How/WHY did you become a Seahawks fan?!

SeaHawk80

Reaction score
Born and raised in South King County the year the Seahawks started. Dad was a fan and I was taught you are a fan of your hometown thick or thin, I've got the thin part down for sure, looks like we are going to finally get to the thick. Did not get fanatical until I was 12 and My Dad took me to my first game on my birthday December 23 in the Kingdome against the Donkeys.. Hated Elway ever since Loved the Hawks, We murdered Elway and I remember the chants ,, EEEEEELLLLLLLLWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, EEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLWWWWWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYY, so loud my ears rang for the rest on the night and into the next day. The obsession was born and so was the pride of being a loud fanatic for the Hawks, Huskies, Mariners and Sonics. Been a ton of pain in my soul being a Seattle Fan, Haven't watched Basketball since The NBA betrayed us and never will again. Hoping to become a new Hockey Fan soon, bring back the Metropolitans, that right Seattle is on the Stanley Cup, 1904 might have repeated if it wasn't for the Spanish Flu. My Only son born 12/12/12, :179417: that just reaffirms I am in the right fan base. Go Hawks

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
As a baby I was found floating down the Dawamish river by wild Osprey. They raised me as one of their own in their nest under the Alaskan Way viaduct.

Growing up in an Osprey nest under the shadow of the iconic Kingdome had a profound effect upon my fan hood.

It was destiny for me. CA CAW!

chris98251

Reaction score
Was Raider and a Rams fan as a wee tot, watching Monday night football and listening to Dandy Don Howard and Frank Gifford, the games I watched on Sunday were my getting my teeth cut about the rules and watching these guys do fantastic things. But Monday Howard would make them surreal with Half time Highlights and the whole Monday Night Football was like a event every week.

Saying that I would always hear that Seattle isn't a real city if they don't have a NFL team, loved the Huskies here but you know as a kid your get influenced by grown up talk. Anyway as a sophmore in High School we had the announcement we were getting a team and I submitted a name in the naming contest. I was a fan from that day on. I never had to hear again Seattle isn't a real big city, we also had the rising of the Sonics to a Championship team about that same time.

MLOhawks

Reaction score
Born into it.

Father became a fan in '76 when the team arrived, before that he said the Udub Huskies were the only show in town and the team of the PNW, and after that the Hawks took over the PNW.

seaNOmercy

Reaction score
Great Thread OP!

I was born and raised in Duvall & Carnation, WA so I never really had any say in the matter. I played basketball and hockey growing up, so the first area teams I loved were the Sonics (brings fury to my heart and tears to my eyes) and the T-birds (love the smell of the ice!). Once I hit high school ('00-'04) I became hooked.

I can actually pinpoint the moment to the Summer before the 2001 season when I went to an EWU basketball camp in Cheney and watched the Seahawks training camp. I had a Seahawks shirt on and I remember beng in awe of the sheer size of Levon Kirkland when he gave me an autograph (along with Koren Robinson, Chad Eaton, and ofcourse Mr. John Kitna himself among others, lol)...

On a side note, I remember how heartbroken I was when Ricky Watters wouldn't stop to give me an autograph, hated him ever since! lol..

I'm so pumped for Sunday - GO HAWKS!!!!!

Axx

Reaction score
because being a cowboy fan is too mainstream

Hipster-Glasses.jpg

AzHawker

Reaction score
Was born in kennewick and grew up watching the hawks play in the 80's. Been a diehard fan since, even thru all the ups and downs. Cant wait to finally taste the sweet nectar of a Super Bowl Win this year!

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
KCHawkGirl":39xtqrbb said:
Moved to Oregon when I was 12 they were the only team in the area. And it was just at the time that I starting thinking sports weren't a waste of time.

KCHAWKGIRL, I like the cut of your jib! :)

NJSeahawk

Reaction score
Got into football late, saw Mack Strong blowing up opponents for SA...been repping ever since.

Plus Seahawk fans get all the girlies.

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
Starrman44":3a2n50op said:
I was born in WA and raised in Palmer, AK. My brothers were Cowboy fans. One year my oldest brother accused us all of copying him, so my second oldest brother and I decided we would root for the eagles (that was in 1980). I was the youngest (younger than the oldest by 12 years), and had a natural alliance with my second oldest brother, so I jumped on the bandwagon with him. As fate would have it, the Eagles went to the Super Bowl that year (oldest brother was very dismayed).

