to do stuff. It just didn't work out at that time. They probably thought there would be more opportunity as well.

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
Starrman44":228170k0 said:
BuddyRyans46":228170k0 said:
Starrman44":228170k0 said:
I was born in WA and raised in Palmer, AK. My brothers were Cowboy fans. One year my oldest brother accused us all of copying him, so my second oldest brother and I decided we would root for the eagles (that was in 1980). I was the youngest (younger than the oldest by 12 years), and had a natural alliance with my second oldest brother, so I jumped on the bandwagon with him. As fate would have it, the Eagles went to the Super Bowl that year (oldest brother was very dismayed).

In 1980 I was 3 years old and I loved football. I found the Seahawks on the radio on (if memory serves) KABN radio in Alaska. The rest is history. My brothers kind of had the Seahawks as a regional favorite, and they were secondary to the Cowboys (everyone returned to normal after that 1980 season cause oldest brother decided it wasn't so bad if everyone rooted for the same team). My allegiance was wholeheartedly devoted to the Hawks by about age 4.

Dad was a pastor and Sunday afternoons were spent listening with my ear to the radio while the family napped between services. Pete Gross and Steve Raible filled my head with their calls. We didn't have TV, so they created the scene for me. I wrote a letter to Steve Largent, had a couple of Largent jerseys. Spent most of my time throwing a football to myself so I could be Largent. I studied every picture of him so I could mimic his stance at the Line of scrimmage.

I remember being at odds with my brother for a Thanksgiving game (Cowboys vs Seahawks), I came out victorious. So many great memories. Now my two oldest brothers are Seahawks fans first and foremost.

I remember the Seahawks came up to Wasilla, AK for a charity basketball game. I met Manu Tuiasosopo and a bunch of other players. It was awesome. I remember Steve Largent came to Anchorage, AK to sign autographs, but I couldn't talk my parents into taking me to get one. One of my biggest childhood regrets.

Starrman, thank you for the thoughtful AND thought-provoking post. I appreciate it. Why didn't your folks want to Anchorage, AK for the Largent autograph?!

Oh, it wasn't that they didn't want to, we were just a really busy family. My Dad pastored full time and he was Chief of Road Maintenance for the Mat-Su borough (boroughs instead of counties). If they could have, they would have. They were all for going to the charity basketball game the Seahawks put on up there. We used to watch the re-start of the Iditarod in Big Lake, AK (by Wasilla) as well. So, they were all about getting us out to do stuff. It just didn't work out at that time. They probably thought there would be more opportunity as well.

Starmann, I understand. It sounds like you led a pretty spartan, rural, "old-school" sort of childhood.

OreIdahawk

Reaction score
My dad was a Hawks fan. When I was really young he took me on my first trip to Seattle and I fell in love with the city and the team. Luckily for me, the only Seattle sports team I didn't fall in love with was the Sonics. I can't imagine having one of my sports teams relocate. :(

acbass

Reaction score
When I was about 4 years old (1988 or so) I started loving the Seahawks. I was born in Washington DC, and when I was little I thought Seattle Wa. And Wash. D.C. Were the same thing. I moved to South Carolina soon after and my love affair only grew. I am ashamed and proud at the same time to say I have an authentic Rick Mirer jersey from the year they put the 75th Anniversary Diamond patch on the jerseys. I've never even thought about pulling for another team. Not when the Panthers were established and when I moved to Minneapolis for law school (they seem to really hate the Hawks here) I will forever live and die with this time as long as I still have a breath left in me. Go Hawks!

sc85sis

Reaction score
Grew up a Bears fan during the years Walter played. Cried like a baby when he died. After that I just got busy and didn't keep up as much.

Moved to Cali about a year before Pete was hired at USC. My sis is a Trojan, so I started following the team and became a diehard. Followed Pete to the Hawks.

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
sc85sis":1i1c5rz0 said:
Grew up a Bears fan during the years Walter played. Cried like a baby when he died. After that I just got busy and didn't keep up as much.

Moved to Cali about a year before Pete was hired at USC. My sis is a Trojan, so I started following the team and became a diehard. Followed Pete to the Hawks.

This post makes me : (

BobinLaConner

Reaction score
I was born here in Seattle, but grew up in Central Oregon watching the only teams that we could see on tv back then, which were typically the 49ers, the redskins, and cowboy games. I remember skiing at Mt Bachelor as a teen and they had a chalkboard at the base of the ski lift that gave the up to date score of the Sunday game. We would race down to the bottom to see the Redskins were up by another 7 points.

