So we aren't the only ones that think Mike Carey is a POS

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Had an interesting conversation Thursday night with a co-worker who is a Cowpatties fan. We were watching Colts/Titans while eating lunch in the lunchroom and lo and behold it's the rooster himself, Mike Carey strutting around and preening for the cameras like normal and my friend says "That's the guy that hates the Cowboys". My jaw damned near hit the table and I told him us Seahawks fans feel exactly the same way. So then, it begs the question is he so damned bad as an official that every team's fans thinks the guy is out to get their team? I'm beginning to think so.

jkitsune

Reaction score
What's crazy to me is that I distinctly remember a time, perhaps 7 or 8 years ago, where Carey was felt by many fans to be among the best officials. Not only did he not seem to get too many calls wrong, but he did a great job at explaining the nuances of some of the more complicated calls. That time has obviously passed, but it makes you wonder what happened.

Shadowhawk

Reaction score
jkitsune":252l5luo said:
That time has obviously passed, but it makes you wonder what happened.

For whatever reason, he started caring more about controlling the game and getting on television than making the calls when necessary and getting them right.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
He is a friend of Leavy. They were on the same crew at one time and the timing does coincide with Leavy getting lamblsted pretty bad for what most believe of him screwing the Seahawks in SBXL.

I have wondered if I am imagining this stuff because it fits my agenda or if I'm not actually wearing a tinfoil hat.

I also wonder if the NFL seems to want the officials to make game look closer than they might be if momentum wasn't tempered and that last game Carey did keep his hands in his pocket the second half so maybe he is just following orders but isn't as good at hiding it as some of the others.

kearly

Reaction score
FWIW, whenever we bash a head official lets remember that it's actually his crew that collectively makes good or bad calls. Carey has a terrible officiating crew, but it's hard to separate from that how much of that is his fault and how much of it is being stuck with a bunch of incompetents.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
Carey did a good job of screwing up on his own in that Tampa game.

Sturm

Reaction score
The_Z_Man":7qzdivrl said:
Shadowhawk":7qzdivrl said:
jkitsune":7qzdivrl said:
That time has obviously passed, but it makes you wonder what happened.

For whatever reason, he started caring more about controlling the game and getting on television than making the calls when necessary and getting them right.

Ha! That's exactly what Holmgren said about him the other day.

It was like: "There are some officials that understand it's about the players and the game, and then guys like (carey) who think that game day is all about THEM..." :roll:

Made me laugh.

Huh? When did Holmgren say this about Carey?

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
RichNhansom":3nuc3cyg said:
He is a friend of Leavy. They were on the same crew at one time and the timing does coincide with Leavy getting lamblsted pretty bad for what most believe of him screwing the Seahawks in SBXL.

I have wondered if I am imagining this stuff because it fits my agenda or if I'm not actually wearing a tinfoil hat.

I also wonder if the NFL seems to want the officials to make game look closer than they might be if momentum wasn't tempered and that last game Carey did keep his hands in his pocket the second half so maybe he is just following orders but isn't as good at hiding it as some of the others.

I do agree here. I don't really think there is a conspiracy against certain teams (like us for instance) but there does definately seem to be an agenda. If you think about how much money is involved here and look at the difference in viewership/attendance numbers (both equal big monies) of teams that are winning vs. teams w/ no chance it is very conceivable that this could influence the greed. This league has made their greedy desires very apparent in recent years w/ the desire to become international, league/player negotiations, and league/ref negotiations.

I think this was evidenced to a certain bit in the whole "fail mary" deal. FO's, analysts, and announcing crews are "encouraged" not to speak out against the reffing calls by the NFL. We have seen coaches and announcers fined and threatened for saying things about the refs in the past. The announcers proclaimed the catch a catch while it was happening and even after replays before they seemed to get the "word" and changed their tune. After that all we heard was non stop banter about how horrible a call it was by the replacement refs which resulted in the deal getting done.

I never believe in using any of this as an excuse for losing as I believe if you play well enough you should be able to overcome these calls though it is difficult and very frustrating at times. I think there is always a certain amount of bias in our observations of our own beloved Hawks but when you can notice it very evident in other non Hawk games; esp. if I notice it in games w/ teams I detest and can say wow they really got screwed there, then I do believe there truly could be something to all this.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
You know I was thinking about this the other day and I realized something. I have watched high school football on and off my whole life and there rarely seems to be any bad calls. Even in college games I have watched with less dominant teams playing each other, the officials never seem to get called out.

