How/WHY did you become a Seahawks fan?!

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Moved to Oregon when I was 12 they were the only team in the area. And it was just at the time that I starting thinking sports weren't a waste of time.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Kreig to Skansi, and Kenny Easley. Grew up in Eugene, all my friends were/are 9er fans. I really didn't have an allegiance till the late 80's

-The Glove-

Reaction score
No idea besides being raised in Tacoma. I was a big fan of Montana, Young, Rice, and even Stokes as a kid, but I always remembered vaguely rooting for the Seahawks because they were the home team. Cortez, Galloway, and Watters are my earliest Seahawks memory. I even though Mirer was the shh...as kid lol

Starrman44

Reaction score
I was born in WA and raised in Palmer, AK. My brothers were Cowboy fans. One year my oldest brother accused us all of copying him, so my second oldest brother and I decided we would root for the eagles (that was in 1980). I was the youngest (younger than the oldest by 12 years), and had a natural alliance with my second oldest brother, so I jumped on the bandwagon with him. As fate would have it, the Eagles went to the Super Bowl that year (oldest brother was very dismayed).

In 1980 I was 3 years old and I loved football. I found the Seahawks on the radio on (if memory serves) KABN radio in Alaska. The rest is history. My brothers kind of had the Seahawks as a regional favorite, and they were secondary to the Cowboys (everyone returned to normal after that 1980 season cause oldest brother decided it wasn't so bad if everyone rooted for the same team). My allegiance was wholeheartedly devoted to the Hawks by about age 4.

Dad was a pastor and Sunday afternoons were spent listening with my ear to the radio while the family napped between services. Pete Gross and Steve Raible filled my head with their calls. We didn't have TV, so they created the scene for me. I wrote a letter to Steve Largent, had a couple of Largent jerseys. Spent most of my time throwing a football to myself so I could be Largent. I studied every picture of him so I could mimic his stance at the Line of scrimmage.

I remember being at odds with my brother for a Thanksgiving game (Cowboys vs Seahawks), I came out victorious. So many great memories. Now my two oldest brothers are Seahawks fans first and foremost.

I remember the Seahawks came up to Wasilla, AK for a charity basketball game. I met Manu Tuiasosopo and a bunch of other players. It was awesome. I remember Steve Largent came to Anchorage, AK to sign autographs, but I couldn't talk my parents into taking me to get one. One of my biggest childhood regrets.

WI-Hawkfan

Reaction score
Born in Everett, raised in Mt Vernon, moved to Milwaukee 14 years ago. Liked the Seahawks when I moved here, but caught the NFL bug real hard being around all these Packer fans. Now I'm obsessive.

Seafan

Reaction score
Aros":226xkgvj said:
I was looking through the JCPenney Christmas catalog in 1975 and noticed the Seahawks helmet, logo and colors and was instantly no longer a Vikings fan. (Had the Ahmad Rashad jersey to prove it. Just liked the purple and white Nike-looking logo...I was 6, give me a break!) When I found out they were MY hometown team I knew it was a match made in heaven. Destiny!

I thank them for my annual heart palpitations ever since.

I too am a former Viking fan who changed to the home state team. My loyalty to the Seahawks won't change even though I have officially lived more years away from Washington than in it. I did live in Minnesota for three years as a youngster and being a Viking fan in Minnesota was natural.

12th_Bob

Reaction score
Born in Olympia and moved to Idaho a few years later, never had a "team", just whoever seemed good when I was a kid, I liked watching the games. In about 2004 I started to get into football more and went to some newer Seahawks games. I went to the Kingdom a couple of times in the 90's but the teams were really bad and I wasn't so much into following a team. That definitely changed in 2004 when I went to Quest at the time, I really got into following the Seahawks then after the Superbowl run. It's more fun when following a team when they are bad and get good then just following NFL games for me now.

I'd say my Mom being a big Seahawks fan since their inception helped too. She said she followed the LA Rams for a while until Seattle got their own team and switched then. Dad has always been a Browns fan so times have been pretty tough for him.

Largent80

Reaction score
BuddyRyans46":2y5mpbso said:
Largent80":2y5mpbso said:
Because the Bears suck. Boring, but true.

Tread lightly, chubs. :0190l: :0190l: :0190l:

For all of those Hawks fans who have responded with their own, unique stories: Thanks. Let's keep them coming, guys. Fun topic to discuss while we count down the tedious hours till kickoff!

My "CHUB" does not tread lightly... :lol:

OK....I grew up in L.A. as a Ram fan in the 60's. I went to a LOT of games at the collesium.