In about 1974 my brother and I were about the age where we could be caught tossing the football and wearing replica football helmets from JC Penny's with me wearing an Oilers Jersey and him wearing a Cowboys jersey. (We also played some spirited nerf basketball games with TShirts with Wilts number 13 scribbled in marks-a-lot on an old white Tshirt and him in Jerry West's number 44 but that is another story).

I think my first Seahawks memory was just that I was amazed we actually had a team in the northwest. My uncle helped me get the final missing Gatorade cap with the Seahawks logo to complete my set and later my mom and I used to sit in the car in our driveway or when we were on some family trip and listen to the static filled Portland radio station from over the mountains to hear the game, since it wasn't on TV. Then we would walk back into the house and talk about how great the game was even though we listened to a lot of games we did not win.

Later in the late 80s, we really got into listening to games (and watching when it was on our local tv channels). I moved back up here in the mid 80's and lived near the Kirkland training facility... I went in and had Chuck Knox sign his book for my mom, since she was such a fan. I think she was the biggest fan in the family. She went to a local charity event down in Oregon and got to meet Dan Fouts...when he asked if she was a Charger fan, she said, no sorry, actually I love Dave Krieg and the Seahawks, I thought that was awesome LOL. She even calls the local TV station now and gives them an earful when they don't have the hawks on and instead have the 49ers on. I watched a lot of Hawks when I moved back and I was lucky to go to a few kingdome games and even got to watch the Broncos game with that Largent hit on Harden...then race home and re-watch it on the VCR.

Fast forward (no pun intended) and now my wife and my two boys are Seahawks fans. My wife used to say, why do you watch this when you get so upset when they lose. Next thing you know she's asking for a Hasselbeck autographed football for Christmas and then later even a jersey. When we played the superbowl against the stealers (and the refs lost it for us), my son went up stairs in tears and came back down with his Tshirt marked up to read "Pitsburg sucks". So I guess marking up Tshirts runs in the family. We have a great time watching the games, going to training camps and following all the drafts and players. It's a great organization to represent Seattle (and the Northwest)...and yes even South Alaska.

So now, to watch Russell, Marshawn, Kam, Sherm, and all the new Hawks seems like just icing on the cake. It feels almost surreal to see them predicted for the NFC champs or even the Superb Owl. I'm feeling pretty good to be around to watch these guys doing so well.

I'm Hawk fan simply because they are our team...and thankful for what we are witnessing now.

great to hear all these stories... and of course Go Hawks!

AF_Hawk

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":1a8tsxqs said:
No one knows dark times like us lifers.

We watched a untalented expansion team become a contender, get SO close to the pinnacle, only to have a fat POS of an owner destroy that team so that we could suffer the early 90's. I remember being GRATEFUL that Mirer led the team to 6-10. It doesn't get any darker than 92. The season that would have been if Krieg was still QB.

And we never quit watching.

'92 was the year I became a fan at 10. Probably because of the hype surrounding Rick Mirer. I just remember watching a lot of Husky football as a kid and always hearing how the Seahawks needed a new QB or something to that effect.

OLYhawks

Reaction score
Forgive me if I am wrong, but I have a very specific memory from when I was around 5. Largent was the place kicker for a field goal. It ended up being a trick play where Largent bootlegged it out and ran for a td. Can anyone else recall that play? I've searched for it. Anyhow, that's when I became a 12, at the age of 5.

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
bobincovington":3jl4ah9a said:
I was born here in Seattle, but grew up in Central Oregon watching the only teams that we could see on tv back then, which were typically the 49ers, the redskins, and cowboy games. I remember skiing at Mt Bachelor as a teen and they had a chalkboard at the base of the ski lift that gave the up to date score of the Sunday game. We would race down to the bottom to see the Redskins were up by another 7 points.

In about 1974 my brother and I were about the age where we could be caught tossing the football and wearing replica football helmets from JC Penny's with me wearing an Oilers Jersey and him wearing a Cowboys jersey. (We also played some spirited nerf basketball games with TShirts with Wilts number 13 scribbled in marks-a-lot on an old white Tshirt and him in Jerry West's number 44 but that is another story).

I think my first Seahawks memory was just that I was amazed we actually had a team in the northwest. My uncle helped me get the final missing Gatorade cap with the Seahawks logo to complete my set and later my mom and I used to sit in the car in our driveway or when we were on some family trip and listen to the static filled Portland radio station from over the mountains to hear the game, since it wasn't on TV. Then we would walk back into the house and talk about how great the game was even though we listened to a lot of games we did not win.