Now someone who watches alot more college games than I do could probably shed better light but for those that do, is there this level of incompetence in the college games that aren't highlighting high ranked teams? For example games that wouldn't draw much attention in the betting world?

For the college geeks, how does it compare?

sc85sis

Reaction score
RichNhansom":67ai0u48 said:
You know I was thinking about this the other day and I realized something. I have watched high school football on and off my whole life and there rarely seems to be any bad calls. Even in college games I have watched with less dominant teams playing each other, the officials never seem to get called out.

Now someone who watches alot more college games than I do could probably shed better light but for those that do, is there this level of incompetence in the college games that aren't highlighting high ranked teams? For example games that wouldn't draw much attention in the betting world?

Go to any PAC 12 team's football forums and ask what they think of glasses ref.

OP
OP
H

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
sc85sis":v0hi9qj6 said:
RichNhansom":v0hi9qj6 said:

Yeah he's brutal and has kept his job for years. Don't get it.

Reaneypark

Reaction score
sc85sis":3g31vjft said:
RichNhansom":3g31vjft said:

I see bad calls all the time in high school games. Mostly it has to do with refs not understanding rules.

FlayvaMeister

Reaction score
kearly":15qbjaco said:
FWIW, whenever we bash a head official lets remember that it's actually his crew that collectively makes good or bad calls. Carey has a terrible officiating crew, but it's hard to separate from that how much of that is his fault and how much of it is being stuck with a bunch of incompetents.
Your screen name suits you well ... as I Kearly agree with your post. I watch the NFCW games weekly,
and any other games of interest -- which affect the division -- I can fit it my schedule. I use to like this
guy. Now, when I tune into a game (and see him and his crew), I cringe ... knowing it's gonna' be a LONG
afternoon.

Ditto that, for Jerome L. Boger ... personally, I think they both try too
hard. If I didn't know better, I'd think they were trying to prove something ?

loafoftatupu

Reaction score
RichNhansom":2y9tb6c7 said:

I'm a believer. Notice how in these games that are ones the Hawks are heavily favored in that the first half includes very few penalties on the victim until they score a few points or sustain a couple drives?

They reversed a PI on Harvin for a holding call on Okung because he was holding a guy that was offsides. I was expecting two calls on the Vikes and instead it was offsetting. I don't think holding should be called on an offsides player anyway.

I watched 2 linemen get tackled in pursuit of the QB and no holding.. They called Kellen Davis and he hardly touched the guy.

I am very worried about how the Saints game is going to be called.

HawkWow

Reaction score
The 12 needs to arm themselves with wrist rockets. Shouldn't take long to make their point. I have no idea WTH is going on. A poster above asked if the NCAA is as bad? Hard to believe, and I don't think I'm reaching, but it might be even worse.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
loafoftatupu":30tvzyi8 said:
RichNhansom":30tvzyi8 said:

I'm a believer. Notice how in these games that are ones the Hawks are heavily favored in that the first half includes very few penalties on the victim until they score a few points or sustain a couple drives?

They reversed a PI on Harvin for a holding call on Okung because he was holding a guy that was offsides. I was expecting two calls on the Vikes and instead it was offsetting. I don't think holding should be called on an offsides player anyway.

I watched 2 linemen get tackled in pursuit of the QB and no holding.. They called Kellen Davis and he hardly touched the guy.

I am very worried about how the Saints game is going to be called.
I'm worried about the saints game for that very reason. You know Rog and the NFL would prefer to drag out the NFC race for HFA a few more weeks instead of it ending in week 13.

Unless Seattle became one of the NFL's new favorite teams overnight I fully expect an XL*lite performance by the zebras against the saints. Expect a ton of DPI and roughing the QB calls against Seattle. I would be shocked crapless if a straight up well officiated game happens that day.

That's why the Hawks have to bring there A+ game that day because IMO they are going to have to overcome some shady/poor officiating.

stack55

Reaction score
I think the nfl (godell) doesn't want to see blowouts. To many people
Would tune out. They would like to see it close. There telling the refs
To keep it close. IMO

Latest posts