I was there when the Rams played the Hawks in their first year. I knew I was going to be moving to Washinton the following spring. I loved watching Zorn and Largent.

So, I have spent most of my entire life a Hawk fan, even though I live back in SoCal now.

drdiags

Reaction score
Born and raised in Chicago, Ill (1955). Left for the Air Force when I was 19, stationed in Biloxi, Ms. Got into chasing women and partying more than staying up on my sports. Came to Seattle after getting out of the Air Force in 1978. With the lack of the internet and pretty spotty cable, absence made the heart wonder and I picked up all the local teams in Seattle to pull for.

Since then, I have pulled for nothing but Seattle area teams. My brother, who is a year younger than me and moved up here from Cali (Air Force) is the complete opposite. I have caught hell from all my family and cousins for abandoning Chicago sports. I tell them they should be thankful. It wasn't until I stopped pulling for Chicago teams that they had the '85 Bears, Michael's Bulls and the White Sox winning the Series. When I pulled for those losers, we had Bobby Douglass, Tom Boerwinkle and losers to the stinking Miracle Mets. Dick Allen was the man though. Not sure why the Sox traded Bucky Dent and some of that pitching from back then.

I tend to pull for teams that just cannot get out of their way. I guess when I die, the Seahawks will go on a run and the stinking Mariners will finally get their act together?

pmedic920

Reaction score
I was in high school, living in Spokane, when the expansion was announced. Decided on the spot, that this would be MY team. If I remember correctly, it was a few months before we even knew what the team would be called. Something sticks in my mind about a contest to come up with names. Not sure about that part tho. Any way always have been always will be. GO HAWKS.

Ampedhawk

Reaction score
Wisconsin born and raised. I starting getting into football around 10 years old. My dad was, and still is a Packer fan, but I thought that they had the ugliest uniforms in the league. I thought that the Seahawks had the coolest, plus I just loved Largent. Been a fan ever since, over 25 years now.

Kakaww

Reaction score
Born in Washington. Seahawks first game was when I was 5. Me and my pop would watch every game together. He would sit calm and collected while I freaked out the whole game. I would often lay on the floor and toss a mini football up in the air, trying to just tap the ceiling, which must have drove my dad nuts. Good times.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
BuddyRyans46":10dne3qv said:
I appreciate the response, and no offense and all Roland, but that's kinda boring... :(
That's fine. I know it's boring. There's no big story behind my becoming a Seahawks fan. I started following them as I could as a kid in rural Wisconsin during the 90s, with Favre's glory years happening. That part of it sucked.

Sarlacc83":10dne3qv said:
Because I hate Wisconsin.
:salute: Brings a tear to my eye.

The Radish

Reaction score
Started with the NFL in 1958 when I got interested in a team coached by Vince Lombardi. Then got on the train with the prennial losers in Pissburgh and watched while Chuck Noll made history there. Was in the service in the Bay Area, got to meet John Brody at a ninnirs open house in the off season.

But then was chasing drag racing and didn't get much chance to see any football at all for years. Then bought a travel trailer and we camped a lot so missed lots of ball then too. Finally in my winter hobby, I was a damned good bowler, averaged about +15, which is 215 for those of you not knowing. All the gang I ran around with were Ray-Duh fans and typical jerks about it. Just got tired of listening so decided to pick a team closer to home.

Later a couple of us held up the start of racing at Spokane Raceway Park waiting to see if Curt Warner could us get the win. When he did the entire hot loop at Raceway Park cheered. But the owner was less than impressed with us.

:th2thumbs:

Blitzfan

Reaction score
I was born in Seattle, but grew up in a navy family. We moved all over when I was growing up. No matter where I lived, I always considered my Grandmother's house in Tacoma as my home. I remember when I was young, like 7 or 8 we were living in San Jose, Ca. My father was teaching me football while watching those old Oakland Raider teams. Learned football watching Ken Stabler, Mark van Eeghen, Cliff Branch, Fred Biletnikoff, Ted Hendricks and George Blanda. I knew at the time I was watching greatness, but just couldn't get into the Raiders. A year later we moved to Mississippi and I decided that the Washington Redskins were gonna be my team. It wasn't long before my dad informed me that I could quite pretending the Redskins were from that Washington and that I could finally have my own team. They had just announced that Seattle would be an expansion city. Without a second thought, gave my heart to a team without knowing the team mascot or ever seeing a uniform or team colors. Been as loyal as a lap dog ever since.