Later in the late 80s, we really got into listening to games (and watching when it was on our local tv channels). I moved back up here in the mid 80's and lived near the Kirkland training facility... I went in and had Chuck Knox sign his book for my mom, since she was such a fan. I think she was the biggest fan in the family. She went to a local charity event down in Oregon and got to meet Dan Fouts...when he asked if she was a Charger fan, she said, no sorry, actually I love Dave Krieg and the Seahawks, I thought that was awesome LOL. She even calls the local TV station now and gives them an earful when they don't have the hawks on and instead have the 49ers on. I watched a lot of Hawks when I moved back and I was lucky to go to a few kingdome games and even got to watch the Broncos game with that Largent hit on Harden...then race home and re-watch it on the VCR.

Fast forward (no pun intended) and now my wife and my two boys are Seahawks fans. My wife used to say, why do you watch this when you get so upset when they lose. Next thing you know she's asking for a Hasselbeck autographed football for Christmas and then later even a jersey. When we played the superbowl against the stealers (and the refs lost it for us), my son went up stairs in tears and came back down with his Tshirt marked up to read "Pitsburg sucks". So I guess marking up Tshirts runs in the family. We have a great time watching the games, going to training camps and following all the drafts and players. It's a great organization to represent Seattle (and the Northwest)...and yes even South Alaska.

So now, to watch Russell, Marshawn, Kam, Sherm, and all the new Hawks seems like just icing on the cake. It feels almost surreal to see them predicted for the NFC champs or even the Superb Owl. I'm feeling pretty good to be around to watch these guys doing so well.

I'm Hawk fan simply because they are our team...and thankful for what we are witnessing now.

great to hear all these stories... and of course Go Hawks!

that was actually a touching story about your mom, bobinconvington.

niveky

Reaction score
I have lived in Odessa, TX most of my life. Born here. One of my mom's ex's used to always watch football and I remember in 90-91 not sure exactly when, but I saw Chris Warren run for the first time and I just remember thinking that if a person could flow like water, that was what it would look like....I was mesmerized by how awesome of a runner he was. Then my kid instincts took over and I was like...whoa cool...they have all that blue in their uniform, that's my favorite color and that's a cool logo on the helmet and I like that name...Seahawks....and years later here I am.

WSUhawk4life

Reaction score
I became a hawks fan because I grew up in Washington. I loved sports all my life so it was just automatic that i loved my hometown team. My mom believe it or not was the biggest hawks fan in our family. Her and my grandma!! were the first ones I attended a game with back in the King Dome. I was probably 8 or 10 at the time but that's where it all started.

Its Christmas eve in my eyes tomorrow.
as that ole Jets saying goes " CANT WAIT"

Donn2390

Reaction score
I have been in Seattle one time in my life, that being an hour layover at seatac between flights. I believe that qualifies me as a Seattle native..!
Actually I'm from So Calif and a very long time USC fan, so I became a Hawk fan when Pete left us for Seattle. I was a many year Rams season ticket holder, but after being abandoned by Georgia, I was lost and floating in an empty sea, looking for a new love. Seattle provided me with the opportunity to enjoy football again, watching Pete take a bunch of rag tags and slowly turn them into winners... It has been fun watching the haters and naysayers slowly becoming Pete Carroll fans, after years of hating him for what he did to Cougars and Huskies.
Looking forward to a great season. GO HAWKS..!!

Shelinhawk

Reaction score
I am from Mexico, and down here we have a bunch of Cowboys, Steelers, Raiders and Dolphins fans since those were the only teams that TV networks covered in the 70's and 80's; I was a cowboy fan for a small period of time, but from 1981 to 1985 my dad got season tickets for the chargers, and at that time I got hooked on football. My two brothers became chargers fans and I became a diehard Seahawk fan. If you have trouble explaining to others why you are a Seahawks fan, imagine what is like to be one in Mexico where nobody could understand why you follow a team with our history.

I moved from the border in 1986, and it became really difficult to follow the team for about 10 years, but I hang tough, finally when I was able to have Sunday Ticket, and now with the internet i have the pleasure of following my team REALLY close, this site is my home, even though i don't really post, i have been a big time lurker since its inception Seahawks98.

This year i'm planning on going to Seattle for the first time with my wife and my two kids which of course are Seahawks fans.

rideaducati

Reaction score
October 22, 1978. My stepdad, who I hated, was a raider fan. I was playing a game on Atari and without warning, that asshat walked up and shut my game off so he could watch the raiders. It just so happens that the Seahawks were the opposing team. Just to tick him off I started rooting for the Seahawks. The Seahawks won 27-7 and I have been a Seahawk fan since. Neither my love for the Seahawks or my hatred of the man that USED TO BE my stepdad has waned since.

kornd4wg93

Reaction score
Born and raised in Seattle. Went to HS with Jack 'no water 4 u' Patera's daughter. Jim Zorn was nice enough to come up to my Dad while he was walking my Doberman and unfortunately my dog tried to take a bite out of Zorn's hand. :( Good sport, though.