In 1980 I was 3 years old and I loved football. I found the Seahawks on the radio on (if memory serves) KABN radio in Alaska. The rest is history. My brothers kind of had the Seahawks as a regional favorite, and they were secondary to the Cowboys (everyone returned to normal after that 1980 season cause oldest brother decided it wasn't so bad if everyone rooted for the same team). My allegiance was wholeheartedly devoted to the Hawks by about age 4.

Dad was a pastor and Sunday afternoons were spent listening with my ear to the radio while the family napped between services. Pete Gross and Steve Raible filled my head with their calls. We didn't have TV, so they created the scene for me. I wrote a letter to Steve Largent, had a couple of Largent jerseys. Spent most of my time throwing a football to myself so I could be Largent. I studied every picture of him so I could mimic his stance at the Line of scrimmage.

I remember being at odds with my brother for a Thanksgiving game (Cowboys vs Seahawks), I came out victorious. So many great memories. Now my two oldest brothers are Seahawks fans first and foremost.

I remember the Seahawks came up to Wasilla, AK for a charity basketball game. I met Manu Tuiasosopo and a bunch of other players. It was awesome. I remember Steve Largent came to Anchorage, AK to sign autographs, but I couldn't talk my parents into taking me to get one. One of my biggest childhood regrets.

Starrman, thank you for the thoughtful AND thought-provoking post. I appreciate it. Why didn't your folks want to Anchorage, AK for the Largent autograph?!

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
When I was 9, the Steelers were the bandwagon team of all time. My family, from Pittsburgh saw nothing but Black and Gold, but I hated those colors.

Then the Hawks took the field for the first time and my mom said "Hey, this is that new team in Seattle". I immediately latched on to the colors and from that first game I have never looked back.

Mick063

Reaction score
I was thrilled that Seattle had an opportunity to draft Tony Dorsett. Then they traded the pick for Steve Niehaus. I was kind of bummed.

Then I saw that they had the legendary Mike Curtis slated to play middle linebacker and I was jacked again.

All of this happened, of course, before I had even seen them play their very first game as an expansion franchise.

That is how long I have been a diehard Seahawk fan. Before they had ever played a game.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
I was born here, raised here, and grew up watching the Sonics and Seahawks.

I suffered through some lean years in the '90s as a kid (and thankfully had the Sonics and later the Ms to get through them), but I still love a lot of those mid-'90s players that I really grew into being a fan with after Dave Krieg, Curt Warner, Steve Largent, etc. were gone. Tez of course, but Chris Warren, Sam Adams, Joey Galloway...some of the best guys.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Went to a preseason game in Spokane in 1976 against the Bears. Was somewhat of a Bears fan since I was born in Chicago. Still remember looking at the helmets through binoculars and instantly loving the Seahawk logo. Still not sure if it was the first preseason game of the franchise or last one that year, but I have been a fan since the very beginning!

Faust

Reaction score
I don't post here much but lurk often. I've been a fan as long as I can remember. My parents moved to Kirkland in '76 and got season tickets. I remember going to games in the Kingdome, I was probably 7 or 8 and I remember being amazed how people would scream at the top of their lungs. I thought that was cool and of course joined in.

A few years later I played little league football with the Kirkland Steelers. I wanted to play for the Redmond Hawks because they had Seahawks helmets. We played the Bengals in the Kingdome before the Seahawks played. We lost the game but we got to stay and watch the Seahawks play from the sideline and got to meet some players. I want to say we met Jack Patera, Zorn, Largent, and Efren Herrera. It was an incredible experience for a little kid.

So I am and always will be a Seahawk fan, I wear 12 proudly! I must say after suffering through some dark times over the years the current team has me more excited than ever!

OP
OP
BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46

Reaction score
NJSeaHawk":2adzkp5w said:
Got into football late, saw Mack Strong blowing up opponents for SA...been repping ever since.

Plus Seahawk fans get all the girlies.

I live in NJ too NJSeaHawk! What area of the state do you live in?!!!

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
No one knows dark times like us lifers.

We watched a untalented expansion team become a contender, get SO close to the pinnacle, only to have a fat POS of an owner destroy that team so that we could suffer the early 90's. I remember being GRATEFUL that Mirer led the team to 6-10. It doesn't get any darker than 92. The season that would have been if Krieg was still QB.

And we never quit watching.